LTD EC-500 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD EC-500
The LTD EC-500 guitar replaces the EC-2005 anniversary model in LTD line. It features a set neck 24.75" scale design, mahogany body, 3-piece maple neck with 24-fret ebony fingerboard with model name at the 12th fret, string-thru body bridge, and EMG 81/60 pickups.
 Features: 9.5
 9.1
 9.5
 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (2) 65 comments vote for this gear:
LTD EC-500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: This was made in 2006 and is the replacement to last years anniversary series. Made in Korea, 24 jumbo frets, mahogany body, ebony fretboard, set neck, EMG 81/60 pickups. It has a satin finish, string thru body, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 1 volume 1 tone, and Grover tuners. // 9

Sound: Great guitar for hardrock or metal. The EMG pickups are pre-amped internally so much less noise in high gain settings. The neck pickup is very bright, as is the bridge but with a little more bite for rythim or artificial harmonics. Not a lot of low-end growl, so I would not recommend it with a Boss Metal Zone or any other really treble heavy stompboxes. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This factory setup was quite good. I have played many ESP's where I thought the action was a little too low, but not this one. Intonation was dead on, I raised the pickups a litttle as you can have EMG's very close to the strings without worrying about any magnetic fields killing string vibration. All that stuff is to be expected though (personal preference). Finish, frets, woods, hardware, nut, and everything else were exceptional. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far this guitar is every bit as good as the day it came home. Neck is still straight as an arrow. Nice toggle switch too. Strap buttons are big and quite solid, which is rare these days. I would gig with this with no backup provided I had an extra 9 volt! I'm a little concerned about the finish in the long run, satin finishes tend to show scuffs and oils (from forearm or palm) quite visibly, but really as a workhorse guitar, small concern! // 8

Overall Impression: I have been a longtime fan of the Korean ESP, but a first time owner. Great guitar for the heavy stuff. Very comfortable to play with the body contours and weight distribution. If this guitar was lost or stolen I would have no hesitation to buying another. // 9

Purchased from: Thomann.com

Sound: I like to play the heavy stuff on this guitar and it is perfect for it. The EMG's are a dream, really bright and heavy. The neck pickup has a warm tone which is perfect for the solos. The bridge pickup screams! Artificial harmonics sounds great! This guitar sounds awesome with distortion but has been critisised for its clean sound. I have found that you can infact a very good clean tone on this guitar. I have a Marshall VS65R amplifier and use the Ibanez turbo tube screamer. This guitar already sounds heavy through just the overdriven channels, but with the Ibanez screamer. Oh yes. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When the guitar came to me it had the perfect setup, all I had to do was tune it up and away I was. I have had this guitar now for several months, so far no problems and I am pretty confident this guitar will last me many years to come. I have heard people being worried about satin finishes being easily scratched but this is not entirely true. I have bumped this guitar many times and so far have not yet discovered a scratch! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a workhorse guitar, solid as a rock:P The hardware on this guitar, I'm confident, will last for a long time. On many other guitars I have tried I felt uncomfortable as I felt the strap could just fall off as the strap buttons were so small. On this guitar though, the strap buttons are much larger and very sturdy. This guitar is very dependable. So far no problems. Regardless I would never gig without a backup. You never know. The finish seems like it will last for a long time, no discolourations or anything. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for rock/metal. The EMG's give it an amazing umph! The only regrets I have about this guitar is finding out I could of bought it for cheaper than I did. If I lost or had this guitar stolen from me I would hunt down the person that did it. If I couldn't get it back I would definitely buy this guitar again. I love this guitar for it's heavy sound, perfect for solo's and riffage. // 10

Purchased from: Musicians friend

Features: I'm doing a review on the ESP LTD EC-500. First things are it has all the usual ESP goodies like a 42mm nut 25.5 inch scale 24 XJ Frets slim you shaped neck, But this comes included with EMG pickups 81B/60N with mother of pearl inlays 3 way Les Paul style selector switch with a gloss black finish with white binding. Set Neck, tune-o-matic bridge and of course the ESP specific model number inlayed at the 12th fret. // 10

Sound: Well I went from an Epiphone Explorer with a complete custom setup and then bill hardins music messed it up completely whe n I had some wiring problems. So in return they paid ahlf and as much as I loved my Epiphone this was my first guitar with emgs and damn I love their sound. The EMG 60 provides incredibly warm bright clean tones but with some gain will give some hellacious crunch while the neck gives out more of a bluesy country sound but yet again add in the gain and in comes the screams. The EMG's picked up every little small sound which was frustrating at first but I've had it for about five years now and have since gotten more guitars with EMG's. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: With moth of my guitars I have noticed that when they are made they don't put alot of attention on leveling all the frets like the higher models but that's prolly why my 7 string was so much more expensive. But at the same time although this guitar came from the factory with very high action once I brought the bridge down and the low e string is less than 2mm away from the 12th fret and the high e even closer. Close to 1mm. The amazing thing about this guitar is I didn't have to have the frets polished or leveled. They came damn near perfect which you seldom find with a 650 dollar guitar. The finish has got to be some type of epoxy based paint cause I've had it over 5 years and only minor dings and scratches AFTER 5 YEARS!!! This guitar is a BEAST. // 10

Reliability & Durability: When it comes to reliability this thing is a damn Beast. It has taken a hell of a beating on the road and on stages yet the only problem I've run into is I need a new pick-up selector switch cause I tend to smack these into position and nothing can take that kind of abuse yet I've found the blade types last alot longer. But it has never taken a direct impact to the ground. I hold on to my babies and make sure their never in the wrong hands. Extremely durable and reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: Well I had had in the past an EC-50 as my second guitar and an EC-200 for my fifth so I knew I was getting a great guitar but didn't know how great until I started plucking the strings and hearing its beautiful clean sounds along with perfect metal crunch. Thanks ESP for another outstanding guitar. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD Xtone PC-2-12 9 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014