LTD Viper-301 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD Viper-301
ESP enthusiasts know the Viper's features: mahogany body in an offset-waist "batwing" shape, with EMG-HZ H-1 pickups, Tune-O-Matic bridge with stop tailpiece, three-piece mahogany neck set into the body, rosewood fretboard with flag inlays and model name inlaid at 12th fret, Eclipse shaped headstock, and white binding along the neck and headstock.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 8.5
 9.3
 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (5) 5 comments vote for this gear:
LTD Viper-301 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: Made in Korea with 24 jumbo frets. Abalone flag inlays. Mahogany body. Transparent dark cherry finish. Passive electronics. 1 volume, 1 tone knob, and a 3-way selector. Two EMG-HZ passive humbuckers. Basicly, a Viper-400 with passive pickups instead of active. // 8

Sound: My style is hard rock and all kinds of metal, so this guitar covers me well. The EMG passive humbuckers dont pack the high end distortion that the active EMG '81s have, but the clean sound is better than the '81s, so I'm good with that. This guitar is made for hard Drive distortion (the EMG-HZs do pack a punch) which is a problem when I try to venture into blues or classical. Other than that, a perfect sound for the price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: All I can say is that this guitar was set-up perfectly. No flaws. Action was perfect for me, low but not too low. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing. I have used it three times at the only three gigs I've ever been to without a backup (but they were two song sets) and it was perfect. Solid strap buttons with an extremely solid strap will ensure this guitar won't fall. Finish is good. I have chipped it by dropping it, but thats my clumbsiness. Very durable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for two and a half years and I own a crappy Epiphone Special 2, a Peavy backstage amp, two cables, a DigiTech RP50 and a Zoom 505 effects pedal, and this guitar. My favorite feature is the EMG pickups. There was no need to compare this to other guitars I saw in my price range. This baby was made for me. If it were stolen, I would consider upgrading to a EC-1000 Deluxe with Seymore Duncans. This is the best guitar ever for the price. // 10

LTD Viper-301 Reviewed by: Sordito, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: This is a ESP/LTD Viper 301, Korean made, I don't know the year. Is a SG-like guitar but with a slightly offset, beautiful design. The neck has 24 frets, flag inlays, Mahogany wood, and rosewood fretboard, with white (now little bit creamy) binding. Body is also mahogany and in this case, all (body and neck) are solid black. Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece. ESP tuners and EMG HZ passive pickups, 1 volume and 1 tone knobs and 3 position PU selector. // 9

Sound: The sound is good, I play this clean or through an DS-1 Boss distortion or Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi Russian, the EMG HZ works fine. I use 0.10 D'Addario strings and the sound is punchy, clear when is clean and really good with distortions, fat and not too brighter. Perfect for hard rock and metal rhythms. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this to a private seller, the guitar was pre-owned, so I can badly say nothing about the setup factory, but I can say this, the construction is perfect, really solid guitar, all hardware are perfectly adjusted, jack, tuners, and bridge are really solid, not loose at all. The paint job is good, totally flawless. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has a solid finish and construction, I think that this one can withstand live playing and resist years of use and abuse. The strap buttons are Dunlop straplock, the original owner change this, and was a good idea. The tuners are pretty decent and works fine, are solid but seems like the weak point in this guitar, are ESP generic and I could not guarantee their resistance. // 8

Overall Impression: I have this guitar, an ESP Traditional strat, and a pair of entry level yamahas. I've been playing over 5 or 6 years and my style is hard rock and metal, also a little bit of classics (not Beatles but Mozart and Beethoven) and this guitar work well in any style but is metal oriented instrument. Is heavy (in the weight way) so, you better use it with a good strap. In my opinion this guitar have one of the better price/quality relationship, is a really good guitar for the money. If you make some changes like substitute the EMGs for the active ones or Seymour Duncans, depending what you like, and better tuners, this guitar can be great, almost perfect. This guitar is no longer available but if were stolen, I try to buy a Viper-401 or an ESP Viper. Others high end Vipers are fabulous too but I don't like luxury finishes. If you can try or own this guitar, you will do it. Are not comparison to others on his range. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD KH-2 9.3 Electric Guitars 06/23/2014