LTD MV-200 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD MV-200
It's got a Strat body style mainly. Tune-O-Matic bridge, string-thru body. Active EMG's. A 81 in the bridge and a single-coil in the neck. 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch. Sperzel locking tuners.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 7.1
 8.1
 6.1
reviews (3) 17 comments vote for this gear:
LTD MV-200 Reviewed by: walls_bleed, on november 15, 2012

Features: I don't know what year it was made for sure, maybe 2000-2003 area. I also don't know where it was made, but I'm sure it was made wherever LTD guitars are made. I got a PSP, and one of my buddies I jam w/ offered me the guitar for the PSP (he has a Schecter in case you were wondering if he was mental)so I did w/out much thought and I'm glad I did. I had a Washburn at the time, and it was good, just not what I wanted really. Anyway, about this beauty. 24 medium-jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard binded to a beautiful maple neck. The body is Mohagany and it has a flame-maple top stained this awesome purple color. It's got a Strat body style mainly. Tune-O-Matic bridge, string-thru body. Active EMG's. A 81 in the bridge and a single-coil in the neck. 1 Volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch. Sperzel locking tuners. It didn't come with them but my friend put them on. Oh, all the hardware is black. // 9

Sound: This guitar was the answer to my prayers! I play metal, hard-rock, emo, contemporary christian, and it does wonders for all of them. I play it through a Damage Control Solid Metal Pedal(I have a review of it also on here)going to a Randall 212SC 100W Combo. It sounds amazing. I can get pinch harmonics really easy on it all the way to like the 15th fret on most strings. It's pretty quiet compared to most guitars, it does'nt really give me a problem unless I'm next to a computer. This guitar is great for lead, rhythm, solos, everything. It's a bolt on neck, but it gives me loads of sustain (not Les Paul sustain, but you get the idea). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set-up, I have no idea, but I always set my guitar up the way I like it anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered. I have the action right where I want it, which is great because w/ my Washburn I had a problem doing that. The pickups are awesome, they give me a really great sound. I've had no problems w/ this guitar so far, but I've only had it for 3 months. My buddy said it never pissed him off, so, I trust him. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played Live w/ it yet, but my band practices a lot and I've played it three hours straight before and the battery never ran out, I never lost tone, nothing, so I'm not scared to take it on stage. I put staplocks on it to add to the safety factor because I move around a lot. The finish looks great, it only has one scratch and that was my fault. I can depend on the guitar, but I will always play w/a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, if it were stolen, I'd sit down and cry, then I'd go kick that theifs anus and take it back. Or just kill him. I've been playing for 2 years and this is one of the best guitars I've played so far. I love the EMG's and the neck. It plays so fast. If I could change one thing I'd want a Floyd Rose on it to do some cool feedback manipulation and natural harmonic squeals and stuff, but I'm content. // 9

LTD MV-200 Reviewed by: SpockTheRock, on november 15, 2012

Features: I am pretty sure this guitar was made in Korea, but not 100% sure when. This guitar has 24 medium jumbo frets, while the body is a superstrat style made of mahogany with a beautiful flame maple top and has a deep blue color, at least on mine. The body is a string-thru, and has a Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has a Seymour Duncans for the pickups (not sure which though), black hardware, and a pointy headstock. Bolt-on neck. // 10

Sound: I play mainly hard rock and metal, and this guitar (like most other ESP's) is definitely made for metal. I play it through a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 half stack and it sounds amazing. This guitar is great for playing lead, but I use it mainly for rhythm and it still sounds great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't really had too many problems in this category, and it sounds pretty good for a factory set-up. You might want to check the tuners though, because in the first week I had mine, one of them became loose. The jack for the input went out of place pretty fast too, and it seems to be a recurring problem. Another thing I have noticed is that it goes out of tune really quickly, so I am thinking about getting that checked out, as well as the problem with the jack. But overall, it's pretty good. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely last you a while. I have had this guitar for about 3 and a half years now, and it still looks great. I dropped it once by mistake because the strap wasn't on properly, but it still plays fine. I would definitely recommend this for gigging as it won't fail you in the middle of a show, but you will probably have to tune it every few songs. // 9

Overall Impression: Playing mainly metal, I would say this guitar is excellent for that genre, but don't expect it to play the blues or jazz really well (this is an ESP after all). If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely go gt another one if I could find one because ESP doesn't manufacture these anymore. Anyone Who is looking for something new should definitely pick up this guitar if you have a love for metal. Trust me, you'll appreciate it. // 9

LTD MV-200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: Unknown what year this guitar was made, but I'm looking into that. It was made in Korea, as it says on the back of the headstock. It has 24 frets, I don't know whether they're jumbo, ex-jumbo or what. The neck appears to be maple with a rosewood fret board. The body appears to mahogany with a flame maple top and natural binding on the body only. The neck and headstock have white binding. Mine is Orange colored, like the one in the picture on the review page. The body style is super Strat. It has a tune-o-matic bridge with sring thru body design. Mine came with duncan design pickups (unk what model #'s). It has a regular humbucker at the bridge and a stacked rail humbucker at the neck. It has 1 volume and 1 tone control and a 3 way selector Switch. The tuners are your run of the mill ESP Standard tuners. The headstock is the pointy one and it's finished in black. It came with a Mars gig bag. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of harder rock and metal. The guitar, as with all ESP's, is definately built for these styles of music. I've playe it through a variety of amps, a Marshall JCM-800, another Marshall practice amp, a Crate bass amp, Line6 Spider II 30, and my current amp, Line6 Spider III 75. It sounds decent, but not the best I've heard. I'll take Seymour Duncans over any other pickup made (not saying they're better, I just prefer their sound), but mine just has too much treble at the bridge, and it's too "muddy" at the neck. The volume is affected when the selector Switch is in the middle position, as the guitar sound very quiet. I think if I change out the pickups it would make a world of difference, but I would have to stick with a single coil or stacked humbucker at the neck because that's the way the body is cut, and there is no pick guard. The sound could use some work. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The initial setup was fine, though I didn't really have much to compare it to when I bought it. I only had 2 other guitars, a Strat and ESP H-50. The action is great, though there is a tiny bit of buzzing when playing on the lower frets. It's great for playing leads. Some minor adjusting wouldn't Hurt. As notated above, the sound could use some adjustment in the form of replacing the pickups. The top is bookmatched fairly well, though the bottome half a tad bit darker than the top. I'm pretty sure the frets are extra jumbo now that I'm holding the guitar looking at it. The fretwork is good, but it looks sloppy with the binding along the top edge of the neck. I have a problem with tuning the g and b strings, but I don't usually have a problem keeping it in tune once it's there. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for around 5-6 years and it's held up fine. I've never used it Live, but have done quite a bit of jamming with it with a few friends. It can hold it's own up against some other mid to low grade guitars. Once you start getting into the higher end LTD's (1000 series) or actual ESP models, it's gonna lose. I have a hollow body Schecter that I prefer playing over this guitar, and it sounds a lot better. I still wouldn't get rid of it for anything. The construction is solid. The finish is not wearing at all, the hardware is not rusting and nothing is broken on it after the years. I would definately use it gigging, had I any gigs to play, after I change out the pickups. // 8

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and metal, and anything else surrounding those styles of music. The guitar was definately built for these styles, though I think ESP could have made better pickup choices. I've had the guitar for at least 5 years now and I've played guitar for 11 years. I'd never give up the guitar because you can only order something similar through the custom shop. Well, you could probably have one re-made through the custom shop if you had all the original specs for it. I'm still trying to get those through ESP. This guitar has loads of potential, it's just not there yet. I could compare this guitar to the lower end Horizon or Mirage models (like the '50s or '100s) that ESP makes, anything else and you'd be moving up in category. Great guitar for those guitars Who yearn to shred or play some thrash or speed metal. I wish it came with actual Seymour Duncans, not just Duncan Designs, and I kinda wish it didn't have the rail pickup. Otherwise, great instrument. I would recommend it. // 7

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD KH-2 9.3 Electric Guitars 06/23/2014