LTD DV8-R Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD DV8-R
The ESP LTD DV8-R was designed to suit Dave Mustaine's own inimitable style and taste. It features neck-thru-body construction, Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz humbuckers, a TonePros bridge (strings thru the body), and a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard with a signature 8-ball inlay at the first fret. Its large frets make for easy playability and Sperzel locking tuners ensure tuning stability.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.4
 9.6
 8.4
reviews (5) 34 comments vote for this gear:
LTD DV8-R Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: Made in Korea, 24 extra jumbo frets, mahogany body and neck and a rosewood fingerboard with dot inlay and "8 ball" on first fret, Dave Mustaine signature on headstock, metallic silver finish, V shape body, Tonepros locking Tune-O-Matic bridge and string through body, passive Seymour Duncan pickups JB/Jazz set (Mustaine's own combo) 2 volume controls and 1 tone control, sperzel locking tuners. // 10

Sound: Made for metal but could be used for absolutely anything! I play though a POD XTL into a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 with a JCM 900 Lead 1960 cab. It has what I can only describe as perfect tone, its rich, full, bright but not too bright, the tone controll is really effective. This guitar can make any sound you want, perfect crunching distortion tones, beutiful lead tones, great harmonics, pinched harmonics are loud and clear, clean sounds are amazing too, georgeous clean sounds range from Blues to jazz to rock to anything its just so versatile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set-up sucked but then again I am a perfectionist, definitly very playable from factory but nowhere near its potential. Pickup adjustment wa near perfect but that's down to personal taste. Finish and hardware are all in perfect condition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built for live performance and is perfect for it, it's also great for home playing and recording. Hardware seems like it will last forever, strap buttons are very solid, this guitar comes with either normal strap locks or flushmount strap locks, I opted for normal because I don't trust the flushmount design too much. Highly dependable guitar, I would definitly use without backup if I had to. Finish is very good and I can't see it fade at all with lots of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal/rock and it is perfect for these styles! I have been playing for about 12 years and I have never come across a guitar that somes close to this one. If it were stolen I would buy another one straight away, hell I might buy another one anyway but in a different color. I love everything about this guitar, the extra jumbo frets make it so easy to play, it is very light and stays in position when you play standing up, the hardware is amazing! The locking bridge gives it unbelievable sustaine and tone and the locking tuners keep it in tune just as good as a floyd would, the tuners are also great because you can change strings really quickly because you only have to turn each tuner once to get to pitch because of the locking mechanism which is great for if you snap a string live. The sound of each pickup is perfect it is really strong and powerful and even though they are passive they easily rival the power of any EMG pickup even the active ones. There's nothing you could add to this guitar to make it better, well maybe a better inlay than dots perhaps but thats just cosmetic. // 10

LTD DV8-R Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Sound: It suits my style because I play mostly metal. The pickups are very well balanced, gives a good crunch on my Ibanez amp as well as very nice highs for soloing. I find the neck pickup is a lot nicer for both rhythm and lead but that's just my taste. For clean stuff I use my Vox Pathfinder 15, it needs a reverb pedal but the tremolo is nice. There is no background noise coming off the pickups but the control knobs seem backwards to me. Either way I love the sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is pretty good factory settings wise. I had to adjust it a bit for personal preference but the action was beautiful in the store when I first played it. This is the fastest guitar I have ever played and the action is perfect right up to the 24 th fret. Factory strings are amazing too, this is the easiest guitar I have ever played. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a beast, it takes a thrashing and keeps playing beautifully. I have had a couple of incidents with it coliding with things while I jump around like an inebriated chimpanzee and only the slightest stratch and dent to show for it, purely cosmetic. I bought this guitar to play, and I am so amazed by it's durability that I would definitely play it live without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal so this guitar is perfect for it. For non active pickups the sound this guitar puts out for metal/rock is amazing. The pickups are great for any sound and are well balanced for treble, mid and bass. If it were lost/stolen/destroyed I would definitely buy another. I wish it had separate tone controls for each pickup but its not necessary. Best guitar ever. // 10

LTD DV8-R Reviewed by: punksucks666, on november 15, 2012

Sound: This guitar puts out I very low end metal tone. I am running it through a Randall RH200G2 head with a Randall cabniet. The Randall puts out a hi gain sound, very good for the Dry Kill Logic, Dimmu Borgir sound. Because of the EMG's, the cleans aren't very good, but the distortion sound it puts out makes up or it. When you stand realy close to my amp with it, it lets of feedback, but a niose gate will fix that. I mostly only play hi distortion thrash metal, so the sound is good for me. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up perfectly. I had the bridge set up for a drop C so there was no flaws at all. My pickups were nicely set up so no compliants. The finish wont crack at all. The only flaw is the fact that when you lock the tuners you can still tune it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is very solid. I've knocked it a couple of times and nothing happens. Everything seems realy solid. I would gig it without a back up because I have no choice but too. The emgs set me back another $400 so I'm poor now. Howver it's is very reliable and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for the style of music I play, and the V shape just looks good to me. This is only my second guitar, my first was a dodgey Ashton. I've been playing for a year now, and the only guitar that I liked better was the Jackson KV2 King V, only because they had a floyd rose. ESPs and LTDs make some pretty good metal guitars, so if your a metal player, they are worth looking into. If it was lost or stolen then I would be pissed off, but I wouldn't buy another one. I would proberbly get a custom one with a floyd rose ect. But other then that it's perfect. // 9

LTD DV8-R Reviewed by: postmortem2006, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: www.Guitarampkeyboard.com

Features: I got this online as I've been looking to buy one of these guitars for years now, and since Dave Mustaine left ESP for Dean they've become increasingly hard to come by. Alls well though, I got mine in snow white finish a few days back and I love it. Well, damn, where to start?! Amazing Flying V shape, made in japan (I think), neck-thru body construction, Seymour Duncan pickups, rosewood fretboard (24 jumbo frets! ), maple neck, volume, tone and 3-way selector, mahogany body, absolutely beautiful finish, moment I saw one of these guitars for the first time I knew I had to have one, and goddammit am I glad I got one. If you can find this guitar anywhere then buy it, you won't regret it! // 10

Sound: I gotta say, this guitar suits my style perfectly. I play thrash metal (Megadeth, Vio-lence, Testament, Death Angel etc, real thrash) and this guitar seems to have been made with this in mind. What else would you expect from a Dave Mustaine signature guitar? The Seymour Duncan really gives the distortion a kick in the nuts and I found myself shredding through the likes of Blackmail the Universe and Holy Wars with ease. Put it though a Boss MT2 Metalzone pedal and you're in for some hellafied crunch. You can use this guitar for almost any genre of metal, although I haven't bothered downtuning mine yet, I use my Washburn Dime guitar or that. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was in perfect order when I got this. My main concern was whether or not I'd have to alter the action once I got it. I can safely say that the action seemed fine when I recieved the guitar in the post. Then again it all depends what you're used to doesn't it? // 9

Reliability & Durability: Even though I've only had this guitar for a few days, I gotta admit I've accidentally banged it about quite a lot. But still, not a single dent or scratch to be found! It's a really solid guitar, and from ESP/LTD I wouldn't expect anything less. It's certainly bult to last. // 10

Overall Impression: All I can say is that this guitar is absolutely perfect for me. If you play thrash metal then you quite simply need this guitar. I've played countless guitars in recent years trying to find the right one for me and I never found it, until I played one of these beauties at a store in cardiff. On top of this I own a Washburn Dimebag V, which has been battered around a hell of a lot sadly (which is why I bought this in the first place). If someone stole this guitar I'd probably shoot myself because it's such an amazzing guitar and they're becoming increasingly expensive and hard to come by, the only guitar I could possibly compare this to in Dave Mustaine's own Dean VMNT series, and even they aren't as good os this. If you can, buy one of these badasses, they're more than worth it. // 9

LTD DV8-R Reviewed by: breadfan82, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash.com

Features: My DV8-R is an '06 model, made in Korea. It has a solid mahogany body, three-piece mahogany neck with 24 jumbo frets and a 25 1/2 inch scale. I have the snow white finish with the black pickguard. The body style is obviously the giant V style that Dave has made so popular. It has a Tone Pros locking bridge with string-thru-body. It also came rigged with the Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine Live Wire active humbuckers. It has a three-way selector Switch with 2 volume knobs and 1 tone knob, and Sperzel locking tuners. Also came with the Dunlop Flush-mount strap locks. // 10

Sound: This guitar is exactly what I need for my style, because I play mostly metal and thrash. I use a DigiTech GNX4 and two amps, a Marshall MG50DFX and a Peavey Bandit 112. This guitar has so much versatility when it comes to what tones and sounds you can create. The pickups are active, but are extremely well rounded in terms of tone and shape, and still rival the sheer power of any EMG pickup to date. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I had to adjust the action a bit, it seemed too low for me, and I had to adjust the pickups to my liking, but afterwards, the guitar was perfect. I had to tighten the tuning key on the high E string, but that was the only flaw, which most likely occurred during shipping. Finish is very even and solid, and it was damn near tuned perfectly when it got to my house after a week on the road. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live playing? This guitar would withstand a train wreck. The hardware is very high quality, and seems like it will last at least as long as the guitar itself. There are no strap buttons, due to the Dunlop Flush-mount locks, but they work very well and seem to be of rather high quality. I would never use any guitar without a backup, that's just silly. Always bring a backup in case something insane happens and your axe dies. The finish is the best I've seen on any guitar, and should last the entire life of the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, I play thrash and metal, so this is not only a good match, but a perfect one. I have been playing for almost nine years, I own a B\.C\. Rich Warlock, a Jackson King V, and an Epiphone 1958 Gothic Explorer, and this thing is the best out of all of them. I would get another if it were lost or stolen, because this thing is so playable and versatile that it would be a mistake to not have one. I love everything about it, but if I could change something, I would make the neck just a tad bit slimmer. It's pretty speedy as it is, I just wish it was a little thinner. I compared it to the Gibson Flying V, and the DV-200, and I know I got the right one. It has better sound and looks, and it plays better than the other V-shaped axes out there. I also wish that the hardshell case would have came with it instead of having to buy it separately (it cost me another $130), but I guess it doesn't bother me too much. Way to go, ESP. This guitar is incredible. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014