LTD MH-50 Review

8.4
reviews (6) pictures (1) 47 comments vote for this gear:
LTD MH-50 Reviewed by: freddaahh, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: www.Thomann.de

Features: I bought this guitar as my first electric guitar, I did it as a chnge from playing thrash metal on an acoustic. I got a good discount from Thomann and I was really pleased with the result. When I first picked it up it felt natural and easy to play. It is equipped with 24 jumbo frets and they are on a rosewood fingerboard and a maple neck. The body has a black glossy black finish and it is shaped really well. It is a srat shape with a descending curve to the edgesa all around. The only drawback of it is that it is made out of agathis; it's a cheap wood, but not a bad one and surprisingly it has nice acoustics when unplugged. there is a Floyd Rose locking trem and that is great, it can drop the notes on the low strings a couple of octaves and it pulls the strings up about 5 frets. The pickups aren't awesome but they are a pair of good pickups. They are ESP LH-150s and slightly trembly, but when you put the selector on the neck pickup it sounds good and heavy. The selector and controls are fine, there is one tone and one volume control and the selector is a three way. The site I bought it from didn't include any accessories but you can probably get some with other sites. // 9

Sound: I play a mixture of thrash metal, death metal and metalcore. The guitar fits the thrash and death metal mix perfectly, but it isn't so good for gindcore or anything like that. If you want to get the Metallica/Slayer/Arch Enemy sound it is perfect. I use a Fender 30watt sometimes with reverb and surprisingly, when you put the treble and bass on full and the mid on zero, it sounds really good and even better when you put a decent pedal in the works. The pickups, like I said, are cheap but they produce little feedback and you can stop playing for a while without intrusive feedback building. But if you don't enjoy these pickups or want better ones, like I do, there is plenty of room to fit in EMGs which will aid the sound instantly. The guitar is designed for metal but you can get a nice clean tone out of it and if you do some fiddling with the sounds you can pull off AC/DC riffs and even Skynard riffs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had been nicely put together at the factory, without any rusting, faults in the finish or dents. But the action is a bit too big, even though I do enjoy it, many people will dislike it. The fretwire is filed well and there is no scratching or intrusive sounds from the fretboard. But there I sometimes some noise from the selector and Floyd Rose. The arm can be slightly loose but screw it tightly and it is as accurate and reliable as any could be. The rest of the controls are well secured and are quiet when adjusted. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't taken this guitar to any gigs but it's been beaten slightly at band meets and rehearsals. The hardware is tough and it seems like it'll last. I'd use it at a show without a spare as long as I check the strap buttons, because they sometimes slip and I'd screw on the trem arm tightly. I have already dented it and the finish hasn't worn away at all; and it seems like it'll stay for a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: The guitar is a perfect match ofr a metal guitarist, it can pull of other syles but it is designed for metal. It is the only electric I own and I don't feel like I need another immediately. My favourite feauture on it would be the bridge, the fine tuning Tool makes things simple and you can get so much range with the trem. I had always wanted an Ibanez, but when I discovered ESP I immediately changed my views, ESP make higher quality instruments, more versatile guitars and are much more suited to the metal world than Ibanez. I will play this guitar for a long time and stick with ESPs. // 10

LTD MH-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: My guitar is a 2007 model that was made in china (which is stamped on the back of the headstock) with the liscensed Floyd Rose tremolo. It has 24 jumbo frets on a 25.5" scale neck. The pickups are the passive, ESP LH-150 humbucker set, with a volume, tone, and 3-way switch. Mine has a black finish with a rosewood fretboard and agathis body. On a side note, it was in perfect tune when I got it and I only have to make minor adjustments after every 2-3 days of playing (I play 4-5 hours a day). // 9

Sound: I currently am running my MH-50 through a Weeping Demon, followed by a Boss Metalzone and into my Crate XT-15R. I play many different styles of music, primarily thrash metal (Metallica, Trivium) and this guitar lets me play it all. I use the neck pickup, which I adjusted from the original position by pulling it closer to the strings and adding more treble to the tone. The 24 fret neck is smooth and fast although, you might want to adjust the action because the E, A, and D strings were pretty buzzy when I first got it. The clean sound is great, all you have to do is pull back on the volume a little inorder to get a real warm bluesy sound. All in all it sounds great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup fine when I first got it, I only had a few complaints, mainly because I'm a tone freak. First thing I did straight out of the box was plug in and start adjusting my pickups. Since I play lead guitar, I pulled the bridge pickup down about 1/8 of an inch so the strings wouldn't hit it when I pulled up on the tremolo. Then I set up the bridge pickup so it would have higher output (adds overdrive sounds to my distortion) and have the high I need to shred while still being able to chunk along to gallops. The action was a little low at first, but that's more a matter of personal taste. But overall it was set up fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live with this guitar yet, unless you count showing off for maybe 15 people at once. But I have dropped this guitar down stairs and had it fall out of a van, but it isn't even scratched yet. In fact it wasn't even out of tune after I dropped it down the stairs after playing for 3 hours. // 10

Overall Impression: I loved this guitar from the moment I pulled it out of the box. It is beautiful you should go buy it now. No, not should, will, you will go buy this guitar now, or face the consequences! What? You refuse? I'll flame your ass, mortal! // 10

LTD MH-50 Reviewed by: kOoL AiD2420, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: musciansfriend.com

Features: This is my first electric guitar that I've bought. It was made in Indonesia, 2007 model with locking tremolo. It has 24 jumbo frets, maple/rosewood neck, basswood body, and ESP LH-150 pickups. It has a volume, tone, and three-way selector switch. The guitar is a very solid guitar I love it, it came in perfect tune, and really didn't have to mess with it to much. Although, when I first decided to switch out the strings the Floyd Rose gave me quite a bit of trouble. So I would recommend if you don't know how to restring a floyd getting it done professionally. I now have it set back up and it holds tune perfect with minor adjustments. // 9

Sound: I play pretty much any style of music that I find I feel I can play. Anywhere from Atreyu, A7X, GnR, to Brad Paisley or Johnny Cash. It keeps up pretty well with how I play. Sure it doesn't give that good acoustic sound, I just turn my tone knob all the way down on the bridge and it gives me a decent acoustic sound. It is however better for the hard stuff. Atreyu and A7X sound great on this guitar with loads of distortion. I run it through a Roland Cube 15X and Boss DS-2 Turbo. The sound is great from cleans to dirty. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said from factory it was in perfect tune. Very well setup from ESP and very well packaged. I had it shipped to Iraq and it got here without a scratch. So yeah, job well done ESP! The pups I've raised just a little to get a harder sound although from factory they were still in a good setting. The only flaw so far is the output jack for the cable is kinda crappy. It comes undone and goes up in the guitar sometimes. So that kinda sucks, but really not to hard a fix. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with it yet but I believe it would do well for live playing. All the hardware other than the minor output jack problem are great. The only thing it could use if you care on how it looks would be a pickguard. Mine is getting pretty beat up from picks but with a little polish all is fixed. // 9

Overall Impression: I love my guitar and am very happy with the choice I made. I will continue to purchase from ESP not let down at all! If this was stolen I'm not sure if I would buy this exact one, I would probably go for the EC-1000 from ESP. Not becuase of the guitar, I just love that one too. // 10

LTD MH-50 Reviewed by: a7xfanboy123, on november 15, 2012

Features: This is my second electric guitar. Basic features of this guitar include a Floyd Rose Special on mine (So it's one of the newer ones), 24 XJ frets, Rosewood fingerboard, Maple, neck, Bolt-On construction, Black finish, Two passive ESP LH-150 Humbuckers, one volume, one tone, and a 3 way switch. This guitar did not come with a case. // 10

Sound: I play Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, and Metallica mostly. The guitar is perfect for all of them. Great heavy sound coming through when playing it. I use a discontinued Yamaha DG 80-112 and everything works out great. Distortion, it sounds great. No fret buzz. Clean, as clean as it can be. Little feedback, so there's no annoying sound after you done playing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was great from the start. No faults when opened from the box. Just it was slightly out of tune, but I fixxed it immediatly. So my guitar was like a near perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I use this as a practice guitar, but soon a live guitar. Hardware lasts a long time.You can do anything to this and it'll still look good. But what you really want to depend on is the floyd. The floyd will not go out of tune. No matter what you do! I've sat down playing it 5 hours a day divebombing and bending it and it doesn't go out of tune! So the floyd is reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I wanted this guitar from when I laid eyes on it.This guitar was the right choice for metal/hard rock. Divebombs are good, no fret buzz, little feedback, and at a cheap price! I've looked around everywhere for a cheap guitar. I searched Ibanez and Jackson, but nothing can match the quality and price of ESP. This guitar doesn't disappoint. // 10

LTD MH-50 Reviewed by: Black Tide, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: This review will be rated as compared to other guitars in this price range (Behringer, Peavey, Ibanez Gio, Squier, Epiphone, B.C. Rich, etc..). It costs $289.00 USD new. My guitar is around a 2006-2007 model, I'm not sure exactly what year though. It has 24 jumbo XJ frets, which are preferred for metal. The scale is 25.5 inches. The neck is bolt on, not neck thru body like you see on some more expensive guitars. The finish is high gloss black on a superstrat body with deep cutaways so you can reach the higher frets easily. Pickups are ESP LH-150 humbuckers. The pickup selector is three way and there is one volume and one tone knob. Mine cames with a Floyd Rose licensed tremolo (not the real thing), but newer models come with Floyd Rose specials (real thing, though not as good as Floyd Rose original). Floyd Rose Locking nut and ESP tuners. Strap buttons are fine, though I would suggest strap locks to be safe. The woods are as follows: Body: Basswood Neck: Maple Fingerboard: Rosewood // 9

Sound: The pickups are fine for for the price, ESP does offer EMG's on a lot of their guitars, but they are $200+ more than this guitar, so the pickups are good. This guitar is made for metal and that is what it does best. Sounds good with distortion, but also has a nice tone for clean. Not much sustain on this guitar due to the floyd, but if you want sustain you can get a non FR for cheaper anyways. The Floyd raises the range of the guitar and creates a whole new selection of sounds including the famed dive bomb. Don't be fooled by the metal looks though, because this guitar has a nice blues sound too. The tone knob has quite a bit of range to it. at one end it sounds slightly muted and the other has a sound that sticks out, good for lead guitar playing. Very versatile guitar, sounds even better with the right amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The actions is right where I like it, but it can be raised or lowered just by turning some screws on the bridge. I have no idea how you like you pickups, but the height on them can be raised or lowered by turning two screws. All the hardware is great quality and looks pretty good too. A well built guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is well built and can take a beating. The finish holds up well and although I haven't played any shows with it, I wouldn't be afraid to use it for one. Very dependable, stays in tune well because of locking nut, though if you remove this you are screwed for tuning as it doesn't hold it for more than a day. Like I said before, the strap buttons are fine, but if you are playing live I would get strap locks to be safe. // 9

Overall Impression: Great guitar for the metal or hard rock guitarist, also good for beginners or as a backup. Looks very good and sounds good too. My favorite part of it would have to be the Floyd Rose tremolo, because it greatly increases what you can do with the guitar and creates extremely unique sounds. Pros: Floyd Rose (If you're into that), fast neck, two octave fretboard, locking nut. Cons: Floyd Rose (If you are a fan of sustain), pickups (not amazing but get the job done), simple electronics (no individual tone and volume adjustment). The gist of it is that this guitar is good, it just depends on what you want to play. I would definitely recommend it to someone. Only thing I wish it had is EMG pickups, but you can upgrade to those yourself. // 9

LTD MH-50 Reviewed by: Nachos911, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: Here are the features: -2004 model, Made in Indonesia -24 Jumbo frets -Solid Body Electric -Strat body style -ESP Licensed Floyd Rose Rose Double Locking Trem. -Two ESP LH-150 Humbuckers -3 way selector,1 Volume and 1 Tone knob -ESP Tuners -Glossy Black Finish // 9

Sound: Ok, so this is my first review, so go easy on me. This guitar suits my style perfectly, but it might not suit yours. This guitar is more of metal guitar, but has a bit of rock style in it too. If you want to buy this guitar because your favorite guitarist Kirk Hammett, or your favorite band is Metallica, this is probably a good guitar for you. Although, I would also highly recommend the M-series from ESP if your a Kirk fan. I love using Crybaby wah with this guitar, it sounds pretty nice for classic metal wah songs or solos. This guitar can also get really nice with distortion. It has a really nice, full, and rich sound. It can make a great diversity of sounds, you just have to know the technique to do these tricks to make the sounds. The sounds mostly can be made by using the Floyd on it. But all of these sweet things won't be playable right out of the box. Read the next section about setup. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I would recommend taking the guitar to a local music store to get it set up, ask your guitar teacher to set it up (my teacher did mine for free, your's might possibly do to), or take it to PROFESSIONAL guitar builders to get it set up. Overall, you should probably get it set it up to greatest amount you can. If you do this, there won't be any fret buzz, very nice sound, great action, and great playing. There's also the Floyd Rose. This will have average tuning stability out of the box, but after setup, it'll be awesome so you can do crazy divebombing and other tricks and stay in PERFECT tune. There were just a few minor flaws when I first got it, such as loose tuning pegs, extremely high action, and a few other unnoticeable ones, but that was it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is the only guitar I gig with because my copy Strat won't meet my gigging needs and this is an awesome guitar to gig with anyways. The hardware will probably last for the next 20 years (maybe I'm over exaggerating, but it will last along time). The Floyd will especially last a long time, even though it's a licensed one. The strap buttons are pretty decent compared to other guitar. I definetly wouldn't need a backup for this guitar, it's VERY reliable. It's not wearing off either, even though I agressivly play on it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great guitar for the price... AS LONG AS YOU GET IT SETUP. This was my second guitar and I've been playing it for about 2 years. I loved it's tuning stability, nice headstock, and awesome Strat body. If this guitar was stolen, OF COURSE I would buy it again. My favorite part is the licensed Floyd Rose, I love doing tricks on it such as Dime squeals, divebombing, etc. But mainly, if your idol is Kirk Hammett of Metallica, this is guitar is probably what you would like. BEST 2ND GUITAR EVER! // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD F-50 8.3 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014