SV Standard Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: SV Standard
Body: Alder, Neck: Maple (Thru), Fingerboard: Ebony with White binding, Scale: 25.5," Tuners: Deluxe Gotoh (Locking), Bridge: Original Floyd Rose, Frets: 24 / XJ, Neck pickup: EMG81, Bridge pickup: EMG81, Controls: 1 Volume , 3-way toggle switch, Case included.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.5
 8.9
 8.7
reviews (3) 53 comments vote for this gear:
SV Standard Reviewed by: TimmerGuitarMan, on november 15, 2012

Features: - Body: Alder - Neck: Maple (Thru) - Fingerboard: Ebony with White binding - Scale: 25.5" - Tuners: Deluxe Gotoh (Locking) - Bridge: Original Floyd Rose - Frets: 24 / XJ - Neck pickup: EMG81 - Bridge pickup: EMG81 - Controls: 1 Volume , 3-way toggle switch - Case included. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal, so this guitar suits it to a tee. It has a very full sound when distorted and a lovely clean tone without. I use a Behringer 120 watt with it and a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, which gives it an amazing metal tone. The guitar itself is capable of many different techniques thanks to the whammy bar and the extremely thin neck. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got the guitar it was in perfect condition, no visible flaws, if any at all. One main concern was that when I pull the whammy bar up to create an inverted dip, sometimes a string would snap off at the base of the guitar, but this has since stopped. The action of the guitar is a tad too high as well, but I'm blaming this on down tuning, and the fact that I can't be bothered re-adjusting the bridge. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would be able to last a lot! I've bumped it off of things and the worst that's happened is I've hurt myself. All of the hardware seems as though it's gonna last a very long time. Not being in a band myself I wouldn't be able to tell you if it would last at a gig, but I'm gonna hazard a guess at yes, it would! And it would probably be the best guitar there! // 9

Overall Impression: The overall impression is 10/10. Best guitar I've ever played. ESP have the greatest looking and sounding collection of guitars that I have ever heard. The EMG's give it a sexy tone with awesome harmonics! I think for a fan of metal, this is the guitar for me, and if you wanna risk not getting any presents for the next 10 years, it's the guitar for you too! // 10

SV Standard Reviewed by: Psycho_McFool, on november 15, 2012

Sound: This guitar dishes out an excellent metal tone when put through a DigiTech Death Metal into a 12 watt Practice Amp. What it sounds like through a Randall RH300G3 (my amplification goal) I can only imagine. A chunky rhythm tone reminiscent of DevilDriver barraged my ears as well as my neighbours'. The palm mutes literally shook my bedroom walls. This guitar absolutely wails when I play leads, and this is without wah. Harmonics really scream with the EMG 81s and a Floyd Rose bridge allows awesome Dimebag squeals. However, the clean tone of the bridge EMG 81 isn't the cleanest. It had the slightest bit of overdrive to it, but it sounds excellent when put through a slow flanger effect. The neck pickup puts out the most amazingly serene cleans. A little bit of reverb and it would sound positively lush. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got Kosmic to set up the Floyd Rose with 10-52 Strings tuned to D Standard (low to high: D, G, C, F, A, D). The action was perfect, I found myself playing the SV with absolute comfort. The pickups were just the right height for me to do crazy pitch bending with the Floyd Rose. The locking nut kept perfect tuning very well. I'm currently debating whether or not to Switch the Gotoh Machine Heads with Locking Sperzels. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would stand out on stage like Shaquile O'Neil among a crowd of Albino midgets. It's incredibly lightweight, but it has handled anything & everything I've done and Still Remains perfect. The only thing I would worry about is string breakage, and that happens to everyone. The finish could stay on forever, it's great! // 10

Overall Impression: As a young death metal/progressive metal/neoclassical lead guitarist, this guitar is my perfect partner in crime. I've only been playing for almost 2 years, but I know that I'll keep this guitar until the day I die. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I would definitely buy another one. The Floyd Rose really adds to my creativity, and the tone put out by this guitar is excellent. I've played Jackson RR1s and RR24s before, but this takes the cake. A definite must have for all extreme metal lead guitarists. // 10

SV Standard Reviewed by: tiyfs, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: used

Features: - Not sure when it was manufactured - 24 XJ frets - Black with creme pinstripes, gold hardware - 3 piece maple neck-thru, I think it has alder wings. - neck had a clear finish - Original Floydrose - 2 81's and a PA2 afterburner had been installed - single volume, 3 way pickup selector, EMG PA2 - Gotoh tuners - fitting hardcase // 9

Sound: This is my first neck thru instrument, had to get used to it. Cause of the maple neck it had a bright tone, the EMG's couldn't disguise it. It came stock with 2 EMG 81's, the 81 in the neck is alright. I had a spare ahb-2 blackout, so I tried that in the neck, it was wayyyy to bassy so I put the 81 back in. I mean the tone is alright, I just think it should have come with a more versatile pick up combo (like an 85 in the neck or 89/81tw combo). I play all genres, but I keep this one just for metal, it handles the drop tunning well, but I am still not convinced this is the best sound this axe has to offer. When I have time, I'm going to experiment with some passive pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: - got it used, cannot comment - the bridge intonation is amazing (now I see the difference between an OFR and a LFR.) - shape is very comfortable to play sitting and standing. - Now comes the part what cause me to write the review, the FLAWS (ESP employees, I hope you read this) - the neck. The online description LIED. It's supposed to have a thin U profile. THIS had a FAT neck. I have an ltd mh-400, that has a thin U, I measured the difference in circumference, there was a difference of 4mm. It may not seem as much, but when you are used to a certain profile, trust me your hands can feel the difference. It was probably due to the thick layer of lacquer (or whatever the hell it was on the neck) - the locking nut was a size too small. It is an R2, when it should have been a R3 or R4. They messed up cutting the slot for the locking nut, it wasn't leveled flat, it had not only a shim but a small piece of sand paper to fill in the gap. - the fret work: now I understand that I live in a HOT an humid region (the normal temperature here is 36-45 Celsius) so i can understand the excuse that the climate has an effect on the guitar, but still, the corners of the frets, 40% of them had risen out off the fret board. I have an ltd, and have gigged with it regularly, THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO THAT. - if you tilt the guitar in the light, you can see the paint how the finish has slightly indented on where the neck meets the wings ( did the guys in the factory not put primer and level it before painting?) - the HEEL - for a neck thru, the heel off this thing should have been MUCH thinner, it is not like having shaved off a few centimeters was in any way going to cause issues for structural integrity. It is way to bulky how it comes stock. // 3

Reliability & Durability: - the shape is a bit fragile, its a rhaods after all, so you have to handle with care. - the hardware is top notch, it will last - strap buttons are solid, but it should have come with strap locks - it has a floating trem so you need to have a back up guitar - the finish is good and thick, it will last. // 9

Overall Impression: - I dabble in metal / neoclassical / technical stuff. I bought this guitar for that reason, it fits that genre perfectly. I have it tunned at drop C, so I can't really use it for cleaner genres (again I wish it had a different pickup in the neck, that way I could have used it for other genres...) - been playing for about 4 years, I have a ESP LTD MH-400 (made in Korea, my favorite guitar), a mij Fender Stratocaster (got this for a steal, it was my beater guitar, modded the hell out off it), a 1983 Burny Les Paul (put in a pair of Duncan antiquities, it can destroy any Gibson). I use a Vox vt30, it is a great little amp, a 535q crybaby is the only pedal i really use. - if it were stolen, I would get a fixed bridge version of a rhoads guitar or an ESP eclipse. - I love the shape. - I already listed out my peevs about this guitar. -the interesting bit, I have experience in making and modding guitars, the way i figured it, I am not going to compromise on this guitar, I don't care how much its worth, I bought it to paly, not to look pretty. I took things into my own hands. I fixed the frets, sanded the neck finish off and made the profile thinner (more comfortable), I also butchered the heel joint and carved it the way the guys at ESP should have made it in the first place. Now that all the saw dust has settled, the paint has been touched up, the fret work done, and the action set up just the way i like it, it plays like a dream. - I got this cause I love the shape and got it for a great bargain, so I didn't really compare, I just read reviews on line and the specs, I assumed that it would be surpass my ltd, I was mistaken. - It needed work, but now it is alive and well, it is a good guitar, not great, other than its shape, there is nothing about it that is memorable, well not for the good reasons anyway. // 6

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600EC Gus G 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014