'65 Mustang Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: '65 Mustang
Fender's reissue of the '65 Mustang Electric Guitar, hearkens back to the first full year of Mustang production. This reissue Mustang has great color and cosmetic options, as well as a heightened level of period-correct detailing (body wood, logos, etc.)
 9.3
 9.4
 9.1
review (1) 28 comments vote for this gear:
'65 Mustang Reviewed by: thewho65, on november 09, 2012

Features: 2006 Made in Japan model (actually, all Mustangs are made in Japan) I borrowed. It has a rosewood neck with 22 frets and has those Vintage white-tipped tuners. The poplar body has two Mustang single-coils with their traditional slider controls. The guitar itself only has a master volume and master tone. // 10

Sound: I played this guitar with a Fender Champion 600 and it sounded great. Cleans were magnificent as usual. It handles overdrive very well too. I don't think it's capable of metal with it's stock pickups though. I also played it through a Vox Valvetronix and it sounds good with the effects on the Vox. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it the string were a little rusty. Despite this, it still sounded marvelous. The action on the Mustang is very comfortable and doesn't buzz at all. The slider controls are easy once you get used to them. The neck can get a little sticky though, that my only complaint. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built pretty tough. All the hardware is in place and seems durable. The tuners probably are a bit more sensitive. I'd be a little more careful with it than a Telecaster, though. The strap buttons are solid and when playing with a strap, this thing feels almost as if it's hardly there. Yeah, it's that light. // 9

Overall Impression: I like to play varied styles so the Mustang's versatility is good for me. Like I said, metal seems a little unreal but with the right pedals and noise gates you can pull it off (with the stick pickups). If this thing were stolen from me, well, let's just say they'd be dealt with. I think the only thing I'm not particularly fond of is the finishing Fender used on this guitar. Other than that, this guitar is great. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ '64 Bandmaster Head 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/22/2014