LTD MH-201 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD MH-201
Quilted maple top of solid mahogany body. Maple neck with rosewood fretboard. 6 bolt bolton neck, 24 jumbo frets.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.5
 8.6
 8.3
reviews (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
LTD MH-201 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Local store

Features: First of all: I bought the guitar in a local store in my hometown in Norway. Guitars are twice as expensive here than in the US. It's probably cheaper in your country. It is hand-made in Korea, inspected in the US. Specs: 24 frets, rosewood fingerboard, x2 Seymour Duncan design humbuckers, mahogany body, bolt-on neck. I give it an eight, because I don't know anything that could have been better, but I am not a specialist in guitars (I just play) so I don't know. // 8

Sound: I get bored sticking with only one music style, so I play a variety of things, like Dream Theater, Deftones and Metallica, but also Jimi Hendrix and classical music. So far I think the guitar stands the challenge. The dist is heavy and aggressive, great for riffs and rhythm. Pull the 5-way selector to the left and you get a smooth an cheesy sound for solos. Add some tremolo and delay and it is a great sound for solos (Steve Vai-like). I don't have anything negative to say about the sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up great. Once I have tuned it, I don't have to touch the tuning pegs for months, which is great. It looks great. The purple see-through body and the neck go well together. The guitar had a couple of scratches on the back, but they must have been made while the guitar was in store, because it was on a 50% sale. Nothing seems to be bad quality or broken, except some plastic hardware I messed up. I'm just gonna glue it up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I seriously don't think the finish will wear off. I've rehearsed with my band (or friends) for hours and hours and while they are getting frustrated with their guitars going out of tune, I don't have any problem. I think ESP provides quality guitars. Just visit their website and see all the great bands using ESP (Metallica, Deftones, Soulfly). I think ESP and Ibanez are equally good at making guitars, though I feel there is a big contrast between ESP and Ibanez. // 8

Overall Impression: What I like best about this guitar is that it feels very good to play it. I didn't think I would play guitar a lot when I bought it, but now I've had it for 4 months and I am getting more and more passionate about it. I really have found out what music is about with this guitar, and I am so happy I spent all my savings on it. If it was stolen or lost, I don't know what I would do. I really feel the guitar is a part of me, and I can't just replace it if something happens. I would be sad if I lost it. I feel the guitar can do whatever a 6-string guitar can do, so the next thing I'm gonna do is to buy a 7-string that gives me more possibilities to express myself, because that's what music is all about! // 10

LTD MH-201 Reviewed by: Bedroom*hero, on november 15, 2012

Features: This guitar is amazing for the price I paid but I shal dock it marks for the duncan designed. // 8

Sound: First lets clear up the switching. at positions 2 and four splits the coils into a single coil pickup and at middle turns both humbuckers on. I generally play metal punk and blues, this guitar handles them perfectly. Its bridge humbucker is perfect for soloing and harmonics. the neck is amazing for cleans. Split the bridge for a crunchy overdriven rhythm. I handed it to a friend and he totally annihilated a chickin' pickin' country solo. The Strat style body gives it a bright twangy tone, and helps it cut on leads. I use a Roland Cube 30 and a Marshal JCM-800 as my standard gear but I have used countless effects. All Dunlop crybabys I could find every Boss pedal the store had in stock. This guitar shines with Bass set to 6 o'clock, middle cranked all the way, and treble at 7.5 with delay and flanger. I have not been able to get any unwanted noise atal from it, except a wobbly volume knob that would cause it to cut out. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received this guitar its action was set very low, the intonation was superb, the truss rod had a bit of over-bow and the frets needed to be filed but those are all result of neglect by its previous owner. The volume knob was wobbly again fault of neglectful owner. I have no complaints about the routing of the bridge but I am not very familiar with floyd. Their was also a bit of buckle bite but again fault of owner. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstanded live playing and transport. I never need a backup and never bring a backup. The hardware is solid and isn't going anywhere. The Strap buttons are solid, it has never fallen once. I do allot of ruff whammy bar tricks and it still stays in tune all night, I could lift this guitar up by its whammy bar. The finish is strong, it withstands being bashed around and transported in a small gig bag. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, funk, rock and blues and this guitar totally destroys it all. I have been playing three years and currently own two custom frankenstrats( one a squire, on a barracuda), a Gibson All American 2, a Roland Cube 30, marshal jcm-800 head with a custom built cab, and a Fender F-15. I wish I would have gotten a hard case with it. If it were stolen I would hunt down that little SOB and tear off his testickles and force them into his eye sockets. My favorite feature is the five way Switch; it gives me every sound I want. Before buying this I compared it to every Jackson Soloist and Dinky I could get my hands on, a Washburn Ian Signature, and a G&L Telecaster. For this price it blew all those other guitars away. I only wish it had black binding to go with the hardware and actual Seymour Duncan pickups. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD EX-50 7.9 Electric Guitars 04/18/2014