LTD MH-327 Review

reviews (4) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
LTD MH-327 Reviewed by: bassisto, on november 16, 2012

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: B-Sharp Music

Features: This stunning 2011 model made in Korea. As the model name suggests it has 27 frets. Well it tapers off to 25 on the lower strings but 27 frets for soloing. There is an extra bevel cut into the body to allow easier access to the high frets. The Strat style body is a mahogany with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. The frets are extra jumbo. The neck is what ESP calls 'Thin U' which is ok, but I would prefer a little more beef. Hard to go wrong with a sexy black finish with a sparkly-creame binding. It has a Floyd Rose Special bridge, one master volume and master tone with a push/pull pot for coil tapping. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and Custom 5 in the neck and bridge respectively. // 8

Sound: Now this will sound cliche for a review on here but I play a wide variety of styles, albeit mostly rock based. I play through a Mesa Express 5/50 and a myriad of effects. All things considered I really love the sound. Now the Hot Rail may not be the most preferable neck pickup for smooth rich cleans, but it does work, having the coil tap option really helps a clean sound. For distorted neck pickup soloing the Hot Rail is absolutely great. The Custom 5 has a little more beef than most bridge pickups that I prefer. More bass than a JB for a nice thick sound. May not have the craziness required of a bridge pickup for the heaviest of metals but I can cruise through most classic metal sounds with it. With the coil tap engaged and both pickups selected, it almost gives a second position Strat sound (bridge/middle), not quite, but sufficient. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was ok, but the guys at the shop gave me a free setup so its set exactly the way I like it. No flaws in anything on this guitar, looks and feels great. My only gripe is I prefer a maple neck with just an oil finish, but I'll live. The only thing that I wish it had was the Original Floyd Rose, it just feels smoother than the special. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played the guitar live a couple times with great results, no noise issues and a lot of compliments. The hardware is solid as are the strap buttons. I don't think I've ever gone to a gig with less than 3 guitars for sounds and backups. I've had no reliability issues with it. Maybe if I really started abusing it would wear faster, but that's just not me. // 8

Overall Impression: The guitar is one of my favourites and the Custom 5 is rapidly becoming a favourite pickup of mine. I like a guitar I can pickup and play Van Halen, Metallica then coil tap it and play something more mellow without touching anything other than volume and maybe a little more or less drive. I essentially bought the guitar because I thought it looked sweet and I was given a few days by the store owner to try it out and decide if I liked it. Anyway been rockin this for almost a year already and it still feels like a guitar I just bought and I'm always excited to play. // 9

LTD MH-327 Reviewed by: Motley Lou, on november 16, 2012

Features: Made in china, it has 27 frets. Only on the G, B, E string can access the 27th fret. The Fret board is cut to an angle. I do a lot of finger tapping and I hardly ever go up to the 27th fret. But however I like this feature. It gives better access to the 24th fret. Mahogany body, maple neck. Rosewood Fret board. One thing about this guitar is the Fret wire. It is very thick. I went for the STR finish, (see through red), It looks way cooler in person than it does in any picture I could find. The guitar also has a cream binding around the body, neck, head. It has a Floyd Rose Special. And a locking nut on the neck. All the metal work on it is Black Nickel. Very nice finish in them. 3 way selector switch, Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge, Seymour Duncan HOT Rail in in the neck. ESP tuners. Also included a cardboard box. // 10

Sound: It has a great sound, I play a lot of heavy metal/glam metal. A lot of dive bombs and pinches. And it does them very well. I will be upgrading the Floyds block to a Big Brass Block pretty soon. The Guitar has a massive range of sounds you can dial in from the push/pull coil tapping feature. That is a major plus. Can go from extreme distortion to crystal Strat Vintage sounding. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar wasn't set up out of the box. I re-strung it. And started the MOT from the bottom. I found it weird that the Floyd rose wouldn't balance with 3 springs, even after adjusting the claw. So I put an extra spring in. Now has 4 and stays perfectly in tune and perfectly balanced. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it long enough to judge the reliability and durability of it, But the hardware is all solid on it. And seams like it will last forever. I will be surprised if it doesn't last another 30 years from now. It recently got used in an open mic night and a couple of people requested to use it. It gave me a chance to sit back and see how it sounds in someone else hands in a different style. I was impressed on ho it performed. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Heavy Metal and Glam Metal. I am also a guitar tutor. I use this for my sessions with the clients and with my band. There's nothing it can't do with the pick up configuration. Everyone that has seen it instantly asks if they can have a go and always comment how cool it looks and how much they love it. If your thinking of buying it. Go ahead. I got mine for free. But you can find it for about 690. It is worth every penny. If it was stolen I would make it my priority to get another. // 10

LTD MH-327 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 16, 2012

Features: Not quite sure when it was made but it is made in China. It really isn't that bad, I know many bash Chinese-made guitars, but ESP really makes sure that their guitars are top-notch. The neck is a 25.5" scale neck thru maple neck. It has 27 XJ frets on a rosewood fingerboard and it has kind of a thin U shape to it. It has an amazingly gorgeous flamed maple top (mine's in red). The black and red really contrast beautifully. It has a Mahogany body that is fairly lightweight. It has a Foyd Rose Special Bridge (more on that later). ESP tuners. Has two humbuckers, a Seymour Duncan Custom-5 in the bridge and a HOT Raul in the neck. Volume and a push-pull tone pot and a 3-way PU selector. // 8

Sound: I don't really have a style (this may sound like every other review) I just play anything and everything, although I play quite a lot of metal (BFMV and the such). I do play a lot of rock and sometimes blue and other kinds of music. I'm currently using it with a Bugera 6262-212. 27 frets is a good thing IMO because it allows for easier access to the higher frets and it is easier to tune down and just capo up (For example my The bridge PU is really HOT IMO but it is really good for leads and solos. It sounds really nice especially when you get to the higher range of the guitar, it does not get too schreechy or anything. The problem I see however is that it maybe too bright especially on clean settings. The middle PU setting is really nice for cleans and is good for rhythm in rock and genres that need that little bit of clarity when distorted. The neck PU is definitely a dark sounding PU but does not get too muddy like some other neck PU. The guitar has a push-pull to split the PU into single coils. It's very useful for cleans, I mainly use it with the middle and neck settings to get really clear and nice sounding clean tones. The guitar is pretty versatile considering the selection of pickups and the fact that it has a push-pull, which doesn't necessarily turn it into a strat, but will get the job done in most cases. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guys at Axe Music setup the guitar for me so it didn't have any problems when I got it. Some problems that I have picked up though are: -some of the binding isn't proper and has little protrusions, causing my high "e" to sometimes get stuck on it, -some of the frets where not properly filed, -the volume pot came off after a few months and there was a small scratch on the headstock. For the most part I can deal with these, they didn't bother me too much. The only thing I have with this guitar is the Floyd. The Floyd Rose is a Special, meaning it is of low quality, really low quality. The bridge, when properly set up, does the job pretty damn well, however, it gets out of tune quite easily, the arm is constantly getting loose (even by just moving it out of the way), and the locking nut sometimes gets loose, causing problems in tunings. If it had an OFR, this guitar would be amazing, but the special just kinda lowered the value of this thing. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I don't preform live anymore although I believe that this guitar can hold up live playing. The strap buttons are pretty solid, but getting strap locks would be wise. Like every situation, you should always have a backup, just in case! This guitar can hold up, but remember the Floyd, one broken string=one useless guitar! The finish seems really durable and isn't too thin, it's just right. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall pretty solid guitar. I love it and it is a joy to play. I've been playing for just over 6 years now. If this was stolen/lost, I may look into possibly buying something an OFR, possibly a BC Rich as I had originally intended in buying a Mockingbird but somehow came back home with this haha. Love everything about it except the bridge. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who's into metal and rock and the such, however, if you don't have any experience with Floyd's don't let this be your first, stick with a hard tail instead! // 8

LTD MH-327 Reviewed by: VoiDukkha, on march 11, 2013

Price paid: € 666

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: NOT made in Korea: As far as I know most models (at least those you can buy in Europe) are made in China; the MH-327 is furthermore also being produced in Indonesia; someone on the official ESP forum claims that the Indonesian factory produces slightly better guitars than the Chinese factory (see Action, Fit & Finish). Mine was made in China. I got the BLK, so the black one. I'm not going to copy paste a spec sheet here. Giving it a 10 in Features mainly because of the Floyd Rose and Seymour Duncan pickups. // 10

Sound: I play: Aggressive blues->rock->hard->metal and (neo)classical(shred). I can't play blues on this guitar because of the Floyd Rose (you bend one string-> the other 5 are out of tune) as well as the pickups. This guitar is made for metal (orly..). You can play Jazz with this guitar using the coil tab and the neck pickup: sounds very neat playing clean and has a warm sound. The neck thru gives good sustain "as expected". The neck thru is made of maple whilst the body (-wings) are mahogany; that gives a sound comparable to a Gibson LP in the heights (which I like very much). The sound of the MH-327 is very balanced although I think a bit weaker in the lower middles. The depths are rich and strong as expected from a metal guitar. I'm giving it a 8/10 which for this price is really ok. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was practically *no* factory setup BUT bridge intonation; the bridge intonation is just right and I don't know how they managed to do that with everything else bout the setup being complete crap; I spent 90 minutes tuning the strings the guitar came with to standard E and adjusting the Floyd Rose so its parallel to the body. Flaws: almost a cliche "made in China" finish! (I'll leave you with the details: e.g. loose controls, scruffily polished fret-ends, cosmetic stuff,..); I mean it wasn't *that* bad, but just what you'd expect the difference between ESP (e.g. handmade) and LTD (e.g. Made in nowhere factory made) to be. Fortunately no flaws that would have a significant influence on the sound. Pickups ok, Floyd Rose ok; also I wouldn't complain about the *special* (although I don't know the original); it does exactly what I want no matter how rough I treat it. (And it stays in tune, ofc). // 5

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it long enough to judge the reliability and durability of it, but the hardware is all solid on it. And seams like it will last for quite a few years. It does not look like anything would conk up spontaneously in the near future. At least nothing that I couldn't fix with a screwdriver. // 8

Overall Impression: I was looking for *my* guitar for months; I bought this one because of its features; heres what I wanted: Floyd Rose, mahogany body, neck-thru, a humbucker + a single coil (or HHS or HSS) - and all of that in *one* guitar for about 600-800 euro! And I found it: the MH-327, and I'm satisfied :) I like the 27 frets; it (and the lack of a heel thanks to the neck-thru) makes playing up to fret 24 comfortable, which means: more room when improvising! The price/performance ratio of this guitar is O.K. Imo, you get the quality of sound you pay for. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014