LTD F-50FR Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/13/2015 category: Electric Guitars
It has a rich/full sound all the way around. The sound it creats is really bright for how cheap this guitar is. This guitar can make a multitude of sounds!
reviews (2) pictures (3) 12 comments vote for this gear:
LTD F-50FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This guitar has some GREAT features and some not so great features (just like any other guitar!). This is a list of all the features from Musician's Friend: - Basswood Body - Bolt-on Maple Neck - 25.5" Scale - Rosewood Fingerboard - 42mm Standard Nut - Thin U Neck Contour - 24 XJ Frets - ESP LH-150 Pickups - Master Volume, Tone and 3-way Toggle - Chrome Hardware - ESP Tuners - Floyd Rose Special Bridge I give the features an 8 because they could make some of the items like the pickup selector a little more sturdy. // 8

Sound: My music style consists of anything from Slipknot --> TDWP --> BFMV --> Lamb Of God --> The Doors. So really, its an all around stlye of music for me. As for the guitar... It will play ANY genre of rock / Hard Rock you want it to. I hope that you won't decide to play COUNTRY with it, as its most likley not suited for that. I am using a Peavey Multi-Effects Amp. I also use a Danelectro "Cool Cat" distortion pedal as well as a "Cool Cat" tremolo pedal. Along with those 2, I also have a red phasel Dunlop Crybaby that I use for little effects here and there. I also use a DigiTech Whammy pedal. It is noisy if you MAKE it noisy. Meaning, if you turn it up loud, its gonna be noisy. It does have a little bit of feedback issues / static sound issues, but that's only on certain settings. It has a rich / full sound all the way around. The sound it creats is really bright for how cheap this guitar is. This guitar can make a MULTITUDE of sounds! I gave teh Sound a 9 because its not exactly Les Paul / Ibanez GEM quality sound, but extreamly close to it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was actually well set up at the factory. The action was just right for when I was starting to learn to play guitar, but was WAY to low for Drop A songs like slipknot songs. While on the subject of the action, its VERY SENSATIVE! I eventually hardtailed my action so I could change tunings easily without having to adjust screws and spring tension. But if your only going to play songs that varry a few root notes from Standard, you shouldn't have to adjust. When I went into C tuning, I had to loosen the screws holding the FR so it would float, but that's about it. The pickups were well adjusted and do NOT need adjusting. Well, maybe if your a pro tuff kid guitarist its not, but for a simple 15 year old like me, its fine. Everything was rounted fine and the top was bookmatched. The only flaw of the guitar was the pickup selector toggle switch. The plastic cover came off very easily. I gave the Action, Fit and Finish an 8 because its good for the money, but once again, not like a Good Les Paul / Ibanez GEM... // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, this guitar has and I'm sure WILL stand more live playing. The only thing is that I put a Killswitch in mine like buckethead and messed up (but then fixed) my internals. The hardware does seem like it will last. I've had this guitar for 2 years now and all it needs is a new string change every 6 months or so to be fresh and have good quality sound. The strap buttons are EXTREAMLY solid. I have basicly been bouncing around on stage with it and never once did it budge. So its all good there. Most of the time you can depend on it. There was this one time I was doing a demonstration for my BoyScout troop and hte whammy bar came loose about half way through and then the pickups / input jack faltered a bit. You should ALWAYS bring a back-up guitar to gigs no matter how good / how terrible you are. This finish is good enough to last, every now and then a good wipe with a most paper towel is good to get the dust off. As for it wearing off with lots of playing? No, it hasn't. I have ate Chicken Wings and then played it almost right after with slightly greasy hands but still played fine and hasn't warn off yet. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, I play anything from Slipknot to BFMV to EVH to Lamb Of God to you name it (Besides country!) music types. As for the matching, its a GREAT match for my playing style. That beining solos / lead playing. I have been playing for around 3 years now. I am self taught and have got gigs at local bars and the local bowling alley every now and then. Other gear I own include a RP-50 DigiTech Multi Effects pedal used as a cheap tuner. Nope, I did all my research and came up with what guitar to buy. Not dissapointed with my selection at ALL! I probably wouldn't buy another one, I'd probably spend a little more and get a better ESP, but if it got stolen, my gold coverage from Musician's Friend would cover it (thanks guys!). What I love about this product is the PRICE! I got mine for $150. I also love the Floyd Rose special Tremolo that came with it. That was a nice add on. What I hate about it is well, nothing. My favorite feature would probably be the Floyd Rose, other then that, the XJ frets would be a close 2nd. I compared it to high end Guitars like a Kirk Hammet Signature guitar, A Slash Style Les Paul, and even my dream guitar, the Ibanez GEM. And to be honest, its like they say: "You get what you pay for". What I wish it had would be some better pickups, better tuning knowbs, and a killswitch so you don't have to mess up your "tone" knob. // 9

LTD F-50FR Reviewed by: dabdabtheduck, on november 13, 2015

• Country: Indonesia
  • Frets: 24, Jumbo, Rosewood
  • Body: Solid, Laminated top
  • Finish: Glossy black
  • Body Style: Odd-bodied strat, essentially, it looks like a strat with chunks ripped out of it
  • Bridge Style: Floyd Rose
  • Controls: 3-way pickup selector; Volume + Tone knob
  • Floyd Rose Arm
  • Pickups: 2 Humbuckers
  • Tuner: locking, ESP tuners
  • Accessories: Cable + tools.
I would recommend replacing the screws and metal portions of the guitar, such as the locking nut screws and tops, the string saddles, and the bridge, along with the knobs because they have no markings on them, and I like to see numbers. Also, I would get a hard-shell case for it, because while it may be durable, it won't survive me rolling over it with a pickup truck. // 8

Sound: It plays a wide range. I have played everything from polka to heavy metal on it, and it sounds fine. Turn off distortion, clear as a bell, crank it up, chunky as Metallica. While some may complain about nosiness with distortion, any true metal fan will realise that you can remove this effect using simply editing software if you are recording a song and if you are just jamming, it really doesn't matter, I've gotten oohs and ahhs at gigs with it just fine, even with scratchy sound, because, with metal, that sounds ok, nice even. When you turn off the distortion, you lose the scratchiness which is a plus, the sound is clear as a bell. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The sole factory set-up was completely fine. Everything was tight, the pickups were fine, there were no flaws, bridge had proper placement. The problem came with later playing. Any player that has locking tuning machines knows the struggle of having to undo the lock every 3 months or so to check tuning. The metal of the screws was so soft that, not only did the tuning lock screws get stripped, the actual string saddle cracked, and I had to replace the entire Floyd Rose bridge. But, for $150, you get what you pay for. Just run over to Amazon, and buy some replacements, it'll last you a lifetime, and you'll spend $250 tops. In fact, I wasn't a big fan of the chrome plated screws and bridge, so I replaced it with matte black hardware, and it looks even more slick. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As I said earlier, if you replace the metallic parts (screws, bridge, machine, etc), then this guitar will last forever. I've played on stage with it numerous times, so many I can't count, and its lasted through everyone of them without fail. Would I use it at a gig without a backup? No, I never play without a backup in general, as every guitarist knows you gotta cover your ass when it comes to on-stage problems. Everything is ship shape and will last a lifetime, granted you spend the $75 for replacement metal parts. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I think that this guitar is perfect for players with a lower budget, who play a lot of guitar, who would use it on stage, and who play a wide range of music. I play everything, I mean everything, from polka to heavy metal, the Beatles to Slayer, and this guitar can emulate the tones of every single one of those guitar (of course, not perfectly, that would be impossible). But yes, I love the look of it, it has a slick body, perfect for any kind of rock, and I love its durability and versatility, granted parts are replaced. If I lost it, and I had the option of replacing it, I would, but, being me, if one of my guitars fall in action, they are laid to rest, never replaces. There can only be one Arya (her name), and if it falls, I would buy a new, different model of guitar. I do wish that the guitar had one non-humbucker pickup with a 5 tone switch though, because that would only add to the versatility of the guitar. Other than that, perfect. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD V-50 8.4 Electric Guitars 11/07/2015