LTD MH-50NT Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD MH-50NT
It has a full 5 octaves with 24 XJ frets on a rosewood fretboard. The body style is Strat and it is made out of basswood.
 Features: 8.5
 7.3
 9.3
 5.2
reviews (2) pictures (1) 62 comments vote for this gear:
LTD MH-50NT Reviewed by: spartan2996, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Richmond Music Center

Features: I'm not sure when the guitar was made, but it was in Indonesia. It has a full 5 octaves with 24 XJ frets on a rosewood fretboard. The neck itself is maple, and has a very thin U shape contour which I found has been very helpful for speedy playing. The body style is Strat and it is made out of basswood. String-thru body, and ESP Standard Tuners. There is two knobs, volume and tone, and a three way pickup selector. The pickups are ESP LH-150s. It is a Transparent finish, the action is fine. // 8

Sound: She has a roarin' "Ride the Lightning" sound to it, great for all types of metal. I personally use it for bands such as Metallica, All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine and Van Halen. The only one it has even slight problems is the bands on the lighter side of Metal, like Van Halen. It gets a little twangy on clean channels on the bridge pickups, but this is to be expected. The low power chords seem to rip through the room and it solos very well also. It makes a good variety of sounds, depending on the effects you're using. I do have a little more trouble hitting the pinch harmonics on it though for some reason. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly, the action is fine, and the pickups have not required any further adjustment. The metal rings that protect the strings are often dropped :/...but that in only when changing strings and while being a hassle, it in no way affects playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware will without a doubt last awhile, the strap buttons are solid, and it has withstood quite a few encounters with my ceiling fan. :/ ooops. I would without a doubt be able to use this without a back up during a gig, and the paint has stayed on through accidental abuse and anger alike. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 2 years now....and this is the best guitar I've ever played. Which may not be saying much, I could see myself playing this guitar twenty years from now. I also own a crappy Squire Strat, a Marshall MG50DFX and Marshall MG10CD, a Zoom G2 Effect Simulator, and a MXR Phase 90. I compared this guitar to many guitar alike, none of which could emanate the same sound as this one. And for the price I payed, I could of bought 4 of them before buying a comparable Gibson or Epiphone. The only thing I sometimes wish it had was a Floyd Rose tremolo, but the string-thru helps it acquire its tone, so I'm not too discouraged by this. Overall it is a great guitar and would love to add more guitars like it to my collection. // 10

LTD MH-50NT Reviewed by: Mprinsje, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: www.thomann.de

Features: Well, i purchased this guitar in 2010, and had to wait for it a couple of weeks (3) because it wasn't in stock, so i guess it is made in 2010. I will rate things looking at the value for money, so if i give it a 10, it means it's worth a 10 (in my opinion) for 250 euros. Also, i'm not english, so forgive my mistakes. here's a short list of features -made in 2010 -superstrat style body -agathis body -Bolt on, Maple neck, 25.5 inch scale. -rosewood fingerboard -24 frets, Dot inlay, model name at 12th fret. -arched top -"black cherry" finish (metallic red) -string-thru body -standard non-locking ESP tuners -2 humbuckers, Both ESP 150 -1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way pickup selector -hardware color: chrome -came with 2 allen keys. i like the features of it, the body has a nice contours at the back, so it plays nice when you sit down. Also it has a nice contour at the bottom-cutaway, it really helps reaching the top frets easier. this guitar plays and sounds much better then i expected it would. the finish is quite nice, it is metallic red, and is all nice and shiny. the neck feels really well, it's thinner than the neck of my Epiphone g-400, but thicker than my Ibanez-RG7321. I suppose it would be good to shred on, but i won't find that out, because i don't shred as i'm more of a rhytm player. the strapbuttons on this are quite big, and my strap won't come off easily. However, when i start to gig again, i will be changing them for some decent straplocks, because i tend to jump around a lot. it didn't came with a lot of accesoiries, just 2 allen keys, but i really didn't expect that for 250 euros. the strings on it where 09-46, which i changed the day i got it for 11-52, because i use this guitar for droptunings. the pickups are quite nice, not top notch, but pretty good. however, it is equiped with 2 of the same 'buckers, so that's not so good for versatility. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal and hardcore, but I also record guitars for a breakcore/dubstep project with a friend of mine. I try to play as much varied stuff as possible, so if it's good, I play it. It handles metal and hardcore really well, it has a really good distorted sound on the bridge humbucker, pretty bright and tight, it can do a good hardcore sound, like born from pain or something, and even a deathmetal sound like decapitated, if you spend some time tweeking your amps EQ. However, the neck pickup sounds pretty similar but not as tight, it doesn't sound warmer or something, so I use the neck pickup very little when on distortion. On clean however, the difference between the pickups is a lot bigger, and the neck pickup gives a nice warm sound, while the bridge pickup is a lot brighter and kinda chimey. I use a Line-6 Floorpod with a Fender FM 212R, which sounds cool, however I played it on a friends Peavey 6505, and it sounds totally stunning for 250 euros. Thanks to the great distorted sound, I use this as my main metal guitar, which I use for tunings ranging from drop c to drop a#. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came out of the box pretty well. I don't know if they set-up the guitar at the shop where I bought it from (thomann) or if it came like this from the factory. It was horribly out of tune however, but I didn't mind, because I changed the strings as soon as it arrived. The action was a bit too high for my liking, so I lowered that, and now it plays great! The bridge pickup was a little too low, so screwed it up a little, to make the artificial harmonics sound better. The build quality looks really good, no scratches or dents or whatever. The only flaw I found was a really small nut at the low E string, I couldn't even get a .52 string in, but I filed it out and now it fits just fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definately seems like it will withstand live playing, I haven't got the chance to find out, because I quit the band I was in 2 weeks before I got it. The hardware looks like it'll last to me, the tuners hold tune pretty well. The strap buttons are pretty big, better anyway than the ones that came on my Epiphone g-400, but I will change the strapbuttons as soon as I get in a band again for straplocks, because I tend to be really active on stage, and guitars tend to take some sort of a beating with me. The finish looks like it will last, it still looks like new. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for metal/hardcore, which is mainly what is use it for. I have been playing for about 8 years, however, I have only be playing 3 years really actively, first 5 years were on an Acoustic guitar and I didn't do anything on it in my spare time. I play this through a Line-6 floorpod and a Fender FM212R, which sounds pretty good foor metal of you eq it right. I further own an Epiphone g-400, Ibanez RG7321 (7string), an ugly green Richwood strat, a Squier P-Bass (don't know the exact model, and a no-name acoustic. I have always used the Epiphone as my main guitar, but when this came it replaced the Epiphone as my main guitar. It was a choice between this, a LTD EC-50 a LTD MH-50 with floyd or a LTD M-50, they all played great and sounded cool, but I liked this ones arched top and headstock more. Also, in the end I found out that a Floyd Rose wouldn't be handy since I change tunings a lot. if it were stolen, I would be really sad, and I would buy another one. I really like this guitar, it is my new fave, the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that is has two of the same pickups, because that limits the tonal variety. I think I'm gonna change the bridge pickup with an EMG-81 or something, when I have the money for it. All in all, this is a great metal guitar for 250 euro's even when you're not a beginner anymore. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD Vintage-214 9 Bass Guitars 12/24/2014