LTD SC-207 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD SC-207
It's has 24 frets total and the 24th has the sc207 inlay on it which is a nice touch I think. Bolt on neck, 25.5" scale with XJ frets. The wood used on the body is basswood and the neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard. It's a fixed bridge guitar which makes it easy for you to change tunings on this beast.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 9.4
 9.5
 9.2
reviews (4) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
LTD SC-207 Reviewed by: Riff Driven, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash.com

Features: Unlike most ESP's which are made in Japan, this guitar was made in 2009 in China, as most LTD's are, but don't think that means it's not a quality instrument. This is Stephen Carpenter's (Deftones) signature model. It comes with a thin U contoured maple neck that's a breeze to play for a 7 string, equipped with 24 extra jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard, and ESP tuners with a scale length of 25.5 inches. The fretboard has no inlays except for the SC207 inlay at the 24th fret, which gives this monster a ominous look, but it does have markers on the top of the fretboard, so you won't get lost. All that is bolted to a solid, Strat shaped Basswood body with a pitch black, high gloss finish. It has string through construction with a Tune-O-Matic bridge for Killer sustain, and like most of Stephen's models, only has a bridge and middle pickup. Both pickups are ESP and are connected to a simple 3 way Switch with only one lone tone and a volume, simple enough right? My only complaint is for that price I should get a gig bag at least, but alas, all I got was a box! // 10

Sound: My musical tastes are broad as they are wide, I listen to and play everything, and this guitar can fit into most any of them, from Zeppelin to Unearth. It has a nice, warm tone for some blues or just some clean chords with the middle pickup, or you can make her scream with the bridge pickup on and the tone wide open. I play this monster through my Marshall MG100HDFX with a Zoom G7.1UT and a wide array of other effects, it can get a little noisy with a lot of gain and the tone open, but it's nothing a noise suppressor can't kill. The only problem is that with a lot of distortion the middle pickup can sound muddy when you ride the B string, but I'm rather fond of the bridge pickups on all my guitars, so it rarely becomes an issue. Overall, if you have your settings tweaked right, she'll sing however you want. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box and she was ready to play after a tuning, but this thing has seen more of the world than I have, so I guess a tuning wasn't a big deal. So aside from having to pick all the protective film off of the pickups and back plates, she was a lovely high gloss black, that seems blacker with the chrome hardware, with no imperfections. After my inspection I found that everything was nice and tight and the action was just fine, and I did a bit of tweaking to the pickups but probably had it back to factory settings before I was done. At least ESP did a good job, considering the lack of a case or bag. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The monster stood up to a few live gigs, but I rarely use it live, not that the guitar wasn't up to par, I just tend to play my six more. It seems like it will last me for quite a few years, the knobs are solid and the tuners don't seem as cheep as some guitars I've played. The strap buttons were good, but I put Schaller strap locks on all my guitars. I don't play without a back up, and this guitar has been there as the backup once or twice, so she can be depended on. I've had her for about 7 months and no major signs of wear, a couple marks on the back from my belt buckle, but I wear a big Fender logo buckle that does that to all my guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I think this was a good guitar for a good price, I play lots of metal and alternative, with some classic rock and blues thrown in for good measure, and this guitar does just fine. I've been playing for 17 years and I have a Gibson Les Paul, Fender Strat, Epiphone Les Paul, and now my first ESP, a fine addition to the family. If it were stolen I would probably buy the through body model next time, but it's still the same guitar so yes I would buy it again. When I decided to buy a 7 string I checked out some Dean's and Ibanez's and for the price, this was the best one I found, plus I'm a Deftones fan so that made things a bit easier. The only thing I wish she had is a coil splitter, but I plan to fix that soon enough. // 10

LTD SC-207 Reviewed by: Big_Rat, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: thomann.de

Features: This guitar is made in china but you wouldn't know it. It's has 24 frets total and the 24th has the sc207 inlay on it which is a nice touch I think. Bolt on neck, 25.5" scale with XJ frets. The wood used on the body is basswood and the neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard, it's a lot darker in colour than I imagined, the fretboard is very dark in colour which looks great. It's a fixed bridge guitar which makes it easy for you to change tunings on this beast. The pickups are passive and it has a middle and bridge pickup wih a 3 way selector for them. It has the Standard tone and volume knobs. No accessories come with this guitar but that's not a problem now is it? // 8

Sound: I have had a 6 string for about 2 years and my music taste got heavier and heavier so I eventually had to get a 7 string, I am talking about bands like Meshuggah, Fear Factory, Deftones etc. It is generally good for all of these type of bands, it has a crunchy tone coming from the ESP passives. I'll admit the pickups aren't brilliant, they aren't as good as say active EMG's but they are still decent pickups, they will be fine for a while until I decide to put something else in, like a Blackout or EMG 707. They have a slight hum coming from the pickup when you aren't playing but it's barely noticable to be honest. I am using my Roland Cube 60 which has a decent tone for metal music and using this guitar with it is a decent combination to get the right kind of tone I want. This guitar is very nice for cleans, it has a very warm tone, especially switching it to the middle pickup I think. The middle pickup with distortion though seems a bit pointless to me though, oh well... // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup almost perfect apart from the intonation on a couple of strings. The strings that came with it had such a bad tone though, it was criminal so I put some Daddario's in it. There is no buzz from any of the strings which I heard was a problem with this guitar... Might have been the previous model because this one was fine. Everything looks great, it's a very well balanced guitar and the finish on the body is great. Also the fretboard is gorgeous, bending on this thing is very smooth, compared with my Washburn 6 string, this has a much nicer neck. People said to me this would have a fairly chunky neck and I found that that wasn't the case at all, the neck is very slim, probably similar to an Ibanez size and it's fretboard is so much more awesome! It plays much better than I ever expected it would, it plays like a high end ESP would! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Let me tell you now, this guitar is built to survive nuclear war! Haha. But seriously this thing feels so sturdy it almost feels like one piece of wood, it's built really well. The strap bottons also seem very solid, I think I could rely on this guitar for years and years. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar is very comfortable to play and it's the perfect first 7 string, it's affordable and has great features. I love the neck and the overall look of this guitar, it looks much more expensive than it actually is, I was amazed when I first saw it, it's sexy as hell. The fact that it is routed to fit EMG sized pickups or similar is an added bonus as I was thinking of changing the pickups anyway, but the Standard pickups aren't bad at all really. I would like a neck pickup on this guitar but I think just having a bridge and a middle pickup makes it looks very unique which was my initial attraction to the guitar, there isn't a guitar like it. // 9

LTD SC-207 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Ultimate Guitar

Features: Well this guitar came in fresh on Friday and I bought it on the same day, this guitar has 24 XJ frets, 25.5" neck scale and a thin U neck contour. It features a Rosewood fingerboard Basswood body and a string through tune-o-matic bridge. The model I bought came with the passive Japan made ESP pickups which sounds familiar with EMG's. And mine came with an ESP hardcase. // 9

Sound: Some people would say this kind of specs are cheap specs or whatever they can say, but on my personal opinion it doesn't really feel like basswood since the sound is heavy. This guitar really suits the kind of music I play which is KoRn, Divine Heresy and Suicide Silence. This guitar can have a wide range of tones from jazz cleans to brutal low tuning crunch. Although this guitar came with ESP pickups, it is perfectly fine and its a very quiet pickup unlike other brands that use stock pickups, it sounds abit like EMG's but obviously EMG's are better. Right now I'm running my guitar with a Roland Microcube and a Boss Metalcore pedal and honestly it sound very brutal but the sound can improved if I had an Equalizer. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the setup for the guitar was absolutely perfect, there was no string buzzing. The pickups were adjusted quite high so I had to adjust it again but its not a big deal. The guitar was flawless, no damage, no scratches, no nothing. Fret access on the guitar is no problem, even getting to the 24th fret. The action on the guitar is low, it practically plays itself. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If I would take this guitar for a metal performance I would not bring any backup since this guitar is very reliable. Judging by the hardware I think it will last since it's very shiny. The strap buttons are as hard as a rock, when I put on my strap it's nearly impossible to take it out. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I didn't regret buying this guitar, because the songs I play are seriously hardcore. This is my first 7 string after 3 years of playing and now I feel somehow gay playing the 6 string since I'm already used to the 7 string neck. If anyone were to steal my guitar I would f--king nuke his hometown. I love everything about this guitar it's black finish and brutal Horizon shape suits the kind of music I play. Well the only thing is I wish this guitar came with locking tuners cause changing the strings for a 7 string is a pain in the ass. // 10

LTD SC-207 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Furtados, Bangalore, India

Features: It is a wonderful guitar with a basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard. Its made in China but there is nothing to worry about! There is NO INLAY!..which is kinda good so that you can make your own :)! It has a H-H pickup configuration and is my first seven stringer..so may be I'll rate it a little more because i'm really excited about it! // 9

Sound: Sounds absolutely killer. The clean tone is amazing. I've tried Shecter Demon 7 and Ibanez RG7321. This is on par with those guitars..may be even better. I play absolutely everything from classical to death metal and this will go along with pretty much everything just fine. I don't think I'll touch my 6 stringers ever again! Right now, I'm using a Zoom G2.1U processor and a marshall/stranger amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Absolutely flawless. Was well setup. The action was perfect for me. The pickups were adjusted just fine. Nothing where it was not supposed to be. I totally fell in love with it the minute I saw it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I bought this guitar a couple of weeks back so I probably cannot comment on the durability But I got a 5 year warranty card..so I'm guessing it'll be durable! The strap buttons are good..so its not just going to fall off(one of my guitars actually did!) I am definitely gonna use this to all of my shows from now on.. // 9

Overall Impression: Okay, first of all, I'm not a Deftones fan..or even a Stephen Carpenter fan(well, I just think hes good). So that is not the reason behind me buying this guitar. I was looking for a seven stringer, tried a couple of em and this felt just right. I have been playing for over seven years now and this is my fifth guitar. The tone is brilliant. If it gets stolen/lost, I'll probably buy it again or may be I'll buy the Shecter Damien 7. I just wish it had a tremolo bar. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014