60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
The limited-edition standard Series 60th Anniversary Stratocaster guitar features a distinctive Blizzard Pearl finish on its alder body, a modern C-shaped tinted maple neck, a 60th Anniversary stamped neck plate, three Tex-Mex pickups, vintage-style synchronized tremolo and a custom gig bag. A true diamond in the rough!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.5
 8.5
 8.7
 8.2
reviews (7) pictures (1) 101 comments vote for this gear:
60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar, like all standard Stratocasters, has 22 medium jumbo frets and a fast action maple neck, coupled with Fender's traditional Alder wood body. In this case, it has a very nice deep C-shaped, American Strat style neck that just fits so naturally in your hand. The bridge tremolo system is nice and light, and the saddles are stlyed like a Vintage Stratocaster. This guitar is finished in a pearloid silver (Blizard Pearl). It has the standard 5-way selection for the pickups, and has 2 tone and a volume pot. A special commemorative gig bag was included. The guitar also has an engraved diamond anniversary neck plate and a little inlay on the back of the head with a similar logo. // 10

Sound: This guitar has an amazing sound. The three Tex-Mex pickups give a brilliant variety of tones for any style of music from blues to punk rock. It sounds great clean, and holds this with distortion. It gives a very nice, clear sound through my Roland Cube-60, and will probably sound even better through something like a Fender Twin Reverb. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup on this guitar is perfect. The action is smooth and light, and the pickup poles have been adjusted to give a consistent sound quality. The action with both strings and neck is absolutely brilliant, and is one of the nicest feeling guitars I have ever come across. There was a slight blemish on the finish near the truss rod, which is why I got this guitar a bit cheaper than the RRP, thoguh this doesn't show up unless you're looking for it! Overall, though, the finish is lovely, with a nice coat of laquer and a beautifully tinted vintage-look maple wood neck. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar holds tuning very well, even with use of the tremolo system. I haven't had chance to play it live yet, but I see no reason why it wouldn't stand up to a gig. The strap buttons are solid much like the rest of the guitar's build. The hardware is all of high quality, as I have come to expect from Fender, I suspect they will last me a good time yet! // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly punk rock, and this guitar suits me to a tee. I compared this guitar to other guitars, including Highway 1 American Stratocasters and also the standard Mexican Stratocaster in the shop, and in my opinion this is a nicer instrument, as it just feels right to me. Basically, for the price this guitar is an incredible instrument. It sounds and feels like a guitar you'd expect to be paying atleast 600 for, for only slightly more than the ordinary Mexican Strats. If it was lost of stolen, I'd try my hardest to find another, but they are quite rare and only in production this year. This fact means that future resale and collector's value will be quite high, though that is by no means the reason I chose this guitar. All in all, I think it's a great buy for the money, highly reccomended! // 10

60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Stefan123, on november 09, 2012

Sound: The sound is great but you have to get new pickups. The ones that come with the guitar are stock pickups. I recomend that Fender Vinatge Strat Noiseless Pickups. They really bring out the sound in the guitar. I use it on all settings it depends what I am playing. I usally distort the guitar but on clean it sounds perfect. The guitar has a wide varity of sounds and can have a tremlo bar attached to it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: No flaws from the factory the finish was perfect! I replaced the pickups so I would not know if they were placed right. Yes the top was bookmatched and bridge was fine. I did not like the strings that came with the guitar I would recommend the Fender bullets ten gauge they also bring out the best sound in the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is vey durable with the hard case. Strao buttons are solid. Yes I use the guitar at a gig without a backup (but I do have backup strings). Pickguard is solid and can be replaced if it gets too beat up. The pickguard doesn't seem to scrach very little or if at all. I could trust my life with this guitar! // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk rock and pop punk and it really make the power choards sound great! I have been playing for about 3. If this guitar was stolen I would kill the dude that did it. Great guitar difintly get it! I would difinty get it over the Gibson SG, it mabey more money but it has a better sound and better quaility. // 10

60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: mustaineisbetr, on november 09, 2012

Features: The only significant detail that is noticable to this guitar, is the little circle logo on the back of the headstock. I purchased mine in a left handed Electron Blue. It is a very nice looking guitar. It comes with a 3 ply pick gurad and comes in several different colors, like black, chrome, brown sunburst, midnight wine, and arctic white, coming in either rosewood or a maple neck. Comfort-contoured alder body, three single-coil pickups and standard synchronized tremolo. It has a 5-way pickup selector, with a gold Switch. 21 Medium Jumbo frets, Fender/Ping Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines. Comes with a Standard Fender Gig Bag. // 8

Sound: I have used it on a full size Peavey PA system. It gives that signature Strat sound, with all the versatility of any other guitar. On the bridge pickup, it gives a thick tele-style sound. It sounds great with all different kind of effects, and can play any style of music that you desire. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it from the store, it has great action, havent had to mess with it, and the strings had a fine sound, even though they were the stock Fender Super Bullet stings. I had to adjust the middle and neck pick up after purchasing, but it only takes 15 seconds with a screwdriver. The only problem that I had, I have with all my guitars is that the input jack becomes loose from removing cables, and rattles sometimes. It will cut out if not tightned. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Everything seems very solid, it can take the abuse of the whammy bar, and still sound great and stay in tune. I think I will have this guitar, and pass it down to my kid, becuase I think with the right TLC, this guitar can last. // 9

Overall Impression: I play alot of classic rock, and some metal, even with the effects the guitar can follow, and still sound right for what I play. I like this guitar and I would love to have another, just with a floyd rose tremelo instead. If you are going to buy a Strat, invest in a floyd rose tremelo. // 9

60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: FrozenSheep, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Tom Lee

Features: This is a Mexican made Strat features a Diamond on the head stock. Though the description above said pearl finish, I happen to have one in olympic white [very sexy color]. It has a maple neck, Standard pick ups and an alder body. It has a 5-way selector and comes with a gig bag and a whammy bar. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of Classic Roock, blues, funk and, metal and this guitar seems to satisfy most of my needs with the help of my Zoom G2 effects pedal. I run this through a Fender frontman and it was a warm sound on the neck pick up and a twangy sound on the bridge. It handels well with distortions. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar didin't come with any flaws exept that I wanted the bridge to be a whammy bar instead of a tremelo bar, and the tuning pegs are a bit loose. The only thing you need to add to this guitar is some locking tuning pegs and your ready to go. You might have to adjust the pick ups to your prefernces but that takes about 10 secounds. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The straps are solid and the hardware seems to be ok for now (no faults yet). The finish is very beautyful but not indistructable (meaning don't scracht it). I would defently use it for a gig. I did come with a crack on the paint job near the neck but I didin't return it cause of the fact it'll take em a while to get another one and I don't wanna wait that long. // 8

Overall Impression: If you can't afford an american Strat just pick this up with some locking tuning pegs and you have your Strat. Any classic rock, blues, or funk player out there should be satisfyed with the sound. It handels good with distortion but if your a metal head, save up for an Epiphone or a Gibson. // 8

60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: Arkery, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is a Fender (Mexican made) 60th Anniversary Standard Strat, I grabbed this beauty in a dark red metallic color. It comes with a Standard gig bag, it's pretty flimsy, but it gets the job done. It has 22 frets, and has the basic Fender tuners. It comes equipped with 3 single coil pickups, 2 tones 1 volume, and a 5-way selector. // 8

Sound: I normally play Blues, and it suites it amazingly. It has a very full sound however it does make a hum, but I got over it. I run it through a Line 6 Spider III with various pedals, and it can nail just about any tone except for death metal. The harmonics on this baby ring as if it was born to just throw them out, especially when cranked. One of the best things about this guitar is the 5-way selector, mixed with the right set ups, this sound can really get bright, or when cranked with distortion, she has great ability to chug thoughs palm mutes. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got my guitar, the action wasn't what I wanted, ten minutes and I had it set up great. The pickups were adjusted perfectly to suite my style of play. The only real problem was that the pick guard wasn't screwed on properly and that the input jack was a little loose, once more a vary easy fix. I am greatly satisfied with this guitar, because once I got this thing set up right, it matched my American Strat in both speed and playability. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've dinged thing guitar, dropped it, the works, and she still plays like the first day I got her. This guitar was built to last, and it probably will last me quite a while before I need to buy replacement parts/pieces. This guitar due to the hum is deffinately not made to play at gigs, however if my American Strat broke, I could depend on this to finish the job. // 8

Overall Impression: Basically this guitar suites my style perfectly, and with a little tweaking, it can fit just about any style of play with general ease. I've been playing for 10 years now, and I own many guitars, including a '72 Strat, that I play all the time. And even though this guitar isn't the sound of my American Strat, or Les Paul. It's still a great buy. For the price I really couldn't find much better. I do wish it came with an optional hardshell case, however. I think this guitar can deffinately be used as a starting guitar, or for an experienced player, all in all, good deal. // 9

60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mine is the 60th Ammiversary Commemorative US made, Stratocaster, not the MIM one. It features a Jeweled headstock inlay, stamped commemorated neckplate, pearloid Dot position markers, alder body, maple neck w/rosewood fretboard with rolled fingerboard edges, medium jumbo frets. The pickups are American Vintage 57 pups, a 2 point tremolo w/ stainless steel saddles, Delta tone system and parchment knobs and pup covers. A custom Silver Solarium case w/dark red plush and embroidered interior is also included. // 10

Sound: This guitar has Vintage written all over it and is perfect for Blues, although if you're using an effects processor, you can get it to do Metal as well.I'm using my Frontman 65R with this as well as my Zoom John5 effects pedal. The pups on this, are pretty quiet when in the 2 or 4th position, but when in any other, they'll hum just as any single coil guitar will. I've been using a MIM before I got this, and to be honest, there is no comparision. I'm hooked on this one, but I'll still keep my Mexican. I've put too much time into modding her, plus she's got some mojo and too many memories. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had to adjust the pickups a bit and the intonation on both E strings. Also tightened up the back springs just a lil' bit. Other than that, it was set up pretty well. When I got this yesterday, it had never been played and still had the plastic on the pickguard and backplate. My firend who I bought this from, had bought this just as a collectable piece, but he needed the money due to hard times.I did put a new set of D'Addarios on her, and once I did that, she was ready to go. The neck on this a bit wider than my MIM, but it onlt took me a few minutes to get used to it. The action on this guitar is superb and it actually seems to be a bit lighter in weight than my MIM. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a American made Strat, so I don't think there's going to be any problems whatsoever! I've been using my MIM for almost 4 years without any problems, so you do the math. Fenders are the best guitars IMO, and I just can't see myself playing anything else. This is the guitar that I've been waiting my whole life for and now my collection is complete! Of course, if I were to ever come across another one for a low price, I won't say no. You can never have enough Strats as far as I'm concerned. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, 80's Hair Metal, and some occasion blues. I got over 37 years experience and this is the guitar that I've been searching for all my life! If anything ever happened to it, I would without a doubt, get another one. Once you go american, there's no going back! This is a keeper and I will not let anyone, I repeat, anyone, put their paws on it! // 10

60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster Reviewed by: mikebwly, on november 09, 2012

Features: I bought this guitar about five months ago always been between buying one but I thought if not I would regret it eventually. I have now fallen in love with Fender guitars. I'm more of a PRS man myself but now had a new light for fenders. Also looking into getting a Telecaster. // 7

Sound: It does have quite a full sound. I was worried with buying it that it was going to be to twangy with its sound but with the tone knobs set and it set on the fourth switch selector I have found a nice sound. I thing that having the maple kneck version of it makes quite a difference with the sound and the playing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I did have to re-set the action when I bought it due to the fact that coming from the factory thhe string hights were all different. Apart from that and changing the strings which is expected I couldnt fault how it was set at all. Is a good guitar to play. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I was very pleased about how the guitar was when I bought it. I could easyly take this guitar to a performance and trust it 100 percent. I have put strap locks on it for my own peice of mind because the guitar does get thrown about a little when being played. I've heard that stratocasters only play better and get a nicer tone as they get older so I'm looking forward to playing it in years to come. // 8

Overall Impression: Yeah its a nice guitar to play and does have a nice tone. Not over exited about it seing as I've played many other guitars which I think are better. I would suggest buying one due to the fact that its very good for your money and once set up it has a nice sound, a smaller neck good for solo's and bar chords. I'm more into 80s hair metal so I'm looking for more of a deeper metal sound. Still a good guitar for the buy. // 7

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014