Truckster Review

review (1) pictures (1) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Truckster Reviewed by: georgakis187, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 1300

Purchased from: ESP Depot

Features: Made in 2005, Japan. Been in an ESP depot/collector for 5 years, unplayed, plastic coverings were still on the pickups, knobs etc. The Truckster has 22 jumbo frets, over a 24.75inch rosewood fretboard. The whole guitar is Les Paul shaped, solid mahogany (neck and body), and I think there's some maple top under all the matte finish. Speaking of finish, its a regular black ESP eclipse, with the matte (gray) painted over it, and sanded down at specific places to expose the white red and black normal finish, that lies under the gray matte primer. The bridge, a Tonepros TOM bridge, with a stoptail piece. Awesome quality parts. This guitar normally comes with an EMG 81/60 set, but this one had a EMG 81/85 set. I suspect someone swapped out the 60 for an 85. I hate the sound of the 85 so I ll be switching it back shortly. there's a vol knob for each pickup, and a master tone knob. There are 2 switches on the guitar, one, the lower one, controls pickup selection. The other, near the neck, on top, does nothing, just like James Hetfield' s very own guitar. The tuners are Sperzel locking tuners. Not much to be said. They re known for being awesome, and Mega stable. The guitar came with a ESP custom shop case, pretty sturdy, and looks nice. This guitar only gets a 9 here for the 85 EMG, which is soon to become a 10, since I ll be switching out the 85 for a 60. // 9

Sound: Sounds amazing. Its James Hetfield' s sig guitar, its made for metal, and i m pretty sure when i get the EMG 60 in, that it can do cleans and bluesy stuff with ease. Overall the guitar sounds EPIC. I used to bash EMGs in cheap guitars, or alder guitars (they are TOO bright in my humble opinion), but in a solid chunk of mahogany, they sound pretty damn good. Not noisy at all, VERY full, as opposed to EMGs in brighter sounding guitars. Might consider doing the 18v mod, and adding a killswitch to the unused switch. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was flawless, even after sitting in its case for 5 years. Neck needed an 1/8th of a turn on the truss rod, to get the neck just at the right angle that I like it. Pickups were well adjusted, the EMG 85 had to go a bit lower for my tastes, but like I said, I dislike this pickup, so it doesn't really matter what I think of it... The guitar has absolutely no construction flaws, I get why this guitar costs around $2000 new. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As stated above, guitar is flawless. Fixed bridge, so no worries about string breakage during a show... Schaller straplocks, meant to last. No dropping this guitar. I would gig without a backup, but I d play in different tunings, so I d want more than one guitar around. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar is perfect for the music I play. Compared to other guitars I've owned, it is by far the best. I've had Japanese Jacksons, an LTD, a Dean custom, and a USA Carvin custom, and this guitar smokes them, for the music I'm interested in. If it was stolen, I d probably never find such a good deal on it again :D. BUT, I d still definitely go for another ESP, since I'm now convinced, that they make amazing guitars. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014