LTD Phoenix-1000 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD Phoenix-1000
It can play absolutely everything your heart desires from jazz and blues to black metal and deathcore. This guitar is a little noisy admittedly but it is worth the warm and full sound that it produces.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.6
 8.9
 8.2
reviews (2) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
LTD Phoenix-1000 Reviewed by: tonybony1491, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Uncle Ike's

Features: This is a 2010 model made in Korea. It has 22 XJ frets, maple thin you neck and a 25.5 scale. It has an ebony fretboard with Diamond flag inlays. It has a mahogany body and a neck-through with a snow hite finish and black pickguard. It is shaped like a Gibson Firebird. It has a TOM bridge and tailpiece with an earvana compensated nut. It came with passive Seymour Duncan JB9bridge0 and '59 (neck). It's got two volume knobs with no tone knobs and a 3-way selector switch. It also has ESP locking tuners. As far as features go this guitar is a bit bland. It only has 22 frets and no tone knobs. Personally, I don't use the tone knob anyways and with two volume knobs I can turn the neck pickup down to zero and use the selector switch as a killswitch. That alone can't save this guitar from getting a relatively low rating though. // 7

Sound: As far as the sound goes... IT IS AMAZING! It can play absolutely everything your heart desires from jazz and blues to black metal and deathcore. I personally play in the range of hard rock to metalcore and this guitar does not let me down. Currently I'm playing through a Marshall AVT100 and using a Boss MT 2 Metal Zone. I know those are both suppose to be terrible pieces of musical equipment and honestly if you don't know what you're doing they are. But if you can figure out how to fine tune them properly they sound pretty good. This guitar is a little noisy admittedly but it is worth the warm and full sound that it produces. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight from the factory it was setup perfectly and ready to play. Nothing was wrong with this thing. The neck was a little bit chunkier than what I had been accustomed to after playing my Jackson DKMGT but I quickly adjusted to it and it really is one of the more comfortable necks I've played on. It really seems to fit perfectly in your hand. Also I should mention that the neck is a pretty fast neck for all you shredders out there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does just fine playing live or in your bedroom. The hardware just doesn't seem to deteriorate in quality. Except I should mention that I broke the pickup selector when I fell down the stairs at a friends house. But that was an easy fix and there wasn't even a scratch one the thing. Since the finish is white I'm a little afraid that there will be discoloration from where it rubs against my clothes and body but it hasn't shown any signs of it yet so who knows. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before I play mostly in the range of hard rock and metalcore and this guitar handles it beautifully. I've been playing for close to four years now I own a Jackson DKMGT and a Schecter Damien FR. If it were stolen I'd probably go on a manhunt for the douche that stole it and beat their ass with a tire iron. I love the sound and shape of it, I'm 6'5" so it's kinda difficult to find a guitar that doesn't look awkward on me but this one just looks like it was made for me. I wish it had 24 frets instead of just 22 but other than that I really love this guitar. // 9

LTD Phoenix-1000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash .com

Features: 2010 model made in Korea. Has 22 XJ frets, maple thin you neck and a 25.5 scale. It has an ebony fretboard with Diamond flag inlays. It has a mahogany body and a neck-through with a snow white finish and black pickguard. It is shaped like a Gibson Firebird. Has a TOM bridge and tailpiece with an earvana compensated nut. It came with passive Seymour Duncan JB9bridge0 and '59 (neck). Two volume knobs with, no tone knobs (which isn't a problem for me since I have a Fender Mustang set and a 3-way selector switch. It also has ESP locking tuners. // 10

Sound: I usually play music such as: Dethklok, Deluhi, Life On Repeat, The Fall Of Troy, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. Post-Hardcore metal and Melodic metal. I run the Phoenix Through a Fender Mustang Head and a 4X12 Crate, with Fender Mustang switching pedals. The guitar sounds very well, warm tone, nice on distortion, the Stock PU's make it sounds like pure jazz when you set it to clean, a good amount of sustain. The guitar covers about every style there is imo, but my only complaint about the sound is I've owned a Schecter with the same pickups and these pickups just don't do justice for me. If you want to really bring out this guitars true potential I would suggest putting a Bill Lawrence XL500 in the neck and a Seymour Duncan SH1 picking in the other and that will really bring out a nice tone. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I purchased the last one in the store and it was the only guitar they had that had never been opened since ESP shipped it to them so as you can guess its been in there for a couple months to years. When it showed up it was flawless as a Diamond, the pickups were adjusted just right, neck wasn't warped, no damage came to it. The neck is the smoothest I've played, you will be surprised when you touch it, its like rubbing against a wood block after its been smoothes down by like some godly machine. Sweat does not affect the neck. No flaws, and I had to use this guitar the day it came in for a gig and let me say this. It killed on stage but of course those strings being on there for years, the High E popped on the last song but I wasn't disappointed at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has done battle with mahogany Basses and Guitars, being smacked into each other and into wooden desk, walls. And not one dent, chip, or scratch, this guitar is like a tank especially with the ebony fretboard. The straps are solid and NEVER FALL OFF, I own a 1977 Ibanez Lawsuit Firebird and I don't even bring it as a backup anymore, this guitar is like my prized possession. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a 9 out of 10, I give it a 9 B.C. of the Pickups but other than that, this guitar is perfect. If it was stolen I would buy another one, and I would even go pro with this. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600 FR Gus G Signature 6.7 Electric Guitars 09/11/2014