Maverick Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: Maverick
It has a 24 fret bolt on neck with a rosewood fretboard as well as abalone side dots for inlays. There are 2 knobs for tone and volume and your generic 3 way toggle switch.
 8.7
 9.6
 7.8
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Maverick Reviewed by: N_I_N-621, on november 15, 2012

Features: I believe it was a 1991 model, MIJ ESP (not LTD). It has a 24 fret bolt on neck with a rosewood fretboard as well as abalone side dots for inlays. Mine came in a pearl white finish, but in lower lights, it looks almost cream. It has an Alder Superstrat body with an ESP Liscensed Floyd Rose and an EMG 81 in the bridge and an SA in the neck. There are 2 knobs for tone and volume and your generic 3 way toggle Switch. The tuners are ESP goth-style tuners. // 10

Sound: I play a wide variety of music such as thrash, death, melodic, black metal as well as some punk/hardcore and metalcore. I use a Peavey Studio Pro 112, and the pickups work very well for my styles of music. The EMGs give excellent distortion, and the clean in the SA isn't too bad. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was just where I wanted it when I recieved it. It had a little fret buzz on the EAD strings but after I switched to a different guage, it is less noticable. Other than that everything was perfect, but after a little while of playing, I noticed a small stress crack in the paint near the neck joint. I have heard that this is common on alot of bolt neck guitars including the Ibanez RGs and it has not affected my sound in anyway so I am not concerned. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played a couple of times with my band using this guitar, and I am positive it would work well in a gig. The hardware is top shape, and I was actually surprised at the quality of the Floyd being that it was an ESP copy. The strap buttons are somewhat small, but my Kepur strap holds on well. I have never played any gigs, but from what I have heard, you should never go into a gig without a backup, no matter how good the guitar. So far, the guitar seems to be top notch, and I think it will last me a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: For my style of music, this guitar was a godsend. I also own an Ibanez GAX30 which is not a bad beginners guitar. If someone stole this guitar, I would find them, beat them, and hang them by their testicles for the rest of their miserable life. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014