LTD EX-50 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 04/18/2014 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD EX-50
This is another easy-playing instryument with 22 extra jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard, resonant body and hot ESP LH-100 humbuckers.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.8
 Features: 7.9
 7.9
 7.8
reviews (18) pictures (2) 50 comments vote for this gear:
LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: atkm2891, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Bansbach

Features: I got a brand new EX-50 2005 for Christmas, not sure where it was made. It's got 22 XJ frets and a Maple neck with a Rosewood fingerboard. It's got a solid-top. Maple neck and Agathis Body. It's got a Titanium finish a Z-type body. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic with a stop tailpiece. EMG 81/60 active electronics. It's got volume tone and a 3-way toggle. The pickups are ESP LH-100's. Grover tuners. No accesories. // 10

Sound: It's perfect for metal. The sound is great and so is the look. Right now I'm using a Line 6 Spider II 30 amp, with a Boss MD-2 (distortion). It doesn't sound very good with the MD-2, but sounds great with my Line 6 amp. It's got a rich sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up greatly at the factory. Pickups are set good, just a little out of place. When I bought it didn't have the little rubber thing that screws on to the top of the pickup toggle, but other than that, it was fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It would definitely withstand live playing. And it has a solid, strong body. The strap buttons look solid, and have never failed me. I would definitely use it in a gig without backup, because it's brand new. It's titanium, goldish, finish looks durable, and I haven't worn it off at all. // 9

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal, and this guitar is made for that genre. I've been playing for 3 years, and I also own a Washburn WR120 and a Bad Dog amp. If it were stolen I would probably buy it again, but I'm not sure, I might get the ESP MH-100. I love the body style, and the color. The only thing I hate is that you can't add a floyd to it. My favorite feature is the bridge, it's real nice-looking and you can change it's height. I didn't really compare it to other products, when I saw it, I loved it. I just wish it had floyd. // 10

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: chief1989, on november 15, 2012

Features: The EX-50 I got a couple months ago has been just amazing to me. It's a '05 model, only factory made but god bless that factory! An agathis body, rosewood fretboard, ESP humbuckers. For the price I got an amazing tone, a little bit of tampering with the pole peices on the pickups & it was perfect. Nice slim neck which fits perfectly into my hand, and its so fast, the action it was set to is perfect. Tune-O-Matic bridge, black hardware etc. Unlike a lot of guitars the tone knob actually made a big difference depending on how I had it set, wether it be a nice warm, smooth solo sound, or a fat chunky rhythm sound. Overall I think this guitar is amazing, and for only $350 people, like c'mon ESP is spoiling us with this guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar totally suits me, I play a lot of my own material which is influenced by everything from AC/DC to Megadeth, to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, even some ZZ Top. I play it through a DigiTech Grunge pedal, and a Marshall MG series amp. It takes high gain fairly well, this babys a squeal machine. Its clean tone is just wow, & it seems to only get better with some distortion, very clear and full. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in perfect set up, no flaws what so ever. Only thing I would suggest is to adjust the pole peices in your pickups according to what you want, wether it be the way the factory made it, smooth n warm, or nice n crunchy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had the guitar for bout 5 months now & I have no problems, it's very durable, dependable. Also the strap pegs are very solid, I invested in strap locks just incase, I wouldnt want any damage to come to my baby u know. I don't have a band to gig with yet, but I would definitely use this as my main guitar. I would never do a show without a backup guitar because no matter how kickass your guitar may be, theres always the possibility of somebody tampering with it, or a shitty road crew or anything. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impress of this guitar is, its freakin incredible! It's got stunning good looks with a comfortable shape, everything on it is good to my standards. I would suggest you take a look at ESP guitars, for they are amazing my friends! // 10

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: The features on this guitar are pretty standard. One volume, one tone control, stock pickups and tune-o-matic bridge. The neck is very nice for soloing/rythem and the pickups arent as bad as you would expect (I'm gonna throw a pair of Duncan live wire metal pickups in when I get money) but besides that pretty nice setup. // 8

Sound: Being that it's an Explorer and its black it goes great with heavy metal, I am a Switch lead guitarist for my band and I use a Crate GTX 120, I would like the sound to have more bottom end and be brighter but for a little over 200 its more than good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set a little high for my liking, I lowered it and now it's perfect. There's a little bit of buzzing on the low e string but thats not bad I bought the guitar brand new. It had no flaws with it. Now it's got very minor scratches but thats because of its shape and my clumsy ass. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I played a show with it live my strap must have fallen off at least 10 times that really sucked because I had to catch my guitar before it got destroyed and I look like an idiot. If you plan on playing live with it get strap locks besides that everything was fine stayed in tune relitivley good. // 8

Overall Impression: For heavy metal and almost 2 years experience (on my own) it's a good match for me I also a Epiphone SG and I wish it came with a case but o well. If it were lost or stolen I would save my money and buy something with Emg's already built in or a Jackson cuz they kickass. I love the look of the guitar but I hate some changes I had to make to it my favorite feature is definatly the body and compared to other $200 guitars it kicks the crap out of all of them after I save up I'm going to get a Jackson either a Soloist or a DXMG. // 8

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: nexous, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

Features: The features on the guitar can be found at the link above. It had the 3-way toggle which was great. Except you can only hear the changes on certain tones. No whammy bar, which was sad to find out about it. But, I'm over it already. // 9

Sound: I plugged the new guitar in and it sounded excellent. Just the quality of the sound was great. I play a lot of metal and shred, so the guitar was perfect for it. The feedback there was none, but that's most likely my amp. I'm currently using guitar port and/or a few Dunlop pedals which makes it sound so clear. The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't have a tremolo system on it stock. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar, I was pretty upset that UPS packed the guitar box into a package that it didn't even 100% fit in. It could have been cushioned up a little better, but there were no flaws with it. I'm not 100% sure about the body yet, as it feels like the corner could snap off it you banged it up against something, but hopefully I won't find out. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is great, I am definitely going to use it in a gig. Except I will bring a backup just in case the guitar gets broken traveling there. But in a gig, I don't think it'd screw up. The hardware was on there great, the body, like I said above, I imagine that if it got hit hard enough the corner would break off. Everything was secure on it. The strings weren't exactly in tune a half a note off, but I imagine that it's for delivery purposes. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and shred, talked about above. The guitar was a perfect match for it, the sound, the style, everything. I've been playing for 1 year now, yes it's unbelievable but I can shred. I own a few Dunlop pedals and guitar port, but going to buy more accessories eventually. I wish I had a tremolo package on it. But I can deal without having it. I would definitely buy the same brand (ESP), but upgrade to a higher version/higher quality of the EX series. // 10

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: cursedtothebone, on november 15, 2012

Features: My EX-50 was made in 2005 in Indonesia (cheap manufacturing, No Doubt) 22 frets, solid top, made of agathis wood, Explorer shape, tune o matic bridge, 3 way selector, ESP tuners, I upgraded the humbuckers to EMG 81/85s and I swear, the sound was god-like. Before I upgraded the humbuckers, the sound was crap, and the bridge humbucker wasn't working. To sum it all up, I got conned of my money. By the way, it came in a gig bag that only fitted 80%. // 4

Sound: I play mainly metal, from Motley Crue to Metallica to Children Of Bodom and this guitar is only fit for rhythm playing. I plug this through a 15 watt Randall amp. The sound with the EMGs is phenomenal and gives a very rich and heavy sound when used with even a cheap $20 Danelectro Fab Distortion pedal. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The axe wasn't well set up at the factory. the action was to high and I needed to adjust the humbuckers to get a decent sound (I mean the stock pickups not the EMGs) The finish looked good at first but proved to be lousy as dents form after almost every single knock. The wood is agathis, a very cheap wood, which sucks ass. the tuning pegs also go out of tune very easily especially when in drop tuning (even when I used 012-056 gauge strings). The volume knobs dropped out after 2 months and the 3 way selector had a problem and I had to get it replaced. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This guitar looks great and I would use it for gigs but the guitar is so fragile I don't think it'll last, so I'll definately need backups. The hardware doesn't seem like it'll last. The strap buttons are solid (that's the only thing on the guitar that is durable). Furthermore, the finish is wearing off slowly. // 3

Overall Impression: I play metal and it would be a good match for the budget guitarist. I've been playing it for 6 months now and I wish I bought a Dean Dime-O-Flage instead. If it were stolen, I'll hunt down the person and force HIM to buy the guitar cause I want another one and he can have this piece of shit. If I couldn't find the son of a retard commiting incest with his sister I'll go buy something made of mahogany like a Dean ML 79 or a PRS SE Custom. I would compare this guitar to an Ibanez GIO and the other ESP LTD 50 range cause they all suck. // 3

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: aus_thrasher91, on november 15, 2012

Features: First of all, let me say that this guitar is ideal for metal. The ESP Standard pickups work an absolute treat, and put out a tone that has to be heard to be believed. My model is a 2007 EX-50, made in Indonesia. It has 22 extra jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard (mounted on a maple neck), and a scale of 24.75". It has a bolt-on neck, which is perfect more my playing style. The body is made of agathis, which provides me with the perfect amount of sustain. My particular model has a jet black finish, which works great with the dark rosewood and the gorgeous black nickel hardware. I know some people say that the Explorer body style will go out of style in the next 10 years or so, but I will continue to cherish it. This is the first guitar I have truly fallen in love with, and everything from the body to the extra sharp tip of the headstock is perfect. The bridge on this model is a Tune-O-Matic with a stop tailpiece, and the ESP Standard tuners rarely let the guitar go out of tune. There is only one tone control on the EX-50, but it still does the job. There's also a volume control and a 3-way toggle pickup switch. I didn't get any included accessories, aside from the box and the tools provided. Overall, great features for the price. // 10

Sound: My style is pure thrash metal and melodic death metal, and this guitar is absolutely perfect for it. I use a Randall RX-15 for this guitar, and the tone is perfect on overdrive, I'm saving for a Randall G2 Combo so I can get the maximum power. I don't use effects. This guitar doesn't get too noisy when you have it in standard. But when you drop it in D, and play an open power chord, you'll get a fair bit of fret buzz. Thankfully, with the raising bridge, you may be able to fix it. This guitar could probably make any sound possible, aside from the ones acheived with a kill-off switch. It's an extremely capable guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of this guitar is so perfect, it just feels right whenever you play it. The pickups on this guitar were adjusted brilliantly. It feels extremely slick whenever you play it. I was lucky, there's nothing wrong with my guitar at all. And if there was, it'd probably be something very minor. I think the ESP factory in Indonesia did a great job. This guitar is pretty much perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar live once, and it lived up to the challenge easily. It played great, and sounded brilliant. The hardware is built to last, and doesn't seem loose in the slightest. The strap buttons don't feel like they'll budge an inch, ever. They're extremely well built, and I love how this guitar feels while playing standing up. I'd very easily depend on this guitar live. There's no need for a backup when this guitar is built so well. The finish on the EX-50 is so thick and rich, I don't think that it will ever come off. It's almost as if the entire thing is black, even the wood used to make it. // 10

Overall Impression: For the metal that I play, this guitar is perfect. I have only been playing for about 10 months, but I love it to bits. If this guitar was stolen, I'd have no regrets about buying another one. It plays great, it sounds great, and, most importantly, looks great. My favourite feature is probably the slick and noiseless action of the pickup switch. It's seamless. I compared this with other guitars in my price range. From the ESP AX-50 to the Squire Strat (I was never going to buy the Strat, I hate them). I chose this guitar because it looked better, played better, and looked heaps more appealing to me than the other models. I wish it had some low-budget EMGs, and maybe a kill-off switch, but aside from that, this guitar is perfect for thrash and heavy metal. // 10

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: roosterfx1, on november 15, 2012

Features: The EX-50 is the cheapest X-plorer type Axe ESP make, and it's a toned down version of EX-500 and Dan jacobs signiture model. Despite being a lot cheaper it still retains those good looks. In fact it looks identical to the EX-500 from afar, the only difference is the colour is gloss. So, it looks the biz and is ideal for morror posing and killing crowdsurfers with, and it's sharper than a broken mirror. Basically it's all good. I baught this guitar for a total steal at only 190 UK pounds at a guitar show, as the styling and general feel of it apealed to me. It features a pretty Standard set up for a guitar of this price (bearing in mind that it costs 230 normally), two humbuckers, 24 frets and so on. No complaints, everything you'll need to start rocking. Or so I thought. I'll explain later. // 8

Sound: I play Metal and blues, so it was important to me that it sounded good clean as well as the distortion pumped up (But lets be honest your not gonna get a guitar like this to play blues on, are you?) I was happy with its performance. The distortion was crisp and clean, and surprisingly controllable with no frett buzzing of any kind. However, top 2 strings did sound a bit weak, buts it's nothing serious. If your going to play with distortion I recomend using the lower bridge pickup, as the neck pickups are a bit lame to say the least with no overdrive or gain and a retarded fuzzy sound. But then most guitars of this price range suffer from that same problem as well. It sounds much better turned up (obviously), and I found it works well with Line 6 distortion pedals. So, there are no issues with the sound. The clean sound was nice enough, does the job as well as you'd want. Smiles and horns all round, then. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory it came out of tune, which is understandable. The finnish is generaly nice. The paint is smooth, It has lovely little "ESP" logos etched on each machine-head, the neck bolt plate also has a pretty snazzy ESP logo etched on it, and the 12th fret has a nice "EX-50" inlay which is also quite handy for playing solos with as it acts a great marker, I found. So it's well finnished and look simply georgeous. Realy, this is the best looking guitar of it's price, and people will think you're a pro. My guitar teacher estimated it at 300-400 when I asked him how much he thought it cost. Makes you look way cooler than you really are. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Unfortunately Within 2 weeks the guitar fell off my lap and fell on the ground from about 2 feet. The top back wedge snapped off like a piece of glass, a total clean cut. I wasn't impressed at all. In fact I was quite pissed off. Guitars shouldn't snap in half when they fall from such a small distance. ESP, totally blanked my efforts for a refund when I showed them pictures and explained to them that there must have been a split in it before I baught it. It is a cheap guitar, but I really wasn't expecting that. Remarkably I can still play it and none of the sound has been affected. I do believe it was a fault of the manufacturing and that there was an internal split there before I baught it. On top of this I would still recomend this guitar, I don't believe all of them are as weak as mine so don't let this put you off if you are considering picking it up. The strings are placed on a perfect hight and the bridge is well place and sturdy as you like. The fretboard is suitably thick and works well for rhythm. I wouldn't recomend if you are planning on doing loads of solos and stuff, although it can handle it if need be. It's comfey to hold and feels firm. It is prone to going a out of tune at the slightest bump, however. But that's probably just my fault. The only major problem is practicality. It's an absolout bitch to play sitting down due to the nature of it's shape. It's designed for Live playing, not practice. After playing to long with your hand eternaly in an awkward position, you get tired of it quickly. However playing standing up is a real joy, because if you manage to udjust the strap hight properly it's really good. Flaw No2, it's kinda heavy, but not to the extent of a Gibson Explorer, so you need strong shoulders. Flaw No3 is carrying it around. As far as I know ( I might be wrong) ESP don't make a carry case for this type of guitar shape. I tried but I couldn't find one, so I had to buy an extra large Standard shaped guitar case to fitt it. // 8

Overall Impression: Ironically, it's a remarkably well built guitar despite the fact that it split in two after a few weeks as I explained earlier. I've knocked it around since then (I glued it back together since then, using an insane wood adhesive) and it's held up well. I haven't used it Live yet, as I still haven't summed up the nerves yet, but I reckin it will do you justice. So long as you don't go trying to immitate Jimmi Hendrix. As a complete package it's definitely a one to consider. It's much more adventurous than just buying a conventional looking guitar. It has a cool Aura around it and people will mistake you for James Hetfield if your big and blonde. Its defining feature is just how damn cool it looks. And it's good for slicing up fans and crowd surfers if they get too close. I also dig its tone, and ergonomics. The buttons are placed where they should be, and the fret board does the job. However it could do with some extras, like a Floyd Rose tremolo or something. If the Peavy Rotor which is considerably cheaper can have one, I don't see why this cant. I mean it's a real metal guitar, and any self respecting metal player should have one. True I did mention earlier that it isn't a lead type of guitar, but it would still be nice. So, if you really want one, trust your instinct (and eyes) and get one. Get a decent pedal and amp and get rockin. // 8

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: creepingdeth05, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: 3d music

Features: - 22 frets - 2 humbucker pickups - 3 way selector Switch - Rosewood fretboard // 8

Sound: I play 99% Metallica music and I play our own originals which are all heavy metal, and this axe is great for this genre of music! I have a Rogue GS-100R and I just recently bought a Johnson Marquis series studio amp which has over 30 amp models on it including many different types of Marshalls. This guitar and my amps go great with all of them. I would say that this guitar is for heavy rock or metal only because it puts out such a "chunky" and "heavy" thump sound. It would sound even better though if I put in EMG pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first recieved this guitar, there was a small dent on the very top, and it was probably because of the stupid shipping people. It's an Explorer and they are bound to get some scratches considering all of the pointy edges! The finish on the guitar is great, couldn't ask for anything better. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definetly gig-ready. I also have a Strat that I use for back up. But this guitar is definetly gig-worthy and I haven't had any problems with it. The only thing that I don't like about it, is the strap always seems to fall off of my guitar, but all explorers are like that, and I am soon going to fix that problem. Very dependable guitar! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is great, I bought it brand new, and haven't had any problems with it. This is perfect for my style of music. IF it was stolen I would buy a new one, but I don't see it gettin stolen. I got this guitar on sale for 200 dollars, you can purchase it on www.samash.com for about $229.00 for this price you cant go wrong, it is basically a steal, you save big money and you get an awesome looking guitar, and with the money you save you can customize it to your specifications! Overall a definite 5. // 10

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: frozen-dirt, on november 15, 2012

Features: My EX-50 was made in 2004 or 2005. It has a bolt-on neck, 2 ESP LH-100 pickups, 24.75" neck, Tune-O-Matic bridge, and a 22 fret maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard. It has a master volume knob, master tone knob, and a 3-way Switch for the pickups. Nothing fancy, I know, but if you're a beginner, you really need more. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal, but sometimes I play some hard rock, or sometimes some clean, jazzy stuff. This guitar can sound good for all of those, as long as you have a decent amp. I've played this through my friend's Marshall solid-state combo amp and my other friend's no-name solid-state combo amp, both are around 50 watts. My guitar sounds pretty good through both. I Switch to the bridge pickup and turn the gain all the way up on the overdrive channel for a great metal/heavy rock tone. If I want a warm, jazzy clean tone, then I Switch to the neck pickup on the clean channel. There's never any fret buzz or noise from any of those settings I mentioned. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know what this guitar was like when it was first bought, because I bought this from my friend. Nevertheless, the action is perfect; nice and low. Plus, the neck is a nice thickness, similar to a Stratocaster. There were no scratches, dents, or flaws with any hardware (and I doubt my friend would spend money to fix the guitar, as he never played it anyways). The only thing we had to do was screw in the output jack, as it was loose. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live with this guitar, so I don't know if it is reliable. I jam alot with other people though, and it has never given me any trouble. I would feel comfortable using it on stage without a backup. The finish and hardware seem durable. I always knock the corners of the body on things and they haven't chipped or scratched at all. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're a beginner in desire of a good, high-gain tone, this is a great guitar for you. I've been playing for about a year now and this guitar is great for me. I've played on other low-end guitars (my friend's Jackson JS-20, a Jay Turser Strat, etc) and this is a much better value. The sound, action, and general feel of this guitar is better by far than the ones I've mentioned. If something happened to it in the future, I might get different model for more features, but that's the only reason I would buy something else. // 9

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: UKMaster, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Rowlands music, Swansea

Features: I think it was made in Korea. * Bolt-On Construction * 24.75" Scale * Basswood Body * Maple Neck * Rosewood Fingerboard * 42mm Standard Nut * Thin U Neck Contour * 22 XJ Frets * Chrome Hardware * ESP Tuners * TOM Bridge & Tailpiece - ESP LH-150 (B & N) p.u. (Passive) - 1 vol, 1 tone, three way Switch selctor Had a deal with the shop so they threw in a couple of cables, strap, tuner and lowered and set up the guitar for free. // 8

Sound: I play Metal / Heavy Metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer etc.) and this guitar is good for it! I use it with a HT-5 mini stack and a ZW-45 pedal. This guitar sounds great with both in my opinion! If you turn the volume up on the amp on the ditortion channel (By 'up' I mean about 12 o'clock) you can hear a tiny bit of fizz but I think that's normal. I still have the stock pickups even after 2 years because In my opinion they sound quite good! Pinch harmonics are quite easy to do. The pickups do sound a bit 'weak'. The cleans are OK but not the best. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't really play it much before they set it up for me but from what I remember, I think the action was ok, maybe a bit high. There is a bit of buzzing on the neck. I haven't fiddled with the pickups because I think they sound good where they are. The pickup selector is a bit loose and the volume and tone are aswell. Not so loose that they turn when playing but they feel a bit loose. The tuner for the low E string is a bit loose when down-tuning but then tightens up when you tune it up. All the rest seem tight. The piano black finish is very easy to get dirty. Lots of fingermarks and dust! Whenever I change the strings I always plish the guitar and neck to keep it feeling and looking good! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think that this guitar would withstand live playing. I have never played a gig before but I would trust this guitar! Ican't really give a credible realiability review. I have never tryed he strap buttons as the shop offered me a free set of locking ones with free fitting. The finish is very good in my opinion. On mine, the guitar has no scratches or dings even after about 2 years! I always look after it! // 8

Overall Impression: I play Metal and heavy and this guitar suits it quite well! I have been playing for about 4 years. If it were stolen or lost, first, I would get the insurance company to give me a new one! Nah but if it were stolen and I couldn't get it back I would probably buy a different guitar since I have it so long! I hate that it is a dirt magnet but I like the feel of the neck and in my opinion it's quite nice. I haven't playd many guitars but this is the nicest I have played. I think I compared it to a v-500 (it was about 500 whatever it was) and I chose this because Firstly, I could afford the v and second, I couldn't sit down with it as I have never played one before! // 8

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: Chrisixsixsix, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: I paid 230 dollars for from sam Ash's online store.its made here in America. It has I think jumbo 22 rosewood frets. It has an agathis body which dents with hard knocks and 2 ESP LH 150 pickups. it has a bolt on maple neck with black nickel hardware. It's got a metallic silver finish on a Explorer body. The bridge is TOM with stop tailpiece. It's got a 3-way switch, volume knob with 2 tone knobs. It does have sealed tuners. The con is that it didn't come ith a guitar gig bag. // 8

Sound: It fits my music perfectly especially with Metallica's "One". If you don't know they used a ESP Explorer in the vid. It has a good crunch sound especially with a Peavey Triple X Super. It's great with drop D, wah-wah, and obviously heavy distortion. You get some string buzz sometimes. Oh and the harmonics are pretty sic with this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up really good and the pick ups are set perfect which is one at the top and one a bottom to give the strings a good sound and a settled picking spot which is the middle of the fret board and bridge. The only flaws like before was hard knocks give guitar dents and sometimes you get string buzz. // 8

Reliability & Durability: this gutar will indeed endure some ass kicking action. the nickel hardware indeed will last quite a long time. I could depend on it but I would keep a backup in case because the fact that it's body is made up of cheap wood would worry me incase it got really dented if it dropped or if I headbanged to hard and hit something with it. The finish is great and will last. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal music only and it fits me perfect. The sharp like edges of it's Explorer body. I've been playing for 2 years now and this guitar by far is better than my Flying V and Stratocaster. I waish I waould have asked what wood it's body has because agathis is cheap wood. I would buy it again if it were stolen, definetly. I love the body design, the pickups and the feel of the frets because my fingers are comfortable on them. I compared it to a Gibson Explorer but I said if Metallica had an ESP then I guess they're better. What I wish it had was a whammy bridge, but I just switched the bridge with my Stratocatser to give it the whammy. // 9

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: Zeroxsk8er1, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Samash Music

Features: This LTD EX style electric guitars have become a favorite among metal heads. The EX50 model comes loaded with two burnin' cheap ESP LH-100 humbucker pickups. Features: bolt-on construction; a heavy agathis body; maple neck with rosewood fingerboard; dot inlays with model name at the 12th fret; volume and tone controls; 3-way switch; black hardware; TOM-style bridge with stop tailpiece; 22XJ frets. Case not included. It has non locking tuners, ltd tuning pegs and gets out of tune everytime I play it. I ended up selling this "guitar" to my friend, 2 months after I got it. I barely got 125 dollars of almost 2 months used. // 3

Sound: I got this for my birthday, in the middle of july 2006. At first I actually liked this guitar, but when I started to take it to band practice, and play it at a high volume it was terrible! It's a feedback magnet, I've played it through my Marshall Valvestate Halfstack and A Crate XT120R. The sound at low volume isn't all that bad but could be a lot better. LTD are ripoffs. I played metalcore, and it was okay but once I got the volume passed 4 it was terrible. it doesn't have much viearity of sounds, it sound muffled. I can see why because of the cheap, ESP LH100 humbucker "pickups". // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: When I opened the box and took out the guitar, it was set up to play already. For the first month everything seemed fine. The action was too high though, and had to get it adjusted. The guitar came free of flaws and and okay. The guitar got out of tune every single time I played it. The hardware wasn't going to last at all. The pickups are terrible and will take you to feedback mountain (means it will give you lot's of feedback). // 3

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with this guitar once, notice I'm saying "once". It did fine then. The guitar got scrathed a lot because of my belt, and was very noticable. A month and a half since I bouth the EX50 the unthinkable happened. The strap button ripped off when I was at band practice and my guitar fell! I wouldn't depend on it at all after that happened. The finish is okay, but I would recomend a better guitar. // 1

Overall Impression: I've been playing metal, and it's an okay match at low volumes. I wouldn't recomend it for live performance. my 150 dollar Ibanez GAX70 is way better than this POS. 2 months after july 2006 I ended up selling it to my bassist Who also plays guitar. Now I have an Ibanez RG350DX, Schecter Damien FR, Jackson RR3 Pro Series, and a Hamer XT S/F, and their alll a lot better than this. I wish I would have tested this with a halfstack before I got it. Such a waste of money. I hate everything about this amp, I wish it had better wood body, tuners, better neck, cooler inlays, better pickups, In other words, just another guitar that isn't an LTD. If it were stolen I would not buy this again, seriously. to me this guitar isn't worth its price, and should be sold at the most $100 US Dollars. // 1

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: darkinsanity92, on november 15, 2012

Features: The low end product of the Explorer series is a very well made guitar for any beginner or anyone looking to get into guitar. It has 22XJ frets, a bolt on construction, a gloss black finish, and a rosewood fretboard. It's a fixed bridge guitar so using it for multiple tunings won't be a big problem. It has ESP LH-150 pickups in both the bridge and neck along with a 3-way toggle switch. The Explorer shape looks really metal and it's finish looks outstanding. It has a basswood body and a maple neck. The other parts include ESP tuners, one volume knob, and one tone knob. This guitar was made and inspected in the United States. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal music and this guitar does get the job done really well with that genre or anything around it. I use a Line6 Spider III amp with the "Metal" or "Insane" effect on. There is a fair amount of feedback on the pickups but that can be overlooked on the messy settings. But overall, there's a pretty sharp sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action wasn't too great because I had intentions for it in D Standard. It still wasn't even that good in E Standard but adjusting the bridge gave a big help. Again, since the bridge had to be adjusted, the pickups had to be adjusted as well so they weren't properly set up. But other then that, everything's top notch! // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand Live playing at an average level. The neck seems to outweigh the body of the guitar consistantly. The strap buttons however, are not solid. The strap holder nearest to the neck got ripped out and later on the other one got ripped out. It's easy to repair them but things like this shouldn't occur when playing a guitar standing up. This is a dependable guitar but I would have a backup just in case. The finish is good enough to last, I play for about 4 hours a day and the finish still looks really good. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is really good for metal music and shouldn't be overlooked if someone is looking to get into guitar or is looking for a low priced guitar. I've been playing for about a year and a half, I own a ESP LTD V-401DX as well along with a Line6 PODX3 + Spider III amp. If it happened to be lost or stolen, I would buy it again because this guitar has been really, really good for me. I love the metal shape of it, I love how the neck feels, and overall I love how it plays for it's price. This can be compared to let's say, an F-50 or and AX-50. I picked this one because the finish is solid and that shapekicks ass. The only thing I wish this guitar had was 24 frets but it's not too big a deal. If you're looking for a low priced guitar that plays f--kin excellent, then you won't be dissapointed with the EX-50! // 9

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: Dennycrumbubble, on november 15, 2012

Features: -Manufactured: 2009 =Location: USA -Frets: 22 XJ =Rosewood -Solid Top: yes =Laminated: yes -Woods =Body: Agathis =Neck: Maple -Finish: Jet Black -Body Style: Other -Bridge Style: Tune-O-Matic w/ Stop Tailpiece -Active Electronics -Controls: =Toggle (3-way switch) =Volume =Tone -Pickup Config: H-H =Make/Model: ESP LH-100 Humbuckers -Tuners: Non-locking =Machine Heads: ESP-LTD Tuners -Included Accessories: NONE // 8

Sound: -Sound: Perfect for metal, and also can be set for other genres. Great overall, especially because I'm into all types of Rock. -Amps/Effects: Unfortunately, no pedals or anything like that at the moment, just a crappy old Crate amp and a decent Vox Valvetronix VT30 (30 watt), which comes built in with a few effects of its own. -Noise: A right builds and builds (and can actually get very loud) when the Gain is set to max and the Level to min. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: -Pretty well set-up at the factory. -Pickups played just as they should, no issues with them at all. -Properly bookmatched top and routed bridge. -NO FLAWS upon purchase. // 10

Reliability & Durability: -Yes, this guitar would definitely withstand live playing. It can take a beating. -The hardware seems like it will last for sure; for years to come. -Most solid strap buttons I've ever come across. -Very dependable, no issues, no need for backup at a gig (unless you smash it against a wall..) -Finish might degrade a little over time, but has been perfect so far. // 10

Overall Impression: -I play metal, hard rock, classic rock, alternative, punk..you name it, this guitar will play it. -Only been playing about a year and a half. Also have classical guitar experience/training; own a Yamaha CG101A; not the best, but it gets the job done. -No regrets after purchase =). -Since I am somewhat of a guitar virgin, I would like to explore some other models of guitars, but would probably find my way back to the EX-50. -I love the feel, shape, and sound that it produces: all suit me perfectly. However, I hate the strings it came with: complete garbage, but those can always be changed... with a little effort. Also had to lower the bridge a little bit, but that was just for some Eruption =). Favorite feature would have to be the overall shape: I love explorers so much, and this is the embodiment of the Metal version. -Compared it to just a few other guitars, such as the Les Paul, the Flying V, the Gibson SG, and a few others. The EX-50 was the best to me, however, because the others were either too common or too expensive. -Only wish it had a pickguard to complete the Explorer look. // 9

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Shop

Features: It's made in China (WTF !?) 2008 with 22 XJ frets , Rosewood fingerboard , Basswood body , Maple neck with a black finish that covers even the back of the neck where many guitars have plain wood color . It's the low end Explorer style guitar made by ESP , Tom bridge and tail , volume , tone , 3-way selector , ESP simple tuners . The thing that's new in this newer 2008 model is that it no longer has 2x ESP-100 pickups yet it has 2x ESP-150 pickups that deliver a much grater tone especially for metal players . All the hardware is chrome. // 7

Sound: I play mostly rhythm , with only a few solos and I'm driving it through a small practice amp at home (Harley Banton CG-15) with a Zoom 505II effect pedal and the sound is great , I found a preset for an effect that sounds like the one that James Hetfield used on "...And Justice for All" and the results were amazing , the distortion pumps through your veins delivering astonishing results with some pretty cheap gear . The guitar is loud as hell but yet the noise isn't very big . If you decide to play it clean the guitar will not seize to amaze you , although the volume drops a bit too much on clean. And if u want to make a solo every now and then it sounds perfect for slow solos , harmonies and stuff like that , I do not recommend it for tapping or sweep picking solos because it's just not made for that . // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: First of all the guitar was flawless in terms of design (only a scratch made the back by transportation probably) . The bridge was routed almost perfect , only the 1 fret sounded up one or two comas . The pickups are fine , adjusted in mirror image to each other . // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is awesome for live playing , the hardware will last a lifetime if taken good care of , the strap buttons are very solid , I never dropped it since I got it and using the same strap . You can surely depend on it without a backup . The only problem is I admit , the finish . It already started to wear off near the tuners ...but with a guitar care kit you will have no problems . // 8

Overall Impression: If there's one thing I didn't previously say in this review is that I would love to see a Ebony fingerboard , the sound is much more "metal" in a way . Anyways , good fucking guitar , I strongly recommend it for young metal players . Hell yeah ! // 9

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: rebornmaster9, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: I have always been atracted to Explorer shaped guitars, I just recently purchesed this guitar used and I am amazed. Its a relitivly simple guitar, 22 frets, thin neck, fixed bridge, one volume, one tone, 3 way selector. The pick ups are alright, I'm going to spice things up with some EMGs, but you really wouldn't need to. The Gun gray finish screams Metal. Though I wish I had 2 more frets but its not a big concern al the moment. This guitar will not go out of tune no matter how hard you play it. ESP knows how to make tuners and I would never swap them. // 10

Sound: I am a straight up metal head and this guitar suits this genre of music perfetly, when you crank up the gain this sucker roars, squeals, and growls like a beast. It also gets an amazing clean tone for all your haunting ballads and even blues licks. Through a beringer Vamp2 on L2 death metal setting you will get the best tone for everything from death metal to hard rock. It also delivers in the harmonics to, this baby squeals like nothing before it could, it completly blows my Strat out of the water. The neck is thin and I have found myself playing better and faster with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar used so normaly there are problems, none at all. Some of the frets buzzed a little, but I rose the action a little and I havn't had a problem. The bridge pick up feeds back on high volumes, but its the good feedback not a squeal that will have dogs running away and ears bleeding. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this guitar for gigs easily, only swaping to swap tunings, you could shoot this guitar and it would still last. And with my new strap this guitar stays where I want it to and goes where I tell it. I have played this bad boy for the last 3 days non stop. Though I'm not going to test its durability anytime soon, I'm sure it can take a beating, cause it dishes one out. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar was made to the metalhead on a budget, for the last 2 and a half years I have relied on my fender, no more, ESP lives up to its hype of making kick ass guitars with sweet looks and Killer tones. If I lost this guitar I would buy the exact same model ASAP. You wouldn't catch me dead with another guitar anytime soon. I wish I had EMGs but I can swap them any time I want. If you play any form of metal or hard rock, this is the guiar for you. // 10

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: Cookiezzz182, on november 15, 2012

Features: - Made in 2007, indonesia - 22 frets - basswood body - maple neck - contoured bolt on joint - 3 way pickup selector - rosewood fingerboard - ESP pickups - Polyutherane finish // 9

Sound: I play metal and it seems to suit me perfectly! It sounds great, nice and clear, the cleans lack a little but I expect nothing less from a guitar of this budget. I feel it has a great distortion input compared to other budget guitars. I want to change them out for EMGs just because the ESP pickups don't suit me. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was set up perfectly as it. Zero flaws when coming from the factory. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does withstand live playing just by the feel of it. I would definately use this without a backup if I had no choice, I always bring a spare just incase. The finish is nice and thick, I have dropped it once on a marble edge and only a small chip of paint came off, if it was something more expensive I would of expected it to damage the wood. // 10

Overall Impression: This definatley suits the metal genre. I've had it for almost two years and If I lost it I would most likely not buy it again due to the fact that I have a better guitar now but its a great budget guitar. I like everything about it except the strap buttons, they cause the guitar to be top heavy and the guitar begins to dive but I am sure this could be fixed by attaching a new strap button. I'll give it an 8 just because the guitar began to tip. // 8

LTD EX-50 Reviewed by: jaybrink10101, on april 18, 2014

- 2 ESP passive humbuckers
- Chrome ESP hardware, Tune-o-matic bridge
- 1 vol, 1 tone, 3-way switch
- Came with gig bag

All this has pretty much been covered in the other reviews - it's the bottom-of-the-line EX model from ESP with all the base electronics and equipment. Aimed at entry-level guitarists to do the job. I would have liked to see the other two knobs, and the hardware could be a little higher quality, but it holds it's tune and does the job, so no complaints. // 6

Sound: "Explorer" apparently equals "metal," which is probably what 98% of buyers use it for. The pickups are very hot, although to be fair my main frame of reference is a '71 Les Paul and a mutant Strat/RG thing I made out of a few guitars that had a high-speed collision with the road and a beer bottle, respectively, so I'm not exactly obsessed with high gain.

These pickups are quite bright and have a decent midrange, particularly on bridge. The neck pickup on mine was dead on arrival, I tinkered around and got it running before the wiring died permanently, so it's for all intents and purposes a single-pickup guitar. The bridge pickup is bright without being harsh, and gives off a good enough bass response without getting too muddy on the low strings, from memory of my 20-minute jam on the neck pickup, it handled soloing well, and cleans okay, but I wouldn't head down there for any rhythm playing for fear of drowning in mud. Response to the tone knob is pretty brutal, you wind it down and it kills literally all of the treble frequencies.

This guitar has been used in band practice playing some old-school blues derived hard rock, and in the studio playing alt-stuff, and handles both with equal aplomb. Running through a Dual Rectifier, it becomes evident just how hot this thing is, but to its credit, it manages to not get noisy or hissy and just gets the job done. This isn't exactly vintage Les Paul sounding, it's an entry-level metal axe and so for that it does the job.

For the alt-rock stuff we were running it into an Orange RV50 and Fender Deluxe Twin, and running on low gain and smothered in delay it sounds great. Definitely my preferred use for this thing, since the amp serves up most of the tonal colour and the guitar just gets a bright, humless signal to the amp. Versatile, and does what it says on the box. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Can't comment on factory setup since I bought it secondhand for $80 NZD which equates to like, $65 US or something, but I can confirm that the previous owner didn't know jack about setting up guitars, since the action was wonky as hell, with the low strings rattling up until 5th fret and the high strings up high enough that soloing is actually legitimately hard. One pickup screw was gone and it was hanging out of the guitar, and the wiring was gone. Based on that, I'll assume it was set up terribly.

8 hours of tools, cloths, oils, and new screws later, I have a functioning guitar on my hand which sounds great, and plays smoothly. So, the potential is there but you really have to wring it out. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems tough enough to handle live playing, but I would never, ever gig without a backup. The hardware has been, as I mentioned, extremely problematic to begin with, but having got it sorted now I think it will be there to stay. That said, I wouldn't put money on that, so I'll have to wait a little longer than a month to properly comment on this. This guitar is apparently 5 years old and it has 9 or ten bits of paint chipped off, and the dude that I bought it from claims to have not gigged, so I guess that the finish isn't particularly tough. Basically, like the rest of this guitar, it's sufficient and does the job, but is far from stellar. // 5

Overall Impression: For an $80 piece of scrap that I picked up, this guitar has done a great job of rising above my expectations. Unfortunately my expectations were low. So. I've been playing for about 5 years, and am in a gigging rock band and a non-gigging alt-rock band. It handles both of these things reasonably well without really excelling at anything. I certainly wouldn't actively recommend it to anyone, but I wouldn't discourage them from buying one as long as they were able to set up a guitar on their own.

The best feature about this guitar is either the neck or the way it handles mid-gain chordal stuff, it's smooth and tight and makes everything sound crisp. Overall this is pretty good for an entry-level ESP. // 6

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD Xtone PC-2-12 9 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014