LTD V-401DX Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD V-401DX
Features 24 frets, rosewood board, arrow head inlays, maple neck, mahogany body, flamed maple top, king V style shape.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 Features: 9.3
 8.8
 8.7
 8.8
reviews (3) pictures (1) 27 comments vote for this gear:
LTD V-401DX Reviewed by: slayne827, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: samash.com

Features: Features 24 frets, rosewood board, arrow head inlays, maple neck, mahogany body, flamed maple top, king V style shape, Floyd Rose special, active EMG 81's, 2 vol, 1 tone, 3 way toggle, Grover tuners. Every thing a metal player could ever want. // 10

Sound: I play heavy metal. Any thing from at the gates to whitechapel. Suits me very well, nice heavy aggresive tone. I'm running it in to a Ibanez ts-9 into a Boss ns-2 to a Peavey 6505+, and is great sounding. Best rig I have ever used. Has a nice full sound, love the tone a mohagany body has. The EMG 81's do metal extremly well but tend to distort the cleans tones, but this guitar is aimed for metal so that is what these pups do. I do not use cleans so this is a 10. If you like cleans get some SDs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory the action was pretty good set up with 9's but is use 11-70's tuned to Bb so changed strings adjusted the truss rod, set the bridge and intonation, and now plays like a dream. The pups where fine where they were no adjustment needed. The only real flaws I found where a small chip in the lower horn, very tiny not noticable at all. These V shaped guitars always get nicked up on the hornes so I am not worried about it. The second is also very minor, the toggle Switch was in stalled backwards(bridge pup is when the toggle is up twards the neck) this was an easy fix took 10 mins, no need to ship it back. Giving it a 7 for the toggle issue. Other than that pretty much flaw less. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is built like a tank and will withstand Live playing. The hardware is very good especially the bridge. It stayed in tune very well even while using the bar(my ESP m-302 and Iby Rg you cannot even use the bridge with out it going to shit. The strap buttons where solid they wide and fat ends. I can depend on this guitar I use the M-302 when I gig but in a different tuning. So I do gig without a back up. The finnish should hold up its seems solid unlike the Ibanez finish(which chips easily Because of the basswood body, I think) // 10

Overall Impression: For the metal style it is a very good choice. I was concidering a Jackson king v used for 1400 at GC, but in the end this was a better option. If you want to play country or something with great clean tones don't wast your time and money just go buy your self a nice little Strat or something. This is a metal guitar and does a great job at doing it. I have been playing for 6 years and have owned a many of guitars every thing from Jackson, to Cort, to Ibanez, to Deans. If it where to be stolen I would not hesitate to buy another. This is the best, most affordable, quality V money could possibly buy. The thing I love most is the neck. I will only play set or neck thru necks, and this is the best set-thru I have played. The neck contour is perfect just a smidge thicker than a ibby, but more comfterble than the RG. Same kind of Jackson contour. I think of it as the best of both worlds thin, but still a great contour. I have tried many V and this if by far the best. Jackson equivilants are outrageusly high priced and no one else makes a decent King V style guitar. // 9

LTD V-401DX Reviewed by: darkinsanity92, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: C$ 921

Purchased from: Mother's Music

Features: The Features - Mahogany body with maple neck, rosewood fretboard, grover tuners, Floyd Rose bridge, active EMG 81s, two volume knobs, three way toggle switch, and a master tone knob. It's a King V shape with arrowhead inlays and a baddass see-thru black finish on a flamed maple top. Features are solid for any metal guitarist. // 10

Sound: I play all kinds of metal music (Metallica, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Wintersun) and this guitar fits the style very well. I own a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt and a Line 6 PodX3. I play with a lot of distortion and the sound is simply f--king killer. It's very sharp and has a lot of crunch to it. For clean settings, it isn't the greatest but it isn't the worst. With two EMG 81's, getting the best clean sound just won't happen. Overall, the sound is very amazing and is perfect for any guitarist that plays metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar I first played it in E and the action was fit very well. The pickups were adjusted properly and everything was in proper working order. The see-thru black design is barely noticable and can easily be mistaken for a glossy black colour instead, but it doesn't bother me. I set up the guitar to C and adjusted everything necessary and now it is easily one of the best guitars I have ever played. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar can withstand countless amounts of beatings. No matter how hard or long you play, it will always stay in tune. I have f--ked around with the bar for countless hours and it stays in tune 99% of the time. The guitar will easily make it through live playing and the hardware is nothing but solid. It's completely dependable and I don't even consider getting a backup when going on a gig. The finish is great on this guitar (I tend to hit the guitar into a lot of things especially around the points because it's a pretty big guitar) and there isn't a single sign of wear yet. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is built for metal. No questions asked and is the perfect match for any metal guitarist looking for a quality King V shaped guitar. I've been playing guitar for just over two years now and I own an ESP LTD EX-50. If it got stolen, I would get another one of these without thinking twice. I love the sound and the playability the most. I don't hate anything about this guitar. My favourite feature is probably the pickups. I haven't owned a guitar before with EMGs in them and I think these have a much more well balanced tone over Seymour Duncans (I have Seymour Duncan Blackouts in my other guitar). I would prefer that this guitar had an EMG 60 in the neck so that clean playing would sound better but that can be fixed no problem. Overall, this guitar is amazing and worth every penny. If you don't want to spend shitloads of money on a high end Jackson V, then this guitar is the one to get. // 9

LTD V-401DX Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: internet

Features: Guitar has a bit of a strange set up you basic heavy metal machine with: - Floyd Rose dual locking bridge - rosewood fingerboard - 24xj frets - 12 to 14inch radius i think - mahogany body - flamed maple top - maple neck And heres the strange one it has both a EMG 81 in the neck and the Bridge interesting but cant help but feel a lack of tonal diversity but still a good set up for the price lots of high end equipment on it. // 8

Sound: My music style is sort of all over the place I have a Fender usa Standard which is the best and most fun to play but it lacks a bit in the metal department, this guitar can cover that but not much else even at low volumes and gain level it carries a very sharp high end and a very low bass thud of low string I think if you a heavy metal purist you would be happy generally a couple of thing needs intonation adjustment small amount of fret buzz and I'm not entirely happy with the finishing done of the neck fells a bit rough and makes it difficult for string bending at time but little hassles aside I generally good sound I got even out of my crappy little Marshall mg 15 amp yet to try it on my Egnater but should be interesting. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said before action and set up need some work from the factory but don't expect miracles from a intermediate price guitar but I can tell the wood is of good grade the tonal and sustain is very good and for a relatively small chunk of wood it has some serious weight behind it. In terms of looks and style you can't get much cooler than a Flying V especially one with flamed maple satin black finish killer. // 7

Reliability & Durability: No problems and nothing to say about it as yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I think some one using a beginner guitar would appreciate this instrument much more than myself but from my perspective its good but not great, road worthy but it defiantly wouldn't be my number one guitar. // 7

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014