LTD Viper-50 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD Viper-50
It offers a biting sound for a great price! Part of the LTD series, the Viper 50 features a bolt-on maple neck, Tune-O-Matic bridge w/stop tailpiece and an ESP LH-100 pickup set.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Features: 8.9
 8.3
 7.6
reviews (7) pictures (4) 37 comments vote for this gear:
LTD Viper-50 Reviewed by: flame843, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Pianos 'N' Stuff (Pittsburgh)

Features: - 24 frets - Bolt-on neck - Rosewood fingerboard, rest of neck is maple - Agathis body - Black finish - SG-style double cutaway, but kind of tilted to one side like the other Viper models - Tune-O-Matic bridge - One tone, one volume, three-way toggle - Two ESP LH-100 humbuckers - Nothing was included. My only comment is that the knobs have no numbers on them, wihich is kind of annoying. // 8

Sound: I play most kinds of metal and rock, and this guitar fits both styles well. I've never really played much else on it, though, but from screwing around with it I can tell you that it would probably sound good for blues. The humbuckers handle all distortion well, and it also sounds great played clean. I'm using it through a DigiTech RP80 and a Sunn Beta Lead, and there are no problems with this guitar on either of those. The humbuckers give it more of a rich sound, but if you know how to adjust the amp and play with the knobs on the guitar, you can get it sound any way you want. I have no comlaints here. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great when I got it, but after a month or so it got a little buzz. I've since dealt with that. The pickups were fine. Strangely, though, my volume knob doesn't work. That doesn't affect me much, but I thought it was worth noting. Other than that, the guitar is great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never played a gig with this guitar, because I don't have a band, but It hasn't broken yet, so I trust it. THe harware looks great, the finish looks durable, it's good. // 10

Overall Impression: For rock and metal, this guitar fits the bill, looks the part, and takes the cake (as well as other three-word phrases with "the" in the middle). I have been palying it for about six months. I ahve n regrets in buying this guitar. All I can say is that is owns the Ibanez GAX70, the other guitar I was considering. If someone stole it, I'd hunt them down, corner them, and beat the hell out of them with a brick. Or I'd get another one. Either way sounds good. As for what I wish it had, I'd have to go with a $100 bill dispenser, or maybe a built-in home theater system. But as for music-related stuff, it has all I need. // 10

LTD Viper-50 Reviewed by: stumtk, on november 15, 2012

Features: This is a great ESP guitar for heavy metal, hard rock, or whatever you really want to play. bolt-on construction; 24.75" scale; agathis body; maple neck; rosewood fingerboard; dot inlays; ESP LH-100 pickups; volume & tone controls w/3-way toggle; black hardware; Tune-O-Matic bridge w/stop. // 10

Sound: This guitar has great sound for metal, rock, clean, acoustic. I use a DigiTech footpedal with about 120 different effects and it sounds great with everyone. It has full sound and great quality sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar everything was in excellent working condition and I hardly had to change any of the origional setting except for tweaking a few things to my likings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very reliable and sturdy guitar. I have bounced it off walls, chairs, and pretty much anything else that was near me and I dont have a single scratch or chip taken out of it. It is a very heavy guitar which I dont mind cause I like to think that what I'm playing actually has some meat to it not like these other cheap guitars that weigh like 2 pounds and feel like they are hollow. I've had this guitar for almost a year now and I love it. Nothing has gone wrong with it except for breaking a bunch of strings but thats cause I play a lot of heavy songs. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression on this is awesome! It is a great guitar for beginners, intermediate and even advanced players. If this guitar was stole or lost I would definitly buy another one like it and if they didn't have one I'd probably go with any other one of the ESP guitars. They are all good reliable guitars that wont fall apart after a week of hard playing. // 10

LTD Viper-50 Reviewed by: billthegeek, on november 15, 2012

Features: Made in Indonesia. It has the shape of a skewed-version of the Gibson SG, possibly to avoid a lawsuit. The shape feels pretty comfortable to play with and rest on your lap. The rest of the specifications can be found on the ESP website, so I guess I won't bother to list them here. // 8

Sound: It sounds great with high gain settings, just like any other ESP guitars. Perfect for metal, rock or maybe, even blues. This guitar is built primary for heavy metal musicians who are 'high gainers' and 'gain-depraved'. However, that does not mean it sounds terrible clean either. It sounds pretty decent on clean as well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish and construction is close to perfect. Couldn't find any flaw with it. I think the glossy finish looks especially good on this guitar shape with the nice curves. The action is low enough to please shred fans, while at the same time, not too low to cause fret buzz. Perfectly nothing wrong with the pickups, switches and knobs. I have no problems with the tuners, despite some guitarist claiming the guitar can't stay in tune. Even in this case, it is nothing a screwdriver can't resolve. Another thing is, high fret access might be rather difficult because of the bolt-on joint. That is not a major concern for me since I hardly uses high frets. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems rather sturdy and reliable. I have not played it live before (have been a bedroom musician so far) but I imagine it could 'survive' a live performance. One thing you should know before you purchase this guitar is: it is a heavy guitar. When you wear it on a strap, the neck simply tilts downwards due to its heavy head, which might be a little uncomfortable to play with. // 7

Overall Impression: I play anything from thrash metal to blues. I think it does the job of any rock music perfectly. It makes a great choice if you are considering your first electric guitar or if you want to save yourself some money and get something affordable. If it was stolen, I would hunt down the thief and force he/her to get me another new one. Pros: low action, good stock pick-ups, sounds great with high gain, great shiny finish, visually-appealing, affordable price. Cons: heavy neck, hindrance to higher frets access. // 8

LTD Viper-50 Reviewed by: ManuShaalya, on november 15, 2012

Features: This one has a maple neck, rosewood fretboard, basswood body..just like most of the ESP guitars. 24 jumbo frets. This came with a wonderful bag that has lasted over 2 years just like the guitar. The ESP LH 150 pickups give it a nice strong sound. The viper shape looks killer! // 8

Sound: I play all kinds of music. This particularly seemed right for metal. The pickups are wonderful giving it a good tone. I use it with a Marshall amp and Boss gt8. Also with the Zoom g2.1u. The clean sound is warm just like any other ESP. Totally love it! Its not noisy. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came home in a wonderful state. The action was just right. The tuning was perfect. I just had to plug it in and play. But the neck pickup seemed a little low for me. I had to raise it. But besides that I didn't have any problem. But after a few months the volume knob loosened. I still have a problem with that. It can be repaired anytime though! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has lasted a lot of shows already and..and I never use a backup! I'm not planning on replacing it. This has lasted two years and seems like it will last much longer. There is not a single scratch on it..may be its because of the way I have maintained it! // 10

Overall Impression: Although it has an awesome sound, this is not a shred guitar! I haven't been able to shred as easily on this as on the Ibanez 350 or the lp. This is good for playing those heavy metal riffs and seems easier for that. I just wish it had a tremolo bar. If it were lost/stolen, I'd probably buy the ESP ec50! If you want to buy a guitar to play those metal riffs, buy it for its amazing sound. If you just want to shred or if you want to try fingerstyle, there are better guitars! // 8

LTD Viper-50 Reviewed by: paco12324, on november 15, 2012

Features: 24 frets, Bolt-on neck, Rosewood fingerboard, rest of neck is maple, Agathis body, Black finish, SG-style double cutaway, but kind of tilted to one side like the other Viper models, Tune-O-Matic bridge, One tone, one volume, three-way toggle, Two ESP LH-100 humbuckers, Nothing was included. Only problem was the black finish-it will always need cleaning. // 9

Sound: I play mostly Punk, Blues, Rock, and Metal, and this is definitly the guitar for these genres. I use it through a Roland MicroCube, Tascam MP-GT1, and Fender Rumble-15, and A Fender BP-15. the microcube and (especially) the Tascam have a broad arrangment of tones. There is a wide variety of tones this guitar can produce, although there is a very rich sound quality from this particular guitar. Overall, no problems. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish and construction is so close to perfection. Couldn't find any flaw with it what'soever. Other than the finish, black, which needs through cleaning, the pickups are fine, and the volume knob... could be better. Other than that, the guitar is great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It has not yet been played Live, although, it seems durable enough. The strap buttons are quite possibly the best I have used yet, durable and will hold for long. would play fine at a gig without a backup. although, the day after I had bought this, half of the strings broke -- probably of use. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for any style player. If this guitar was stole or lost I would definitly buy another one like it and if I can't find one, would definitly choose another ESP over any other guitar of that price. I have played for about 6 years now, and this is certainly my favorite in my collection. My other choices for when I bought this were either an Ibanez 7-string, or a Vox 30 watt -- and I definitly do not rue the day. it certainly beats my Fender Strat any day of the week! // 10

LTD Viper-50 Reviewed by: riflesndaisies, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Academey of Sound

Features: My guitar personally was built in 2007 in Indonesia and was a special guitar with a matching colour headstock instead of the usual black LTD headstock. It had: 24 jumbo frets ESP Lh-150 Humbuckers H/H configuration TOM bridge 1 volume and tone pot Solid Top in Black Cherry Red ESP Tuners. I had this guitar in part of a deal and got a whirlwind cable and case for 35 altogether. // 10

Sound: I play mainly Heavy Metal and Rock, mostle songs by Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC and other simmilar bands. It will play these songs very well but without a decent set-up or higher end pickups it may struggle on harmonics. Through certain amps it will be very buzzy like through my guitar teachers JVM. I use a Spider iii for practising and a DSL Halfstack for gigging and it plays through them very well. It is a very warm sounding guitar however has a great range of versataltity from great cleans to very harsh grinding distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The viper was not set-up from the box and was way out of tune and took a while to have it ready to play. The pickups were about mid height and needed to be as high as possible to get near to decent harmonics. For a bolt on neck it had a lot of sustain. The only flaws I have with this guitar is how quick the bridge has turned Orange from playing it but otherwise this guitar is brilliant // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very resillient, I have knocked it picking it up and it has not dented or chipped and tuners are very sturdy for stock parts. The strap buttons are very tight and the strap has never fallen off apart from when I first tried to put it on. I would still not go live without a backup because of string breakages and I need another for drop d tunings anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is ideal for any people starting to play metal or rock and I have used it for the 2 and a half years I've been playing. I wished before I had bought it however that I had known about Floyd Rose trems or else I would have bout the V or Horison. If this guitar was ever stolen I would definately buy a viper again but probably a more expensive model. Its best feature is that it is a superb version of a metal SG and would recommend it to anyone wanting a G-400 or a Vintage SG. If I knew anyone who could do it I would definately have it routed just for a FR as SGs are awesome. // 8

LTD Viper-50 Reviewed by: iluvsushi2650, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: A$ 399

Purchased from: Rockshop

Features: - 24 frets - fret-board's rosewood, rest of neck maple - SG style double cutaway body, one side is more tilted - One volume, one tone and 3 way toggle - Jet black finish - Didn't include any accessories // 9

Sound: Sounds great with rock and blues. I think it would suit lot's of different genres. The neck is a comfortable size. Sounds great with distortion (using my noob Ashton amp). I've had it for about 10 months and there's a problem with the toggle, when I change it, it stops sound coming from my amp so I have to wiggle it then sound starts coming out again. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It had a great finish. Not much problems, but there are just a few that can be ignored. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has a few scratches, but it still looks new even though I accidentally dropped it a few times. This guitar seems very durable, and seems like it would last a very, very long time. I would definitely use it for a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues/rock, it's a great guitar for this music style, better for rock in my opinion. I've been playing for 3 years (still a noob, but I'll get there). If the guitar was stolen I would call the police and make them find the stupid idiot who steals people's guitars! I could always get another one, although I don't have any money... Just a 14 year old chick:L. I will admit, I chose this guitar because of the SG style cutaway, originally I wanted to buy a Gibson SG but it's way, WAY outta my budget (I don't have a budget, just save cash from my allowance). Overall it's an awesome guitar, great price, great sound! // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014