LTD EC-1000 Deluxe MGO Review

8.3
review (1) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
LTD EC-1000 Deluxe MGO Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: SD Alnico II Humbuckers x2, Set-Neck Construction, 24.75" Scale, Mahogany Body, Mahogany Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard, 42mm Earvana Compensated Nut, Thin you Neck Contour, 24XJ Frets, Chrome Hardware, ESP Locking Tuners, Tonepros Locking TOM Bridge & Tailpiece... // 10

Sound: Perhaps the nicest aspect of this guitar is that it has big bucker fullness in spades. ESP/LTD makes an excellent product and the Gold Top EC 1000 is perhaps the star of the EC 1000 line with it's Vintage styling and sound. I play through a bassman, Egnater tourmaster and an 18 watt Custom marshalized head through a pair of Marshall celestion 2x12's. I only need to add a tube screamer and I have my tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Top notch components. Tone Pros and Earvana are products that normally don't come stock. Seymour Duncan Alnico II humbuckers are solid and sound excellent. The locking tuners are a little small but are solid machine heads. I have big hands so the neck is a little on the small side, but it's real easy to get accustomed to and is quite faster than comparable LP's. The tummy cut is appreciated and helps a little with the weight, but is not severe as to effect the overall look. The Gold Metallic paint job is flawless as is the clear coat. I believe its a poly finish so it's a little thicker than nitro, but it resonates nicely and can play it without plugging in. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far no issues. The finish is very durable. I believe the quality is there for this to be in the stable for awhile. Yeah, no issues and would play this without a back-up. It's one of those age long questions in the nitro vs poly camps. I like poly finishes as they tend to provide ample opportunities for recovering from scratches where as nitro may not. I like nitro with some tone woods like maple. Ash or mahogany I prefer poly- fewer humidity and shrinkage issues. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been a blues player since starting out in 1974 when I got my first Montgomery Wards electric then played Gibson and Fender exclusively for years. Over the past decade, I tried numerous makers and really like the LTD ESP line. Especially the EC 1000 as a replacement for the Gibson Les Paul which has seen some quality issues in recent years. I like the fact that I can have a good quality instrument that looks and plays killer. I've had this for 6 months and have this, a customized US Fender Strat and a Japanese Fender Jazzmaster. All great guitars. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600EC Gus G 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014