LTD EC-CZ-II Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD EC-CZ-II
This is an ESP Zombie Clockwork limited edition guitar. Mahogany body, with an awesome graphic on it. As the title suggests, it is the appearance of the inner workings of a clock, with a skull sitting at the bridge.
 8.1
 7.6
 8.7
review (1) pictures (1) 19 comments vote for this gear:
LTD EC-CZ-II Reviewed by: Chris_32746, on november 15, 2012

Features: This is an ESP Zombie Clockwork limited edition guitar. I have had this guitar for about 2 years now, and after playing it on a daily basis have decided to finally write a review of it. Mahogany body, with an awesome graphic on it. As the title suggests, it is the appearance of the inner workings of a clock, with a skull sitting at the bridge. The neck is straight through, which gives the guitar GREAT sustain. Grover tuners here, nothing really special, just the reliability you get from a Grover. Active dual EMG pickups with a three way selector, 2 volume knobs and one tone. 24 Jumbo frets with the Standard "flag" inlays seen on guitars such as J.H Truckster. Tune-O-Matic Bridge with aged look on it. // 7

Sound: I play metal, blues, punk, ska, and classic rock. This guitar fits all well, even though it may not look it for some instances. The pickups will give you the crunch you need for metal\rock, or the clean\crisp tone for the blues. I play mainly through a Vox practice amp, which limits a lot of the ability. However, when plugged straight through a Marshall Half-Stack, this guitar will hang up there with most PRS, but for half the price. You will get a slight hum if you dime out all settings, but that is pretty common in my experience with active pickups. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came close to perfect from the factory. Didn't have to change a thing. The action was just above buzz, the pickups sound great (as long as they are not dimed). Only complaint I have on this guitar it the tune-o-matic bridge. The edges on mine are insanely sharp, and when playing power chords to heavy, your string can slip ever so slightly and break on the edge. Other than that, all is well here. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have personally gigged with this guitar, and it will definitely withhold playing live, as I said before though, have strings handy. The sharp edge may just be on my guitar however. I am a firm believer that you should always have a back up guitar, just in case, but this one would be able to hang with the rest. As far as the finish, I play with heave picks, and there is no pick guard on here, and I cannot even see a scratch anywhere here. So seems great. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I would give the guitar an 8 for the price, and functionality of it. As I said, it will hang with the best, in my opinion. If it were lost\stolen\broke, I would do everything I could to find another, but this is a limited run, so it would prove to be difficult. It stays in tune at all times, and sounds great. The only thing I would have liked on here would be a "duller" tune-o-matic so I don't have to replace the strings every week. As a guitarist who plays about 6 hours a day, this is the best one I have picked up from ESP. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600EC Gus G 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014