LTD H-250 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD H-250
It features neck-thru-body construction, 25.5 scale, agathis body, flame maple top, 3-pc. maple neck,rosewood fingerboard, dot inlays w/model name at 12th Fret, Duncan Designed HB-102 set of pickups volume, tone, 3-way slotted toggle, chrome hardware, Tune-O-Matic w/stop tailpiece, binding is natural on body top and white on neck and headstock, and 24 frets.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 8.5
 6.9
 8.3
 5.4
reviews (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
LTD H-250 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in 2004 in the USA. This guitar has 24 XJ frets. The neck is a 3-pc. maple/rosewood. The inlays are dots with the model name on the 12th fret. The pickups are 2 Duncan Design HB-102 humbuckers. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic with a stop tailpiece. The Body is made of agathis with a flame maple top. The electronics in it is volume, tone, 3-way slotted (push-pull coil tap on tone). This is a neck-thru-body/25.5".The color options are see-thru red and see-thru blue. The only things that came with this guitar is 2004 ESP product guid and an amp cable. // 8

Sound: I play rock and metal music. This duitar is very versitile. You can have the destortion cranked up but then you could have good clean tone. I use a Marshall MG30DFX amp with it. Along with the amp I use a DigiTech RP50 foot-pedal. The combination with both of them is a real nice turnout. It humms a little bit with a lot of distortion but not very much. This guitar can spit out crazy high-pithed sounds to mellow country-like crap. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When the guitar was delivered the set up was just fine. When I plugged it in the action was fine I had like no problems. I only had to make minor adjustments to the pickups. All the screws were tight, everything was lined up and the bridge was good. There was no flaws on the guitar at all. It was in exelent condition. The finish was clean and shiney and there wasn't even a smudge or a fingerprint. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is like more of a practice guitar than a good-size concert. It will do pretty good at like a small gig or a cafe'. The hardware didn't impress me to much. After about 2 weeks of just playing in my room the nob broke off. The knobs metal thing that it sits on collapsed and so now I hardly have a volume knob. I wouldn't use it in a big gig but if you play on the street or in a talent show then it is a great guitar. The finish is great. It will last a long time. Before I had strap-locks I was at my friends birthday party and the strap came off and slamed onto the pavement. There were a couple chips taken out but it was still a great finish. // 6

Overall Impression: It is a pretty good mach for someone Who plays rock or metal. I have been playing for 3 1/2 years so far. Besides the Marshall and the DigiTech foot-pedal I have a small 15 watt Fender amp a crappy little Squire, and a Danelectro Fab Tone foot-pedal. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would get a new guitar. I like the sound and versatility of the guitar. I hate how it humms with high distortion. One of my favorite features is the Push-Pull coil tap. I compared it to a Jackson WRXT X Warrior, and a Ibanez Iceman X. I didn't like the floyd rose on the Jackson and the Ibanez felt realy small when I held it. // 7

LTD H-250 Reviewed by: makutoid, on november 15, 2012

Features: I believe the one I got was made in 2004, and the headstock says it's an indonesian one which contrary to popular opinion isn't actually that bad. It comes with 22 jumbo frets on a fairly thick neck, joined to a beautifully finished maple top. The body is mainly made of Agathis wood which is better than Ash (which Fender use) in terms of resonance and sound quality but can be weak in places. The fixed tune-o-matic bridge seems a good choice, makes palm mutes sound pretty cool and keeps it nicely in tune! The pickups are Duncan Designed, H202 or something like that I think, and are matched with master volume and tone pots, the tone pot being a push pull Switch which allows a coil tap. I got a pretty good deal and managed a Peavey hardcase worth about 80 with this on purchase:) // 9

Sound: Unlike most people who go for ESP guitars, I have never played a metal song and do not intend to in the near future, if ever. My kind of music is classic rock or modern rock, a bit of Acoustic finger picking stuff but not metal. With the coil tap feature I get all the sounds necessary for my styles of music, and the pickups are actually pretty good. I use it with a Boss ME-20 pedal and an original Marshall Valvestate, comes out with some awesome distortion and also great tone for clean/acoustic. The only time I got any unwanted noise from it was when I was way too close to the amp and was using a dodgy distortion pedal so other than that it's all been pretty good. Most reviews of this guitar/ the pickups on it, have criticised it and said it's poor when it comes to bends and solos. I'd have to disagree, it gives a great sound whenever I bend a string and picks up every note exactly how I want it. I understand that metal heads want the high pitched screams that dogs run away from, but for my music its great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I bought mine from someone else, I can't tell you how it came from factory. But as it is, everything is very well put together and there wasn't any hardware adjustment or woodwork done to the best of my knowledge. Obviously with jumbo frets like on this, the action has to be higher off the fretboard than most guitars would, but it works out ok as the fret height sort of counteracts it. In a way that makes it easier to shred and play the really fast stuff. The intonation was properly set up as well, which in my experience of 9 electric guitars and 2 acoustics is a rare occurance, so obviously I'm happy with that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: For a month or two now this has served me very well, playing between 1 or 2 live gigs a week. It always holds its tune nicely and the hardware seems more reliable than some other stuff I've had! The strap buttons are great, the flat side makes the strap much more inclined to stay on, giving me a lot more confidence and freedom as I'm not worried about it falling off the strap. The finish is great, its not too thin and it feels durable enough to stay on for a while. It doesn't look like it'll loose its colour or its Shine in the near future:) // 9

Overall Impression: For my rock sound this guitar is great, suits pretty much everything if you know when to use the coil tap. After playing for about 3 years (not very long but built up plenty of knowledge and experience) I'd confidently say this is one of my best guitars. Alongside my Jap Les Paul copy, custom Strat and several others this is a very good addition:) I would definately try to replace it if anything happened, but obviously that's quite difficult as they stopped production and aren't many around... I love the fact that the thru-neck is joined so smoothly that you get to the high end of the neck with absolutely no trouble at all, makes it so easy and seamless to play solos. As for what I hate, there's nothing! A slight frustration that the coil tap cuts the pickup output but that's inevitable really. This guitar is brilliant, I haven't played the new version - MH-250 - so I can compare it, but I know that this one is great and I made a very good decision to buy it:) // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD EC-50 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/26/2014