LTD FB-200 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD FB-200
It has 24 xj frets, a basswood body, a maple neck. It also has EMG Hz passive pickups, with an EMG afterburner gain boost.
 7.8
 6.1
review (1) 17 comments vote for this gear:
LTD FB-200 Reviewed by: Rotatous, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar center (used)

Features: My guitar was made in Korea, in 2000. It has 24 xj frets, a basswood body, a maple neck, and has a (kinda) navy blue finish. It also has EMG Hz passive pickups, with an EMG afterburner gain boost. I wasn't too thrilled with the features on this guitar, but for the price, I just had to get it. Also, even for a used guitar, the craftsmanship really shines compared to a lot of the newer ltds (Ill get into that later). // 8

Sound: With metal distortion, this guitar sounds just terrible (I'm not sure if I would say this guitar is best for metal). The EMG hz pickups will be the first thing to go. The afterburner doesn't help at all. I'd describe it's tone as muddy. This guitar is great for cleans though. And with a little afterburner, you can really get some nice jazz tones. Overall I'm disappointed with the sound. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used, and when I got it, everything looked as if it were set up by a child. Rusty strings, strings not in saddles, super low action, etc. But since I've fixed everything up + new strings, It feels great. The finish doesn't seem to have any flaws aside from the wear made by it's previous owner. The hardware is a bit rusted, not too much though. All of the controls are fine, no noisy pots or anything. When changing the battery for the afterburner, I found that the electronics looked neater, and more professionally soldered than that of my mh-250nt. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this could withstand many shows. it's a really solid guitar (built like a tank). I'll probably get strap-locks though, the old ones are pretty loose. The wood is soft though; you'll probably get a number of dents, but nothing fatal. The shape of the guitar also makes it vulnerable to dents, on any of it's corners. // 9

Overall Impression: I play in a progressive death metal band, and I definitely wont be recording with this. It'll make a good backup though, and if it were stolen, I probably wouldn't buy another, considering how little there are in good condition. I would recommend this to anyone in search of a solid Baritone guitar that will last. But if you really want to step it up, I'd say get an mhb-400. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD Xtone PC-2-12 9 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014