LTD JH-200 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 09/09/2013 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD JH-200
This guitar is Jeff Hanneman of Slayer's signature ESP. It's got 24 frets and rather cool eagle inlays. It's a Strat style with a floyd rose licenced bridge, and EMG-HZ pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 8.7
 8.7
 8.6
reviews (3) pictures (2) 22 comments vote for this gear:
LTD JH-200 Reviewed by: jonnyanomaly2, on november 15, 2012

Features: The guitar is Jeff Hanneman of Slayer's signature ESP (well LTD). It's got 24 frets and rather cool eagle inlays. The neck is bolted on and I'd pleasingly thin, making it very easy to play. It's a Strat style with a floyd rose licenced bridge, and EMG-HZ pickups. These are all makings of a decent metal guitar. // 9

Sound: This guitar is great for the metal stuff I play, the EMGs give a great sound along with my Line 6 Uber Metal pedal. And you can make some amazing sqeals with the floyd rose. EMG-HZ's are not active, so are probably not as versatile as regular EMGs, but they still deliver a really good heavy tone, which is versatile enough for switching between solo, and riffing tones (both of which being very easy with the very thin neck). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was just fine, not too high, but not ridiculously low. I didn't even take notice of the pickups, which probaly meant they were adjusted fine, However there is a slight rattle on when you play the second fret, but you don't notice it with an amp. Apart from that all of the pickup switches, tone knobs and other controls and things are fitted perfecly. Another thing is, with the floyd rose, it doesnt't really matter about the action as you get it from the factory as it is easily changeable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played gigs with this guitar, but it has served me well in numerous 3 hour band practices, never going out of tune or anything. I have had no problems with the strap buttong which are properly screwed in and don't even budge. The finish seem good, and resistant to scratces. Another thing is, with the floyd rose, it doesnt't really matter about the action as you get it from the factory as it is easily changeable. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, and this is a guitar built for Jeff Hanneman, so it will be good for metal. I've been playing for 3 years now, and own a les paul, and this guitar surpasses it easily. As far as effects are concerned, I only really use the Line 6 Uber Metal. If it were stolen, I would buy it again if I could resist the Alexi Laiho guitar lol. I like everything about it, it's similar to the Kirk Hammet model and more or less and ESP M-model. The only thing I with it had would be a reverse headstock, but that doesnt't really matter. // 9

LTD JH-200 Reviewed by: dethshred902, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: C$ 424

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Features: Mine is the newer version of this Guitar(2007), it comes with a cool Hanneman Dagger inlays and a Kagler-X Trem. It has a 3-way pick up selector and a volume and tone knob. It is a Strat copy body style, 24 jumbo frets and a bolt-on neck. It has a Basswood body and a Rosewood Fretboard. The EMG HZ pickups in it also does a great job. Also, when I bought this guitar it comes with the Gig bag and the strap. // 9

Sound: I mailnly thrash to death metal genre and this axe suits best for my playing. Also, you can bag and play around with your kahler. This guitar is totally great for playing any Slayer song(A must for any Slayer fan). It also has a clean rich tone(If your not into Metal stuff), although you'll never play this one with a clean tone. I'm running this axe to my Vox AD15VT XL with a EHX Metal Muff and a Dunlop Classic Wah. You can play a lot like Slayer! And if your into shredding and stuff. This is your axe! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Really cool finish. The Guitar setup was really great and the Action, Perfect for shredding. The pickups did really a great job, it has also a great sustain. The only problem I had I think is the pickup selector, because it's positioned too far from your picking hand and making you kinda difficult to change pickups. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although, I'm still looking for a Band right now, I'll definitely play this guitar live/gig. I think this guitar will long last and strap buttons? Solid! I'll really depend on this guitar, Although you can't play alone with this thing but I think this guitar can do solo. The finish is enough for it to last with lots of abuse and guitar playing just take care of it. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said a while ago, this guitar is perfect for any Slayer song and pefect for any thrash and death metal song. I've been playing for 3 years right now and this is my first gear. I never thought of buying this guitar because I really intend to buy an Ibanez RG or the Epiphone Prophecy guitars. But, the shop was close the time that I'm going to buy a guitar so I'm force to go to the other shop and found this guitar. For being a Salyer fan this made me like to buy this guitar. If this was stole or lost, I think I'm going to buy it again but I'm getting the JH-600 model. I love this guitar because I'm a Slayer fan. My fav feature is the inlays, it's just to cool to explain. I've compare this guitar with other because I think guitar has its ups and downs, I'm not saying this is the greatest but also not the crappiest guitar. All I'm saying is just buy this guitar, you'll never gonna be disappointed! // 10

LTD JH-200 Reviewed by: RhysJacobs2113, on september 09, 2013

Purchased from: Paul Bothners Music

Features: This is one of the earlier model JH-200's, thus it lacks the tremolo arm of the later models. It does however possess a Kahler X-Trem locking system which, with a proper setup handles drop tunings very well. The guitar itself is a 24 fret affair, maple neck and rosewood fretboard with a 25.5" scale length. The Extra thin neck contour ensures ease of playing, especially in the higher registers (for all you shredders out there). The neck is bolt-on and the body is a solid top Supertrat made of basswood (with a finished black top). The pickups are standard ESP made EMG pickups (ESP LH-301 p.u.). It has three-way switch as well as master volume and tone knobs. // 9

Sound: When I bought this guitar, my primary genres were metal and the harder rocks, death and thrash specifically and this guitar handles both styles well. That is not to say it can't be applied to other styles however. When I rolled back the bass and turned up the mids, I was surprised at the twangy attack of the neck pickup. Using the middle pick on clean I found a very bright, almost funk like tone. The bridge pickup delivers a bassy attack that makes all clean riffs sound out. With distortion, the guitar shines. The neck pickup is made for high octane solos, retaining clarity while still screaming at lower volumes. The middle pickup is great for mildly distorted full chords. The bridge pickup executes all riffs with devilish cool. Very bass heavy, so be weary at higher volume levels not to get muddled in the mix. I play through a Laney LX10 with a Boss ST-2 distortion and it works well with my practice configuration. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I acquired the guitar, it had rusted strings from years of not being used. I quickly replaced the strings and had them set to my preference at the time (.11 gauge strings tuned to drop C). The knobs are very smooth even after 2 years if abusive playing (I tend to swing and destroy most of my guitars). The bridge was slightly raised, but a few minutes with my allen keys and it was sorted. The finish was flawless, only having two chips from a gig where I basically bashed it against an amp. The action wasn't great, but again, all it took was a few minutes setup by myself. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As mentioned above, I have a bad habit of trying ot wreck guitars. As such, I tedn to purchase guitars that can handle my brand of abuse. Two years later, this guitar has taken bodies, amps, other guitars and a knee and it's still working well. The hardware on the input has some slight issues with certain cables, but that's all down to me and my playign style. The strap buttons handle well, strap locks make them even more reliable. If I was forced to, gun to my head, I'd use this without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: For my current styles (which is mostly progressive rock, metal, funk and blues) this guitar handles well. For the two years I've had it, it's served me well. I grew to love the hard body finish, it's tough appearance and the image it conjured of Jeff Hanneman shredding on stage. I wish I had acquired a model with a tremolo arm and with a pair of strap locks, but live and let live I guess. If this were stolen, I'd be quite irate as it handles most styles well. This guitar is made for metal though and excels at it. If you're a jazz, pop or reggae player, I'd look elsewhere for a guitar. Otherwise, reliable, string and powerful. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600 FR Gus G Signature 7 Electric Guitars 09/11/2014