LTD M-400 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD M-400
The clean sound is amazing, the sound is good enough to get a replica sound of let's say Welcome Home's intro with the right settings, effects etc. Although the clean sound tends to be more "bass"-ish, you need to turn up the treble more. The sound is probably the best thing about this guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 9.3
 9.5
reviews (3) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
LTD M-400 Reviewed by: ironicturtle23, on november 15, 2012

Features: Well I bought this guitar about a year ago, I'm assuming its made in 2009 in Indonesia. Body of it is a superstrat style solid top made of Alder with black finish, and neck is a 3-piece maple, made with set-thru method. It has rosewood fingerboard with pearloid arrowheads with model name at 12th fret. It has xtra thin-u profile neck with 24 frets. It has 2 active EMG-81 pickups, licensed Floyd Rose, mini-Grover tuners, 3 way selector with 1 master volume knob and 1 master tone knob. I'm giving it 8 because it has licensed Floyd Rose, wish it had 100 series at least lol. // 8

Sound: Well I play trash metal mostly, and the EMG-81 pickups are really great for it. It doesn't really pick up lots of sound, in fact it has less buzz than my previous guitar. I'm using a solid state 15 watt amp at the moment, it sounds pretty good with distortion. Clean sound of the guitar amazed me tho, I thought it would sound bad because of 81 pickup in neck position. Cleans are good but not brilliant. Well I can't really say something about variety of sound you can get from this guitar, because I believe it is more related to your amp and effects setup.But I can say it is more suitable for hard-rock/metal. I bought it because I play metal, and it sounds good so I give it 9. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well it had no flaws when I bought it. Music store guy made its 1st tuning there.I didn't have to adjust the height of pickups when I got home. It only had loose volume knob, everything else was in good condition.Only bad thing about it is that it keeps fingerprints on its body like that guy says in his review. I'm giving it 10 because it was in good condition when I bought it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't go on gigs because I don't have much time, tho I believe it will stand live playing easily. I still wouldn't advice going on a gig without backup guitar lol. Well the hardware seems to last, and strap buttons are solid. Straps never got out of their place yet, but I'd suggest getting locking-strap buttons if you are planning to play live. The finish seems like it will last long, I don't think it would wear off after you play it for few years. I'm giving it 7 because Floyd Rose bridge and everything related to it (tuning, changing strings etc) is a b**ch to do. // 7

Overall Impression: Well I tried to be objective as much as I could, but if I didn't like the guitar I wouldn't have bought it in the first place no? It's the only guitar I own at the moment, I sold my older one because well I don't like stuff that I don't need to fill up a little space I have in my home. I've been playing with it for a year or something now. If it was stolen I wouldn't buy it again, because I like trying out different guitars. Has nothing to do with quality etc of this guitar. Well I love its sound, comfortable higher-fret access and neck profile of it. I only hate its bridge, wish it was at least 1000 series. I didn't really compare it with other guitars, only some other LTD's. I'm giving it 8 because its a nice guitar for its price-range. // 8

LTD M-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: www.alpha-music.com

Features: I ordered it from USA because here the price was doubled. The features are: Finish: Black Body Style: "Superstrat" Body: Alder Neck: Maple Fretboard: Rosewood with white binding Inlays: Arrowheads Bridge: Floyd Rose Licensed Tuners: Grover Frets: 24 Extra Jumbo/XJ Frets Pickups: 2 Active EMG 81 Electronics: Vol / Tone / 3-Way Switch // 9

Sound: OK lately I've been only using my Pocket POD rather than my amplifier as I record directly on my PC. Mostly I play metal and hard rock and some emo acoustic songs to impress girls... hopefully. Anyways, all I can say about the distortion/overdrive sound of this guitar is a promise, no matter what. The Pocket POD is a very small multi-effect thing, very minimal and yet I get crazy dist. sound from the guitar, especially on pedal notes. The clean sound amazed me as well, the sound is good enough to get a replica sound of let's say Welcome Home's intro with the right settings, effects etc. Although the clean sound tends to be more "bass"-ish, you need to turn up the treble more. The sound is probably the best thing about this guitar in my opinion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: OK since I ordered it from USA, I wouldn't mind the set-up on the guitar but when I got it, it wasn't tuned, the pickups were adjusted too high, the bridge PU was slightly touching E and A strings. The trem system is Floyd Rose (licensed). The action was pretty low, which was fine for me. My fingers didn't get jammed at some solo licks as they used on my other cheap guitar. After I tuned it successfully (which took me hours and hours), there was still a problem. The strings were buzzing, especially the fat strings, then I had to retune and everything from scratch, now it's in perfect shape and God forbid the guitar still won't go out of tune and I've been using the trembar up and down constantly. Yes still in tune... But I have to say, setting up this guitar was a pain in the ass and I had to adjust the action, pickups and the tuning of course. Big minus for this one... All I can think of the reason is because it came from across another continent (USA to Europe) so maybe that is why the guitar was detuned and stuff. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Until now, the guitar has not betrayed me in any way. It really depends on how you treat this guitar, you must set it up perfectly and then rock out. I use it for band rehearsal and I wouldn't need a backup guitar on a gig. The strap buttons are wayyy nice, once you strap the belt, it's pretty hard for it to come off (my previous guitar used to). The finish is black (there is a white one too) and pretty shining, although it gets dirty like hell, in a matter of second. You can see your finger things on the reflection but personally I don't mind that. If you wanna keep the guitar clean, good luck then. // 9

Overall Impression: Let's see... I play mostly metal, hard rock and anything that helps me increase my guitar skills in those genres. Been playing for 3 years now, I have an acoustic and another crappy guitar which I bought for 100$. If anyone buys this incredible guitar, please be aware that tuning/stringing/adjusting a guitar with FR tremsystem and locking nuts is a pain in the ass. I would buy another one if mine was stolen or lost in a matter of a second. The machinehead looks very nice to me, it's inverted rather than a right-handed machinehead guitar. The only thing I hate about it is the tuning which takes a lot of time if you play in various drops. The only thing I wish this guitar had was a original FR. That's all. So my conclusion is, the price is pretty compared to it's quality, so it's way worth it. I am loving it and have no regrets. Alright peace. // 10

LTD M-400 Reviewed by: MidniteHaze, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Tampa Guitar School

Features: Construction / Scale: Set Neck / 25.5in Body: Alder Neck / Fretboard: 3-3-pc. Maple / Rosewood Inlays: Pearloid Arrowhead with model name at 12th fret Hardware: Black+Earvana compensated nut & Grovers tuners Bridge: Floyd Rose Binding: White (neck / headstock) Frets: 24 XJ Pickups: EMG-81 Active set Electronics: Volume, Tone, 3-way toggle Standard Colors: Black (BLK) Get your ESP M-400 today! // 10

Sound: This guitar with the dual EMG 81's are great for crunching metal. It does pickup a lot sound so you might want to turn your distortion down. I'm only using a 10 watt amp, but I've also played it with a Line 6 VI 75 watt and it sounds amazing. I play mostly thrash metal, so the guitar is definitely awesome for my playing style. Mine came with an Original Floyd Rose, so restringing is a b*tch to do. It can definitely handle the wildest of whammy solos (I play Slayer). You will have to retune once a week (but minimal). Like I said, the EMGs pick up a lot of noise so i just give it a little more deep sound while reducing the gain. Theres little or no fret buzzing, so you wont get any interference. Overall: The sound is clean & loud. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I had a guy at the place I bought it from set it up before I came in, but there was nothing wrong with it. The pickups were fine. The neck pickup was a bit too high, so I adjusted it in about 30 seconds. The bridge was a bit loose, but it was easily fixable. The guitar had no flaws, no scratches(other than me accidently hitting it on the counter at the store about 5 minuets after buying it :( ). This finish looks amazing, but every time you touch it, it gets 500 fingerprints on it.The knobs were, and still are a bit loose. But it makes them easy to turn. The locking nuts kinda get stripped easily, so I would suggest getting it tuned and locked only about once a month. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although I have not played this live, it will definitely stand playing live. The hardware is really strong, and it will take a lot to ruin it. (Other than the fingerprints) It should stay in mint condition for a while. My strap is kind of worn, but I'm surprised the strap buttons are still able to hold. I would definitely use this guitars on every gig, but seeing as this guitar has a Floyd Rose, and I can't change the strings in 5 minuets, I will definitely need a backup. I do clean the guitar once a week for the fingerprints. Thats the only thing that i hate. It overall looks amazing. Everytime I see it just sitting there, I play it. // 10

Overall Impression: I have only been playing for a year and a half, so this guitar is perfect. I also have a Dean Vendetta, it was very light and had a matted finish, so it wasn't that pretty. I still need to upgrade my amp, but thats later in the future. I play mostly thrash metal so this guitar is perfect. I love the cut aways at the elbow and waist. The really defining factor I like is the white binding on the neck and headstock. I'm planning on making the same guitar with a white binding on the body. I also love the reverse headstock, it matches the right handed body. I just wish it had a 1000 series FR, I hate tunning it :P. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD EX-50 7.9 Electric Guitars 04/18/2014