LTD H-50 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD H-50
Part of the LTD series, the ESP H50 features a tune-o-matic, w/stop tailpiece bridge and ESP LH-100 pickups. An agathis body, maple neck and black hardware make this a must have guitar!
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 Features: 7.8
 7.6
 7.8
 7.4
reviews (4) 9 comments vote for this gear:
LTD H-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Steves Music

Features: It was made in 2004 I believe in Indonesia, hence the low price. Has a 25.5" scale with 22 extra jumbo frets on the rosewood fingerboard, very nicely done. It has a maple neck and a solid agathis body which makes it nice and light, and a tuno-matic bridge with stoptail all black. Comes with the standard Hum hum with the LH-100's and a 3-way, one volume and one tone pretty standard. Gets a four because the pickups are par, nothing special, already swapped in an invader less than a week in. // 8

Sound: The stock sound is average, but distorts very well, but to get a full thick sound you have to use both pu's, not that the bridge is tinny, just not full. On the bright side the pickups are virtually noiseless, I ran it through a 100 watt Marshall and still stayed quiet on the high gain. Definetly a distorted guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar shines! Everything was impeccable from the factory, couldnt be happier. Frets were beautiful, no burrs, no bumps, no dead spots. Ideal. The action was set very well, but of course thats always a personal preference. It was mid-high, which is perfect for me, I'm no shredder nor will I ever be so it sits right. The guitar came in-tune, not just relative, but spot on. Intonation was even spot on, I was blown away. Pickups were right where they should be and the guitar looked fantastic. No dings, scratches, blems or anything, the metallic blue looked so deep, great paint. Wish I could go over five. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability is hard to judge since it's only about a month old. Seems like it would do fine, would need to baby it. Body feels solid, and the hardware seems fine. You might want to swap out the tuners though since it start to lose tune after maybe 2-3 hours of hard playing, locking ones would be hot. Strap buttons? Well, the horn one is good, but for some reason the bottom keeps slipping. Strap locks for you. I think I could use it without backup, but ideally I'd have my other one just in case. You never know, and the finish seems good. Paint feels thick and I think it'll last. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, great intermediate guitar, finally dumped my 6 year old Squier. Plays great through both my amps 20W and 100W and loves the distortion. If it were stolen theres a good chance that I'd consider it for replacement, of course by then hopefully I'll have enough money for an upgrade. Can't complain about ESP's though. // 10

LTD H-50 Reviewed by: iampeter, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Used, craigslist

Features: This is a ESP LTD H-50 from 2006,made in Indonesia. BOLT-ON CONSTRUCTION 25.5 SCALE AGATHIS BODY MAPLE NECK ROSEWOOD FINGERBOARD DOT INLAYS ESP LH-100 PICKUPS VOLUME & TONE CONTROLS W/3-WAY TOGGLE BLACK HARDWARE TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE W/STOP TAILPIECE 22 XJ FRETS BLACK CHERRY (BCH) // 8

Sound: The guitar is Bright sounding. With proper EQing, it can be controlled to sound warmer. 2 Humbuckers are silent through a Roland Microcube. The neck humbucker is clear and bright. It has enough gain to do pinch harmonics. The bridge is great for everything else, but it is a bit muddy. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar needed to be setup properly after it was pulled from storage before I bought it. After owning it for half a year, the major changes to the guitar since purchase was only changing the strings and adding a small neck shim to correct action in the upper frets(12-22 frets). The Action is great for a beginner and the stop tail/Tune O Matic is easy to maintain. The guitar stays within relative tuning for hours, but if you were to check a tuner, it will be off by 5 Cents or more after a few hours. There are a few high frets on the low E string side of the neck, but the rest of the frets are excellent. Pickups are easy to adjust. None of the hardware has rusted or had paint falling off, this is excellent feature in Hawaii's humidity. The guitar cable jack will get loose, but I just tighten it with my fingers. After buying it, I just tightened all the tuners and never once had to adjust the truss rod. It feels awkward at first accessing the upper frets, but fret 20-22 is doable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have never played live, but I would upgrade the Tuners/Tune-O-Matic/Nut to higher quality parts if I intend to. Hardware's finish is great, paint is nicer then how it shows up in pictures on the internet. I would stay safe with a backup with the upgrades mentioned. The strap buttons are strong and only needed to be tightened once. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing since late summer 2009 and I feel the guitar is a great fit for me. My hands do not cramp from the neck being too thin or too big. If this would be stolen, I would definitely try find a upgrade to a higher range guitar. From a beginners point of view, this is a great starting guitar, could of spent less money on it, but its still worth finding it. Teardrop headstock is the best! // 10

LTD H-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: Rosewood neck/fretboard is inlaid with dots and the model name at the 12th XJ fret and is wedded to an agathis body. LH-100 pickups deliver the goods and are controlled with volume, tone, and 3-way toggle controls. The Tune-O-Matic bridge and sleek black hardware serve up tuning stability and slick looks. // 6

Sound: This guitar is good for any style really. Its basically an all around guitar. I run it through Line 6s and Marshalls. It sounds really good on distortion. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was not set up very well. The string action is extremely high. I tryed to have the store I bought it from fix it but they said it would cost about 100 bucks. The back bottom side had a bubble under the paint which is now peeling pretty high up. I put a new nut on it because the other one was offset with the strings. My guitar was really not set up all too well. When they were making it they were using cheap materials and not really giving too much care with this guitar. // 4

Reliability & Durability: No, I would not suggest bringing this to live playing. It's a beginner guitar but definately not a good one. I would rather play with a Squir Bullet then this. // 4

Overall Impression: I play alternative rock mostly. It works ok. But I definatly rely on my Squire then this guitar. // 4

LTD H-50 Reviewed by: xdavecorex, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 285

Purchased from: Musikhaus Thomann

Features: The guitar is not a H-50 but a H-101 and the only difference is the flamed maple top. It was made in 2009 in China. The scale is 25.5 and the guitar has 24 XJ frets on a rosewood fingerboard. The H-101 has a solid top. The body is made of agathis and the neck is a bolt-on maple. The finish is a flamed maple in the color Aged Sunburst. The body style is a double cutaway like the ESP Horizon. The bridge is a TOM-bridge with String-thru-body. It has no tremolo. The pickups are passive ESP LH-150 humbuckers in neck and bridge position. Beneath the pickups are two controls, one for volume and one for tone, and a 3-way-switch for pickup selection: Upper position for neck, middle for both and down for bridge. The tuners are ESP tuners. Unfortunately there wasn't even gigbag, cable or strap included, only one tool. The only thing I wished, was other color choices of the finish (black, white, blue,...) Please remember that I rate this guitar on the features you get for the price // 9

Sound: This was my first electric guitar so I have no comparision to other guitars. Unplugged the guitar sounds a bit metallic and thin, but obviously it isn't meant to be played unplugged. So, I mostly play thrash metal/metalcore/hardcore/deathcore. Basicly the hi-gain section. And the guitar plays it pretty well. The guitar sounds very good through my gear. I can't compare the pickups to EMG's and SD's and I don't even want to compare them, because they are good for the price. I play the guitar through a Danelectro Fab Metal Distortion Pedal and a Harley Benton 15 Watt amp with Chorus and Delay effect. Clean the guitar sounds very ringing and with the Chorus effect you can get a warm Nothing Else Matters tone. With a bit of distortion you can get a nice bluesy tone and also Hard Rock isn't impossible. But this guitar is made for Metal and Hi-Gain stuff so turn the gain up high and rock on. The distorted sound is very direct on the neck and bridge pickup, only the middle position sounds not good for my likeing. But the middle position sounds good on clean. This guitar has a large variety but only high-sounds really satisfying. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was set-up at the shop and they did a great job. The action is very good. The pickups were good adjusted and the bridge was also good routed. The finish was also great without any flaws or lack of paint or something. The strings were also replaced by the shop. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definetly survive hardcore headbanging and jumping if you put on a good strap. The tuners are very stable and keep in tune. The strap buttons are also very reliable and strong. The finish will last but a few scratches will happen. I would depend on it on stage but would have another guitar as backup because things can always happen. Maybe a fan wants your guitar in the middle of a gig? You never know. // 9

Overall Impression: Well from the color I wouldn't tell that this is a guitar suited for heavy music, but it is. And it can handle lighter genres such as blues or rock. But highgain is it's home. I have been playing now for 5 years Acoustic guitar and own a Stagg western guitar and a Epiphone SST Studio. I only own the Harley Benton amp and the Danelectro distortion pedal. If it was stolen or lost I would buy another one and then save up for a higher model with EMG's. I love the cutaway, so I can reach the 24 frets without difficulties. I hate most the headstock because the 2010 model looks more metal. My favorite feature is the neck. It is really thin and you can shred. I compared this guitar to a LTD MH-50NT, an Epiphone Explorer Gothic and an Epiphone Les Paul Gothic, but this guitar was just perfect for me because it is very light but has a powerfull sound. I wish they had other finishes perhaps a black or green flamed maple top and block inlays but then I would have to pay more. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD Alexi-200 8.4 Electric Guitars 04/16/2014