LTD EX-260 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD EX-260
The EX 260 features a set neck, 24.75 scale, agathis body, 3-pc. maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, dots inlays w/name at 12th fret,: EMG-HZ H-4 humbuckers, volume, tone, 3-way toggle, black hardware, and Tune-O-Matic w/stop tailpiece.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Features: 8.7
 8.5
 8.8
 8.2
reviews (7) 88 comments vote for this gear:
LTD EX-260 Reviewed by: Sanitarium24, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Woodwind and Brasswind

Features: This Explorer model has an agathis body and a three piece maple fingerboard with a set-neck construction. The fingerboard is made of rosewood and has 22 extra jumbo frets. The inlays are standard pearl dots with the exception of the 12th fret which has the model name. The pickups are two EMG-ESP LH-300s which are located at the neck and bridge. It has a tune-o-matic bridge and no locking tuners. All the hardware on the guitar is black. It looks great with the black finish. It has two knobs, master volume and master tone, as well as a three way toggle. For the price I paid, I wouldn't expect any other features on this guitar. I give it a 9 because I think the pickups could have been nicer and I would have liked locking tuners. // 9

Sound: I play thrash, death, and progressive metal, so I figured this guitar would be perfect. It is. I run it through a small 15 watt practice amp and a DigiTech Metal Master. The lead tones and the tone out of the treble pickup is amazing. It's great. The lower tones and rhythm pickup lack a lot of chunk and powerful bass that I get out of my other guitar. Palm mutes on the lower strings lack the chug that I'm looking for, but it's useable. Don't let that keep you from this guitar. The clean tone is adequate, but it lacks alot of ring, but it has a great sound nonetheless. I give it an 8 mostly for the lead tone which is, as I said, incredible. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, the action was a little low, but nothing that couldn't be changed. The finish was perfect, and all the hardware was in mint condition. The rhythm pickup is a little tall, so I'm going to see if I can lower that. It's also very close to the bridge, making it impossible to palm mute and play directly over the rhythm pickup at the same time, but this isn't much of a problem. So other than the action and the one pickup perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing was built to last. I've already bumped it a few times and the finish stays on without a scratch. The hardware is solid and I don't worry about it. Aside from breaking strings due to vigorous playing, I wouldn't stress over it. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for anyone Who plays metal. It might also be suitable for various types of hardcore and such. I've been playing for 5 years now, and this is only my second guitar. I would not recommend this guitar for beginners. If it were stolen/lost, I would definately buy this guitar again. It has a unique look that can be matched and being an ESP it is of great quality. If you're thinking about buying it, chances are you should. // 9

LTD EX-260 Reviewed by: Metallipad!!, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Globemusik DK

Features: This is a nice Explorer from 2006 with agathis body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, and it has 22 extra jumbo frets. It has EMG-ESP LH-300 which is EMG designed. Set neck construction and 24.75" scale. Bridge: Tune-O-Matic w/tailpiece. It also has one vol knob, one tone knob and 3 way toggle. This is a perfect guitar for me! The only thing I don't like perfectly, is that the guitar is pretty heavy, so it can hurt in the shoulders if you play some hours but there's many heavy guitars so it doesn't matter. // 10

Sound: I love its sound! really heavy. I'm playing with a Marshall MG100DFX, and DigiTech Hot Head and Death Metal dist pedals. I play a lot of Metallica and it suits it perfect (the reason I've got this is that James Hetfield also is playing on a ESP Explorer). It is a little bit noisy but I've never really noticed.. This guitar can play all styles of music but I don't think it's design suits so many of them. The toneknob is very effective, it can be very bright and dark. With my old guitar (Fender Stratocaster) I couldn't hear any difference when I turned the knob, but I never really liked Fender. So this guitar is great for any style of metal or rock, and it sounds great for the money. Of course you can get a better sounding guitar but that will cost. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty well. But I've adjusted the pickups. No flaws or anything, it was even in tune when I got it! But when I play a upstroke on the H/B string it kinda make a anoying sound, but it doesn't come through the amp so no worry there, and the pickup Switch is a little loose so it's almost perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this badass 5 months and it still looks great. But because of it's shiny black finish, it easily get greasy. It is very solid and I would totally depend on it. It won't last forever of course but almost! But there is a little ptoblem. Lately I've noticed that my bridge had something that looked like rust on it. Don't know what it is, but I think it's the silver-kind-a-paint that's falling off, but I can't really see it. // 9

Overall Impression: I've played guitar for about 5 years (I'm 15 years old) and I'm playing heavy metal and hard rock with my band. I've played some few gigs with it and it was awesome! I love this thing. It works great with my Marshall MG100DFX and DigiTech distortion pedals. If it were stolen I'd probably save up and buy a more expensive model, maybe the Ex-400. If you want a super, heavy axe for serious rock/metal and for a low price, is this the only one for you. // 10

LTD EX-260 Reviewed by: metalrockpunk, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: American Music Supply

Features: Features: This guitar has a set-neck construction, agathis body, rosewood fingerboard, EMG LH-300 pickups, Tune-O-Matic bridge, volume and tone controls w/3-way switch. I absolutly love this thing! It doesn't come with a case or a gig bag but you can deffinitly buy one for it which I am doing. // 10

Sound: This guitar is perfect for my bands metal music. It has a hard hitting sound that gives your music the punch it needs. It has a decent clean sound to it but it also has a deep heavey sound that blows your mind away! You can play just about anything on this thing from Metallica to hell anything you want! I am using a 15 watt practice amp and I get fantasic sounds out of it! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Ok in the factory they basicly put the guitar togeather and made sure everything worked, but they didn't tune it so the strings were all messed up and some of them touched the bridge and muted the strings but that was really easy to fix. Once you fix that the guitar was apsolutly perfect. I love this thing! And I know you will to! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Oh this thing is deffinitly reliable and durable I will be using this thing forever! The button straps are really solid! The whole thing is built to last! You can deffinitly depend on this thing for live shows! The finish is great I hit it on the wall when I was playing and it didn't have a scratch on it! // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal music in a band. I have been playin guitar for about a year. The other guitar I own is an Ibanez which is another great guitar that I use all the time! If this thing was stolen or lost I wouldn't hesatate for a second to buy another one! I compared it to some Jacksons, Gibsons, and a few Deans and this was the best one for my sound and the looks of the guitar just blow you away. Get this guitar! // 10

LTD EX-260 Reviewed by: guitarfreak222, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: A$ 800

Purchased from: Music express

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia. Not sure when it was made though. The body is made out of Agathis wood. It has a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. This particular model has a black finish and is based on the Gibson Explorer shape. It has ESP tuners and a TOM bridge and tail. It also has a set neck with black nickel hardware. The pickups that come with the guitar are ESP EMG LH-300 designed passive - high output pickups. There is one master tone and volume with a push coil tap on tone control. // 8

Sound: Judging by the shape and brand of this guitar, the target genre for this guitar will be Heavy Metal and that's exactly the majority of music that I play. This guitar is very versatile and can handle most genres because of the push coil tap option which lets you Switch from a humbucker setting to a single coil setting. This fulfills a guitarist's needs for other genres like punk and softer rock. I am currently playing this through a Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt with a Boss ME - 20 as a distortion booster and wah pedal. The pickups are pretty good. They remind me of the EMGHZ pickups. They sound very meaty and chunky, good for metal and rock. They can produce a lot of gain without sounding muddy but they can sometimes sound a bit sterile. The pickups are not noisy unless you flood the amp with heaps of distortion without a noise suppressor. This guitar is very versatile and can deal with a wide range of musical genres. However, the pickups sometimes and sound a bit dry and empty. I suggest fitting this guitar with EMG's to make it perfect. I play metal primarily and this guitar fits it like speedo. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect at the factory. The pickups were adjusted just how I like them. The finish was perfect. However the tuning pegs were slightly loose but that was easily fixed. Another thing was that the fret board was poorly cut in some places which makes it looks a bit crummy. Other than that, the guitar played pretty smoothly in my hands apart from another thing that bugged me. It was hard to reach up to the 22nd fret because of the shape. Still, this guitar is pretty well set up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was made by ESP and through my experience, ESP's last. This guitar has withstood a lot of Live playing. I use this guitar all the time. The strap buttons look very secure, however I do recommend strap locks. I would depend on it, but I never go to a gig without a back up. I actually had a problem with a neck pick up after a few months of having it. The neck bit up was very quiet whenever I switched to it and I just had to toggle the pickup selector and it would work again which was very annoying but surprisingly went away after a while. The finish is will not wear off from playing but the paint will chip if you bump this guitar. The hardware seems like it will last for a long time. In my opinion, this guitar is very reliable and it can be used to Live playing. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar fits most music genres and is very versatile. I have been playing for 2 years and I own a Squier Strat and an Epiphone les paul and this guitar in my opinion is my favourite. I had tried many other guitars Dean, Jackson and Ibanez guitars and I feel that this guitar fits me the best. If this were stolen I would consider buying a higher end version of the EX with EMG's if I had the money. I am, overall, very happy with this guitar and I am getting a EMG 81 for the bridge soon which will make this guitar absolutely perfect for me. // 9

LTD EX-260 Reviewed by: Grenkutzu, on november 15, 2012

Features: This is an 06 model, with 22 extra jumbo frets, a thin you shaped neck, black finish, and made of agathis. The body is an Explorer copy, but with harder, sharper edges. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic with stop tailpeice, all black hardware. The pickups are passive EMG HZ-4 humbuckers with one master tone, and one master volume, one bridge, one neck. The tuners are ESP brand, and they stay in tune wonderfully. I play very often and I rarely have to tune, even after bumping it. // 9

Sound: It has a good, heavy sound to it. The sustain is incredible. Not noisy at all, with a great clean tone for the neck and awesome distortion for the bridge. I play metal, and a lot of Children Of Bodom style shredding. This axe is great for getting that kind of sound. There isn't a huge variety of sounds between clean and distortion, but they both sound really nice. I use a DigiTech RP-350 with headphones plugged directly into it for about 90% of my playing. I have played it on a Marshall MG100DFX, and the sound is absolutely incredible on it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was low, and buzzed some when I got it, but it seemed to fix itself after I changed strings and tuned it up, I didn't have to adjust bridge height to make it play perfectly. Now, the action is still nice and low, but there is zero buzz on the frets. The pickups were perfectly adjusted from the factory, and everything was in great order. Giving it a 9 for that initial fret buzz. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is absolutely built to last. No question. I've bumped it here and there when playing in my tight space of a playing area, and there are no problems with anything, and no visible dents at all. Everything is totally solid, and I would bring it to a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This is great for shredding, metal, overdrive, and cleans. I've been playing for a while now, and this guitar feels great. If it were stolen, I would probably buy it again, that or the version up from this one. I don't have any real complaints, other than that the neck could be flatter on the high frets. I've compared with other guitars, and the rock solid feel of this axe, and it's killer looks make it one of my favorites. // 9

LTD EX-260 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Craigslist Ad

Features: My ESP LTD EX-260 was made in 2008. Specs are: Agathis body, Rosewood fingerboard, 3 piece maple neck( painted), Dot inlays with model name on 12 fret. 3 Way toggle. ESP pickups( lh-301s I think?) Tune- o matic Bridge with stop tail piece. One volume one tone. // 7

Sound: It is good for metallica covers, Slayer covers. Sounds best for Slayer in my opinion. Clean sound is awesome and sounds really close to the studio recording of metallica's "the thing that should not be" on creepy sounds. Not good in my opinion for tunning lower than C Standard or for extremely heavy sound like death metal. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is ok except the high e got buzz after 12 fret and I adjust the Bridge action and intonation and still the same. Not as heavy in weight as most people proclaim. The string separator came undone so I had to use Gorilla glue to get back to the way it post to be. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Probably will last live playing. Hardware seems to be ok wear and tear will be the judge on if the hardware will last. Strap buttons are solid. I wouldn't gig without a backup unless this is a Slayer or Metallica cover guitar intended. I think it will last with care. // 8

Overall Impression: It was better then my original guitar (behringer strat) And I learn how to play guitar on it so its not the worse I have owned( 5 total so far) I would considered this guitar if you need a better than cheap-o guitar. Its defiantly good enough for Standard tunning playing and learning. // 8

LTD EX-260 Reviewed by: ANVSterling, on november 15, 2012

Features: This is a discontinued model from 2008, and for an Indonesian-made guitar it's pretty good! It's got a 24.75" scale set-neck with 22 frets. It's body is solid mahogany with a solid-top and a classic black finish. It's body style resembles that of a Gibson "Explorer", which gives it a slightly classic look. The electronics on this particular model are passive EMG-style ESP LH-300s, which sound almost identical to EMG HZs. The body top has a master volume and tone, as well as a three-way selector Switch (for the p'ups). // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal, and the pickups in this guitar suit it very well. I'd heard mixed emotions about EMG HZs, so I wasn't sure how I was going to like the LH-300s. Regardless, I'll be replacing them with EMGs later on, but they are really good for my style right now. The pickups aren't noisy in the slightest - I went downstairs for over an hour and left the guitar plugged in, and when I returned I thought that it had been turned off. Virtually noiseless. I don't play much else besides metal, so I can't really judge what other styles this thing can pump out. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar (since it came from a guitar shop) was set pretty decently, but it was a little low (I play in Drop C, primarily, so it buzzed down there) when I tuned it down, so I raised it up. The owner of the guitar said that it had been "over-sprayed to fix a finish flaw" but I looked thoroughly over this guitar and found none what'soever, so that was a bonus. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used the guitar live yet (not till the 22nd), but I've been shredding non-stop, and it seems very solid for gigging. I couldn't tell you if the original strap buttons were solid or not, because as soon as I got the guitar I changed the buttons and put on a DiMarzio ClipLock strap, which works nicely. I would definitely use this guitar at a gig without a backup - it's solid. The only complaint I have is that it is a little neck-heavy, but I fixed that by simply moving the strap button to the center of gravity. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I would say that this was a very good buy (especially for the price!) and that anyone that is considering buying a 260 should definitely do it. The only difficulty I thought I was going to have was finding a case for it, because the body is abstract, but I got it and it turns out that the owner had shipped it inside a case, so that cleared things up. Great guitar, go buy it! // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD EX-50 7.9 Electric Guitars 04/18/2014