LTD F-400FM Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD F-400FM
The F-400FM features a set-thru neck, 25.5" scale, mahogany body with flame maple top, 3-pc. maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, custom tribal graphic inlays, EMG-81 active set of pickups, volume, tone, 3-way toggle controls, Black + Earvana compensated nut & Grover tuners, Tune-O-Matic w/string-thru-body bridge, and 24 frets.
 8.7
 9.2
 8.1
reviews (3) 12 comments vote for this gear:
LTD F-400FM Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in korea in 2005, has 24 XJ frets & 25. 5 scale neck, a dark and nice rosewood fretboard with a maple neck and mahogany body and the neck construction is a set-thru (set neck with the impression of a neck-thru. With a flamed maple top and trans black highly polished finish, this guitar changes its colour depending on the light. Dark purple in yellow light (such as bulbs) & Graphite gray in white light. Tune-O-Matic bridge, active EMG 81 humbucker pickups-set, one tone control and one volume + pickupswitch. Grover tuners and earvana compensating nut for more precise intonation. // 9

Sound: I play hardcore, such as emocore in my band, and metalcore on my freetime, for this, it's really great! The distortion get to a higher level, the bass is boosted and shakes the whole room while the welldefined treble gives a great attack to your tone. On the clean channel, many would probably think that it sounds crap, because of the EMG's, but for some strange reason, the cleans are fantastic! The only explanation I can come up with must be that it must be I very fine piece of wood, because this guitar has an unbelievable tone! Sure, it's noisy. If you play next to your tv with full gain on your amp. Although I am totally satisfied, I guess people want more versatility in the already amazing tone this guitar can produce. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory settings were next to perfect, the only thing that possibly would be to complain about would be that the strings are a little low, but I like it! But the pickup adjustion is perfect, everything is, besides the string height. The guitar did have some flaws. On the lower horn/cutaway there was a chip on it, I don't think it was from dropping it though. And there was a little "orange-skin" beneath the other cutaway. I've also seen that some of these have had poorly filed frets aswell, but all of these were nicely filed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand liveplaying, no doubt! The strapbuttons that came with the guitar were good and wide, but I now have schaller strap-loks for a little more "extreme" stage moves, so with them, it will never let you down! The finish is high-polish, so it easily stains and gets scratchy, but I guess thats the price for a beutiful Shine from the guitar. I wouldnt hesitate to much if I didn't have an extra guitar for a gig, but I still would though, going without a backup is just stupid, even if your main guitar is great. // 8

Overall Impression: I guess that people wouldnt think it fits emocore so much, everyone says it's metal, but I fell in love with this guitar since the first day I saw it, and every time I look at it I think: "Damn, this guitar is beutiful!" I've been playing for four years now, and this is by far the greatest guitar I've ever played (I don't like real ESPs for some strange reason) and I play through a Roland and a V-Amp2. The V-Amp2 sucks, so the sound isn't all to good, but its not because of the guitar though! If it was stolen I would probably break down and cry for a couple of days, grab a pitchfork and hunt the sucker down, so I guess I care about the guitar. What I love about the guitar is that the tone is so beutiful! I don't hate anything with the guitar, but I may dislike that because of the unusual shape of it makes the weight balance a little distributed in a wierd way, so compared to a sturdy Les Paul, that has the bridge by the crotch, this one has it more to the right thigh, perhaps a decimeter, a little uncomfortable at first, but after reahearsing with the band a couple of times, it's ok. Anything I wish it had? Perhaps a harder and more durable paint. Besides from that this guitar is a miracle! // 10

LTD F-400FM Reviewed by: metal_militia, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: World music Supply

Features: This guitar was made in korea in 2005, has 24 XJ frets & 25. 5 scale neck, a dark and nice rosewood fretboard with a maple neck and mahogany body and the neck construction is a set-thru (set neck with the impression of a neck-thru. With a flamed maple top and trans black highly polished finish, this guitar changes its colour depending on the light. Dark purple in yellow light (such as bulbs) & Graphite gray in white light. Tune-O-Matic bridge, active EMG 81 humbucker pickups-set, one tone control and one volume + pickup switch. Grover tuners and earvana compensating nut for more precise intonation. // 10

Sound: This guitar perfectly fits my style of music (metal, death metal. I use it with a Randall 150 G3 stack and it sounds like satan on steroids. The guitar has EMG 81 pickups, which I was iffy on before I bought it, but they are amazing. The pickups have no hum or feedback when I crank my amp and have my gain at 11. It has a full heavy chug sound with it which is perfect for my style of music. The sustain and notation is godly, I can bend for days and it will still squeal. I've heard that EMG's are crap for clean but they seem alright, I don't play much country on this beast. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When it came out of the box it was perfectly set up (besides tuning). the action was so low I could blow on the neck and shred. The pickups were pretty well adjusted, the neck pickup was pretty low but I can tweak it. The neck markers look pretty sick, there were no flaws at ALL. it's a mahogony body so it has amazing sustain and is lighter than your girlfriends tits. Yup so the guitar was pretty virgin when I took it out of the box. Now it's not. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played Live with it yet, but it's pretty sturdy, the strap buttons are really sturdy. But I would get some strap locks. The tuners are precise and the knobs, uhhh well they turn alright. The finish would last but you can't see finger prints on it in the light. So clean it everytime you play it. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, this guitar was born for metal. The looks would make any woman orgasm and any emo kid to spontaneously combust. It's light as a feather too, like half the weight of a Gibson LP. I have been playing for a solid 8 years now and been gigging for 4 years, I have played everything from a Ibanez to a caster and this guitar kills them. I was going to buy a Schecter hellrasier but they don't ship where I live, don't get me wrong hellraisers are sexy but this guitar is excalibur. So seriously dudes get this guitar, get laid and kill emos with it. // 10

LTD F-400FM Reviewed by: eddiehimself, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Don't know but apparently it's new so that would make it 2008. Trans black (it's darker than the purple you usually see) Smoked hardware, 2xEMG 81 Humbuckers, Grover tuners, 25.5" scale, 24 frets, crazy inlay and a dual action truss rod (this is quite important, I'll explain later). // 8

Sound: The EMG pickups did take a bit of getting used to as I'm used to high output passive pickups but the sound is amazing. Harmonics are extremly loud, it manages to be very beefy and loud but at the same time with nicely rounded treble and is a very dynamic and sensitive pickup, great for recording. A lot of guitars these days have EMGs in them of course but I think the actual guitar itself sounds very nice too. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I did have a bit of a problem with the neck when I put some heavier strings on it. Turned out it's a dual action truss rod that you turn anti-clockwise to compensate for too much relief. If you're thinking of buying a guitar like this and plan to put heavier strings on it you should make a note of that. I had to set it up myself after that but it seemed well set up when I got it for those Who use Standard gauge strings. There is quite a bit of string buzzing but I think that's more to do with the fact that it's heavy strings in a low tuning and I like to have a very low action. The input and Switch felt very tight when I first got them which is a sign that it won't become flimsy over time. The knobs were very smooth. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it long but everything seems to be solid on it. As I said previously everything feels nice and tight. I think this guitar will last me a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and I think this guitar suits me very well, with it's beefy sound and low action. I've been playing for 3 and a half years now and I play this amp through a peavy Ultra x 112. I think I was told everything I needed to know about this product before I bought it. I wouldn't buy it again since I only got it because it was 150 cheaper than usual due to a crack in the finish and I don't usually like to buy the same gear twice anyway. It is a good guitar though and I might go with something further up the ESP range. I love the look of this guitar, the finish, the way it plays and it's sound. I would have liked to have seen an EMG 85 or a 60 in the neck instead of 2 81s. I might get an 85 and put it in the neck some time, then put the 81 in the bridge of my other guitar at some point or something. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600 FR Gus G Signature 7 Electric Guitars 09/11/2014