LTD MH-250NT Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD MH-250NT
The MH250 is an incredibly affordable neck-thru body guitar with an incredible quilted maple top. Other features include EMG-ESP LH300 humbuckers, an agathis body, a 3-piece maple neck with a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard (jumbo frets), and black hardware.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 8.6
 8.4
 8.4
 8.3
reviews (5) 14 comments vote for this gear:
LTD MH-250NT Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: Amazing. It's a 2005 LTD made in Indonesia, not very many ESP's are made there anymore cause it's cheaper in japan. It has a 25.5" thru-neck I believe and 24XJ frets. The quilted maple arched top gives it stunning looks but the agathis body keeps the weight down. It has the usual super Strat shape like most modern metal guitar but the one big difference is the thickness, cause of the thru-neck they have managed to keep it's stupidly thin which is great for playing standing up. it's rounded off with a white and natural binding with Strings thru, perfect for drop tunning. Your given a volume and tone spilt so you can make the pick-ups into a humbucker and two single coils. Although it comes with EMG HZ4 (EMG ESP'S) they are amazing sharp. Non-locking tuners come as Standard but locking would have been nice. // 9

Sound: Its sound is awesome. I play it through a electro harmonix metal muff and I can get any variety of sounds from metalcore to punk. Everyone moans about EMG Hz's not being so good as 81s and 80 but on this guitar they work so much better. The sound comes out clear even when the distorion is maxed out and with the coil split you can achieve some amazing clean tones too. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is amazing, it came preset like most ESP's but I haven't had to play with the innotation at all and it stays perfectly intune even after a 1 and a half hour gig. I'm not a big person, only 5, 8 so the 25.5" neck was a bit of a risk but my hands can fit round it perfectly. it's cut aways are perfect for both standing and sitting and the input jack is no where near your leg. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although it has a quilted top it's suprisingly tough. Mine has been dropped afew times and has only afew dents. The obvious buckle rash happened, but I don't no any guitar company Who can prevent that. Strap buttons do need to be replaced to locking ones because they are not the strongest in the world and with giging she handles amazingly. // 9

Overall Impression: Amazing, simple as that. Although just over 400 she blows the water out of my EC-1000 which I thought would never happen. I would recoment buying little things like strap locks and a hard case would have been nice to get but I can't be picky with a 400 pound guitar. // 10

LTD MH-250NT Reviewed by: metallhead, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Ritchie's Music, NJ

Features: I bought this guitar new in December 2006. It is made in 2006 in Indonesia. The guitar has an amazing finish, very comfortable neck (not too thin, not too bulgy). I did add some Dunlop strap locks which I think is a must and the guitar was ready to rock. // 10

Sound: The aghatis body give is a bright sound (compared to a mahogany body guitar). This is not bad and in some cases (clean sounds) it gives is the twangy sound of a Fender Stratocaster. I like it. I should say that I am a fan of Vox's modeling line. I play through a Valvetronix AD30VT and a Tonelab with amazing results for both cleans and distortion with no additional pedal. The pickups were not too likable, the sound was too close to mdern metal which I am not too found of. What I was looking for was an 80's metal sound (think Skin O' My Teeth by Megadeth). So I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncans JB (bridge) and Jazz (neck) and got what I wanted. I wouldn't sell or trade this guitar for anything. It's got great sound, amazing sustain, and it is very playable. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with great setup, everything worked well. It had 10-46 strings on and for a few month I just played it straight out from the box. Then I changed the pickups, moved to 10-52's and adjusted the neck and hight of the bridge. The guitar is a pleasure to set up, very responsive to each little adjustment. There were no flaws in the guitar. I read that this is pretty common in all ESP's, they arrive with great setup from the factory. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made for Live playing. Like I said I did have to install strap locks but other than that I have No Doubt that it would withstand Live playing. Locking tuners is something of a choice. I don't think this guitar needs them because it stays in tune very well. It is also depending on how you string your guitar, with the proper stringing you don't need locking tuners. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, metal and sometimes blues. I have been playing on and off for more than 10 years. If something happened to this guitar I would definitely look into another ESP. This guitar made me like and appreciate ESP LTD's a lot more. Depending on how much money I would have to buy another guitar I would look into this model or a more expensive one. However I would stick with a non-tremolo guitar cause I am sick of adjusting floating bridges. I did play a lot of other guitars (Fenders, Jacksons, Gibsons, Epiphones, Ibanezs etc) and I really like ESP's. Very solid guitar with an amazing sound and great value overall (neck-thru for $400, that's rare). Favorite features gotta be the sound and the neck, I just love it. Anything you wish it had? I wish it had a twin brother sitting next to it because what can be better than this guitar? A couple of them. // 9

LTD MH-250NT Reviewed by: Moparandrsfrea2, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Features: Hello, this is my first gear review. I'm new to Ultimate Guitar reviews, so I decided to give one a go and review one of the guitars I own and for anyone who is looking for an affordable rock/metal guitar. The ESP LTD series is a lower-cut series of the original Japanese hand-crafted ESP guitars for the guitar players with slightly smaller wallets. The first guitar I had was an Ibanez RG Series weathered black, which I got at christmas and my second guitar was a definite step-up. The ESP LTD MH-250NT is a definite recommendation for axe players with a smaller budget. The guitar is a cutaway body style and the finish is a smooth, sleek quilted maple top. The colours I believe vary between Black and Sunburst, but knowledge is limited in this area as to what finishes and colours this car can come in. The pickups that came with the guitar when I ordered it were EMG HZ's, which are passive pickups that I believe don't pack as heavier punch as active ones, but they manage to work well will various styles of music and various tones your amp will output. There is a three-way toggle Switch where you can use the high-output bridge pickup to provide more gritt in your rhythm playing and a mid-way toggle option which allows you to combine both tones of the neck and bridge pickup to give a more balanced tone. The inlays are offset blocks with the model of the guitar as the 12th inlay, which I believe is kind of uneccessary and doesn't really stand out as a good 12th fret inlay and lacks in originality. The frets are 24 XJ which means the fret space is wider and allows players with larger fingers to place their fingers more easily on the neck when playing. The neck is very comfortable and smooth for the price of the guitar and is built for a variety of guitar-playing styles. The guitar comes with a volume knob and a tone knob, which operates via a push-pull coil tap and I don't really use tone knobs on a guitar and prefer using my amp to deliver my tone. My setup is fairly basic, a 30 Watt Line 6 Spider III Jam and a Crybaby From Hell Wah, as well as my Behringer Distortion X in the mix. For what the guitar is, it is very good quality. The body is an extended 25.5 scale, providing players with more space and a more feasable guitar to play on. The extended fretboard allows players to reach the higher frets more easily and makes soloing and leads a more simple task. It's certainly better than a bog-Standard electric and also comes with an affordable price tag for the quality and what the guitar comes with itself. It certainly sounds good in the most basic rig such as my one, the strap locks however, could do with changing (maybe upgrade to Dunlop?) and because the guitar is cheap it is more susceptible to wear and tear. It is an expensive guitar (350+ is alot of money) but for a guitar, it is definitely and economic choice. The guitar suits the hard rock, metal style of music, which is what I play and this is a really good guitar for the price. // 8

Sound: I play heavy metal, I play songs by various artists such as Megadeth, Trivium, Anterior, Lamb Of God, Pantera etc. and this guitar certainly suits my needs. It lacks the power of a top-end ESP LTD and the quality of the product is good but lacking something in comparison with more expensive guitars, not neccessairily visually, but the quality of the wood, the thickness of the fretboard and the pickups. I am playing it through my Line 6 30 watt practice amp and it sounds brilliant. I'm using a scooped sound through a metal pre-set channel and it can hold notes well with brilliant sustain and also manages to still sound clean even with the gain cranked all the way up to 11. It can be quite noisy if your picking technique is fairly aggressive and palm muting maybe necessary even when the piece of music your learning doesn't require it. The strings usually have to be a on a slightly low action because making contact with the fretboard is difficult and requires more pressure applied on the strings in order to produce a chord or an arpeggio. The guitar is really aimed at metal players, as with most ESP guitars, but a variety of tones can be achieved with this cost-effective guitar thanks to the 3-toggle pickup selector. The guitar sounds good, but because of the materials used, it doesn't sound as full and bright as a higher-end model. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar that was shipped out to me arrived broken. I don't believe that this was the durability of the guitar as it has taken plenty of knocks in it's time with me, but I simply believe it was a packaging error and got it fixed for free at my local guitar store. The bridge pickup was raised quite high, which meant that the pickups have quite a beefy output when plugged in, although slightly more reserved as mentioned before the pickups are passive and have a less of a kick in comparisson with active pickups. The guitar jack was fairly loose when it arrived, but I tightened it up with a spanner and a screwdriver. Everything else was fine and everything has been fine since. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've never played a gig in my life. I want to be in a band. From my practice sessions (which last between 3-4 hours) it holds up hard and takes a thrashing. I only ever had a few problems with the guitar, which was when I had the guitar delivered to me, thanks to my parents. I believe it was just a packaging error. There was one other issue, which was one of the wires in the jack had gone, but simply needed fixing and after this was done, the guitar played well. The guitar stays in tune great and doesn't go out of tune unless you stand it against a hot Radiator or play it outside when the wind is blowing hard. The finish is actuall very good for the price and this guitar has taken a fair few knocks since I have had it and I only have one very small hairline crack and that was from dropping the guitar on the kitchen floor when my dog started nibbling my toes. The finish will last a long, long time although you do want to make sure you look after it. // 6

Overall Impression: As stated before, I play Metal, Hard Rock and some Blues. I've been playing nearly 2 years and I can honestly say, it is a very good guitar even though I have only owned about 4 guitars in my time of playing, most of them cost-effective guitars. If this guitar was stolen, then I'd get it again and I'd try upgrading it somewhat if I had the funds. What I love about this guitar is how it looks for the cost. It is a much more beautiful creature in person. The only really crap thing about it is that I believe if you've had it for more than 5 years then you will encounter more guitar maintenence issues than usual purely because the guitar is cheap. It certainly holds it own against guitars around 500 and the EMG pickups are a real plus. I didn't really research into it properly, but I would heavily recommend playing one first as it will give you a better idea of whether you want to buy it or not and not base it solely on a review. It is a great guitar for the price and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a powerful, maniacal, electric guitar then this would be it. // 7

LTD MH-250NT Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Music Loft of Wilmington

Features: First of all I'll mention that I am reviewing the Floyd Rose version. This is the MH-250 with a Floyd Rose Special. Same guitar, but with a tremolo. 24 Frets Solid Top Black Flamed Maple Strat Body, Neck through design Passive ESP Humbuckers Volume, Tone (with coil tap) and 3-way pickup selector Pickup Configuration - Neck and Bridge Bridges: Floyd Rose Special (MH-250) String Through (MH-250NT) // 8

Sound: This guitar has Killer sound, clean and distorted. I'm playing through a Peavey Vypyr 30. Clean: I'll pause here to explain what the coil tap does. The coil tap is activated by pushing-pulling the tone knob and disables one of the "pickups" in the humbuckers, effectivly turning them into single-coils. This gives the guitar a more authentic clean sound, used with appropriate levels of delay and reverb this guitar produces a very nice clean sound. Distorted: The stock ESP pickups are a passive imitation of the EMG 81/85's. You will probably end up replacing them down the line, but the stock pickups give surprisingly good tone without the initial pricetag. They handle heavy bass and downtuning very well, aswell as picking pinch harmonics up clearly. When used with a good EQ system and high gain, they give a very nice tone. I'm very satisfied with the sound this guitar makes for the price. It handles everything from clean to heavy distortion without a hitch, and the coil tap makes it just that much better. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is excellent in my opinion. The neck is neither ridiciously thin like some Ibanez guitars, nor too thick to solo effectivly. I purchesed this guitar the day it came out of the box, so what I recieved was factory setup, the store changed nothing. The action was very good; no fret buzz to speak of, nice low strings, and a well setup Floyd. I will mention that the first MH-250 I played had a flawed Floyd Rose tremolo. The trem block was poorly routed, notes could be dropped like normal, but they could be "pulled" about halfway before the trem block hit the wood routing. I'm sure that was an isolated incident though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As always, you should never play a gig without a backup guitar, especialy if your mainstay is equipped with a tremolo. This guitar will definatly withstand live playing. I've owned mine for two years and there are absolutly no scratches, finish flaws, dents, dings, stains ect... This guitar has a beautifull finish that is definatly built to last. Unless you drop it (god forbid!) or set it down on the trem bar, this guitar will stay in top condition for a very long time. About the Floyd Rose: (MH-250 only) I could not find much out about the Floyd Rose "Special", but it seems to be the same thing as ESP-LTD's Licensed Floyd. This is the only part of the guitar I am skeptical about lasting. I have nothing bad to say about it at all, it has stayed in tune perfictly, I only need to tune when I change tunings or strings (and that is WITH liberal use of the tremolo). However... a small patch of the trem finish has worn off from where I rest my hand on the bridge, revealing that this is made of copper with a chrome plating. Something to take note of, but nothing to complain about. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall impression, excellent guitar for metal, not particulary suited appearance-wise for blues or classical, but it can certainly play it. I've been playing metal for over 9 years now, this gutiar definatly pulls it's weight. I was torn between this and an $800 Ibanez, but the only discernable difference was the neck size. Sure the Ibanez had a thinner neck, but I'll gladly trade a few millimeters off my neck for a few centimeters in my wallet. If it were stolen without chance of return I would probably buy a seven-string, but that is more personal preference than a dislike for this guitar. No regrets at all about this guitar; great tone, great action, great looks, what's not to like? The only thing I wish it had was a seventh string :) // 9

LTD MH-250NT Reviewed by: King Koba, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: LA Music

Features: I bought this guitar in 2006 and would assume it was a model from that year. Some of the key features are 24 frets, Neck through, agathis body w/ maple neck, quilted maple top, string thru, with 1 volume and 1 tone knob, and EMG passive pups and a coil tap. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of metal which is what I bought this guitar for. The stock pickups sound decent at lower volumes, when played through my dual rec the tones they produced were flat out unacceptable, noisy and muddy and lacking in tonality when playing leads. I replaced the stock bridge pup for a Duncan Invader (first time using Invader) and was still unimpressed. I may opt to go for active EMG's are DiMarzio's. However the acoustic sound produced when unplugged is something I always look for in a new guitar, and this one did not fall short, probably due to string and neck through design and for this I raised the rating number in this category, because I think with good pickups this would be an excellent axe. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was fine, very playable, finish was quite nice and it plays very comfortably, I did set it up with 11-52 gauge in D Standard a little while later which this guitar handled well. The guitar has no flaws but the hardware will probably need to be replaced down the road, but we're talking a few years down the road. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I bought this guitar to replace an old H-250 I owned that was destroyed. IMO it is not as nice as that guitar was, and it ended up being a backup to my LTD KH-202. I did end up having to play an entire gig with this guitar one night though and it held its tuning quite well and could easily withstand regular gigging and usage. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said I bought this guitar to play metal and I've been playing for 14 years. I really like ESP/LTD guitars, but I have several complaints as well, I do not like how close the volume knob is in proximity to the bridge pickup, because when playing live my hand hits and rolls the volume down. Since buying this guitar I have also gotten a EC-500, where this volume knob problem is not an issue, and the tone of that guitar absolutely destroys this one, the combo of Mahogany and EMG 81/60's is just fantastic. Transversally the shorter scale on the EC-500 isn't ideal as I have hands that are quite large and it gets a bit tight after the 15th fret. But when it boils down to it I'd take the EC-500 over this one any day. If this guitar was stolen I would probably go the extra mile and buy a model like this with a mahogany body, or not, seeing as the EC-500 is pretty fantastic. I actually might end up selling this guitar and going with a more upscale LTD, or an Ibanez For the price this guitar is really quite good, you'd be hard pressed to find a neck thru guitar that looks this good at such a low price, and it's light weight does make it a good option for live playing. With some upgrades this guitar will make a solid axe for most players. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD JH-600 8.7 Electric Guitars 12/22/2014