LTD M-15 Review

Features: 9.5
 6.9
reviews (2) pictures (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
LTD M-15 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 15, 2012

Features: This for the ESP LTD M-15, which I just bought yesterday, at Guitar Center for only $149.99. It's made in China and has a Basswood body with a Maple neck and a Rosewood frteboard with ESP Tuners and a Tune-O-matice Bridge with a string thru body. There is one Volume and Tone along with a 3 way pickup switch with a ESP LS 100 Rail single coil in the neck position and a ESP LH 100 Humbucker in the Bridge position. There is also a marker at the 12th fret with the model name of the guitar, which I think is pretty classy. It comes in 2 finishes, Black and White. Mine is the Black finish and I believe was made in 2010. // 10

Sound: A lot of people, I assume mostly teens and tone snobs, tend to knock the stock ESP pups which are stock on the LTD models. I personally think that the combination of the LH-100 and LS-100 which are on this guitar, sound absolutely great. I can get a wide variety of sounds ranging from Metal (of course!), to Blues and country. I am also using a Zoom G1N effects processor with this, thru my ever so trusty USA made, Crate GX-65 combo, and I have to say, this is one great sounding guitar for the price. I am blown away by it and am now a confirmed, 52 year old, ESP fanatic. Hell, I think I'm going to see about getting a EC-50 to add to my collection now. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Here's where I wasn't too happy. When I went to GC to buy this, I originally wanted one in the white finish, but all of them had fret edges sticking out along the side of the neck, so with these guitars, it's either hit or miss. The Chinese just assemble these and shove them right in the box without doing a setup of any kind. The action on mine was very high, so right away, I knew I had my work cut out for me. When I got home, it took me around 90 minutes to give this guitar the setup that it deserved, and once I did that, it was like having a totally new instrument. The thing with lower priced guitars like this is that, a lot of players tend to say that they're shit and the reason behind that is, because when they bet them, they don't take the time to have a setup done on them. I would say around 65-70% of the younger guys out there probably don't even know gow to do a setup and that's a shame because if they did, they would save themselves a lot of money and grief. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Once setup properly and providing you take good care of it, I see no reason why this guitar should not last you a lifetime. I could definately use this at a gig without a backup. Everything seems solid on it and my only gripe, is the Black finish which smudges after every use, but nothing a polish cloth can't handle. // 10

Overall Impression: If you do plan on buying one of these, don't do mail order. Rather, go to either Guitar Center or your nearest ESP dealer and make sure that you get one without fret edges sticking out. That is the only problem with these that I could find. Like I said earlier, these are either hit or miss. If you do find a good one, make sure you have a setup done. Once you do, you will not regret it. I love this guitar and for $149.99 (at Guitar Center only, $199.99 everywhere else,) it's one hell of a bargain! // 10

LTD M-15 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 15, 2012

Features: This is my 2nd review for this guitar. I've had this for about a month now and thought I would give another one, now that I've had time to get used to this guitar. Mine is a 2010 model which was made in China and has a Basswood body, with a Maple nack and a Rosewood Fretboard w/ 22 frets and stock ESP Tuners. The pickups are a Twinblade ESP LS-100 in the neck position and a ESP LH-100 Humbucker in the Bridge position w/ a Volume & Tone knob along with a 3 way pup Switch w/ a tune-o-matic Bridge with string through the body. It comes in 2 finishes, Black and Artic White. Mine is the Black finish. // 9

Sound: At first, I was getting a lot of hum and muddiness from the stock pups, but that was only because I was using the 3rd position of the 3 way pup switch. Since I started using the middle position, I don't have anymore hum, but I do have a deeper, yet cleaner tone, which suits me, because in my band I play a lot of Classic Rock & Blues and this guitar seems to suit it just right. The lead position on this guitar does produce a lot of sustain for lead solos when needed, but isn't reccomended for rhythmn playing IMO. I'm playing this through my 1997 USA made, Crate GX-65 combo and it sounds f--king great through this amp, and at times, I'll use my Zoom G1N effects processor with it as well. This guitar does work well with pedals. You just have to adjust the pickup heights just right in order to find that sweet spot, but when you do, it's worth it! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This where I had some trouble. 2 days after I bought it, I had to bring it back and get another one because there were some dead frets on it. When I got my replacement, I went to go and do a string change, only to discover that the nut wasn't even glued on, so I ended up having to Super Glue it on the neck. After I did that, I noticed there were some fret edges sticking out which I ended up filing down, along with having to do a full setup and intonation check and also adjusting the pup height as well. I do realize that this isn't a $1,000.00 Guitar, but that isn't no excuse to have shoddy workmanship on a instrument with the ESP name on it, as far as I'm concerned. I did contact ESP about this and they said they would look into it. There is no excuse for this. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Once I did a full setup and took care of all the problems I had mentioned in the last column, it was like I had just gotten a totally new guitar, because now, this one is a keeper. I have already used this at a couple of gigs with my band without a backup and had no problems whatsoever! // 9

Overall Impression: I do Classic Rock, 80's Metal, and Blues, and this baby fits right in with what I play with my band "Shock Therapy!". This one's a keeper and as far as replacing it, I don't know. Maybe I would upgrade to a M-50 if anything ever happened to this one. I'm not sure. The only thing I wish that it had, were more colors to choose from. I would've liked to seen this in a Sunburst. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD F-50 8.3 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014