LTD SC-608B Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/16/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD SC-608B
The ESP LTD SC-608B Stephen Carpenter Signature Series model is pretty, freakin, sweet. If you are considering buying this thing, you're probably a metal head. This thing is gonna get the job done.
 9.2
 9.6
 8.8
review (1) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
LTD SC-608B Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: Private

Features: The ESP LTD SC-608B Stephen Carpenter Signature Series model... is pretty, freakin, sweet. This guitar has a Mahogany body with maple Neck-thru construction. The neck itself is just slightly fatter feeling than that on its cousin over at Ibanez. It has 2 Active 808 EMG's which line up just like an 81, 85 combo. The bridge pickup picks up those low end chugs... Pops... And low octave harmonies like a DREAM. The neck pickup does great for leads and what not. But I don't know WHAT the hell Stephen Carpenter was thinking with the placement of it. It's just plain silly for it to be in the middle. It sacrifices tone in my opinion. But it still defiantly gets the job done. Then tuners are pretty damn nice, as they are locking ESP tuners which do a pretty good job of keeping this beast in tune... Though I sometimes wish there was a double locking bridge with fine tuners. But I'll live! You'll get this thing in gloss black for sure. PERRRRTY. I think overall there are only 2 things that REALLY bug me... 1 is the inlays. There are none. Only Stephen's GOOFY a-s SMILEY FACE signature (look close at it!) I've taken the liberty of precisely placing my own frets using NEON green duct tape to not only show where I'm going... But to hide the shame of how silly the designer was. The second is the cutaway, for me personally, the 23 and 24th frets are a bit uncomfortable to reach. Which I'll eventually fix by stripping the paint and routing out a deeper cut awat. Still overall. This thing plays amazing, its a pretty simplistic instrument. But damn does it play. I'll keep this thing forever! // 9

Sound: Oh yeshhhh... Oh yeshhhh... I forget sometimes if I'm a guitarist. Or a bassist. I'll find myself flying over all 8 string with carefully picked arpeggios. And the next I'm popping and slapping it never was a guitar to begin with. My strings are setup with using Ernie Balls 74 64 56 46 36 26 16 11 9. (DO NOT BUY ERNIE BALLS 8 STRING SET OF STRINGS!) Use Ernie Ball hybrids and custom order the other 2. This thing is pretty damn heavy... Therefor thick... Therefor RICH! Tone out the wazoo! Not a lick of noise! I put it through a Peavey 6505+ head with a MESA 4x12. I haven't played with it live. But when I do. Guys will need new faces. Girls will need new panties! This thing gets pretty damn metal. But it cleans up VERY nicely too, the neck pickup clean can make the high end SOOO bright. Bright enough to blind you. Yes... Sonically vivid! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Ofcourse I had to tune it a bit before I started jamming. But this thing comes stock exactly how it shows it will! The black is getting a bit boring for me. I'm definitely going to be stripping off the black eventually and hitting it with a clear coat. (why hide that neck thru joint baby!?!?) Just change out the 9 volt with a good old energizer 9v and this things fricken GOLDEN! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing... Is a TANK. COMPLETLY solid. Nothing about this guitar could be defined as, loose or non dependable. I have yet to get this thing onto a live stage. But being a drug abusive alcoholic. This thing takes enough at home abuse as it is! Hehe! // 10

Overall Impression: If you are considering buying this thing. You're probably a metal head. So whether you just wanna play some low meaty death metal. Some tinny djent perfection. Or shred til you can't feel your fingers. This thing is gonna get the job done. Plus... From outside opinions. This thing is so overall THREATENING that people will become scared and intimidated before that have enough time to count the strings! // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600EC Gus G 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014