LTD Viper-300 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD Viper-300
24 Jumbo Frets. Volume, Tone, 3-way Pickup Selector. Mahogany Body and Neck. Tune-O-Matic bridge. Regular tuners.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 7.9
 8.4
 7.3
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
LTD Viper-300 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Features: Made in late 90's / early 2000, in Korea; 24 frets (jumbo); Volume, Tone, 3-way pickup selector; Two EMG-HZ High Impedance humbuckers (non-active); Mahogany body and neck; Black finish; Body shaped like a Gibson SG, but sheared; Tune-O-Matic bridge; regular tuners; Neck scale 24.75, rosewood. // 10

Sound: I play loud rock and metal, and this guitar is made for it. Playing through a Line-6 Flextone II, with a Vox Wah. The EMG's give very little noise, they are silent until the gain + distortion are at absolute maximum. Humbuckers + mahogany body gives a full, thick sound. It's a rock n roll guitar, and makes rock n roll sounds! Pinch-harmonics come off well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Played fine out of the store. I don't know enough about if pickups were properly adjusted, etc. Only complaint is that the G string has slight intonation problems at certain parts of the neck. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself can take a whoopin. Pickup housings cracked around the screws within a week of buying it. Paint on screws came off right away, but the guitar finish is on thick. G string tuner also has problems / doesn't hold string well. Everything else is perfect. I'd be comfortable without a backup, but would have one anyway. // 8

Overall Impression: A real meat n potatoes axe! Nothing fancy, but you don't need fancy to rock. The perfect guitar for loud rock, great value for the price. I have been playing for 5 years, previous guitar was a Yamaha Pacifica. Would definitely buy it again if stolen. Favorite features include the tapered body top (easy on the forearm), and sheared horns allow easy access to high frets. Also like having the strap knob on the back rather than on the end of the horn. I chose this guitar over an SG, it was cheaper, but offered the same goods. Someday I might change the EMG's to be active... // 10

LTD Viper-300 Reviewed by: Smylly shredder, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: This Korean guitar that was bought in 2000 is the most solid guitar I have ever played. It's rosewood neck has 24 frets, and the fastest action that I have ever played. It is aslo probably the heaviest guitar I've ever played too. It has a solid mahogany body, and it has a transparent rose finish. It almost looks like a Gibson SG, but it's a little bit longer. This guitar comes standard with two EMG-HZ humbucking pickups and it has a 3-way switch. Unfortuanately, there are only two control knobs (volume, and tone) but most guitars do anyway. It also has a fixed, Tune-O-Matic bridge and none locking tuners. // 8

Sound: The sound that I can get out of this guitar suits my style of playing perfectly. I play blues and rock. If you're looking for a metal guitar though, this is not the guitar for you. It's not quite beefy enough. If I'm playing with a little less distortion though, the sound I can get out of this guitar is almost as good as a Les Paul. It kind of has a lot of midrange, so nomatter what your amp settings are, you're going to get a full sound. It's also very good for not creating a lot of "White Noise". I can crank up the volume on my amp with this guitar, with no sound gate, and you wouldn't know it until I started playing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up of this guitar was not, in my opinion, done very well. It had poor action, a loose bridge, and loose tunning pegs, but after giving it a little TLC, it was fine. I've been able to lower the travel and tighten everything. I actually flipped the whole bridge so that it was backwards, and is seems to give me even lower action, so that was a bonus. The only problem with the hardware though is that the unput jack keeps comming loose, and I have to keep a wrench with me to tighten it every couple of days. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Although I would not play a gig without a backup (for fear of strings breaking) I would definitely use it as my number one guitar. Everything seems to be fairly solid, and there isn't a whole lot for wear and tear. So far everything is in good shape (even after putting a couple of holes in the wall with it's headstock), and it will probably last me for many years to come. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is my favorite one to play. It has a nice, solid sound, and it's a little older than my other guitars so it sounds better. It's the only guitar I ever even dream of bringing into the studio because it's the best guitar I have. I think that if it were stolen though, I wouldn't buy another, because it has such an individual sound. I've gone through probably every Viper I've ever seen, and they just don't sound the same. I guess it would be like getting dumped by a good girlfriend. Yeah, you can get another one, but they just won't be the same. It's definitely that kind of guitar. It takes on the personality of it's owner, and that's what's so great about it. // 9

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600 FR Gus G Signature 7 Electric Guitars 09/11/2014