LTD FX-260SM Review

9.6
reviews (3) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
LTD FX-260SM Reviewed by: Thurisaz, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Music123

Features: It's a 2008 Indonesian guitar. 22 XJ frets on a rosewood board, Abalone Dot inlays with a model name inlay at the 12th fret, no binding, thin you neck, which has enough to do rhythms and chords comfortable, yet not so much that it hinders speed for soloing and 24.75" neck. It's a solid top with spalted maple veneer, and satin finish. The guitar has maple and mahogany in one form or another, mostly mahogany. The body style is similar to an EX, but with more contours. Tune-o-matic bridge with a stop tail piece. Passive EMG-ESP electronics. One vol, one tone with a push pull coil tap, and a 3 way Switch, offers a ton of variety. 2 humbuckers; the ESP LH-301 model. Tuners are Standard ESP's but I plan to change them out if I can find some darkened steel ones like what's on it currently. The guitar came with two allen wrenches to adjust the truss rod and remove the knobs. // 9

Sound: It suits metal perfectly. Look, and tone. I use a Peavey Rockmaster tube head, a Laney 2X12 cab, and one of my Rocktron distortion pedals with an Original Crybaby and DOD250 preamp. It has enough variety for what I do. It's only noisy if the effects I'm using cause it to feedback. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action and finish was perfect, I didn't mess with it at all. I adjusted the pickups a little, because they were like 1/32" too close to the strings. Intonation of the bridge doesnt't need much work, but it's not perfect. The bridge is properly routed [I had a Dean that I hated because the bridge wasn't properly routed, and it has been sold off for that reason.] When I got the guitar, I couldn't tell if it was coil tapping or not on the bridge pickup, but it seems to have warmed up in my house and is very obvious now. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems like it'd withstand Live playing, but the hardware won't "last"; I Live in a state that is by the ocean [and while I'm on the complete opposite side of the state] oxidiation is still a problem. The strap buttons are solid, but I think I will have two more put on to try to aid balance and give options to connect the strap. I'm not sure about satin finish and how long it lasts, but the finish seems sufficient enough to me. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and this is perfect for playing metal. I've been playing almost 7 years in April. I'd buy this guitar again if stolen or lost, it's excellent. I love the pickups, and my favorite feature is the coil tap. I compared it to an Epiphone Goth Explorer, and the FX260 didn't have pickup complaints like the Epiphone. I wish it had the H-500 pickup setup, with the p90/single coil/hum options, or a second volume control. But this guitar is insanely awesome. // 9

LTD FX-260SM Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: A$ 450

Purchased from: www.ebay.com.au

Features: LTD FX 260 SM. I got mine off eBay Australia with a hardcase and EMG (81 and 85) already installed for 450 au. Short review! You can read the other reviews for the more detailed information. This review is more about my guitar. Only difference is EMG's. Mine has an EMG 81 and 85 and sounds excellent. The switch for the pickups isn't very durable though -it cuts out or doesn't give the full sound... Sometimes! Set neck. // 8

Sound: I play 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s metal and rock.excellent for thrash and soloing it doesnt't have a massive fretboard. I'm using a Peavey Bandit 112 100 watt transtube technology Sheffield equipped combo. Which I also got off ebay for $200 AU and $50 postage. I use medium strings and play in drop C. Tuning holds very well. Squeals sound excellent. Heavy riffs are pretty good to. I go to the fatter sounding pick up. Whatever one that is idk idc. Can get some good blues solo sound. Other pick is good for thrash. Sounds bad when soloing. Can turn down the tone and wont have any screeching or buzzing shit. Unless of course you take your hand off the strings. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Made in Indonesia. Neck hasn't bent yet and it hasn't got a tremolo so I've done the neck bend a few times and its all fine. The person I bought it off got a full service before I bought it. Only had minor problems with the pick up selector. Hasn't stuffed up live. Only practice. Might be because I might not move it fast enough or hard enough. I don't think everyone will like the wood colour though. I like it because its unique and I haven't seen anyone else with it. Not another Strat man. Haha. // 8

Reliability & Durability: My friend through a drum stick at my guitar and left a an end of a drum stick size mark. wasn't used to it at first and was watching my self in the mirror in the hallway playing it. Hit it against the wall a few times since I wasn't used to the extra shape. But it survived all that just fine. Strap buttons are solid and look pretty good. The strap hasn't come off once live. Only in my room once while I was looking at the back of it and it came loose and I let it back down but I caught it because I'm a ninja. // 8

Overall Impression: Good match for metal.rock blues. havent tried much else with it. Been playing for 5 years. LTD FX 260 SM with EMG 81 in the bridge and EMG 85 near the neck. Casino Electric Guitar. Valencia Acoustic Guitar. SX bass guitar. AMPLIFIERS: Peavey Bandit 112 100 watt (Sheffield equipped). Behringer 15 watt. Marshall Mini Amplifier (1 watt). Legend 40 watt with Reverb. 2 Roland speakers. Roland Amplifier. EFFECTS: Behringer (Ultra Metal, Chorus, Wah). DigiTech (Death Metal). Effects board with 4 band inputs. I would buy a new guitar if this were stolen or lost. Only cause its a new opportunity for something different. Who would wanna do the same thing everyday? I like the EMGs. Unique finish and body shape. Excellent price. I think its $650-$750 stock brand new in Australia. // 9

LTD FX-260SM Reviewed by: LTDFreak, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Ritchie's Music Center

Features: Made in Indonesia I believe. Very high quality. 22 frets, C shaped neck profile, similar to a Gibson Explorer type of neck. The looks on this guitar is killer. Simply kick ass in every way. The hardware is more than what you would expect from a $400 guitar. Good bridge, good quality tuners what more could you ask for? Serious Bang for the Buck. // 9

Sound: Well, here is where it gets a bit iffy. I play thrash metal, and this guitar suits it perfectly. Well, now it does anyway... The ESP pickups aren't the best. They are supposed to sound like EMG's but they don't. They're not bad by all means, but I swapped them out for Seymour Duncan Distortion Neck and Bridge pickups. Now it SCREAMS. Sounds better than any Gibson Explorer I've ever played that's for sure. And still under $500. I play it through a Randall RH150 VD and its just Killer to the max. Definitely something worth looking into. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was spot on perfect. Very good setup, definitely a plus. The pickups were adjusted good as well, I'm not a 100% purist, so they sounded fine. The bridge is great. Enough said, perfect for that 80s 90s thrash in every way. The finish, AKA spalted maple top is FLAWLESS, and beautiful. I've had MANY compliments on my guitar after getting off stage. Very cool. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Reliability is one of the major ups for this guitar. I've owned it for 8 months now, and its as mint as the day I got it. I gig twice a month, and this guitar gets hell of a beating. The build is unbelievable. By far the most durable guitar I've ever owned. The strap buttons aren't the best, but if you're gonna play live, shouldn't you have a set of strap locks anyway? // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. Period. The best guitar I've ever owned, I will NEVER get rid of this guitar. If stolen, I would break down and cry, and fork over the $600 for the FX 360, its big brother. All in all, great guitar. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600 FR Gus G Signature 7 Electric Guitars 09/11/2014