'72 Telecaster Deluxe Review

8.8
reviews (7) 92 comments vote for this gear:
'72 Telecaster Deluxe Reviewed by: burntomato, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Tom Lee Hong Kong

Features: This reissued '72 Telecaster Deluxe is made in 2006-2007 from Mexico. It has 21 frets and a C-shaped maple neck. The '72 Telecaster Deluxe is available in alder and Ash, mines is a walnut alder. The body style is Tele but string-thru, and it has Gibson style 3-way pickups. The main difference between the '72 Tele Custom and Deluxe is that the Custom has a single coil neck pickup and the Deluxe has humbuckers for both neck and bridge. It also has seperate 2 volume and 2 tone controls for the 2 humbucker pickups. The '72 Tele Deluxe comes with a gig bag, tools for the neck adjustment and manual. // 8

Sound: The 'wide range' humbuckers and alder body give the '72 Tele Deluxe a very thick and warm sound. It is good for heavy rock and punk, and maybe blues. However it doesn't have as much tonal variety as the Standard single-coil Tele's since the humbuckers can't make the sharp sounds. I use my guitars on a 15W amp, the sound is pretty good even without effects. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is very good, the pickups on mines weren't adjusted too well and there were minor problems with the pickup adjustment screws so it was hard to adjust and I scratched my pickguard several times. However the other parts of the guitar is fairly good quality and I especially like the maple neck which has a nice finish and made from good quality wood. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems to be very durable, but I think the pickups could be improved since they don't really fit that well. The guitar is good enough to last, except for the pickguard which I scratched on mine and it's hard to find an aftermarket 72' Tele pickguard. I carry it around in the gig bag which came with it, the gig is think and cushioned so it would be ok. The guitar will withstand Live playing but I think the most important factor is how comfortable to play or if you like the feel of it or not. // 9

Overall Impression: I play from blues to heavy rock, it is a good match for most heavy rock songs but sometimes I prefer to use my other guitars in blues or country. The only things I don't like about this guitar is the classic style neck which is thicker than most other guitars, which is sometimes uncomfortable to play especially when jamming. Also I think the Tele bodies aren't that well shaped and smooth because the body doesn't have the curve they have on Strats which let the right arm to rest IMO. It's a very nice and special guitar but if it was stolen I would get another guitar which feels more comfortable than the '72. I also wish there is a tremolo bridge fitted because it is String-thru, installing Strat bridges won't be a problem. Anyways the '72 Deluxe has a very good warm sound and is more Gibson and heavy rock style, it has a good finish, good sound and certainly a good guitar for 700$. // 8

'72 Telecaster Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar was reissued in 2004 it was made in mexico, it was made with 21 frets this guitar also has a lackerd neck and headstock, the head stock also has Vintage Fender tuners. You can buy the guitar in either a black, walnut or sunburst finnish I bougth mine in black the only problem with that is you can get smuge marks on the guitar but that can be easily. The bridge is a Fender bridge. This guitar also has 5 knobs two for volume and two for tone, the pickup on the guitar are Fender wide range pickups and to finnish it up the guitar come with a Fender deluxe gig bag. And also some of these guitars come with a Fender 60th anniversary stamp on the headstock. // 10

Sound: I usually play manic street preachers stuff but I also don't mind playing jazz, metal, blues etc so this guitar has a wide range of sounds because of the Fender wide range pickups. With the tone selection the bridge can do a great funk sound when it's on clean and a really good punk sound when it's on the distortion, the neck is great for playing solos on any channel but when you are on clean and you use both pickups you get a nice acoustic sound. I have no problem with sound it's totally perfect but I do play through a aston 100 watt viper tube amp but the sound may change due to diffrent types of amp but I'm 99.5% it will sound great on anything! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There is absoulutly nothing wrong with this guitar when I first bought it the pickups were fine the bringe is how I want it so it was perfect even though I was trying out gibsons I found this guitar was better than an SG Standard or a Les Paul Studio so you will be saving a ton of money. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think if I stuck new strings on this guitar before a gig I would play without a backup but I think I would only play this guitar live if was using a Joe Satriani guitar strap which luckily I have two. But it does have a very wide range of sounds so it would be a very good guitar to play without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I absoultly love the guitar to bits if your looking for a Fender Tele around the the 500 mark get one they are amazing personally I think they have a better sound than a 1000 Gibson but also a better look a better everthing! But if somthing happend to it and I didn't have insurance I would deffinatly go for another one of these guitars. // 10

'72 Telecaster Deluxe Reviewed by: habbalock, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Made in 2008 I believe in Mexico, Fender's Telecaster '72 deluxe gives a big, thick sound. It has 21 medium jumbo frets, a lovely (my favorite) C-shaped maple neck with a gloss urethane, and a scale length of 25.5". The guitar has an alder body and it's solid with a polyester finish. The style of the body is obviously a Telecaster shape. It has a convenient string through HardTail bridge. The pickups are both passive. On top of the body you have the choices of a volume and tone knob for the bridge pickups and a volume and tone knob for the neck pickup, which can both be adjusted from 0 to 10. The pickups are Fender Wide Range hum bucking pickups for both the bridge and neck, giving a huge versatile sound that create thick cleans and warm dirty sounds. The tuners are not locking tuners and are just the stock Fender tuners. It also comes with a Fender deluxe gig bag to top it all off for free. // 10

Sound: This guitar is perfect for alternative, punk, and rock. I'm guessing it would be good for metal too considering it has thick humbuckers, however I do not play any metal. I am running this bad boy into my 2x12 Fender Ultimate Chorus combo amp and my Boss TU-3 and DS-1. It is not noisy at all! I used my Epiphone Les Paul Custom before I had this (and occasionally still do) and that was very noisy through the same set up. It's amazing how great this guitar is. It sounds very thick and bright. Very nice tonality! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Here is where the con come in on this guitar. When I got it, the action was all messed up. Each string was a different height. Everything else seemed fine. The truss rod needed no adjustments, and the nut was good, tuners were tight etc. It is routed fine, the wood is great quality, etc. Just after adjusting the action to my likings, it was good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, I have used this at 6 gigs so far within a year since I purchased it and it is just amazing. You just gotta clean it after gigs cause for me at least it gets drenched in sweat! The strap buttons are solid, however I installed Dunlop strap locks just to make sure cause when playing live, I jump and throw it all around and it can NOT fall on me. It is very dependable and I do not use it without a backup just because you never know what will happen laying live, a string breaks, etc.. The finish so far after about 9 months seems to still be good as new and seems as if it will continue that way. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is a perfect match for mainly my alternative music I play. I have been playing for 8 1/2 years, own one other guitar (the Epiphone Les Paul Custom) and use the 2x12 combo amp for practice and gigs. I knew everything on this guitar before buying and knew it is a trustworthy guitar (tons of players use it in my genre). If it were stolen or lost, and if I can rack up the money to buy it again, I definitely would! The tele is now my main source to get my tone and I absolutely love it! It plays so great. Maybe it's the maple I love, I don't know. All in all, it is just an absolutely solid and great guitar! // 10

'72 Telecaster Deluxe Reviewed by: billabob, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 550

Purchased from: Peter cooks guitar world

Features: This is a great guitar with pretty much all your Standard features you could expect to have on a guitar and more. First thing to note is the Gibson style 3 way toggle selector which is always a nice and easy way to get good tones, it allows you to "mix and match" between the two humbuckers that come Standard with the guitar. Each humbucker has its own volume and tone knob which allows your to roll of the volume to clean up the sound abit. And to adjust the tone from a more mellow sound to a much brighter sound. Easy to use and works great. I wont go into detail about the woods and bridge type because, well you can just get it off any website really. // 8

Sound: This guitar really can do almost any style of music. It can do a huge variety of styles from a nice mellow clean to all the way through to heavy crunch. I wouldn't recommend this guitar for metal heads as its not the best guitar for those really high gain sounds. I would also say that because this guitar has humbuckers it haven't got that twang that most telecasters with single coils do. However it does knock out pretty much every tone under the sun kinda speak. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got this guitar the setup was pretty bad to be honest. The action was all over the innotation was all wrong and my pickups needed some adjustment along with the truss rod. However these are really easy things to amend and really you have too keep adjusting them every few months of owning the guitar. The finish is great, I got a gloss black body which looks great and the neck seems to be smoother than most other guitars I've played, my fingers just seem to glide over it. Really easy to play guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since I've had my guitar I've had a few things go wrong. Firstly I had abit of a grounding issue, however it was nothing abit of solder couldn't fix or 30 at a guitar shop if your not to confident at doing this at home. Just a wire had come loose, nothing sinister. Second thing I've got not and still haven't resolved is my toggle switch. For some reason I can get bridge and neck pickups, but if I try and mix them it just gives me neck pickup alone. I've given this guitar alot of use and abuse and I must say in all honesty. It should be pieces, I've dropped it smashed it stood on it, but yet all the only damage is a small scratch on the back of the guitar from a belt. Very well built. // 9

Overall Impression: Great guitar for rock and blues. And for the price, easily the best guitar I've played in its price range. I can't say how great this guitar is. So go out and play one. // 10

'72 Telecaster Deluxe Reviewed by: Jimmyboba, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Cranes Swansea.

Features: Made in Mexico in 2007 (judging by the serial number) this guitar was relased as a FSR model in Alpine White finish. The guitar features a 21 fret maple neck with a Strat style headstock as well as Fender tuning pegs. The body is a tele style body with a single contour. The guitar features two (passive) Fender wide range humbuckers with a LP style 3 way pickup Switch and two volume and two tone controls and a Vintage string through Strat bridge. The guitar also came with a gig bag as well as allen key's for adjusting the Bridge and a Line 6 Spider III 15 was included with the guitar. // 8

Sound: I play a few different styles ranging through pop punk and metal and this guitar is capable of handling both quite well. Running the guitar through a Marshall 100MG (doesn't really do it justice) the guitar's clean tone isn't amazingly bright but has quite a full sound even with the treble high and the bass lower. Be careful when pushing the bass though as it begins to sound duller and looses its richer tone. Switching to distortion, the guitar covers most levels of gain quite well from blues to heavier stuff. As with the clean tones, keep clear of too much bass as it does ruin the sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: While the guitar's action was set up beautifully when I recieved the guitar, the pickups were adjusted incorrectly, which was something I asked to be sorted before leaving the store, there were no major flaws with its set up. The finish was entirely unflawed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The durability and reliability of the guitar is where it's let down a bit. Despite the good set up, I started to experience problems with the intonation quite regularly as well as minor difficulties with the Bridge saddles. I've had the guitar for two years now and the pickups have been working fine but their is a slight earthing problem with the jack socket. The guitars neck is incredibly reliable despite the other problems. The finish is incredibly thick but does chip easily. Despite these issues, the guitar is reliable enough to be played without a backup. // 5

Overall Impression: Despite the slight problems with its reliability, this Tele is a good all round guitar which provides its owner with scope for lots of different styles. Before buying the product however I would make sure you ask for the wiring and the intonation to be checked before purchasing it. The guitar however blew a Standard tele away and is something I would definatly purchase again despite its flaws. // 8

'72 Telecaster Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I recently bought this guitar from my friend. Mine is fsr '72 Telecaster Deluxe with natural color. Made in Mexico, built in 2009 it has 1 piece alder body, maple neck with big 70s Stratocaster headstock with polyester. The rest is the same as a standard 72 Telecaster deluxe. // 10

Sound: The sound is unique, because it combines alder body with humbucker pickups. The sound is very different from the guitar that has a humbucker pickup, it's not as thick as a Gibson, not as thin as standard telecaster. I used to play with Standard Telecaster and Hagstrom Super Swede. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar it has 0.9-0.42 strings, I changes to a thicker strings (0.10-0.46). Pickup can't be adjusted, because this is almost like a p-90 pickup. For neck adjustment it is very very simple because it has Bullet truss rod. I don't have a negative point for this guitar because when I got this the condition is perfect, thx God. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I only use it for practice in the studio alone, I have never used it for gigs events (next month maybe). I change the strap button with Dunlop strap lock, it's not because the original strap button is bad or something, it's because all my guitars use strap lock (safety first). // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is my main guitar, I don't need backup guitar. I love this guitar so much, it's combined Tele - Strat - Les Paul style. If it stolen definitely I'll kick the ass who stolen this guitar. I don't like to compare all of my guitar, this is has different style, love it! // 10

'72 Telecaster Deluxe Reviewed by: gumbilicious, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This is the Tele Deluxe RI with the trem bridge (aka "Fender Classic Player Telecaster Deluxe Electric Guitar With Tremolo", which is just a horrendously long name). - Model Name: Classic Player Telecaster Deluxe with tremolo - Body: Alder - Neck: 1-piece maple, "C" shape, (gloss urethane finish) - Fingerboard: Maple, 12" Radius (305 mm) - No. of frets: 21 medium-jumbo - Pickups: 2 Fender "Wide Range" humbuckers, (neck/bridge) - Controls: Volume 1. (neck pickup), Tone 1. (neck pickup), Volume 2. (bridge pickup), Tone 2. (bridge pickup) - Pickup switching: 3-position toggle - Position 1. Bridge pickup - Position 2. Bridge and neck pickups - Position 3. Neck pickup - Bridge: Vintage-style synchronized tremolo - Machine Heads: Fender/Schaller Vintage "F"-style tuning machines Hardware: Chrome - Pickguard: 3-ply black - Scale length: 25.5" (648 mm) - Width at nut: 1.650" (42 mm) - Unique features: '70s Large Stratocaster headstock, 3-bolt neck plate with micro-tilt adjustment, "bullet" truss rod nut, chrome pickup covers, black dot position inlays, synthetic bone nut - Strings: Fender Standard Tension ST250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042) - Case: Deluxe gig bag Pretty loaded with options, maybe if they made it so the pups could be coil tapped it would be better. Would prefer an ash body, don't like the positioning of the selector switch (but I really who I can do "killswitch" tricks with the 4-knob setup). // 9

Sound: First off, I have actually owned two '72 Tele Deluxes (one with trem and one without). Both guitars sound pretty thick but can get a singing kinda sustain with stock specs, but they also sound fairly muddy and I'll defined as well. Switching the volume pots from the 250K to 500K really helps clear the guitar up a bit and I recommend owners trying out this mod (most people prefer it). I tend to use the selector in the middle and modestly fool with the volume knobs if I feel like dialing in a tone. I find the tone is very versatile in this position and doesn't require me to do more than mess with my playing dynamics to get a range of tones. The bridge pup can be a bit harsh to be used just by itself, but is great for cutting through in a mix for leads. I would consider this guitar sounding better in blues rock, jazz, country and punk/indie style formats. This guitar doesn't saturate all that well for really modern heavier tones (sorry, not best for Avenged Sevenfold, good for the Minutemen). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was setup horribly from the factory, from intonation to action, to the pickup spacing from the strings. Expect to have to set this guitar up yourself if purchasing new, plays much better that way (don't forget about my preference for replacing the stock volume pots). I do like the neck of the guitar, lots of space with a smooth feel. The frets are a bit bigger than normal, so be aware of that if you prefer smaller frets. The finish and wood grain actually looks really good on the guitar (I got the sunburst finish, which is supposed to help hide defects anyway). I put it "middle of the road" because the factory setup is so bad, but the pull off the implementation pretty well. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This is another problem for me. If I would have kept either of these guitars then I would have upgraded the bridge and tuners (as well as the pots). Probably would have replaced certain electronics as well (like the pup switcher on the first Tele Deluxe: I had issues keeping it's position fixed when playing). I believe this guitar could keep up with live playing, but it'd perform better, sound better, and perform more consistently with some good changes. // 4

Overall Impression: I like the guitar, but I wish that it was better. When I consider how much I paid for the guitar and how much I'd spend on the upgrades to make it a good guitar then it just makes me wanna trade the guitar in and get something better. I am personally building a custom version of this guitar to my spec with a '79 Strat neck, '75 Tele Deluxe pups and an ash body with a trem setup and a callaham bridge with some nice tuners and an alternate knob/switch setup. // 6

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ '64 Bandmaster Head 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/22/2014