LTD MH-1000NT Deluxe Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 03/04/2013 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD MH-1000NT Deluxe
Overall this guitar seems to be a great match for my style, which uitlizes a lot of fast arpeggios and solos, downtuning as low as Drop B and C Standard, as well as many clean breaks and low gain solos.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.8
 8.9
 9.1
 8.6
reviews (4) pictures (4) 10 comments vote for this gear:
LTD MH-1000NT Deluxe Reviewed by: Pat_s1t, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: My model of this guitar is the MH-1000 Deluxe NT (Non-Trem) in the Desert Brown Sunburst finish. It was made in 2009 in Korea, just before they discontinued the DBSB finish I have. I must say, since I bought this guitar almost 6 months ago, so far I've have been very impressed. Overall the construction seems very good, it came set up perfectly out of the box (low profile, good intonation, etc.). It features a Mahogany body with a Maple set-thru neck and beautiful Quilted Maple top, with a 25.5" scale 24 XJ rosewood fretboard. The inlays are fairly discrete abalone blocks on the topside of the fretboard, with the exception of the "MH-1000" inlay at the 12th fret, and the whole guitar is also binded in abalone to really create a special and dazzling guitar. It also sports a Tonepros Tune-o-Matic bridge and ESP Locking tuners, both nickel plated, as well as a set of Seymour Duncan pickups, with a JB in the bridge and a '59 at the neck. It comes equipped with two knobs, one for volume and another for tone, and finally a nice 5-way selector Switch which works perfectly. // 10

Sound: This guitar is one of the more versatile models I have played in quite a while. I mostly play metal and metalcore, with some progressive rock/metal and classic too, causing me to demand a guitar with high versatility in tone as well as playability. So far I've discovered that while the SD's don't crank out the same high-gain sound as EMG's do, they still do very well with most metal styles, with me really only bringing out my EMG equipped guitars for super heavy death and thrash metal. I run all my guitars through either a Pod X3 at home or a Mesa Single Rectifier 50w, with so far no actual effects pedals in my chain yet except for running my Pod's delay and reverb in the loop. It seems to make less noise than my Eclipse during use with the Mesa, but on the Pod I do need to turn the noise gate up more to cancel out the static. That being said, I don't have to turn it up so much that it sucks the tone from the guitar, and the guitar still remains very responsive in terms of control and note break up, especially when playing solos or riffs that require silence between notes and clean sections that need to ring out and sustain. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I was very impressed with how the guitar was setup at the factory. It came perfect out of the box, with no need for adjusting the bridge or pickups, and there were no flaws in the wood or hardware. The frets were smooth and comfortable, the controls were tight and noiseless, the wood seemed to be high quality with lots of depth and good structure, and the guitar was just beautiful to play and to admire on it's own. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does withstand live playing, as I use it currently whilst practicingn heavily with my band for hours on end, and I have also noticed guitarists from touring acts such as God Forbid and and Epicurean using it during whole North America tours. The hardware seems very solid and durable, with no string slipping at the bridge or the headstock, although I may need to Switch out the bridge anyway due to an unknown nickel allergy. I cannot comment on the strap buttons as I never had any experience with the stock ones, I swapped them for Ernie Ball locking buttons before I even used the ESP ones. The finish requires very little maintenance and seems to be well done, and I am quite satisfied with this guitar's reliability. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar seems to be a great match for my style, which uitlizes a lot of fast arpeggios and solos, downtuning as low as Drop B and C Standard, as well as many clean breaks and low gain solos (think Pink Floyd). I have been playing guitar now for over three years, with my current gear consisting of this guitar, an LTD EC-1000, a Jackson DKMG, a Pod X3 and a Mesa Single Rec with a Soldano cab. It's features suit me well and are easy to use, it is a very playable and versatile piece of equipment, and after comparing it to guitars such as Ibanez RG's and S', various Schecters and even a few Gibsons, this guitar came on top because of it's great tone and value. I would definetly attempt to buy another one if mine was misplaced or stolen, and I would recommend it to any guitar player that doesn't want to spend thousands on great quality equipment. // 10

LTD MH-1000NT Deluxe Reviewed by: CkY freak, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Up for review is an LTD MH-1000NT Deluxe in see-through black cherry, I believe its called. I have no idea how to date these things, but I believe it is an older one. The new ones seem to have a matching headstock, this one does not. It just has a black one. Here's a quick features run down: - Set-thru construction - Mahogany body with a quilted maple top - 25.5" Scale maple neck - Rosewood fretboard with 24 XJ frets - Master volume and tone controls - 5-Way ultraswitch pickup selector - TonePros locking TOM bridge - ESP locking tuning machines - Black nickel hardware Mine did come with several accessories. It came with a really nice hardshell case, a strap, and straplocks. The biggest difference between a stock model and this particular one is that the previous owner switched the SD pickups that come stock normally, for an EMG 81/60 combo. I know the trem version of this guitar comes with EMGs, but I'm tired of trems. I wanted to be able to switch tunings without adjusting everything. // 10

Sound: Lets face it, this guitar is built for metal. It is a heavy metal machine. This isn't going to be your choice for a journey cover band or anything like that. But it does metal as well as anything I've played. I'm using it with a Peavey 6505 and a delay pedal. Pretty simple setup. I've always steered clear of EMGs in the past, and at first I wish this guitar had the stock JB/59 on it. However, I'm quite happy with the EMG's. They are very clear and articulate compared to other passives I have. I think I'll be keeping them. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well since this guitar was used, it was set up perfectly. It feels like it was specially set up for me. It's incredible. But with it being used, it's not in perfect shape. There are some scatches and dings in it. But that shouldn't obviously be the case with a new one, so I won't go any farther into details on the finish. I'm going to rate this on a NEW one however. This guitar is BEAUTIFUL. It's pretty looks are quite interestingly compliment it's monster metal style. // 10

Reliability & Durability: With it having dings in it, I am concerned on how easily this guitar could be damaged. I would never use a guitar without a backup. I bought this guitar to have a more suited backup/2nd guitar for my style. I have other guitars that would be fine, but this one has it all. // 8

Overall Impression: Well as stated above I bought this to have second guitar to switch out if needed. I have several other guitars - Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, Ibanez RG470, PRS SE 245, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, and a Fender American Strat. They all have their purposes for different genres/styles. I used my Ibanez Prestige live 99% of the time, and I usually brought along my RG470, though it wasn't very reliable. So that's what I got this for - a reliable backup metal guitar. This guitar is great for live playing it seems. This guitar seems to weigh NOTHING. Its by far the lightest guitar I own. I did try out a similar guitar to this before hand - the EC1000, but I wasn't impressed. I much prefer this guitar, as I own mostly Strat/Super Strat style guitars. I have a couple singlecuts that I love, so I went this route. I love the weight and lovely finish on this guitar. As far as anything I don't like about it - I can't really think of anything. It plays super smooth, I love the pickups, though I wish I could have tried the JB/59 ones first, but at this price - I can't complain! // 9

LTD MH-1000NT Deluxe Reviewed by: solidrane, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: C$ 789

Purchased from: LA Music

Features: This guitar was made in 2010 in Korea, it is a very common superstrat with 24 frets, a 25'5 scale guitar with a decently slim 3 piece quartersawn maple neck and rosewood fretboard. Mahogany body with a quilted maple top with a trans-blue finish. As for hardware, it has locking ESP tuners, a tonepros TOM bridge (string-thru) It has a Seymour Duncan JB and 59 and 5 way switch. Something that I did like was the cutaway on the set neck which made the neck feel like a neck thru. Something that saddened me was that over 2010, ESP had swapped their Grover tuners for ESP locking which I don't see much use for and that the maple top was a measly 4mm veneer. // 7

Sound: I used to play lots of Children Of Bodom and Protest The Hero but have toned down to 80's Metallica, AC/DC, and Jimi Hendrix. The JB is NOT a high power pickup, versatile as it is, it will suit Metallica and lighter metal but it will not tolerate anything lower. Cleans are great coming from a 59' but overall it is very much worth every dollar spent on it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: AMAZING JOB LIL' KOREANS! Basically, the MH-Deluxes are budget models of its higher tier Horizon masterpieces but this guitar definitely had a top tier fret job, wiring job, and total guitar setup. The one annoyance I have with import guitars are that they are VERY hit or miss. I have a Schecter Blackjack (WHICH IS MADE IN THE SAME EXACT FACTORY AS THE MH-1000) and that thing was absolutely horrid out of the box, sprung frets, cracked binding, and dis-positioned nut. Just try the guitar in personal before buying any guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The durability was "meh" and passable, the setup was top-tier but the finish wasn't, my 4 year old Chinese made Epiphone Les Paul's finish lasted longer than this. I could feel the grain of the top around my volume control after 1 year. The pots started to become loose and the set screws in the bridge became "screwy" after a month or two... Okay job, not excellent but passable. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar is worth the money but any guitars from china, Indonesia, or Malaysia are pretty "hit or miss" and I just got lucky and hit with this guitar. Worth the money, just be aware that no guitar is perfect (unless it's a custom shop). // 8

LTD MH-1000NT Deluxe Reviewed by: Kellin Quinn, on march 04, 2013

Price paid: A$ 730

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Features: - Set-Thru Construction - 25.5" Scale - Mahogany Body - Quilted Maple Top - Maple Neck - Rosewood Fingerboard - 42mm Standard Nut - Thin U Neck Contour - 24 XJ Frets - Black Nickel Hardware - LTD Locking Tuners - Tonepros Locking TOM Bridge - Seymour Duncan JB (B) / '59 (N) p.u. - Finish: STB (See Thru Blue) - Master Volume - 5-Way Ultraswitch - Master Tone The features of this guitar are above standard for what I paid for it; where I live, anybody would be hard-pressed to find a Korean-made guitar with Duncans for less than $1000. The guitar did not come with a case, so I purchased an ESP one for it after I received it. The quality of the rosewood fretboard is excellent and (this may just be preference), I prefer it to the feel of my recently-acquired AW-7 with its ebony fretboard. The only downside to this guitar, in my opinion, is the lack of a case and the fact that the neck is painted. // 9

Sound: I'll start off by saying that this guitar is monstrous. I play heavy music in the style of Veil Of Maya, Within The Ruins, Parkway Drive, Amon Amarth, Born Of Osiris, The Faceless, Periphery (I think you get the idea), to soft bands such as Dance Gavin Dance, Hail The Sun, Of Machines and A Lot Like Birds; allow me to say that this guitar suits it all. I'm playing through a Randall RG100G3 with a TS9 in the front and I can achieve a wide array of tones from this guitar. The JB/'59 set is one of the most versatile pickup combinations out there and I can (admittedly, with some effort) achieve crushing tones, due in part to the mahogany body and set-neck construction. The guitar is extremely playable; the neck feels like a Fender neck does, only a smidge rounder. I have very few gripes with this guitar, even after having played Ibanez Prestiges, Schecters, Fenders, Jacksons, Sterlings, you name it. I love this guitar above all others. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar almost a year ago and, though I'm not an overly experienced player, I spend a good deal of time reading about guitars and play whenever the opportunity presents itself. If I remember correctly, the guitar was playable out of the box, but it needed some heavier strings and a good setup. The guitar itself was pretty much flawless, however. I put this guitar in drop C for a while and used 11-54s, which I had to widen the hole in the nut where the low C would sit to fit. I doubt many other people had that problem, though. A local guitar store stocked the exact same MH-1000NT (with the blue and everything) and I looked the brand new one over for any inconsistencies that my guitar may or may not share and they were both exactly the same, which pleased me. Apart from some minor corrosion of the metal locking tuners and knobs, this guitar has stayed in great shape, even through the ten or so gigs I've played with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I believe that I would have to do something pretty bloody stupid to damage this thing. The strap buttons are solid, but I replaced them with DiMarzio Cliplocks for added safety. I have used this guitar at a gig without a backup (it was my only guitar at the time, aha) and it was totally dependable. The hardware on this guitar is, I believe, as good as any Japanese-made ESP. I say this with full confidence, having played an Eclipse-II and Horizon NT-II for extended periods of time. Given the chance, I would take an ESP over an LTD, but the Deluxe series is truly in a similar league. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar means a lot to me and, even as a player of only two years, I believe that I won't be parting with this guitar for as long as I play. I love this guitar for its lightweight design, versatile array of sounds and player-friendly design. My gripe with the painted neck aside, this guitar has some great specifications for its price tag. The LTD Deluxe series will measure up to any guitar in its price range and likely supersede it. The MH-1000 is a reliable, versatile workhorse that will appease even the pickiest of players. Personally, I don't see how anybody could ever be disappointed with buying this guitar. Fully realising that this is a production-quality, Korean-made guitar, I'm willing to give it a 9, taking the price tag into account. Video from YouTube:

// 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD Xtone PC-2-12 9 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014