LTD V-50 Review

8.3
reviews (4) pictures (2) 29 comments vote for this gear:
LTD V-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Steven James Guitars

Features: My model was made in 2010 (I think, there's no date on the guitar) The V-50 has 24 XJ frets which honestly, are slightly hard play on while doing lead on the higher frets on the higher string but that may just be my finger strength or preference, for rhythm playing I think they're amazing. Rosewood fretboard and basswood body make the sound good but not the best, however my guitar is the best sounding mid range V guitar i've heard with excellent sustain. It has a bolt on neck with a gloss black finish which suits this guitar perfectly. The body is quite thick which I like, the guitar is also quite heavy, (Just a bit less than a Les Paul I think.)which makes it feel great when playing standing or sitting. Tune-O-Matic bridge makes it extremely easy to lower the action (which is needed, mine came with quite a raised action.) Passive ESP LH-150 pickups which are quite high output, great for metal and rock playing. A tone and volume knob and a 3 way pickup selector. Some people find it annoying to sit with for obvious reasons but I got used to it straight away. There is literally NO gigbag that will fit this without stretching and eventually breaking sadly, but a Gator Extreme Case will fit (I think) Overall this is a great guitar for the price and for metal (which the guitars been made for) is amazing. (Ratings are based on price) // 9

Sound: I play anything from Death Metal, metal, metalcore, rock, punk, blues and pop (like The Beatles) such as Cannibal Corpse, Metallica, Bullet For My Valentine, AC/DC, My Chemical Romance, Chuck Berry, and The Beatles. Doing music at college I have to change tunings from Drop B (rarely) and everything in-between to Standard very often. I have 11 gauge D'Addarios which handle the changes excellently (drop B being a bit loose)But this guitar stays in tune amazing. This guitar sounds perfect for metal, I run through a Laney LX120 and a Peavey Rage 158 15 watt, the pickups sound hot, and with some feedback if sat too close to the amp with high gain. The clean sounds aren't great but V's are never too great for clean sounds, especially a low/mid range V. But for anything from Job For A Cowboy to The Beatles it will hold it's own. However looking back if I had a wide style of playing i'd have got another guitar. But for metal It's amazing for the price. It's not made for anything else... // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was quite high which was quite annoying to play, but once lowered this guitar plays brilliantly. The guitar came in perfect condition however after time the jack socket came loose but that was an easy fix. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with this guitar twice without backup, and hasn't let me down yet, everything seems very solid, strap buttons are fitted well. I play this everyday for about 5 hours and have done for about 4 months. However due to me not having a case for a few weeks it did take a few knocks and chips off the spikes when taking it to and from college everyday but nothing major. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 3-4 years now and have a Fender Strat (with humbucker) and I love this guitar. There's not a day goes by I don't play this. It was either this or an ESP MH-50 (I'm a student I'm on a budget.) I'm glad I choose this due to the fact I often Switch tunings and It's a lot easier without a Floyd Rose. I love the shape, the sound and the playability, however if I was a lead player I might disagree. I am now getting an Epiphone Les Paul Custom for more versatility and a better Clean tone. // 9

LTD V-50 Reviewed by: king666nothing, on november 15, 2012

Features: - Not sure about the year it was made, but I'm guessing it's 2010. It was made in China (yeah, sounds bad, I know). - 24 XJ (Extra Jumbo) Frets. 25.5" scale. - Thin maple neck (U contour). Rosewood fingerboard. I was always skeptical when people are talking about "fast neck". In my opinion if your fingers are not fast, there is no neck in the world that would make you play faster. And I am usually a clumsy player, especially on guitars that I'm holding in my hands for the first time ever. But this guitar surprised me quite a bit. It was really easy to play, no stress on muscles and joints in the wrist and palm - overall comfortable neck. - Basswood Body. Really comfortable (despite the popular belief that V-shaped guitars are impossible to play sitting down - but then again I've played V-shaped guitar for years and absolutely love 'em). - Mine is a black color. - "TOM Bridge" - whatever the hell that is. Basically a "String-thru body" bridge (which gives awesome sustain). - Passive electronics (2 ESP LH-150 pickups). The pickups are another thing that surprised me on this guitar - they sound pretty damn good for stock pickups (even on a crappy practice Marshall amp). But having 2 of the same pickups in both positions seems a bit pointless and redundant to me. - 3-way toggle switch, 1 volume, 1 tone. - ESP Tuners (look like Grover mini tuners, but don't know if they match the quality of Grover yet). // 9

Sound: I play metal music (mostly thrash, death, etc. - Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, Testament, Lamb of God). This guitar suits this style pretty good. I don't care much for playing lead (I'm more of a rhythm section kinda guy - but that's strictly as a result of lack of skills needed to play lead). This guitar handles rhythm playing well (the clarity of notes in the chords in distorted mode is pretty awesome). - As far as my equipment goes - I use a small Marshall practice amp (proverbial "I'm in the middle of amps" situation LOL). MXR Dime Distortion Pedal. DigiTech RP-90 Multi Effects Processor. - Guitar sounds very bright and all the notes are clear. But at the same time it is got some sort of punchiness to its tone and it makes a "roaring" sound (which sounds awesome). It has lots of sustain, which is not very usual for V-shaped guitars. It picks up harmonics right away. And there is absolutely no noise (no pickup hissing, that is so common to ears). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: - The factory set-up was pretty much flawless (hard to believe, isn't it? - considering it was made in China). The action was just right. - Pickups height doesn't really mater to me, so I didn't pay attention to that aspect. But I guess it's fine. - The only flaw I could notice was the oxidized screw on the bridge, but that's nothing - it doesn't affect playability at all and can be fixed in seconds. - No finish or hardware or wiring flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: - I don't gig, so I have nothing to say about it's durability and reliability. I guess if I had to play a show I would definitely use it - it's not broken, so why not. - As far as not having some other guitar for a backup - that's just retarded. That's a textbook example of what not to do when preparing for a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: - So overall this guitar is perfect for my style of playing and my preferences in guitars. - I've been playing for about 7 years now (damn, I suck for someone who's been playing for that long )))). - There are not much reviews or YouTube demos on this guitar, so I wasn't really sure about what I was about to buy. But once I tried it in the store all doubts were shattered. This guitar is totally worth its price (not going for those cliche "it's worth much more than it costs" or "that's practically a steal"). Solid instrument for it's price. You're getting exactly what you're paying for. - "Anything you wish it had?" I guess it would be interesting to hear this guitar with 81/85 EMG's in it (yeah, it's becoming a trend, isn't it). So maybe later I'll change the pickups..... Or maybe not. - So, it's a great guitar. I recommend it to all the fans of metal music who are on a tight budget. P.S. I know my review is one of those "fanboyinsh" ones that have no cons stated about the instrument. But I really have nothing bad to say about it yet (considering the fact that I bought it just 8 hours ago). So I guess it's too early for me to write a review on this guitar, but whatever - there were no others, so at least I wrote something about it. // 10

LTD V-50 Reviewed by: shredfg, on november 15, 2012

Features: I don't know anything about when it was made. But It was made in Indonesia. It has a basswood body which is often used by beginner guitars. Comes with maple neck and 24 extra-jumbo frets rosewood fretboard. The bridge this guitar has is a Tune-o-matic-style string-thru bridge. The strings don't stop on body like Les Paul's stop tail tune-o-matic bridges. Strings go inside of the wood. So this makes a good effect for sustain. The guitar has two humbucking pickups. ESP LH-150 stock pickups used in bridge and neck. A volume, a tone and 3 way selector were given to control pickups. The tuners are made by ESP and non-locking tuners. I've a black finish guitar with chrome hardware. I'm giving a 9 because of only one volume knob and bolt-on neck. By the way I never hoped to see two volume knobs and set-thru neck for $250. // 9

Sound: It suits my music style well. ESPs are created to make dirty sounding music. This guitar comes with passive ESP stock pickups. But I can say easily this guitar is well for thrash, death metal. If you like clean sounds of course this doesn't have sounds like single coil pickups. But If you want to get sounds at arpeggios and clean parts of bands like Metallica this can handle it well. I'm using it on a Roland Cube 20XL and I like the sound I get from this guitar. I can get pure thrash sounds, nice palm mutes from this guitar. I sometimes switch to clean, acoustic and overdrive channel on my amp and strum around chords and add improvised solos it. I can have a little bit bluesy sound on it but can't get it's smoothness because of humbuckers. The stock ESP pickups handle my style well but sometimes it can be powerless if you play something that's too complicated. (I mean about technique). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar at a local shop. The action was quite low. But after a few while, when I tried to drop my tuning to D, I realized that it was forcing the bridge. So I re-tuned it to standard tuning. But that's not a big deal. Adjusting bridge and changing strings are provided with my dealer for free. There is no noise when switching between pickups. But when I play a chord and change volume knob while the strings are still vibrating, I get a buzzy sound. The prevent this you need to hold the strings with your palm. But this problem went itself. The main problem with this guitar is about the point where the neck and body being joined. The neck is thin but after 20th fret it's hard to reach upper frets because of bolt-on. It's getting thicker 3 times almost neck's normal size. Playing a v shaped guitar is enjoyable and ergonomic for accessing frets while standing. Generally people say it's impossible to play a "V" while standing. But after 3 days you will have no problem and no pain at your knee. The tuners are stable and good. It stays in tune even you play hard. I tuned my guitar and went out of city for 11 days. When I came back check it if it was in tune. It stays in tune well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think with a pickup modification this guitar is durable at live shows. Because it's shape is designed to play live and impress audience. If you're a professional, you probably will look Jackson KV2 or something in that range. But if you play in a local band and gig at small shows this guitar with a pickup modification according to your style would suit you. This guitar's finish is quite good. I surprised, because it's paint really looks expensive and cool. // 9

Overall Impression: After all these review this guitar suits well the style of music I play. (Thrash, Death, Black Metal). If it were stolen or lost, it depends on money I have in my pocket about buying this guitar again. If I had something $250 I would buy this. I compared this guitar with B.C. Rich and Jackson JS32 King V. B.C. Rich seemed too cheap and China. I'm a Jackson fan but Jackson's cheap, Indian models are not good. JS32 has a wood called Cedro. So I picked up this guitar. // 9

LTD V-50 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: Purchased from a guitar center in 2011. Made in China. Has 24 X-Jumbo frets on an ebony fretboard. Neck is an Ultra thin countour (really fast) on a 24.5" scale 4 screw mounted onto a basswood body. Glossed neck for extra fast playability. Two passive humbucking pickups, a good medium output. Tune-o-matic brige. Tuning low (C, B, and lower) made the frets close to the nut not defined because of how large the frets were. Wasn't brought in for a set-up so I'm sure that problem could be fixed. Volume, tone, and 3-way selector for controls. Non-locking tuners. // 8

Sound: I played through a Peavey Vypyr 15W and it eventually got a good and very metal sound. It was quite noisy when I first started but I switched to gold cables and the fuzz went away. Even with not so great pickups, it still can roar through a distortion pedal (DOD Death Metal Distortion). Pretty good sound overall. Can have clear highs, chrunchy lows, you name it. Stock, this guitar can handle most anything. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything about this guitar was set up right... For standard tuning. For me the action needs adjusting because of the fret size interferring with my playing in low tunings. In standard though it performs quite well. Pickups were adjusted well and I have't found any flaws in the paint that I didn't accidently cause my self. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty solid. There was a couple issues I experienced with it, however. Like I had said, when I would downtune, because of fret size notes wouldn't be played right. I don't press down too hard when I play but I'm not light on them. If the frets were smaller this issue wouldn't occur. Another problem I had was with the input jack. Something is wrong with it and it can barely hold a cable so I have to wrap my strap around the leg of the guitar and the cable to help hold it in there, even when just nonchalantly sitting and playing. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar isn't too bad, and is excellent for a beginner. I've played two years, this was the first "real" guitar I got. I play all kinds of metal; from the "oh my God how is this music" genres to the softer sides of metal, and a little bit of classics and jazzy bits. Good match for me at least but I need to show it some love. If it was stolen/lost I would replace moreso for sentimental reasons. I want to get this guitar into shape so when I have the cash I definitely want to work on it some more. It's a nice little V. Love the look of it, hate that stupid jack and the too big frets. Smaller frets on this and it would definitely be highly esteemed by me. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD KH-2 9.3 Electric Guitars 06/23/2014