LTD M-300FM Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 10/04/2013 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD M-300FM
If you play metal and you're looking for something in this price range this is it man. I've only been playing for 2 years but this is the best guitar i've run across.
 Features: 8.5
 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
reviews (2) pictures (2) 21 comments vote for this gear:
LTD M-300FM Reviewed by: M3lodeath, on november 15, 2012

Features: Made in 2010 in China, with 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has a solid flat strat-like mahogany body with a flamed maple top. The body also has lots of cutaway edges that help keep your arm relaxed and easy access to all the frets. Its neck is a neck-through-body which is one of my favorite features. It has a beautiful black cherry finish. It comes with a Floyd Rose Special Bridge and active dual EMG 81 pickups. Overall its everything a metal guitars needs. // 10

Sound: I play metal and obviously it meets the cause. I use it with my Bugera 6262 and I can produce a variety of tones with it from clean to rock to full out death metal. The Emgs are pretty good I wouldn't say they are perfect but they are very versatile. My own complain is why did they put 2 EMG 81's? Why not a 60 or 85 in the neck, but I rarely use the neck pickup anyway so that's not much problem. Because of the neck-through-body the thing has tons of sustain and tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar from the factory honestly wasn't that great the pickups and wood were ok, but the action and Floyd Rose weren't set up properly. After researching on how to do it on the web I correctly set it up and then that was when it began to shine. I got the action just to the right spot and I could shred endlessly on it for days without applying hardly any pressure. Basically after buying it you'll have to take some time to familiarize yourself with the Floyd Rose system if you haven't already and then you'll be set. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar so far has lasted my abuse for about 6 months and no damage. I occasionally bum it into something, but it hasn't seem to chip the paint or leave any scratches. One problem was the pickup selector fell off and wouldn't fit back on and it wasn't that big of a deal. I wouldn't gig without a backup ( that would be just plain stupid) but I can rely on it staying strong for years to come. // 9

Overall Impression: If you play metal and you're looking for something in this price range this is it man. I've only been playing for 2 years but this is the best guitar I've run across. If it were stolen I would definitely buy it again. I love the neck-through-body, finish, and emgs. The only thing that gets on my nerves is re-tuning and adjusting the Floyd Rose. There is NO guitar in this price range that have a neck-through-body, along with this many features. The only two things I would change is give it a 85 neck instead of a 2nd neck pickup, and give it an ebony fretboard. // 9

LTD M-300FM Reviewed by: cherrera156, on october 04, 2013

Purchased from: Audiomusica

Features: My guitar was made in Indonesia in 2010, it has rosewood fingerboard with some thunder-like inlays, white binding on the maple neck, reversed headstock, mahogany body, flamed maple top, superstrat body, this time, the famous M or Mirage body. An odd combination of two EMG 81's, and a Floyd Rose Special bridge, with ESP branded tuners. And the standard 3-way selector for two humbuckers, volume and tone. It only included a pair of allen keys. As I bought it at a discount, I didn't expect something else. // 7

Sound: Obviously oriented at metal, this guitar suits me, but the pair of 81's were intriguing, but I liked how sounded the one at the neck. Brighter and hotter than the classic 85, and can be useful if you are looking for this kind of tone, but it seriously limits this guitar versatility, but I have other guitars for hard rock tones, for example. I'm using it with a Zoom G3X and a Laney LX65R with a 12" Celestion speaker, enough for now, as currently I'm not in a band and I'm dedicated to polish my skills. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was medium, but I had to adjust the neck and the bridge. The original strings were horrible, and I suspect they were replaced by used ones before the sale. Besides, the only noticiable flaw was at the neck binding, with traces of sloppy cutting (and not polished borders), but the fretwork looks good. The hardware feels solid (except the cheap locking 3-way pickup selector) and I liked its nickel color. I think LTDs at this price range tend to be better finished than Ibanez, for example. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It think this guitar can last a long time, but the Floyd Rose Special needs attention, and I have my doubts about its durability under heavy use. AFAIK, this bridge is not suitable for professionals, but I think it can be used live if you are not one. (Un)Fortunately, is not my case (I use it only in a pair of solos), but still I have to check it before summer and winter, and the Floyd Rose Key is a must if you have to intonate this kind of guitars. Besides that, I hope the bridge doesn't get discoloured with the extended palm mute I do. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 20 years, and finally I can afford some decent guitars for mostly heavy and thrash metal and a bit of hard rock. As I said, I bought this guitar at a discount, so I took the chance at owning my first LTD guitar, after several tests at the store. So far, I'm pleased with the brand's price, fit and finish, and shortly after I bought others, ending with two real ESPs. Maybe this is the logical step for the company, because the LTDs don't disappoint, but left you wanting more. A perfect GAS inducing strategy? // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD F-50 8.3 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014