LTD M-50 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD M-50
The M-50 offers 2 humbucking pickups, poplar body, tremolo bridge, a reversed headstock and an incredibly fast maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets. All at a price that everyone can enjoy.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.1
 Features: 8.2
 8.6
 8.8
 8.3
reviews (12) pictures (2) 36 comments vote for this gear:
LTD M-50 Reviewed by: HIM%(^, on november 15, 2012

Features: For years ESP has been researching better methods of guitar building to bring the finest quality, low-priced guitar on the market. They have succeeded and the result is the M50. The M50 offers two humbucking pickups, poplar body, a reversed headstock and an incredibly fast maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard & 22 XJ frets for a price that all can enjoy. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal, Metallica, Pantera. But I do play some shred, Vai, Sach, Petrucci. And some bluesy stuff too. It handels it all pretty decently. It doesn't have any fancy passive pickups or emgs so the sound isn't amazing but for a cheap guitar, it sounds pretty damn good. I run it through a really shitty (to me) Marshal 30DFX. So it doesn't have a full sound. It's a little hollow. No matter what pedals you put on it. But it is the amp, not the gutiar. I ran it through a Mesa Dual Rectifier at the shop where I take lessons and it sounded amazing. On the Mesa the distortion was the classic passive sound. A little dirty but little noise. The clean sounds great for a cheap guitar. My pedal rig is a DigiTech Death Metal to a Danelectro Chorus pedal which cleans up all the rediculous fuzz that the metal pedal has because I have to use the metal due to the lack of good distortion on my Marshall. Marshall sucks. Yes I said it. It does sound good when I do that though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action came perfect. This is the guitar I started playing with and it was my frist guitar. It's perfect. The neck is very skinny and much faster then most other guitars of tis price. I put some D'Addario 12's on there so I had to readjust the nut but other then that it came very well. The whammy bar is a little stiff but its nothing that some practice cant fix. The finish on mine is flat black so it keeps its color through thick and thin. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last through anything. I've dropped it numerous times. I've had it for about 2 years and the finish is still the same as when I got it. No dents, or any other major things of that such. The strap buttons are great, the strap has never came off in the 2 years I've had it. I would and have played this guitar in a live gig with out a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: For some reason I just absoultly love this guitar. It's such a great guitar to learn on and even after I've gotten other guitars, I still go back to it. I custimized an ESP, and I designend a lot of it based to that guitar. I love the neck for some reason. It fits my hands perfectly and I can play super fast on it. It handles drop tunes with the best of them. I wish it had EMGs, and a floyd rose on it, but you can't have everything. If someone stole it, I would chase them down, cut their balls off with a dull penknife and shoot them in the head. I would definatly buy this guitar again. If they made it in some other colors, I would buy multiple colors. it is the cheapest guitar that ESP makes but is beyond better then any guitar in that price range or maybe a little higher. This is an alaround great guitar. It handles everthing well and it isnt extreme. Go out and buy it. It's very cheap. // 10

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: S1dewinder, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: B&C Music, Pittston, PA

Features: This guitar was made in 2006 in Indonesia. It has 22 jumbo frets with a rosewood fingerboard. The body wood is Agathis and has a maple neck. It has a blueish grey satin finish on the body, black hardware, and a black satin finish on the front of the head. It has a body shape similar to a Strat, but the edges are rougher and there are several shape differences. It has a tele-style bridge. It has passive electronics. On the guitar, there is one volume knob, one tone knob, and a 3 way Switch. To pick up the sound, it has two stock ESP humbuckers. The tuners are non-locking standard ESP tuners. What I like about this guitar is that it is different from other guitars. While on a Stratocaster, the tuners are located pointing upwards, this guitar is the opposite. The tuners are in row facing downward. The only downside is that it only has 22 frets and has passive electronics. // 8

Sound: Soundwise, this guitar is pretty good. Although it is a lower end guitar and has stock ESP pickups, it still puts out a great sound. I use it for punk rock music, and it suits what I use it for. It has very little background noise. While the guitar is made by a company that provides for many heavy metal guitarists and bassits, this guitar has a wide variety of sound. It works well for blues, straight out rock, metal, and punk. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no complaints about the action on this guitar. It seems that this is a quality guitar that was made with care. The pickups and action are both set up to near perfection. The top and bridge are both routed correctly. As far as I can tell, this guitar has no flaws. It works well for me and hopefully will for a long time. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand live playing (as long as guitar-smashing isn't included). The hardware seems like it will last for a while, although I could see myself replacing the pickups eventually. The strap buttons are rock solid. I would definately depend on this guitar for playing gigs. // 9

Overall Impression: For the style of music that I play (punk/rock), this guitar is well suited for it. But that doesnt't mean that this is just good for punk. This guitar would be fine for metal, thrash, emo, blues, or even jazz. What I love about this guitar is it's look. It isn't just another Strat copy that you find at every single music store you go into. The body and head both have a more aggressive apperance to them. The only thing that I don't like is that it only has 22 frets. Sometimes when I do improptu guitar leads while jamming, a 23rd and 24th fret would pay off. Besides the 24 frets, I really wish this had an active EQ. While I get along fine without it, the EQ would really help to get that "all out" sound. If you are looking for a relitively cheap guitar, but still want something that will be worth it, you should consider the LTD M-50. It was well worth every dollar I spent on it. // 9

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: Lord Of Chaos, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Musique Point Com (France)

Features: The ESP LTD M-50 has a basswood body, a thin maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard with 22 XJ frets, the whole in a bolt-on construction. The "Strat" body has a satin black (or blue) finish. The bridge is Standard tremolo (but even without a Floyd Rose you can do crazy things). Hardware is chrome, the guitar has got passive ESP pickups (humbuckers, one at the bridge the other at the neck) Who already rock, but with an EMG-81 and EMG-85 configuration the sound really kills your neighbours. It has a volume and a tone knob, a 3-way toggle and ESP tuners (not locking). // 9

Sound: I mostly play metal through my little Roland Cube 20X, but the M-50 is very versatile: it can play mostly anything from blues to heaviest styles. It has a good sound, not noisy but very clear (yeah except on full gain that's obvious). I love it because you can easily play rhythm riffs and melodies without having to change completely your effects or amp settings, always having that clarity it the sound, even playing black metal or so. Still, If you can't play and you hope the noise can help you or if you want a strong low boost sound, turn the tone knob down and your playing gets really thick (best with a dirty fuzz effect). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As I got my M-50 I didn't know very much about guitars, it was my first one. Though I know now it was perfectly adjusted and I never have trouble playing: the guitar stays in tune even if you use your vibrato a lot or shred like a madman. Not one part of the hardware got oxidized in two years (very hard years for this axe). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is definitely a good guitar for indoor or Live performance and it will surely last a long time (I dropped it once on the floor and NOTHING not a scratch or break). It's perfect for gigs as I played a few times Live in a small room wih a bunch of friends listening (and kicking you in their pogos, these weird people... ). The finish will surely last a long time (and maybe a second drop on the floor, sorry but I don't want to try). // 9

Overall Impression: Finally, I would say this is the perfect guitar for beginners, especially if you're plying heavy. For lead guitarists, it won't be enough after years f practicing because you may need a Floyd Rose or 24 frets, which the M-50 doesn't feature. For me, it's perfect because I mostly play the rhythm parts with my band and for lead parts except solos it suit me perfectly too. I practice a lot with this guitar and it hasnever disappointed me. You can do so many thins with this simple guitar it would be a sin just to buy anoher one and never to use it again. If it was stolen or lost, first I'd run amok till the guy takes his Bullet (no I'm kidding, I would buy the same one again it's the second part of myself). Personally, my wish is to get an LTD Alexi-600 but not because this guitar is too bad for me (more because of the awesome features and for the style), if I can't get the other one the M-50 is still the best guitar I played on so far. There is nothing this guitar hasn't but should have. It is exactly what I wanted to have before I started playing, it still suits me now and certainly will continue to. If you don't need the very best features all included in the same guitar and want a reliable instrument you will keep for a long time (and if you don't want to buy a new axe every few years), this is a very good choice. If you like heavy music, this is the perfect choice and it should suit you for any kind of playing. // 10

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: This is a good starter guitar. It is made in Korea, with 22 frets, an alder body, a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, two ESP LTD Himbuckers, and has 1 tone knob, 1 volume knob, and a 3 way Switch. A good, basic starter guitar. // 8

Sound: This guitar doesn't suit me perfectly, but it was my first guitar and I didn't really know what I wanted. I bought this two years ago. It has a fairly versatile sound, but I myself would like a single coil or coil tap. Although this could be easily fitted, I don't have enough money to get one professionally fitted, and I am not skilled enough to fit one myself. This guitar does not, however, follow ESP's heavy metal reputation. While this guitar sounds great playing metal, it sounds equally good in a clean tone, although as I said, I would prefer single coils for a bluesy/jazzy sound. The pickups are what you'd expect from a beginner guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is minimally finished. The factory setup is ok, but the action was a little high for me, so I got it lowered and set up at my local guitar shop (for free first time). The only problem I have had with this guitar is: Jack Socket Continually Comes Loose (although this is easy for even a beginner to fix) // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have done some small gigs with this guitar. It has good solid strap buttons, but I would recommend straplocks anyway. After four years, the finish is fine (although I don't tend to sweat on stage) and, although there are a few chips in the wood, that is to be expected from a beginner, and I have not put any in it for at least two years now. // 9

Overall Impression: This was a great start to guitar for me. It feels really nice, it's easy to play, and it looks cool. However, if you play many different types of music, I would not recommend it. Buy a Squire (or even Fender MIM) Superstrat. They are a similar price, and the two single coils will increase your options to no end. I have recently brought a new guitar (A PRS Swamp Ash Special, which I have also reviewed) and while I will not be using this guitar much more, it will always be special to me. It has been resigned to my backup now, but this is a good start for players with a rock and metal based repertoire. // 8

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: Huuto.net

Features: I got my M-50 from an internet auction as used and for the low price I paid, I have to say this guitar is top quality. It feels very solid, sounds great and stays in tune. The bridge is your average Vintage Tremolo, which means changing strings is very quick and painless (compared to the FR tremolos out there), the pickups are ESP's own passive models and the body shape is a basic Strat copy. I can't speak of the included accessories, as I bought the guitar used and there was only a Gator gig bag included, which I think didn't even come with it by default. // 8

Sound: This guitar has been pretty much perfect for everything I've played. It suits metal and pop equally and the sound of the ESP passive pickups is very good. Sure, they're not DiMarzios or EMG's, but for the price they're excellent. There is also not much noise. Compared to other guitars in its price range, I can truly recommend the M-50. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I never needed to adjust the pickups or action and the overal look & feel of this guitar is pretty much perfect. It feels solid, plays well, looks great and in no way seems cheap. The neck is fast for shredding and none of the selectors or other electronics were noisy or loose in my M-50. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have no doubts the M-50 could be used for live playing as well. I'd never play without a backup, but if I did, I could depend on this guitar and I don't see it breaking or wearing off anytime soon. Also, the strap buttons are well-placed and support the guitar well when playing from standing position. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been very happy with my M-50 and as I am now replacing it with another guitar (the new one has EMG 81/85's), I'm actually getting more money for it than I paid myself. It seems the M-50's are in high demand and easy to get sold, which is always something to keep in mind when you're buying a guitar. If my M-50 was stolen or lost and if I was searching for a guitar in its price range, I'd get it again. I'd recommend it for any beginner and a player searching for a good, affordable guitar. // 9

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: Crazed Shredder, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Music store

Features: The ESP LTD M50 is a superstrat style guitar made with a basswood body, a bolt-on maple neck, and a 22 fret rosewood fingerboard. The bridge is a Vintage style tremolo. It has two passive humbucking pickups and the controls include a volume knob, a tone knob, and a 3-way pickup selector. The bridge, tuners, and pickups are all made by ESP. // 6

Sound: The guitar has a midrangey tone best suited for hard rock and metal but can get descent clean sounds with the volume turned down and both pickups on. The passive pickups give medium gain output which is great for most hard rock/metal. My only complaint is that the guitar lacks fullness when using certain sounds but this is typical of basswood. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar the action was set fine and is about the same now. Occasionally the strings will buzz a little bit but that is only when I put new strings on. This of course can be solved by adjusting the action up. So far I have only had to make very very minor adjustments to the guitars action. My guitar has a satin black finish but also comes in satin blue. I prefer gloss finishes but hey, it still looks pretty good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have not had any problems with the guitar. The finish is scratched a little bit on the bottom because I dropped it on concrete but it held up well and I was playing it fifteen minutes later. Obviously it is not going to last as long as a more expensive guitar but seems to hold up pretty well. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for players on a budget. The MH-50 might be a better choice for some people though because it has a Floyd Rose style tremolo and 24 frets. You can pay a lot more from other brands to get a guitar that is not any better than the M-50. // 8

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: idontgiveafuk, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 280

Purchased from: Russell's music

Features: My model is a matt black 2002 model I think it has a Standard block Fender style tremolo a 3 way selector Switch, one tone and one volume control, and 2 fairly high output humbucking passive pickups, Strat shaped and comfortable to play comes with really good ESP locking tuners rarely looses any tuning at all the headstock has a 6 in line tuner configuration with a pointed shape to it which I like looks good 22 frets with Dot inlays and a pretty cool "M-50" inlay on the 12th fret other than that it's a pretty Standard looking guitar. // 8

Sound: The sound is very balanced and can be used for almost any style at all. It has no unwanted hum or noise or feedback I can detect even at very high levels, the clean channel is very warm and articulate not quite as bright as a Strat but a very nice sound the pickups sound noticeably different to each other and offer a good variety of sonic possibilities the neck is warm and smooth sounding where as the bridge pick up has a brighter more articulate sound I found the best clean sound was in the middle as for gain this guitar is excellent I use it through a Line 6 spider 2 and it sounds fantastic with the gain cranked never becoming muddy or thin every note is clearly heard and it can go from shredding leads to smooth blues just by flicking the pickup selector highly recommended. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Most comfortable fretboard of ANY guitar I've played ever! theres even a contour at the neck where it bolts in place to make the higher frets simpler to reach :) everything looks neat no faults or flaws in the manufacturing kinda Standard looking instrument but well put together the trem is kinda pointless like any block trem they rarely stay in tune and though it aint too bad for a cheap guitar I decided against using it (as I already have 2 guitars with a Floyd Rose trem) and I screwed it down and I tightened the springs can't fault this guitar other than that and with a budget guitar it's as good as they get. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It will certainly take a beating I've had mine nearly 8 years and it's been through the wars gigged d hell outta it countless times never needed a backup (though tis nice 2 have one anyway) the strap buttons are pretty good and the strap rarely comes loose though always use strap locks if you can get em, there's only 1 or 2 minor chips in the paint and considering the abuse it's gone through it should be in pieces by now but it's still as solid as ever. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything I love all kinds of music and this guitar is able to play anything really well but it truly excels with the rock, blues and metal genres the more gain the better it gets, I've grown sort of attached to this guitar and tho I've more expensive instruments worth several times it's value I always go straight for it when I practice the neck is just very comfortable to me and the sound is exceptional for a guitar of this price, granted the look and design of this guitar wont turn heads nor does it have much prestige to it tis a basic looking thing, but think of it this way I've a high end EMG equipped Jackson king v which is a fantastic guitar to play but it's in it's case gathering dust in the corner and I play this every day :) // 10

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: Kamil12l, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 269

Purchased from: thomann.de

Features: Made in China, I got it fresh from the factory in late 2010. This guitar has 24 XJ frets on a great looking rosewood fingerboard with a 25.5" scale. It has a basswood body with a bolt-on neck construction and a thin you neck contour for easier and faster shredding. The finish looks really nice, it's a little glossy and the ebony really looks nice together with the rosewood fingerboard and chrome hardware(tuners, locking nut, bridge etc). Also as you can see on the pictures the way the body is shaped with it's curved surface makes the guitar look unique and also is comfortable while playing. The volume and tone knobs are very solid and definitely will last your for a long time without any problems. Although the 3-way pick-up selector isn't as solid as the knobs I haven't had any problems yet. The pickups could be better though but if your not fully satisfied with the tone and don't want to spend half of the value of the guitar on new pickups then I recommend you try changing the pickup height and adjust it to your personal preference where should it be crunchy and full of treble like a Strat or more Acoustic and bluesy like a Les Paul or Tele. Of course you won't get a Les Paul or Tele sound from this guitar, I'm just using it as an example. Finally the Bridge that comes with it was one of the main reasons why I bought this guitar and not a Les Paul. The newer models or at least the one made in the last 2 years should have the Floyd Rose Special Bridge instead of the Standard Floyd Rose Licensed. The Bridge is really awesome in spite of the pain in the a** it will give you when it comes to changing strings, and even worse when moving to a different gauge of strings! Your best of using 9's if you don't want to regulate your Bridge and probably brake the new strings while doing it. But as I said the ability to do dive bombs, squeals and all that crazy stuff is really satisfying especially when showing off! The Bridge operates smoothly and efficiently. While the 42mm locking nut keeps the strings in tune for a very long time. Sometimes to get it back in tune just pull back gently on the whammy bar and it will put the strings back in tune. The Standard ESP tuners aren't the best nor the worst their just fine. Remember not to tune your guitar when the strings are locked with the locking nut! // 9

Sound: This guitar actually has a nice versatility when it comes to different styles of playing. Originally it's a shredder's guitar for the fans of Kirk Hammett for example, and therefore playing record breaking solos is comfortable and sounds really nice thanks to the 24 XJ frets, thin you neck contour, a nice curve in the body under the last few frets for comfortable playing on the 24th fret and of course the Floyd Rose Special Bridge for adding colour to your solo's. But this guitar can also play blues and jazz perfectly when you set up the pick-up height right. Check different guitar forums on this topic and you should get all the help you need. Although if can save enough money I'll recommend you'll change the pickups for a better tone. I played this guitar on many amps from normal 15 watt spider to 120 watt Fender tube amp, that's because I gig actively with the band and in different venues we get amps on which we can play on. And the rich tone of this guitar can be best heard on tube amps. Although small modulated amps will work with the guitar just fine. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was terribly set up when I first got it, but after two hours of messing around I got it set up perfectly without any buzz noise and with perfect harmonics. The worst part was setting up the Bridge so that it will be in line with the body. As for the electronics everything worked and still works perfectly. Despite of the poor factory set-up the guitar was well finished and the quality of the materials used looks, feels and sounds solid. The body even has a nice Acoustic resonance when unplugged. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played many gigs and been on many rehearsals with this guitar, I've dropped it many times, walked on it etc... And still it looks and plays like new apart from the dust that gathered on it. The finish will last for very long and scratches are hardly visible unless you scratched it with a butcher knife. The Switch works fine as for now and the knobs seem like they will last for decades! The only thing that ever broke on this guitar were the strings after abusive dive bombs during the messing around on rehearsals. // 10

Overall Impression: 9, 8, 9, 10 = 9 as far as my calculations are right. This guitar is solid and cheap, will last your for long even when actively playing live or actively showing off in front of the girls. If you think you can handle adjusting some screws in order to have fun with the whammy bar then you'll have no problems with this guitar and you will be well satisfied with the versatility, comfort and ease of play it offers, especially if you upgrade the pickups. // 9

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: logan97, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Styles music

Features: I don't know what year it was made, my brother has had it for about a year and it was brand new when he got it, I used to play it all the time before I got my electric guitar. It has twenty frets but I don't know what fret wood it is. It has a matte black finish and chrome tuners. It has a volume control and a tone control. There are two pickups and I think they are ltd. The tuners don't lock. It also has a spot for a whammy. // 10

Sound: The guitar sounds very very good on distortion settings, its very distorted and loud. We use a Marshall amp with it, I have yet to try the Epiphone Studio 15R with it, but the Epiphone one has more controls so it might sound better on clean than it does now. It sounds slightly off on clean, but very good on distortion. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well at the factory, no flaws in the finish, scratches smudges, etc, the pickups were adjusted perfectly needed no adjustments. The Bridge was also set up perfectly, sounded great right of the bat. Thee were no loose screws or loose tuning pegs or anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes I believe this guitar will stand up very well live, I wouldn't use a backup, its very sturdy. The pickup Switch seems a little delicate, very skinny, but all the other hardware is very solid. The matte finish seems a little easy to scratch but none so far so that's good. Very reliable and durable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk and alternative music, so the distortion sounds good for punk songs, but for alternative songs on clean it doesnt't sound as perfect. I own a Epiphone Special Two and I personally prefer that over this guitar, but the ESP is very good also. Excellent quality product I reccomend it to anyone that likes alot of distortion. // 8

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: This particular ESP LTD M-50 was made in Indonesia in 2006. The agathis body is solid but relatively light (mine is in a nice satin blue). The bodys shape is Strat-style but with right angled edges instead of rounded to give it an edgey look (goes with the sound too) The body houses two stock ESP passive humbuckers and a black chrome ESP Vintage tremolo bridge. To change the sound there are two black chrome knobs, one for volume, one for tone, and a three way pickup Switch. It has twenty-two extra jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard. At the end of the neck is a reverse headstock with non-locking black chrome tuners. The guitar came with two allen keys, but unfortunately for me, was missing the tremolo arm. // 9

Sound: I mainly play metal but also classic and heavy rock, this guitars warm open sound suits it very well. The pickups are cheap but for the price you paying for the guitar it doesn't matter, besides you can upgrade them later. It handles los of distortion very well and with hardly any background noise. It can make a variety of sounds but most definately suited to metal/rock/punk more than anything else, which is fine by me. Also on a clean amp setting it provides a very warm and rich tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recieved this guitar it came perfectly set up, not a drop out of place. Low action complementing the fast neck. The quality of everything is absoloutely flawless. I didn't have to put new strings on it or anything. The intonation is also so much better than most other guitars I've played. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No-one should play Live without a backup because absoloutely anyhting could happen, but I'm so confident in this guitar that I would. It seems like it'll last for ages and could take a fair drop, really solidly made. The paint ain't going anywhere soon either. // 10

Overall Impression: Basically, in my opinion, this guitar will never be worth more than $500 (AU) but for its price you'll never find a guitar so well put together if you play metal or heavy rock. If it were solen/lost I'd be back in the shop with the cash already on the table for a new one, but in black. Can't think of anything I really have a problem with on this guitar, probably the pickups but they'll get swapped sooner or later. Note that all my ratings are relative to the price. Thank you ESP. // 10

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: DarkValo666, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This is the M-50 by LTD. I don't know what year it was made exactly, but it must've been about 2000 or something like that. It was made in Indonesia. It has got 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard, the body is made of basswood and the neck is of maple. The body style reminds of the famous superstrat style. You'll find an ESP Vintatge Tremolo on the bridge, as well as two ESP LH-150 passive humbuckers. It has got a volume and a tone knob, which are next to a 3-way switch. The tuners are also made by ESP themselves, and are non-locking. It also has got a reversed headstock, which in my opinion is very cool. // 9

Sound: As almost every ESP user I play rock and metal with this guitar, and surprise it fits it perfectly. It provides great sustain, and even though you don't have the legendary EMG pickups in it, it sounds great! I plugged it into my amp (a Dimavery GA-15, which really sucks) and I was really surprised. I always had known that ESPs sound great, but I never played one myself, so I was like:"Wow, it sounds even better than I thought!" There is hardly any background noise. Of course it's made for metal, but if you try a little with the pickups and the tone knob, you can even play some nixe blues (rock) with it. The clean sound is good as well, but I would choose a Les Paul for clean and blues sounds. And I would replace the pickups with EMG os Seymour Duncans. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar from eBay, so I can't tell too much about the setup. But I once played it at a local music store, and it seemed to be quite nice. The strings are the only point I would have to complain at. They could be a little closer to the fretboard, and you have to push the tremolo really hard to get some effect. But that's the only thing I have to complain at. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played Live with it, for my band is still busy with songwriting, but I believe that this guitar would stand it with no need for a backup (I would take one wit hme though, just in case). The strap buttons are very solid, the scews are very hard to remove. The finish will not go anywhere unless the guitar falls on the edge of the stage. This perhaps did happen to the previous user, because it has got a little paint off, but that doesn't disturb me. Vintage feeling, man. // 9

Overall Impression: After all I can say, this is a great guitar. It's very cheap (about 220, if you buy a new one), but it has got a great sound and it's very solid. I've been playing for two years, this is the first decent guitar I have. I also have a Dimavery PS-522, which isn't as half as good as this guitar here. I would like to have a FR on it, as well asl EMGs, but it wouldn't be as cheap then. // 9

LTD M-50 Reviewed by: Duff_McGee, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: It's been a few years since I got it, but I believe this either a 2005 or 2006 flat black, alder body ESP LTD M-50 model. I say alder body, because at the time, I think that's what they were using; ESP has since moved to basswood for the 50 series. This guitar sports a comfortable bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard along with 22 extra jumbo frets. The body shape is your Standard strat-style copy. The bridge is a Standard tremolo, but I advise against using it if you want to stay in tune. The pickups are stock passive ESP LH150's, not entirely bad for a low-end guitar. The electronics just have a simple 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, and selector Switch configuration. And of course the tuners are also just a stock set. All hardware is finished in black chrome. // 6

Sound: For the sake of ease, let's keep this in the mindset of someone looking for a decent beginner guitar. Now for me, personally, I play a blend of rock, hard rock, metal, and even some country. The pickups give a good a rock/hard rock sound no problem. For your Standard metal tone, it's lacking a bit, but again, for an inexpensive beginner's guitar, it's fine. And obviously for country music, it's going to lack that famous twang of say a Strat or Telecaster. When I received this guitar I was using it straight into a Crate GT212 combo amp. It served it's purpose well enough, but my current set up involves a Peavey Valve King head, with a BBE Sonic Maximizer and Furman power conditioner, and it makes this guitar sound considerably better. This guitar has NEVER given me that undesirable 'buzz' that most cheap guitars seem to produce, or at least not enough for me to notice; it's fairly quiet. All in all, despite the slight dullness of the pickups, someone looking for a decent, inexpensive straight up rock sound should have no problem with this guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, it's been a while since I first got this guitar, so this area is a little fuzzy for me. As well as I can remember, this guitar was set up fairly when I received it. The action was a little low on the high E string, causing some buzzing and muffling on the first fret. I think it's somewhat unfair to judge a guitar on how the action and pickups were adjusted at the factory, considering those are variables that need to be set at the player's own personal preference. The body and hardware had no visible flaws or blemishes. The cosmetic 'issue' this guitar has is the fret marker for the 12th fret on the side of neck; one of the double dots is somewhat lower than the other. Altogether, it was in top notch condition when received. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Now this is where this guitar speaks to me. It is damn near a tank. Will it withstand a gig? No problem at all. This guitar has been dropped probably a dozen times, fell off a guitar stand at least once, and has withstood all the abuse I have put it through. For live playing, it's been my best friend. Regardless of even being a cheap guitar, it stays in tune fairly well, surprisingly. The strap buttons are good, but regardless, I advise anyone who plays live to invest in strap locks. They're definitely worth it. I have two mid-level range guitars that are conceivably much nicer than this one (in looks and sound), but I still use this one as my main guitar. It's rigid and sturdy and I can always depend on it. I've played many shows with this guitar without a backup. And when I do play with a backup, it's just to cover me when a string breaks. Now granted, this paint has some chips and blemishes and the body has a few dents and dings, but mostly produced by my own abuse and idiocy. I've had no problems with the electronics in the 4 or 5 years I've owned this. The bridge seems a little bit rusty in a few spots, but I would suspect if you're the kind of person to keep your guitar fairly cleans, this would be little of an issue. This guitar is my workhorse. // 10

Overall Impression: My first guitar was an Ibanez GRX20. At the time, I thought it was a great guitar for it's price. The M-50 was my second guitar, and compared to it, the GRX20 is nothing. Had I known how well the M-50 would serve me over the years, I wouldn't even have the GRX20. Again, I play a bend of rock, hard rock, metal and a little country. I would say I mostly play hard rock and this guitar serves it's purpose well. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely get another, hopefully if they're still making them like this one. I bought this guitar without knowing really anything about it and I'm glad I did. This guitar has even built up sentimental value to me. It's withstood my abuse, crappy playing conditions and has not failed me yet. Whether you're looking for a beginning guitar or just a guitar to thrash around on, this one is a great choice. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014