'62 Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: '62 Telecaster
The double-bound alder body and multi-ply pickguard that dressed up the '62 Telecaster guitar distinguished it from its Butterscotch predecessor.
review (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
'62 Telecaster Reviewed by: lithium26, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Japan

Features: A '62 Telecaster: TL62B-TX. 3-tone sunburst. Crafted in Japan, 2007 or 2008. Maple neck, 21 frets. Oval shape (feels like a C-shaped neck), 324mm scale, according to the Fender Japan website. It feels like nitrocellulose lacquer finish (very smooth, gets sticky after long periods of playing), and has a alder body. The Standard tele-style bridge, and on the control plate, a 3-way switch, volume and tone knobs. SS configuaration, the same as your average Telecaster, just with USA Texas Specials. Gotoh machine heads. Comes with a heavily-padded Fender gig bag. Couldn't ask for more. Except maybe a hardcase. // 10

Sound: I play blues, heavy rock, rock and a bit of metal. It suits blues and the rock genres. Definitely not a heavy metal machine. It is excellent for lead guitar playing, but is lacking in rythm playing. It is very bright, expected of the texas specials. It is suprisingly, not noisy at all. Less noisy than my Jaguar. I'm using it with a Laney LC15R, and it's bridge pickup and the bright switch sounds absolutely amazing. What you'd expect with a tele. The neck pickup is also very good, but I had to tweak it for a while to find a decent rythm setting. This guitar is definitely not for rythm guitarists. It reacts with my Tubescreamer and OCD very well. The bridge pickup rivals my MIA Jaguar very well, but rhythm wise, I'd pick my Jaguar over the Tele. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up almost perfect, suprisingly. It had been on a plane, yet was quite in tune when I first got it. The only problem is the slight buzz on the A string, but that can be easily fixed. Everything was perfect, and I absolutely love the aesthetics. 3-tone sunburst and white binding looks absolutely amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I only had it for about a week, but I'd say it is pretty reliable. I only had to tune it once, when I first recieved it. The strap buttons are solid, and nothing bad happened so far. I would definitely be able to gig with it without a backup. The finish seems to be able to withstand lots of playing, but then again, a slightly relic-ed Telecaster looks sexy. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar overall. But, it can't really do rhythm very well, but that is expected with telecasters. Maybe I'd have to adjust my amp a bit more to find it's sweet rythm setting, but I still love it. Couldn't ask for more, as I got it at a good price. No shipping! If it were stolen, I'd probrably get the same thing, or maybe the Thinline Tele, or a Mustang. I compared it with my MIA Jaguar, which cost me more than twice the amount of this tele, and I got to say, it can rival the Jaguar for lead guitar playing! // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ '64 Bandmaster Head 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/22/2014