LTD MH-301 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 03/17/2014 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD MH-301
MH-301 six-string electric guitar featuring EMG-HZ humbucking pickups and a quilted maple top.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 9.5
 9.1
 9.4
 8.8
reviews (6) pictures (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This guitar has it all. If you're into soloing this is one hell of a guitar. First of all it has 24xj frets, which come in handy when doing a solo. The pickup configuration is great with H/H settings. The finish is just amazing for the price. The neck has such a smoothe action to it, you can race from top to bottom on this guitar in less than a second (if you're good at that). // 10

Sound: The guitar has two EMG-HZ pickups in both neck and bridge, and their not that bad, they're really good if you wanna play metal abd yet flexible enough to play in blues. It's so rich in gain and bright in tone, it's amazing. Very, very good sustain. Just awesome for the price. But if you really want that Metallica sound, get EMG 81/60s.1 // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is built for speed, cause it just rips through the competition. The setup on it factory wasn't really bad, it was just a little high. But I adjusted the floyd rose and its much better now. The pickups were perfect. The guitar did have some flaws on it though, when I got it it was missin a screw on the locking nut, but I found it it was sam ash that lost it not the factory. Also another thing kinda pissed me off about it, when I got it the selector Switch was cutting out, so I took it back to get it fixed. Well the model was discontinued and the Switch had to be special ordered. It still needs to be replaced. Other than that the guitar is just AWESOME!!! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable. The hardest thing is keeping the pointed tip untainted, cause it sticks out. The strap buttons are pretty solid, they don't let the strap slip. This is a very reliable piece, not counting the selector Switch prob. I could definitely use this guitar without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very solid, good looking, great sounding guitar. It fits all my music types, which is pretty much everything. It just exlodes when I put it into my Peavey transtube transformer 112, and sound hectic when I plug it into my Korg AX1500G. I compared this to dozens of other guitar including; Jackson guitars, ESP kh-202, Ibanez RG style guitars, and Fender, and this surely takes the cake. Well done ESP ltd. // 10

LTD MH-301 Reviewed by: punkrockgiraffe, on november 15, 2012

Features: This is a 24 fret SOB that originally came with Seymour Duncan Detonators, but i plan to change them into a pair of EMG 81s. That's Kirk Hammett's true sound. It has a 5 way Switch and a volume and tone knobs. Most of this model has a transparent blue finish, but I've also seen it in black. It also has a locked tuning system and a Floyd Rose bridge. The downside of that is that you have to restring the guitar just to drop the tuning a half step. Otherwise, the tremolo is easy to pilot and isn't really sensitive like most Ibanezes tend to be. The Xtra Jumbo frets are also a soloist's dream. Try harmonic minors on it. It's so easy to fret that most solos are easier to play than on Squiers, Fenders, or Gibsons. // 10

Sound: With the Seymour Duncan pickups, you are more set for either a punk sound or a alt rock sound (in the middle positon). Change those guys to EMG 81s, and you have a sound similar to Metallica or latter day Testament. Those are the two companies with the best sounds. Trust me when I say the sound is worth the insane price for a pair ($150-$225). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I've only had this guitar for about 2 1/2 months now, but I'm already noticing some problems with the input jack wiring. It tends to wear out a little easy, but that is nothing compared to new Jackson guitars. Since Jackson was bought out by Fender, they cut corners like crazy, especially in the re-released Randy Rhoads series. Sad but true. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Lets put it this way: This is my prefered performance guitar. It is eye candy, and the feedback is very easy to control, but be careful when you're playing high gain, full volume because even the shortest release of the strings can give powerful feedback. // 10

Overall Impression: I had a choice between a Jackson DXMG or this guitar, and man am I glad I chose this one. Jackson used to be crazy good, but their NEW guitars suck. Only the actual 80's Jacksons are awesome, and I'm jealous of people who have them. ESP guitars are good for faster metal like Metallica, as opposed to slower metal guitars like Ibanez. And I would choose an ESP over a BC Rich anyday of any lifetime. I would cry if this guitar was wrecked or stolen. I like it that much. Solos are incredibly easy, but don't try anything slow, like blues. It simply will not work. The only thing that would make this guitar better is if it had another volume control. Then you could have a killswitch on your pickup Switch. // 10

LTD MH-301 Reviewed by: dico, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Dawsons

Features: - 2003, - Made in Korea, - 24 frets, - Mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard, - Laminated top, - Transparent blue, - Floyd rose bridge, - Passive EMG-HZ's - 1 volume and 1 tone with 5 way selector, - Locking tuners (they're awful though) // 8

Sound: I play mainly metal music which I feel this guitar is made for although having said that it impressed me with how much variety there is with the sound. You can go from warm and full to a very piercing bright sound so to speak and it is rarely ever noisy. I don't know why some people complain about the pickups as I have never really had a problem and with this guitar I found 'my sound' or what was then anyway. It was my first electric and I really liked it as it was perfect for me. ince then my tastes have changed slightly and I'm now onto a PRS Custom 24. I play it through a Roland Cube 30 and then through a mixer out to speakers which gives it a real killer sound (although being a modeller most guitars sound the same through it) and still gives me a great sound even through anything I want. (5150, dual rec etc.) Overall I don't know what the complaints are as far as sound go as many people feel the pickups are crap but I honestly don't see the problem. Yes changing them to 81's makes a difference but in my opinion not enough to warrant a lot of money. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This catergory is a mixed bag of spuds for me in the fact that the finish is one of the best I have ever seen and it is the best guitar I have ever and I mean ever played and believe me I have playe a lot of guitars. For me its just so perfect. However and I mean however, the overall product doesn't feel as well built as the Custom 24 or any other top brand guitar which for the money is expected. The nobs fell off as well but I just screwed tham back on and the locking bridge is awful and I mean bad and also the strings don't stay in tune if you downtune them. You have to keep doing it and then they do eventually but after five or six times and then its the same on the way up as well. But overall I love this guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing although the I don't know whether the hardware would take years of it. The strap buttons are solid and I can depend on it without a backup. As far as the finish goes it is superb and has to be seen to be believed. It's like wow. One thing after a lot of play the fretboard is starting to look a bit cracked although its nothing serious and can be sorted really easily and one more thing, I've not had to change my strings since I bought it which I know I should but there is a really nice mellow feel to it. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is great for my style of music and was superb as a starting point. I now have a couple of PRS' and I think this was a brilliant buy (good job seens as I never got the chance to play or see it before I ordered it, was pure luck). The playability is amazing and perfect for lead but I wish it was a bit better built and I wish it had EMG 81's which the newer version does (this one's now discontinued) so I would strongly reccommend the newer model to anyone although the finish is a bit cheaper if you ask me. I would probably buy it again if it were stolen or lost as I love the damn thing. Overall top notch guitar but not quite a les paul or PRS but then again you're not paying that price are you. // 10

Purchased from: ebay

Features: 24 XJ frets I think it was made in 2003 the styling ofthe body I fairly plane from the front view but up close it is a sick guitar. the finish on this guitar can't be truly enoyed through any picture. the licensed Floyd Rose on mine vis keeping it's tune really well. 5-way selector pickup. // 9

Sound: I like to play Slayer so this guitar suits me pretty well. I play throguh a Randall rg 100 with the stomp box that came with it. It could use a little more tweaking and fuzz. it is great for the best guitar I have ever playedfor the heave chords and the is almost no ringing on the frets. It has goos variety in sound and a lot of options but the best is the ditortion bridge pickup. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: the action I give a 8.5 the fit and finish I give a solid 10+ the guitar feels so solid in my hands. I also have a B\.C\. Rich Bich NJ series and it fealt like a baby in my hands. everything was set up perfectly. the finish on this guitar is so beautiful that I like to det it up in achair across the room so I can look and it and beat my meat. Just kidding but it really is amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this guitar for too long now but it seems real solid. I would bring my bc rich as a backup but only because you can never know what's going to happen. And the strap buttons are set in concrete. The guitar has very few blemishes and the neck through design has no bend. // 9

Overall Impression: i love Slayer and Metallica. this guitar with the right equipment and string width can bring anything i want and for only $225 i dont think i could find a better guitar for the money. as compared to my bc rich this guitar blows it away and i dont even want to talk about my Ibanez RG120 that this is a pile of crap. this is the best guitar i own i sugest getting one no questions asked if you can for under 400 dollars this ax is a beast. i dont regret for one second getting this guitar. it it were stolen i would try to find another one on ebay or buy an mh-400. // 10

Purchased from: sam ash

Features: Neck thru solid body with 24 jumbo frets, 2 - EMG hz pickups/vol/ton/5 way Switch fake Floyd Rose copy trem // 10

Sound: The sound combinations are very versatile. It mimics a single coil Strat or a Les Paul. The pickups are humbuckers with coil tapping on both neck and Bridge so the single coil sound twang is there although not as tight as a tele or chunky and tight like a Les Paul because of the Bridge design (floyd rose) but this is one of those electric guitars that has the versatility to replace many guitars in a collection or a single do all guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It has a similar Gibson style 60's slim tapered maple neck/rosewood that is very comfortable and never tiring. Jumbo frets are high like bass frets and string bending is a breeze and slippery like your on ice. The eurathane finish is nice and shiny. A very comfortable body design that feels good either standing up or sitting down. This guitar was assembled in korea a very nice suprise and whoever built it must of had a good day. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Been using it for over 5 years as a road gig guitar. Only problem I had was the 5way selector Switch and the cheap clamping style Bridge saddles that strip out when you over use and torque them down. This is the ONLY weak link on this guitar. ESP sent out replacements at no cost to me all saddles on the cheap trem and upgraded 5way selector switch. I Replaced them myself but I had enough with the stock poor trem sys and installed a real goodness LOPRO trem by Floyd Rose and it only needed a minor cavity routing but this time around there is no more stripped screws there is no more trem not returning to nuetral there is no more dull blade on the trem there is no not returning in tune when pulling up or down. The real floyd really makes this guitar Shine it flutters just like brad gilli's Strat from night ranger. Very handy to have and I also had a trem kill block installed so it behaves like a fixed Bridge electric when not using the trem it effectively parks the trem so you can play the blues and bend up high with out throwing off adjacent strings out of tune so it is real handy to get the trem block regardless if it is a cheap trem or the real trem. // 10

Overall Impression: Been playing over 35 years. I have real Gibsons, Fenders, Peavey etc etc. Each for a specific style of music. Could there be a do all guitar? This model I believe can do it! The only thing it can't do is sound like an Acoustic Martin but really this is a jem of a guitar that once the trem and maybe tuners replaced it will be unbeatable! Definetly change the tuners, trem and the weak 5way Switch and you will have a great sounding and playing electric capable of anything. Get this guitar you will love it! // 10

LTD MH-301 Reviewed by: HeadHunter44, on march 17, 2014

Features: I recently bought an ESP LTD MH-301, and let me tell you something: this rig is built for magic. Mine was manufactured in 2005 in Korea. It's got 24 extra-jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard on top of a thin U-shape, smooth-as-hell maple neck with a double cutaway body that make it so incredible for hitting those leads. It's got a lightweight Mahogany body with an absolutely BEAUTIFUL quilted maple top (mine has a blood-red finish). It comes with a Licensed Floyd Rose bridge and EMG HZ-H1's or H4's (depending on the model year). It's got a 5-way mega-switch for a very wide variety of tones, one volume and one tone knob and that's about it. // 10

Sound: This beast of a guitar sounds absolutely awesome. I was a little skeptical about the Hz's at first, just because I don't much care for passive pickups. I plan on switching to a pair of 81 85's someday, but for now I'm set. EMG did a very good job with the Hz's; they have enough kick and output to play Pantera and Metallica to black metal and hardcore, yet rich and "creamy" enough to play blues and jazz. I play everything from Pink Floyd to Iron Maiden to Children of Bodom, and write my own stuff, and this thing does it all. The LFR is well manufactured and does pretty well with those "Dime squeals." I run mine through a Line 6 Spider 5 (Jam) with an FBV Express MKII pedal board, and am completely satisfied with the sound I'm getting. (Though, with passives, I would recommend high volume on whatever you run it through for the best sound). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar used, but it was set up pretty well. The action was absolutely perfect, I had to adjust the pickups a smidge, but overall the setup was good. I did, unfortunately, have a major problem with the strings going out of tune any time I so much as bumped the bridge. If I divebombed, it would go about a note flat, if I pulled back on it, it would go about a note sharp. Ridiculous. But I took it to a guitar store and had it repaired and restrung, and now it holds tune through the most ruthless of torture on that whammy bar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can sit and play on this puppy for hours and not have any issues with it, so I would most definitely say it would survive years of live play. You may need to replace some hardware somewhere down the road; I know mine, at least, is looking a little weathered... a little. But it's also almost 10 years old. And after 10 years, the guitar itself is ABSOLUTELY astonishing. Beautiful. I would use this guitar, and this guitar only for the rest of my life. I'll be burried with it. Honestly, unless I was playing songs tuned differently (the inability to quickly change tune is the one thing I can't stand with a Floyd Rose bridge), I would only use this one live. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, my impression on this guitar is: WOW. I have never been happier with a guitar (and amp setup for that matter). And I've owned a few in my day. Schecter, Ibanez, Dean, Washburn, Peavey, Jackson, none of them have been equal to this. ESP does the BEST manufacturing of guitars (in my opinion). I've been playing for over half of my life, so that means something. I love everything about this guitar, and the only problem with it has been the knife edge on the bridge wearing over time, causing the tuning issue. (Which should be expected from a Licensed FR. I plan on someday getting an Original FR for it). If I could have 2 or 3 of the same, I would. I knew, from the beginning, that it would be ESP or another Schecter for me, but you will get the MOST bang for your buck out of LTD. I will advise everyone I know to shoot for the MH models. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014