LTD EX-401 Review

reviews (3) 31 comments vote for this gear:
LTD EX-401 Reviewed by: tume, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 577

Purchased from: thomann.de

Features: ESP LTD EX - 401, a hell of a guitar. It has rosewood fretboard wich has 22 frets, 3 piece maple neck, exploder shaped mahogany body, Tune- O- Matic bridge, active electronics, EMG 81 and 60 humbuckers, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, 3-way selector, non locking tuners. No accessories. // 9

Sound: I play this axe trough my Line 6 75w amp, I mostly play metal and this guitar suits perfectly for it. It has pretty good clean sound and very nice metal tone. Pickups are not noisy at all, suits perfectly for playing at high volumes. This guitar gives you almost crystal clean clean sound and very nice metal screams. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was well set-up, no buzz'es at all. It wasn't at tune when I got it, but it was delievered in +30'c degrees for about 1000 kilometres. Pickups didn't rock my hands, so they was set up well. There was nothing wrong with Top or Bridge. There was no flaws in that guitar when i got it and there is not any flaws now either. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will absolutely withstand live playing just like my Ibanez RG 1570 both awesome guitar. I don't know how long will hardware last, 'cos I've had this guitar for only few days now, but I think it will last for long time. I didn't try even those original strap buttons because my Ibanez once dropped when I used its original ones so I changed strap locks for it. Because I have 2 guitars I wouldn't gig with it without backup but I would if I wouldn't have 2 guitars. Finish is very great! I have allready banged this guitar few times, and the finish seems like it was new. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar has been made for metal and hard rock players so it's smooth to play that kind of music with it. I've been playing over 2 years now, I own also that Ibanez I allready told you before. This guitar would be good for a beginner or pro (maybe too expensive for beginner). If it were stolen I would buy I would buy it again. With this guitar I love those cool pickups and exploder shape. The neck is not as thin as my Ibanez's so its not as easy to shred but what ever:D Maybe it could be better with thinner neck but who knows. // 9

LTD EX-401 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: Ok. Now, this is my review of the LTD EX-401 which was made in Indonesia in 2009. It has 22 frets XJ (Jumbo) frets glued into a rosewood fretboard. Neck Scale is the same as most guitars, 24.75 (I think). It has a C shaped neck, at least it says so on the internet, which is made from mahogany, as the rest of the guitar. Its a Solid-Top. It has a white finish which contrasts the mechs. It has the regular Explorer form, although not EXACTLY like a Gibson...its sharper all around. Has a regular Tune-O-Matic bridge, which keeps in tune all the time. As you all now, it has active electronis. Also, it has a 3-way Switch and one tone and volume knob. The pickups are: Neck: EMG 60 Bridge: EMG 81 It has the usual Grover tuners and (in my case) didn't have any accessories. // 8

Sound: It suits my style pretty well. I play stuff from Steve Vai to Metallica to Slayer to Greg Howe. So basically metal, fusion, jazz, guitar virtuoso stuff and shit. I use it with a Line 6 Spider IV 60 Watt. Also I use with some effects pedal by Korg and a compressor by MXR. Its not noisy at all. NEVER. The PUs are as quiet as the dead. Until you play them. And that is where the EMGs are coming in. Usually I like this guitar better on the distorted setting, because on clean, it always sounds like the PUs want to Switch themselves back to the distorted settings, as if they were saying "were METAL pickups"...;) On the distorted settings, it can recreate ALL the sounds needed in the metal context. On clean settings...there is like a powerful loud clean sound, and some other settings which are a little bit more sparkling. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up PERFECTLY at the factory, although it wasn't tuned properly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will deffo withstand live playing. The hardware WILL last. Thats what you expext from a 700 dollar guitar anyway, don't ya? BIG problem are the strap buttons...the one at the neck in the particular. The strap will ALWAYS slide off that fuckin button, which was the reason my guitar fell to the ground while I was on the phone. It is because of that, that I bought strap locks, which will NEVER fall of or whatever. AND it is because of that, that I have seen how thick the finish is...it will last a LONG time. U and deffo depend on it. 7, because of the strap buttons. Yep, they really suck that hard. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for metal, but also for other styles like fusion for Ex. Ive been playing for 7 years now. The other stuff I have is a EPI G-400 and an Ibanez Rg 350 DX WH (my favorite, because of the whammy xD) I would buy it again, if only to have a guitar with a more "crazy" style. Only thing I miss is a FR vibrato bar. // 9

LTD EX-401 Reviewed by: 3DG-lespaul, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Forgotten, somewhere on Denmark Street, London

Features: Explorer based shape, but doesn't compare to a Gibson/Epiphone model, rosewood finger board with 22 frets, granite hardware, 2 knobs and EMG actives as Standard (81/85), Tune-O-Matic bridge, Grover tuning pegs, came with a free set of strings and a gig-bag, and was strung with a set of chosen strings at the shop // 5

Sound: sounds like treacle would if it had strings, and was put through my Line 6 Spider of 120 watts, after i stopped using it as much as i used to the pick-ups were placed in an Epiphone Les Paul and the EX140 had the basic humbucks placed in it, now its mainly used by my tutor who is a major ESP user // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: very slow feel to what should be classed as a "shred machine", granite hardware picks up fingerprints as if it was police detection tape, requires regular cleaning and will leave alot of streak marks from cloths and hands/fingers, very lightweight guitar, feels like your not wearing one and the cut away doesnt allow great acsess to the 18th-22nd frets // 5

Reliability & Durability: played 2 live performances with this, lived up well, but I chose the Les Pauls as I'm not much of a metal player now and it didnt have the look for my style, will take damage very easily and the awkward sshape will leave you in pain when playing sitting, very big strap buttons should prevent straps coming off and have done so // 8

Overall Impression: was good when i bought it, but style soon changed and hence i dont use it much anymore and now has no sparkle, but my tutor still loves it (should of asked him to write this, it would have been so much more positive), pic-up selector is out of strums way so it won't have a magical pick-up change at an inconvienient moment (sorry is i have spelt it wrong) // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD KH-2 9.3 Electric Guitars 06/23/2014