LTD EC-401 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 01/25/2013 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD EC-401
The thin U-shaped neck contour and 24 extra jumbo frets make the LTD EC-401 an extremely playable electric guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 8.9
 8.8
 8.9
reviews (4) pictures (4) 97 comments vote for this gear:
LTD EC-401 Reviewed by: Metalcore Jero, on november 15, 2012

Features: Not sure on the year or exactly when this beast was conceived, but its a tank. 24 frets, Thin 'U' shaped contour neck, 24.75 scale, Mahogany body and neck, Grover tuners, EMG 81(bridge)/60(neck) combo, TOM bridge and tailpiece, a 42mm earvana compensated nut, Grover tuners, Black Nickel hardware and a rosewood fretboard. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal (think Megadeth to Iron Maiden)to death metal (Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Psycroptic) and this monster handles it all with absolute ease. The 81 gives me amazing attack and almost zero noise and the 60 gives me pretty alright sounds too when I'm in the mood for something softer. I run this through a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 and it screams. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was superb when it arrived to me and the pickups were at just right height. The finish is flawless (mines the black) and it looks damn sexy. All the hardware is sturdy, theres no dead or buzzing frets at all and the pickup selector works wonderfully. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has already accompanied me to three live shows and its kicked ass hard at all of them. I put schaller strap locks on just for safety and this thing moves with me everywhere I go on stage with ease. I never gig without a backup however, but I feel as though I can trust this guitar and the finish is still going strong with no stratches or dents. The only time I had to change it was for a downtuned song. // 10

Overall Impression: For my styles this fits me perfectly. Its over taken my DKMGT as my main axe and put my KE2 into an early retirement. Run through my JCM 2000 it sounds like a dream. If it were stolen the things I would do the guy are so horrific peoples grandmothers would have heart attacks just thinking about it. After playing for three years, I'm pretty picky about all my axes and this one competes with the best of them. I was a little cautious at first being solely a Jackson player at first but I'm glad I bought this guitar. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a Les Paul shape on a budget of $700 and lower. // 9

LTD EC-401 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 700

Purchased from: Dragon Music Forli

Features: This guitar has been manufactured in Indonesia in 2008 I suppose. Look and finish are very accurate, this guitar has nothing to envy to its American ESP sisters. Body and (thin you set) neck are made of heavy mahogany, which gives this guitar a very noticeable sustain. A TOM bridge and tailpiece plus a earvana nut are featured on this beautiful instrument that looks great and sounds amazingly thanks to the well-known EMG 60/81 (hetfield's fav configuration). The guitar itself is very playable and versatile since you play heavy genres, thanks to 24 extra jumbo frets and a very very very smooth fingerboard that makes every bending very easy and comfortable to perform. Action is insanely low and, with a nice setup, you can make this lady scream in every. I own a Olympic White one, with neck and body binding and I'm very happy with it. // 9

Sound: This axe is made for heavy genres. I use it for playing classic metal, heavy metal, rock and some other heavy genre and it's very very good for that. Despite I heard from more than a guy that emgs sound cold and lacks of dynamics, I must admit that I can obtain a wide range of sound from this guitar and I think that it's still very versatile (unless you want to play rockabilly...), heavy, roaring and deep. I play thru crybaby 535q wah -> Danelectro Fab Metal -> Danelectro Fab Distortion -> Marshall stereo chorus -> Laney vc 50 and I'm very happy for this configuration, but onestly I think that this guitar has its best scream when plugged into a Marshall jcm. Not a noise can be heard when plugged, properly equalised and resting. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Not a single flaw can be found on this guitar, ESP/Ltd guys made a great job. The axe was pretty set by my reseller even if I think that a competent luthier could do better. I felt in love for this lady because she sounds and looks great. Great deal for it's price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I immediately replaced its strap buttons with Schaller straplocks, I want to have safe sex with this girl! I would never gig without a backup but this instrument seems made to last and feels and look very durable and well built. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 1 year and half now and this is one of the best guitars I ever played (I tried and owned gibsons, jacksons, epiphones and many others). Ec-401 can perfectly handle aggressive and heavy styles of playing and shines on stage. A very very nice deal for 700. If it'd be stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again, or would try a an ex or EC 1000. // 9

LTD EC-401 Reviewed by: oracles, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: C$ 650

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: Basic Specs: - Indonesian Built - Mahogany Body & 24 fret neck - Set Neck construction - 24.75' Scale - Rosewood fretboard - 42mm standard nut - Thin 'U' neck contour - Grover non locking tuners - TOM bridge and tail piece - EMG 81(B) & 60(N) pickups - 3 way toggle switch - Bridge volume, neck volume, master tone controls - White plastic body & neck binding // 9

Sound: I use this guitar for Drop D and D Standard, and play a variety of metal on it from Lamb Of God to Decapitated, which it handles quite well. Run through a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, the sound is monstrously heavy. The EMG 81 provides a tight attack with little noise, and the 60 gives me those screaming lead parts without a challenge. Outside the realm of metal though, it is apparent the EMG's are indeed one trick ponies, but I use this guitar for metal and that's what they're built for. The guitar itself doesn't feedback much at all, and remains largely noiseless when its idle, but that quickly changes once you start playing. The neck isn't super thin, but its not uncomfortably big either. A few minutes of playing should allow you to adjust to it, though it took me a few minutes to adjust to the smaller scale for sweeps. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't comment on the factory setup or strap buttons, as I had it setup for me in D standard and the buttons replaced for Schaller locking. No flaws I've seen thus far, but it should be noted it finger prints like a bitch. I baby all my guitars though so she gets a polish and wipe down after each use. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar withstands live playing quite well, but it is a tad on the heavier side, though this is expected of the LP body style anyway. The hardware definitely seems like it will last, and hasn't given me any problems so far, most noticeably the Grover tuners. I wouldn't gig without a backup, solely because you never know what might happen, but I've played whole sets with it without issues. // 9

Overall Impression: For my metal styles I'm pretty happy with this guitar, though sometimes I do wish for the 25.5' scale. If it were stolen or lost, I can't say I'd buy it again, purely because I'd like to try something different next time. That said it is a great guitar and well worth the price paid, especially if like me you aren't a fan of the horrible binding seen on the 1000 series. don't be put off by the large number of kids using it in their '-core' bands, it is worth your time if your looking for a Les Paul shaped guitar for metal or hard rock applications. // 8

LTD EC-401 Reviewed by: Alex_lhp, on january 25, 2013

Price paid: € 800

Purchased from: 4Sound/Muiskbörsen (Sweden)

Features: This guitar is featuring everything you would like to have on a Les Paul-styled guitar, nothing to say more here really. The specs are very much findable online but yeah it's made in Indonesia, the included pick ups are one EMG 81 at the bridge and one EMG 60 at the neck. But as I said everything is there, at least for this price range. It doesn't have locking tuners. It has 24 XJ Jumbo Frets. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal and hard rock but a bit classical as well. It works great! I use it with a Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo and it sounds terrific! Together with the tube amp it creates a really warm, rich and beautiful sound (see Slash/Steve Vai/Satriani etc). The only con is that, yes, it is a bit noisy. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was all fine from factory, however after a while I needed to bend the guitar neck. And after a while after this I needed to do it again... And again... And again. Which leads to the next box. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've used the guitar live and yes, it works fine. However one of the three volume/tone knobs always fall off, the neck alway twist itself back to a pretty bent position after just a couple of months after I've bent it into a good position again. But this isn't really the largest problem with the guitar. This is where we comes to fret noise, and it's bad. I've done everything I can and also sent it for service but the damn fret-noise simply won't stop and that, my friends, is the only "real" con with this, otherwise really good guitar. // 6

Overall Impression: Really good guitar but think about the fretnoise-problem, it's pretty darn irritating! It gave me a really bang for the bucks guitar when I bought it 3 years ago but honestly I think that these small problems with it can make it feel kind of "low-quality". // 7

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD Xtone PC-2-12 9.3 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014