LTD KH-2 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 06/23/2014 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD KH-2
Features EMG-81 humbuckers and rosewood fingerboard. Includes free ESP Hardshell case.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Features: 9.8
 9.3
 9.6
 8.9
reviews (7) pictures (1) 25 comments vote for this gear:
LTD KH-2 Reviewed by: gabaj, on november 15, 2012

Sound: The sound of this guitar is out of this world. I usually play heavy stuff, but not necessarily metal. The sound of this guitar is virtually perfect to me and I don't process the tone much. Infact the only effects I ever use with this guitar are the WH-1, Deal, Reverb, Chorus and Wah. The rest of the processing is done my the amp (Laney TFX300) itself. The distortion on this guitar is to die for. It has a massive ammount of bite to it and it really lets you cut through the mix of sounds during live performances. The EMG '81s are usually labelled as very sterile and bright pickups. I usually fully agree with this however, with this guitar I found that the EMGs are actually full don't sound sterile at all. They also weren't as bright as I had expected. The clean on this guitar isn't really anything too special. However, with the selector Switch in the middle position and after mixing (using the two volume knobs) both pickups together, you'll get an excellent clean sound. Unfortunately, I'll have to admit that you would be better off passive pickups if you plan on playing a song that requires a lot of clean sounds. However, if cleans are not that vital, this guitar should do the trick just the same. So as I rating I'll have to give it a 4 because of the lack of cleans. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The world flawless doesn't even get close to describing how this guitar came out of the factory. The guitar came perfectly set-up from the factory and it was even in tune. I did however tinker around with the pickup height a little bit though because it didn't really fit my personal preference. As expected with guitars coming out of the ESP Custom Shop, everything on this guitar was perfect. The skull and crossbone inlays were perfectly fit and defined (even the two tiny inlays at the 24th fret are as well defined as the rest). The frets were beautifully filesd and crowned, the nut is perfectly aligned, the bridge sits perfectly flush with the body, the bridge route is perfect, the wiring is pretty neat and very well sheilded. The tuning heads are solid, even though they are pretty useless on a guitar with a locking nut. The action on this guitar is also perfect. The string height along the neck barely varies (this is due to the Original Floyd Rose). The guitar feels like your favourite pair of jeans. Unlike most guitars that tend to need some time to "loosen up" this guitar was already loosened up. However, bending on this guitar is a bit tough on the higher frets since the Floyd Rose springs are still pretty tight and hard (I've only had it for a week, and I've barely played it for an hour). Well, if I had to really think of a flaw or two, I'd have to say that the only flaws I found were these: a screw on the selector Switch was loose (I've tightened it up, and it hasn't gone loose since); and the selector Switch is a bit hard to move, but that's all. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar doesn't really fit my band's style. However, I've always had a fixation for having guitars and amps that dish out massive ammounts of distortion and lead tones, so I couldn't pass on a guitar like this. If this guitar were stolen, I wouldn't event think of getting another one though as the wait for it was too long (as is with all ESPs). Or else I would just buy one off e-bay. Yes, if this guitar was stolen or lost I'd probably buy another one off eBay. My favourite feature it the neck of this guitar, the shape is very comfortable and the all the frets are wide enough to accomodate most your fingers. The alder body is also one of the reasons I got this guitar. The only thing I don't really like is the fact that its Kirk's signature model. I would have preferred it if it was simply a custom guitar that wasn't associate it to Kirk as I don't really want to be labelled as a fan-boy. However, this guitar did have all the specs I wanted so I figured I might just as well buy it. // 10

LTD KH-2 Reviewed by: sheppo, on november 15, 2012

Features: The KH2 consists of a bolt-on construction; 25.5" scale; alder body; maple neck; rosewood fingerboard; skull & bones inlays; EMG 81 active pickups; 2 volume & 1 tone control with 3-way slotted Switch; black hardware; Original Floyd Rose bridge; 24 XJ frets and has a black finish. // 10

Sound: The active '81s make this machine roar and I could'nt think of better pickups for a live gig. This guitar is perfect for metal it squeals and is right up there for any metal fan especially Metallica fans. The amp I would suggest is anything 100 watts and up cause the actives don't react well to an amp thats turned down. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish has a maple neck; rosewood fingerboard; skull & bones inlays; EMG 81 active pickups; 2 volume & 1 tone control with 3-way slotted Switch; 24 XJ frets. Everything on this guitar is perfectly positioned with no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You could thrash this thing all day and night and it would sound just as good as the day before. It's best to get somne strap locks as any guitar player would know the strap never stays where you want it to. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera for about three and a half years and this beast has never let me down. My favourite feature has to be the skull and bones inlays plus the Kirk Hammett signature on the headstock. If this guitar was lost or stollen I think I would break down since I couldn't afford this ever again. The last thing I have to say is if you want a guitar as good as this save up, even if you want a guitar now its worth the time and effort and you won't be dissapointed. // 10

LTD KH-2 Reviewed by: P-Roach, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Collection

Features: This ESP is the original electric guitar for Metallica in St. Anger. It has 24 frets with jumbo frets. Its bridge consists of a Floyd Rose style and it is a locking configuration. It hasactive pick-ups with batteries inside for more power and better sound. The controls given is the Volume, Bass Volume and Treble Volume I think. the make of the pickups are the EMG. There is only two of these pickups. There is a velvet hard case with the elctric guitar. It is an excellent for guitarist with tons of expreience. // 10

Sound: This guitar is usually to the hard edged metal music because it is Metallica's official guitar. I use a Kustom Dual 35DFX which has quite a number of cool sounds along with it that can be selected from a variety of sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was excellently built in the factory to perfection. The pickups are supberbly fitted and everything was so well done and worth it for its price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is excellent for live playing except that you need a more larger and powerful amp. The hardware can really withstand anything and sounds better the more longer you play it. The strap buttons are solid to have a strap around you and not fall. You can depend on it without any backup. It can last for a very long time and looks eye-catching in the crowd. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock songs and metal songs but not blues at all. I have been playing for two years. I also own a Yamaha ERG121 and a stacked amplifier. I did not want to ask any questions before buying the product because it is so good when you play it and look at it and you would be just awed. If it was stolen I would buy it again it would be worth it. I love to play with it and the fact when the strings snap it does not fly at your hand making a deep cut into your skin. It just comes loose when its done with. I hate nothing about it really. My favourite feature is the shape, reliability and the sound cause it is real good. I compared it with the Signature Papa Roach's guitar and the Alien Ant Farm Signature guitar and I found this the best to use. I chose this for its power and comfortability. I am happy enough with the guitar so that I couldn't wish for any better. // 10

LTD KH-2 Reviewed by: Zenkatsu, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: EBAY

Features: This demon is loaded with every feature I could possibly hope to want from a guitar. 24 extra jumbo frets. Hit those high-note solo's with comfort and ease. Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. Locking nut makes sure your tuned and ready to perform. The body is made of alder which is surprisingly strong. I've accidently smacked my mic stand with it and it didn't even scratch. The Skull and Cross-Bone inlays are gorgeous and and set in perfectly. EMG 81 active pickups. Original Floyd Rose bridge and Gotoh tuners. // 10

Sound: When is first hooked this up to my full stack Marshall and started playing Master Of Puppets, the words going through my head were: Kirk. Hammet. The sound is amazing. The drawback is it will sound awkward on some practice amps because the amp can't take the power quite well. The EMG 81's make it sound perfect for any metal, rock, nu-metal, death metal, or anything that needs a heavier tone. If you want to use this on a clean tone I highly recommend a Line 6 or Marshall. I get great clean on those but on my friends Crate and on my uncles Fender it gets brite. But then again, most people don't buys this guitar intending to play Garth Brooks. It's good for Jazz too if you get some cool effects. it's the best sounding Guitar I've ever played, I recommend this over and Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, etc. Even over any other ESP is your going for metal sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got it the Guitar was immaculate. Perfect in every detail. Flawless in every respect. If your going to pay 1900 dollars for a guitar you shouldn't expect any less. It comes fully playable. Even in tune! The inlays are aligned with amazing Precision and the pickups were exactly the right height. The action is perfect. It's easy to play but has enough resistance for all the little tricks. Magnifique! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The alder body is really strong I've done two concerts and it's was perfect. I recommend sure-lock straps. They lock on the guitar to insure it doesn't fall. I thought the switch was a little hard to use on stage but if your aware of it being hard to move, it's no big deal. Like Kirk Hammett said, his guitars are like fine wine the age to perfection over time. This thing will last and last getting better and better. // 10

Overall Impression: This was my dream guitar and still remains my pride and joy. I clean it after every time I play it. I keep it in it's case with a dehumidifier. If it was stolen, I would cry. Then go get another one. After playing for 8 years this is the ultimate to me. For metal fans like me this Guitar has no equal. The powerful. The glorious. The ESP KH-2. // 10

LTD KH-2 Reviewed by: ew94, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This guitar was made in 2007. A Standard LTD body and reverse headstock with an extra thin neck, makes for very easy playing. Neck-thru-body construction and 24 XJ frets makes it more confortable to play and shred in. Body wood is american alder and neck wood is solid maple, with a rosewood fingerboard. It has a distressed black finish with some stickers that Kirk put on the original one. The bridge is an original Floyd Rose, great for doing some of the sounds that Kirk makes on the albums. The pickups are active EMG 81 and 60, in the bridge and neck position. Also you get two volume pots for each pickup and a master tone pot. The nut is a Floyd Rose locking nut, then you have Standard Gotoh tuners. Black hardware everywhere. Comes with a hard-shell case. // 10

Sound: My main music style is Metallica. So this is perfect for me. I play this through my crappy Peavey in practice, but at gigs, I blast it out in my Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt. Makes a great clean tone and a super crunchy hard distortion. Also perfect to make divebombs and whammy bar noises. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have to hand it to the factory, they made a great guitar. The pickups are adjusted to the perfect height and the bridge is perfectly routed. The only problem was that the pick up selector gave a little buzz when I Switch between pickups, but fixed it by taking it to my local music store. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I played with this guitar during my bands little "tour" around the district, and it survived everything I threw at it (literally! ). The bridge is very secure and nut is also secure. Even though it's very good and stable, I'll say that I'll take a backup just in case, cause the strings this guitar came with weren't coated and started to rust after the first hours of the first gig, and I didn't have a backup. So we cancelled the rest of that show. For the strap buttons, I gave it my "signature" test. If you want to do it, here is how it goes: Hold the guitar up to you face, then just let go. NOTE: you need a VERY hard strap. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is overall the best I have ever owned. Great feel, great finish, great tone, great neck contour and I could go on and on and on and on. Due to the price, I think I won't be able to get this guitar again if it was lost or stolen. Since I saved for about 2 YEARS just to get the money to get it. // 10

LTD KH-2 Reviewed by: astarothincub, on june 23, 2014

Purchased from: Beatles Centre

Features: My KH-2 is not LTD, it is ESP. Made in China (don't know the year). The guitar comes with glossing black finish also it has 24 jumbo frets, skull-inlays, thin neck (neck contour is very smooth), Floyd Rose bridge, locking nut, three-way pick selector, two tone control and one master volume knob; a set of EMG 60/81 pick-ups which I think is not active in my guitar because I see no battery compartment in the back. So for sure it is passive, something like EMG HZ. But whatever it does sound bas-a-s. // 9

Sound: This guitar is a beast. I play metal mostly (death/progressive/thrash) but also some blues/neo-classical/hard rock/grunge/jazz type stuff and it suits me in most cases but I use my Fender Stratocaster for playing blues etc. I can get every sound from it from classic Guns N' Roses to Slayer to Gojira. Clean, twang, punk to dirty real dirty. My signal chain goes to Zoom G1 Next and then to Yamaha TG-25; I also use Line 6 Spider IV 30. As an amateur bedroom guitarist, it really fits the way I play. The guitar is never noisy but earlier when I get it along with poor cables, it gave me buzz and hum while the guitar is not playing but soon when I replaced it with a better one - the problem wiped out. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, when I decided to buy this satan; the first thing inspired me was the finish and the skull-inlays which give it a brutal look. The black finish is so fascinating No doubt one of the finest ESP ever made. The main con was the action; the tone knob was erasing the sound due to loose controls which I later get it fixed along with adjusting the truss inside, rather everything was perfect. The neck contour finish till the neck is so smooth. The classic golden ESP logo on the headstock looks great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yus, for sure I can depend upon it, though I have never gigged with it but still I can trust on this. Playing this for the last four months and I can surely say it will never bend me down. The durability (finish, sound, everything blah blah blah!) depends upon the handling and care, just don't abuse it and it will stay with you till your death. I clean it after each play and also cleans the fretboard once in two-months with lemon oil (yes, I do love to take care this baby). Strap buttons are solid and it gives a good sustain. // 8

Overall Impression: I had three choices at the time of buying this guitar: Ibanez GIO, Jackson Warrior and Epiphone Les Paul Standard and now I can say, it was one of my finest purchase ever. Sounds epic, looks brutal, suits my metal-head playing style so what I shall need any more? I am also willing to buy ESP M-10 (passion for guitars - reason). If anything bad happen to this, I will probably never unwind myself. It is like a companion for me now. Every time I play, it puts smile on my face. Best for shredding and solo type stuff. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600 FR Gus G Signature 7 Electric Guitars 09/11/2014