LTD Truckster Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD Truckster
It features a mahogany body, EMG 81/60 active pickups, Sperzel locking tuners, rosewood fingerboard w/ flag inlays, satin chrome hardware, and much more!
 Features: 9.2
 8.7
 9.2
 8.2
reviews (6) pictures (2) 54 comments vote for this gear:
LTD Truckster Reviewed by: aintlifegrand, on november 15, 2012

Features: Set-neck construction; 24.75" scale; mahogany body; 3-piece mahogany neck; rosewood fingerboard; flag inlays w/LTD at 12th fret; EMG 81/60 active pickups; 2 volume & 1 tone control w/2x3-way toggle (toggle in upper position is inactive); satin chrome hardware; Sperzel locking tuners; TonePros locking bridge w/stop tailpiece; white binding on body, neck & headstock; 22 XJ frets. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal and this works great, I love the tone of the EMG's they sound great. Right now I'm using a Line 6 Spider II 212, but in a month am getting a Peavey 6505+, to really bring out the tone. But for now the Line6 sounds pretty good with the EMG's. The sound is a little bright with the 81 so I mainly use the 60, but the 81 sounds great with solos. Is has a very nice sound and unplugged it is quit loud with a great tone. It has fairly nice sustain and some good natural harmonics as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I was very surprised on the settings when I recieved it, the action was nice and low, but not too low as to get unwanted fret buzzing. The EMG's appear to be set at a very nice height, right up in there under the strings. It has a very nice fast great sounding low action, I couldn't have asked for anything more. It definitly saves me a trip to the guitar shop to get it set up. The construction was very nice, no spare glue laying around on the body or neck, all knobs were nice and tight, strap buttons seem nice and tight, wouldn't be worried about them coming out at all. All sontrols worked very smooth. Only prob was the strings were a tad bit oxidized, but replacing the stings isn't a big deal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm really impressed with this guitar and the craftsmanship that ESP put into it. It is definitly one of the nicest guitars I have ever played on. Everything seems like it will last all knobs and strap buttons are very secure, the guitar is nice and light so I wouldn't worry about the strap buttons coming out. I would almost always have a backup no matter what guitar I was playing with, but I gaurantee this would not let you down. The finish is great, it just looks like it can take a beating, and if it did, who cares, it's already distressed, just adds your own character. // 10

Overall Impression: For me this guitar is a perfect match, playing mainly metal it sounds great, but I also play some classic rock, and it sounds great with that as well. I have been playing for 11 years and have played on quite a few guitars and am highly impressed with this guitar. One of the nicer LTD models I have seen. If it were stolen I would most likely hunt down the thiefs family slowly murdering them all, while the thief was tied up in the corner watching, I would then proceed to beat him to death with his own mother's arm, then I would buy a new one. This is a really great guitar I hate nothing, but love everything. I actually changed my order at the last minute from the KH-602 to this, and am highly pleased with my decision. Now I have to save back up for the KH-602. The one thing I wish this had was a nice ol' floyd rose or something of that nature, but then again I bought this bacause I needed a solid rhythm guitar, and that is exactly what I got. // 10

LTD Truckster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: I have a 2006 LTD Truckster and it lives up to its Legacy as James Hetfields signature guitar. It comes out of the box with plenty of goodies like locking tuners, strap locks, and an EMG 81/60 active pickup set. It has 22 frets and plays beautifully. There are 2 volume knobs, 1 tone knob, and a 3 way pickup selector. It is basically a Les Paul Copy modified specifically for hard rock/metal. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds amazing. This is such a satisfying guitar to play, the neck is perfect and feels like silk. The tone is unbeatable as well. If your not a fan of EMG pickups then this is not the guitar for you. The bridge pickup (EMG 81) has a very brilliant sound to it when it's clean, and screams and wails when it's distorted. It really shines with distortion though, sometimes I've found it to sound a bit too weak when it's clean. The EMG's have a clarity unlike any other pickup, even when strumming full chords with distortion the single notes are still distinct. The EMG 60 in the neck position is decent with distortion but have a very warm voicing when it's used with a clean tone. All in all I had no complaints from the pickups. They have no buzz and sound amazing! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was almost perfect when it came out of the box. I had a slight buzz on the low E string which was easily fixed with a tiny truss rod adjustment. The finish, hardware, and wiring were all flawless. The finish to this guitar is very unique though, you will either love it or hate it. Other than the slight buzz everything was perfect on this guitar right out of the box. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a tank. I beat the daylight out of it traveling and gigging and this guitar has held up beautifully. After months of constant gigging I have never had any problems with any of the hardware or wiring of the guitar. The finish is already beat up looking so even if you do manage to knick it up nobody will ever be able to tell which is a bonus in my opinion. I have a Dean Razorback as a backup guitar, and it has never seen a show yet. The Truckster has never failed once on me. The only thing that you need to remember is to change the battery for the pickups every few months. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a tank. I beat the daylight out of it traveling and gigging and this guitar has held up beautifully. I have never regretted buying this guitar, it was worth every penny I paid for it. I looked for a long time and at every major brand to find my perfect rhythm guitar and this was it. It is a no frills heavy metal guitar! If you aren't too fond of the finish, or aren't a Metallica fan I would recommend the LTD EC-1000 instead. It has all the same features just about and is a bit cheaper, selling for around $800. Overall this is the best guitar I have ever owned. I wouldn't have to think twice about replacing it if something ever happened to it. I would strongly recommend this guitar to anyone looking to purchase it! // 10

LTD Truckster Reviewed by: jimzer, on november 15, 2012

Features: My truckster was Brand New and made in Korea. It has 22 frets with a very comfortable thin, shaved neck. It has a rosewood fretboard which is sweet to play. The body is made of mahogany and it comes in a very special finish. it is painted black then white then red and then sanded down to match James Hetfield's original truckster axe, in my opinion it looks awesome. It comes with sperzel locking machine heads and a tonepros locking bridge. It comes loaded with the active emg 81/60 pickup combo which absolutely scream. It has a volume knob for each pickup, tone knob, a pickup selector at the knobs and a pickup selector swtich at the top which is inactive (this emulates James' original axe). // 9

Sound: It surely suits metal, blues and all other heavy genres too. I play it through a Vox AD15VT and it has wicked tone. As I said it can cover all your heavy tones from zeppelin hard rock to maiden Metallica thrash and heavy metal. If I had a Marshall tube combo or head+cab then the emg's would really be unleashed but they still sound wicked awesome from the Vox. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: it came up fairly out of tune but that was rectify quick. The pickups were adjusted fine but the battery was kinda almost dead but that was also rectify. It came all setup and ready to play. The strings were awesome but I have no clue what brand they are. I've had the axe for a super long time and they haven't dulled yet. I play it so much I thought they'd be changed by now but they are still as bright as from the day I bought them. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The truckster is very sturdy. I've hit it on table corners and can barely notice a ding. But anyway, the truckster is meant to be dinged to look badass! The finish is awesome. You can actually sand it down even more to get the colours you want in the axe. Very creative. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly heavy stuff like Metallica and Megadeth and this axe covers it all. If it were stolen I might buy another one, they are quite expensive new. I love everything about this axe. The tone, the colours, the ability to stay in tune for an eternity, just perfect. The only thing I wish it had was for the top pickup selector switches between active and passive, that'd be super awesome. // 9

LTD Truckster Reviewed by: Iplayneatthings, on november 15, 2012

Features: The ESP LTD Truckster has a Set Neck construction 24.75" scale, a mahogany body, a 3-piece mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard, Thin you neck shape, Schaller locking tuners, Flag inlays and 22 XJ frets, Satin chrome hardwear, Tonepros T3B-T & T1Z Bridge and Tailpiece and features an EMG 81 in the bridge and EMG 60 in the neck and white binding on the neck body and headstock. This guitar is based off of the ESP Eclipse series of guitars with a few minor changes. This guitar all features two three way pick up selectors, the second of which is just a dummy switch (located near the top of the body). // 7

Sound: The ESP LTD Truckster sounds great for most types of rock and heavy metal music. The EMG's give it a really nice crunch through an amp with overdrive or distortion. The pickups remain relatively clean sounding so it's not too muddy. The Truckster performs as expected with EMG pickups on a clean tone. They aren't the best for riffs aimed at being crystal clear but this isnt surprising for such high output pickups. The only time I get any amount of hum from this guitar is when my amp is on the lead channel, but it is minimal. I'm running this guitar through a Peavey JSX Signature Head with a Boss DD-6 Delay in the effects loop and a Zakk Wylde Signature Wah through the input. This guitar is really well suited for heavy metal and heavier rock genres. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came perfectly set up from the factory. The action was at a reasonable level and the pickups were well adjusted as well. I've had this guitar for just over a year now and I haven't changed a thing on it except the strings. The guitar contained no flaws, the bridge, finish, action, and pickup placement were great.No problems here. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it's built to last. I do have an issue with the strap buttons and tuners though. I found that the strap buttons almost too small in a way, the strap seemed to slip off of the top button quite often during playing. The other issue I have is that the B string seems to go horibly flat after a while more so then the others. That being said I haven't had any major tuning problems with the other strings. I personally use this as more of a secondary guitar that I keep in different tunings such a drop D or down a half step etc. I wouldn't take any guitar to a gig without a back up. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall The ESP LTD Truckster give you a real great bang for your buck sound. I play mostly hard rock (Zeppelin, Van Halen, Kiss etc) and heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Testament, Metal Church, Ozzy etc). And it handles these genres and bands perfectly. I particularly prefer this guitar for rhythm guitar parts, not because it's a James Hetfield model and he plays rhythm (mostly), but because its sound is really big and thick with overdriven chords. I've been playing over 6 years and I find it to be a guitar that really delivers. My favourite thing without a doubt are of course the EMG pickups, they are just perfect for heavy music. The only thing I wish this guitar had was the Sperzel locking tuners like the higher end ESP Truckster model has, but hey you can't have it all. I also own a Dean Dime-O-Flame and a Fender American Standard Strat which are both amazing guitars. I think personally if it were stolen I would not buy it again as I'm someone who perfers to have a whammy bar on thier guitar because I play a lot of leads that incorporate it. Definately a guitar worth checking out if you're in the market for a guitar with a really tight crunch sound that can deliver when playing on 11. // 7

Price paid: C$ 1050

Purchased from: music pro

Features: 2012 made in Korea, 22 frets, 24.75 scale, 22 xj frets, mahogany neck mahogany body with maple top, flat black finish with sand wear spots from factory, Les Paul style body, tone pro locking bridge, ESP locking tuners, satin chrome hardware, JH EMG active signature pickup. // 10

Sound: suit my style very well, metal, rock, punk, grunge, etc... I use it in Randall RG100G3 with Behringer tube overdrive, the pickup is very quiet (its active pickup!) its very bright sound on overdrive and medium high on clean... With roll of the tone knob you can get any style and output with this guitar! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well set-up from factory. Except the second fret and the 14th need to be sand down on the treble side to be perfectly built! Pickup was set up right on the spot from factory, intonation neck was very straight and solid. All parts was tight from factory. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's only make a month I had this guitar, but it look like a tank! Very solid the finish is very hard to scratch, the guitar keep is tuning perfectly, neck was just the right size and very straight and solid... With this look you don't mind to scratch it or chip it. It look like its from the factory! It's trustable enough to use it in every gig and live! // 10

Overall Impression: It a metal guitar first! I'm playing since 10 years old now and I had try some Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Samick and I prefer this guitar to any one I've tried before! It a Les Paul look with modern sound! If it was stolen I was buy another one for sure. It my main guitar since I got it. Its very punchy, heavy, clean, fast, and solid! // 10

Price paid: C$ 1050

Purchased from: music pro

Features: 2012 made in korea,22 frets, 24.75 scale, 22 xj frets, mahogany neck mahogany body with maple top, flat black finish with sand wear spots from factory, Les Paul style body, tone pro locking bridge, ESP locking tuners, satin chrome hardware , JH EMG active signature pickup // 10

Sound: suit my style very well, metal, rock, punk, grundge, etc...i use it in Randall RG100G3 with beringher tube overdrive, the pickup is very quiet((its active pickup!)) its very bright sound on overdrive and medium high on clean...whit roll of the tone knob you can get any style and outpout with this guitar! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the guitar was very well set-up from factory...except the second fret and the 14th need to be sand down on the treble side to be perfectly built! pickup was set up right on the spot from factory,intonation neck was very straight and solid...all parts was tight from factory // 9

Reliability & Durability: its only make a month i had this guitar, but it look like a tank!,,,very solid the finish is very hard to scratch, the guitar keep is tuning perfectly, neck was just the right size and very strainght and solid...with this look you don't mind to scratch it or chip it ,,,it look like its from the factrory!!!its trustable enough tu use it in every gig and live!.. // 10

Overall Impression: it a metal guitar first! i'm playing since 10 yers old now and i had try some Gibson Fender Ibanez Samick and i prefer this guitar to any one ive tried before!...it a Les Paul look with modern sound!!! if it was stolen i was buy another one for sure...it my main guitar since i got it...its very punchy,,heavy,,clean,,,fast ,,,and solid!!! // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD F-50 8.3 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014