LTD MH-100QM Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 02/18/2014 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD MH-100QM
This is a solid body electric guitar with superb playability, beefy pickups and a luxurious quilted maple top, at a great price. It's loaded with ESP LH-150 pickups for versatile, fat rock tones.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 9.1
reviews (5) pictures (1) 43 comments vote for this gear:
LTD MH-100QM Reviewed by: mechanix92, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Furtados music

Features: The features on this guitar are frickin good for the price. It comes with a lincensed Floyd Rose (however this admittedly makes chaging strings a pain in the ass) that sounds great. It has 24 extra jumbo frets that are just perfect for shredding it up like a metal god. It has the basic Strat shape but this guitar will really stand out because it's beautiful. It comes with a quileted maple top that looks great (mine is green but I think now only blue is available). This guitar seriously looks much more expensive than it is. The pickups are incredibly good for stock pickups (passive, I think they're the ESP LH-150 pickups). It also has tuning locks made by ESP that are really useful because the floyd rose tends make the guitar go out of tune. Anyway the tuning locks take care of this. I'm giving it nine because I wish I got the one without the tremolo. // 9

Sound: I play mostly thrash metal. Basically Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer etc. Also older metal like Maiden and Sabbath etc. However I also like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin and I can pull off all of this with this guitar. It has a dark sound while using the bridge pickup with distortion and you can also get those beautiful ringing chords of the neck. I'm using this through a Roland Cube 15 which honestly isnt the best amp but I still get a nice sound. My only complaint is the it's a bit noisy and kind of hums when you're not playing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action wasn't perfect but I was able to sort that out by myself no problem. There was a screw missing from the back plate as well but I got another one and is no big deal. So yeah, no big shit. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is quite heavy and very solid. I would definetly play this witout a back up. Strap buttons have not failed yet and I don't expect them to. Again this guitar has a good, great looking finish that really compliments the quilted maple. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm really pleased with this guitar. It's a perfect match for my playing style and it has great looks that get me lots of compliments. I've only been playing two years but this guitar is great and beats the living crap out of my old Ibanez starter pack guitar. If it was stolen I would find the guy steal some mopney from him and buy the ESP LTD MH-100NT which is the same guitar without the whammy. But if you want great metal and classic rock sound with a whammy bar this is yours. // 9

LTD MH-100QM Reviewed by: LedFender, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash - Ontario CA

Features: I believe ESP is stationed in Japan, but im not totally sure. Anyway, this ESP MH-100QMNT is a great guitar for $380 bucks. It has 24 extra jumbo frets, quilted maple top, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, basswood body, bolt on neck, T.O.M bridge and I put on an EMG H4 passive pickup in the bridge position. It has a Strat style body. I have all passive pickups. It has master volume, master tone and 3 way pickup switch. I have standard ESP tuners on it as well. I also have yet to put another EMG in the neck position. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of classic rock, blues, hard rock, and metal. This guitar fits everyone of those needs. I play through a Raven RG100 amp that has 2x12s in it. It gives me a great, hard sound that I love. I run it through a DigiTech RP250. it isnt noisy... especially with the EMG, it is silent. I usually have my settings as: treble - 10, mid - 10, bass - 4, gain - 2 o'clock or sometimes 5 o'clock. It has a nice variety of sounds. I can get some heavy tones, to some bluesy tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup out of the factory was pretty good, but 6 months down the line I had some bad low E buzzing. It went away mysteriously though. The pickups were fine. I just replaced the bridge pickup with an EMG H4 passive and it sounds a lot brighter. I can't think of any flaws to the guitar at all. The tuners work great and everything is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As far as durability goes, it can take a lot of punishment. The headstock has been accidentally smacked against walls and it stays in perfect condition. The hardware so far, is lasting, I have had the guitar for about 8 months. The strap buttons are good, the guitar isn't heavy at all, so I dont have to worry about the strap coming off. I can rely on this guitar for anything, it gives me ANY style of music that I want to play. I could easily gig with this guitar, even though it's only $380, it has blown my mind away. The finish is great, it's dark red with some cool little swirly things wich makes it look really tight. The only thing that has worn off is some of the silver paint on my TOM bridge from the sweat from my hands... but its all good. // 10

Overall Impression: If this were stolen, I would probably either cry for about 3 weeks straight or find the guy Who stole it, and rip his heart out. This guitar is everything I need in a guitar. I have been playing for almost 2 years. I started on christmas of 06. My gear is: amp - Raven RG100 2X12, guitars - ESP MH100QMNT, 1965 Fender Stratocaster, effects - DigiTech RP250 multi-effects box. It's hard to compare the ESP with my Strat because they feel so different. As far as anything I like / dislike about it, there isn't anything that I dislike about it. I could see recording material with this guitar. I'ts that great. It's all I need in a guitar and more! Try it out if you get the chance. // 10

LTD MH-100QM Reviewed by: bla556, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 279

Purchased from: Professional Equipment

Features: Well, the first thing to say is that I rate every section in relation to the price of this instrument and if I give a 10, it doesn't mean it couldn't be better in any way, but it's just great for the price paid... Back to the topic: Like every ltd it was produced in asia, I'm not sure if Malaysia or Korea. It is a mh-100qm nt (2008 model), which means it has no tremolo-bridge, but a nice string-thru-body construction. The color is see-thru-black-cherry on a beautiful quilted maple top. Body is made of basswood, it has a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. 24 jumbo frets, 2 ESP LH-150 humbuckers, 3-way-selector, 1 tone-, 1 volume-knob. Non-locking tuners by ESP, no bonus accessories came with it, but I bought them at my local store when I bought this guitar, so I got a strap, a gigbag and strings + this guitar for only 300. // 9

Sound: I play many styles of music, everything from ska to punkrock to thrash metal. I also own a Yamaha RGX 220 DZ which is tuned to dropped c, so my new ESP LTD is my main guitar when it comes to playing Metallica and stuff. I'm usually playing through a Boss Metal Zone, Boss Phase Shifter, DigiTech Multi Voice Chorus and a Boss Equalizer and a 70 watts Fender Roc Pro 700 amp. The LH-150 pickups are really good in this price range, certainly better than the ones in my Yamaha which costs about 60 more. I like the sound the bridge pickup creates with the overdrive channel of my amp - very useful for punkrock like Bad Religion, NOFX and so on. It also delivers a great tone for Metallica when accompanied by the Metal Zone. In the neck position I would prefer another pickup, as I think it is a bit trebly, but you can use this position for a decent ska-rhythm sound. Combined they give a nice balanced sound, nothing to complain about here. The volume knob really helps to get a smooth bluesy sound, especially with the neck pickup and my amp-overdrive (which is tube-driven, the roc pro is a hybrid amp). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The overall action was well done, low, but not too low, pickups were adjusted properly. The guitar was put together very well, the quilted maple top itself is flawless. My only complaint is that there are two litlle flaws in the finish. Two little spots on the top are not coloured, but they are really small, so I'm not to angry about that. There is also a minimal scratch in the fretbaord in the 3rd fret, but it doesn't afecct my playing, so who cares? Wiring seems to be perfect, no noise when turning the knobs or using the selector switch. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure this guitar will withstand any trouble I will put it through. Haven't gigged with it yet, but it has done well in every band practice until now. The hardware seems to be durable, the strap buttons are solid, I don't miss strap locks at all. Of course I wouldn't gig without a backup, because there is always the danger of breaking a string (and I've made some bad experiences with my Yamaha... it has a locking tremolo). But the guitar itself is pretty solid. I've have owned it for about 2 and a half months and I don't see why it should ever let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: As I've already said, I play a lot of difference styles of music and this guitar is able to cope with almost every of them quite well. Even though it is certainly best for metal and hardrock, it also fits any music with overdrive/distortion-guitars. The clean sound is not perfect, but also okay if you don't have too high expectations. and you shouldn't have them cause it's less than 300. If it was stolen I'd probably buy it again, 'cause in this price range there's no guitar that can stand a fight with this axe. Well at least that's my opinion. It even beated out the living hell out of a Jackson Explorer-rip-off which was twice the price and which I've played in my local store. I also prefer it's tone over my Yamaha. Plus you shouldn't forget the shear beauty of a dark red quilted maple top... This baby totally convinced me of ESP and if I will ever save enough money (probably after my civil service) I will buy a more expensive ESP, but until then, this is a really nice guitar and I'm totally in love with it. // 9

LTD MH-100QM Reviewed by: GS LEAD 5, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Braganza & Co

Features: Made in China. Don't know the year. 24 frets. 25.5 inch scale. Thin U-Neck Contour. XJ frets. Quilted maple top. Basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Blue color. Strat style minus pick guard. Licensed Floyd Rose. Passive ESP LH-150 pups. I volume, I tone, I 3 way pup seletor. ESP tuners. Locking nut. Transparent finish. Black nickel hardware. Got a gig bag, strap, tremolo arm, 3 Dunlop picks, 4 allen wrenches. // 9

Sound: Play mostly metal, with a bit of classic rock. Play lead in the school band. Sounds good for stock pups. Gets slightly noisy with gain at 10, can be fixed by muting low e and a strings. Roars rather than screams, if you get my drift. Running through an MG15CD at home and a school owned MG250 during jamming. Only using a DigiTech DF-7 for distortion, sometimes using a friends Korg AX3000. NOT reccomended for classic rock/blues players. Impossible to get a good AC/DC tone. Bridge pup gets a Killer Fear of the Dark tone, can get an almost ditto Megadeth tone (Sleepwalker) with a friends Roland Cube on the Boss MT2 model on my pedal. Neck pup kinda lacks bass, good for soloing though, cuts through well. Just don't palm mute, sounds vey muddy. FR not bad for licensed stuff-tuning goes only if you really, REALLY gang rape it. Had three springs fitted in the beginning, removed one of them, was way too stiff. Definitely meant for metal players. Should sound good with a pair of EMG's/Seymour Duncans fitted. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup excessively low. Fixed after a lot of fiddling with the bridge. Very comfortable to hold. XJ frets very easy to play, does not "mulch" fingers as some people say. Mine came fitted with D'Dario XL Nickel Wound Super Light Gauge strings. I suggest heavier gauge strings if you use D tuning or lower- these ones kinda go clicketty clacketty in C tuning, but can be countered by lighter Strokes. A friend once borrowed it and tried to bring it to A tuning. Was pretty much unplayable. The stock pups didn't like A tuning much either. Recomended tuning-D standard/drop D. Bridge is a pain to adjust after tuning changes. Lockers are good. Spotted no flaws, except a poorly set up neck pup-the side nearer the low e was almost completely inside the body. Didn't have a screwdriver, used a USB pen Drive to adjust it. Tuners are utter rubbish-impossible to keep in tune minus the locks. Can go from D to B flat faster than you can say "Crappy tuners!".A friend has this 150 dollar Ibanez GRX 20- even that keeps tune better. With locks, quite stable. Only needs fine tuning via the bridge every week or so. Frets quite good for vibratos and bends. Tapping is childs play. Finish looks absolutely stunning-can really make heads turn. Total finger print magnet-takes God only knows how long to clean up after jams. Kinda slippery too, difficult to use anchoring. Gets scratched easily too. Looks a lot older after only a few months. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Pretty reliable. Never had problems with it. Hardware is solid-hit someone on the head with it, the poor chap will be at the pearly gates in a matter of minutes, no damage to the guitar(except probably scratches on the finish, and lots of hard-to-remove stains if the guy oils his hair). Feels like it will last. I would NEVER use ANY guitar at any gig without a backup, even one of the 2000 dollar ESP standards. Strap buttons are good. Tore a hole through the gig bag once. // 10

Overall Impression: Good for metal, horrible for anything else. Not very versatile at all. Even with gain down, you still get a dark jaggedy sort of tone. Playing for 2 years now. Is my first electric. Got a Marshall MG15CD, DigiTech DF-7, and a no name electric Acoustic. If it were stolen, I'd probably save up for an MH-401 or something. But first I'd grab the thief and stick the headstock up his arsehole. Gotta love those pointy ESP headstocks... My ain grouses are the crappy tuners, the scratch+fingerprint attracting properties of the finish,and the lack of versatility. However,since I play mainly metal, it isn't that much of a problem. But it is wierd to hear "Back in Black" with a metal tone... Was rather better than the Ibanez and Squirs in my price range. Couldn't get my hands on any Jacksons though, so I can't compare it to those. Overall, a good guitar for the price, espescially for beginners. // 8

LTD MH-100QM Reviewed by: heck_of_a_man, on february 18, 2014

Purchased from: guitar center, willmington DE

Features: 24 jumbo frets, a pretty slim neck, bass wood body, an esp single coil neck and mid pickup, an esp humbucking bridge pick up. It has one volume and one tone knob. Floyd Rose trem and esp tuners. The knobs are a nice style and feel solid. It has a maple top, with. Quilted finish, it looks very nice. The trem on this guitar gives amazing bomb drops. It plays real well with the jumbo frets. Really easy hammer ons, bends are so smooth on this fret board. Slides sound okay, could sound a lot better. The pickups don't buzz at all, in fact they sound nice for the price I payed. // 6

Sound: I bought this guitar because I wanted something that cam handle a lot of gain. I was also looking for something I could get around the fret board a little easier to. The guitar is pretty easy to play, especially after playing metal on a cheap strat for 3 years. I have a. Fender Mustang amp, so I can get pretty much any sounds I want out of the guitar. I'd rather it had 2 humbuckers than 2 single coils, but you can get a nice clean sound out of it because of this. I have a guitar for playing clean tho so its kind of pointless to me. I have to say I love the Floyd Rose trem, its probably the best feature of the guitar. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it set up at a shop in Newark, I put 9 gauge slinky cobalt strings on it and it was ready to go. It did have 2 or 3 scratches where the pickguard would be if it had one, I guess from idiots playing it at the store. The selector is absolute sh-t. Glad I got a warranty because it needsto be fixed. Other than that, the part of the trem that you screw the whammy on to was loose so I took it off. Going to have guitar center fix that to. The tuning pegs were a little loose where they screw onto the head so I had to tighten them up. The trem is a bit stiff where the fine tuners screw in. A drop of oil in each one and they loosened up. // 4

Reliability & Durability: If you wanted to play at your schools battle of the bands this guitar would be fine. It's not going to go out of tune because of the trem, and its not going to tire your hand out from playing to much. The straps buttons are very nice on this guitar. For playin' in a jam band with your friends this guitar is perfect. But its a budget guitar so keep that in mind. The selector is sh-t. Its a pretty guitar tho and would look nice on stage. Its pickups are covered and look very nice. The knobs feel secure and have a nice style. // 8

Overall Impression: I am ok at acoustic guitar. I've been playing about 5 years and I've played acoustic more than anything else. I love to play acoustic because it's a lot of fun, but I'm a metal head. I love the raw sound of a juiced up guitar. I have a Gretsch G9500 and another acoustic my dad gave me from the '70s (my nicest guitar). I have a Jay Turser strat that was my first electric which I absolutely love. I bought a fender mustang amp because of its versatility and features. So I play pretty much all types of music. I have a mod tone extreme metal pedal as well. This guitar sounds great with the pedal, you can achieve almost any range of rock and metal with this guitar amp and pedal combo. Great budget items. 240 dollar guitar, 250 dollar amp, and a 40 dollar pedal, and you can play any type of rock you want. Great stuff. I don't think I'd buy this guitar again, its a little to cheap for me, but I'm probably gonna keep it // 7

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD KH-2 9.3 Electric Guitars 06/23/2014