'72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue Review

8.6
reviews (3) pictures (1) 39 comments vote for this gear:
'72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue Reviewed by: ZeGuitarist, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 925

Purchased from: MusicStore (Köln)

Features: The Telecaster Thinline '72 is a Fender Classic Series model made in Mexico, and introduced in 1999. It's a reissue of the original 1972 Thinline model, with some changes made to it. Still, most features make this guitar look and feel very Vintage... Neck:The guitar features a 1-piece maple neck with the Standard Fender scale length of 25.5", which is 0.75" longer than the Standard Gibson scale length. The C-shaped neck has a radius of 7.25", which is faithful to the original neck shape. The maple fretboard features 21 Vintage style frets. On the classic Telecaster-style headstock, you'll find Vintage Schaller "F" style tuners and an adjustable "Bullet" bolt for the truss rod. Body: The semi-hollow Ash body comes in Natural, Sunburst or Black finish (polyester). The most outstanding feature, however, is of course the "F"-hole, which gives the guitar its unique look. The neck is attached to the body using a 3-bolt neck plate with unique "MicroTilt" adjustment. Other than that, the body features a White Pearloid pickguard. Hardware and electronics: The Vintage HardTail string-through bridge uses Strat-style components (bridge, saddles) instead of the Vintage Tele-style bridge. Both the neck and bridge pickups are passive Fender "Wide Range" humbuckers, and are operated with a 3-way selector and a single master volume and tone control. Accessories: The guitar came with a Fender Deluxe Gig Bag (not a hard case, unfortunately). // 9

Sound: I'm all in for tone versatility, from clean to heavily distorted. I've played the Thinline through a Roland Cube 60 (SS modelling amp) for a long time, and I recently bought a Boss GT-8 (multi-effects processor) for more tone variety. However, I tested the guitar through many other amps in the store before buying it, both SS and tube amps. My first impression about the sound of this guitar, was that it's not at all like the "Standard" Tele sound. The wide-range humbuckers and semi-hollow body make the sound richer, fatter and fuller than the single coil "twang" that Teles are known for. The semi-hollow body, along with the string-through construction, also provides great tone and longer sustain. What striked me most and what made this guitar so attractive to me, though, was how the Vintage output humbuckers were capable of a very wide range of tones! I tested out quite a few guitars in the store, through quite a few amps, and in my opinion this guitar was the most versatile. On a clean channel, the neck pickup can provide smooth and warm rhythm, while the bridge pickup gives the sound that "twangy" Tele character! On a gain setting, you can get fat, crunchy rhythm tones through the neck pickup, and cutting lead tones through the bridge pickup... Unlike the "Standard" Telecasters, the Thinline is able to suit a lot of different styles, including blues, jazz, funk, pop, classic rock, and even metal (with the right amp and/or effects! ). Overall, the most outstanding quality of the sound of this guitar is it's versatility. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I pulled the guitar out of the bag, it was perfectly set up, and I didn't have to set it up again since (I've had it for 3 years now). The action was good, but as I prefer rather low action, I lowered it slightly using the height-adjustable saddles. I never needed to adjust action or intonation since! I never had any major hardware or electronic problems, nor were there noticeable building flaws. Some minor issues I could mention: the "Bullet" bolt for the adjustable truss rod came loose once and buzzed when I played due to string vibrations, but when I found out I just fastened it again and it hasn't come loose since. Also, the occasional rusty screw that every guitar suffers from after a while, almost isn't worth mentioning. Overall, the guitar was in perfect condition when I received it, and after a couple of years I still don't have any problems with it at all! There's a lot of craftmanship put into this guitar, especially considering it was made in Mexico... // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like I said above, I haven't had any hardware problems with this guitar so far. The tuning machines look sturdy, the bridge components look solid and keep the guitar in tune at all times, and the strap buttons are very firm and solid. Apart from a very slight crackle in the volume control, which will probably be fixed when cleaned out, there are no failing electronic components either. The only thing you need to watch out for is the finish, if you go for the Natural (transparent) finish like me. So overall, all hardware and electronics have been in excellent state over the last couple of years. I haven't played Live with it, but I imagine this guitar would be able to withstand it with easy, and I wouldn't hesitate to gig with it without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I have not even a second regretted buying this guitar. First of all, I am still in awe of it's beauty, with the natural finish and the F-hole in the body. Second of all, the excellent craftmanship leaves this guitar practically flawless. And thirdly and most importantly, the versatility in tone that you can get from this guitar outclasses all other Telecasters and a great deal of other guitars. This is the guitar's most attractive feature to me... Overall, I couldn't imagine a better guitar for my style (or "range" of styles! ). I have been playing for 4 years now, and had the opportunity to play a lot of different guitars in that time, but I'm still positive that the guitar I own is the most versatile guitar I've ever played. This is a great guitar combining the amazing looks of a Telecaster with the amazing sound of a Les Paul. I'm in love with mine, and I couldn't imagine replacing it, ever... // 10

'72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I bought this brand new 2009 '72 Tele Thinline Semihollow on black friday, for %25 off. It has 21 frets, a 25.5" scale, Maple Neck, Ash body, with a natural laminated finish. It has a Standard tele bridge, string through. The electronics are passive, naturally, with a three way switch, a volume, and a tone knob. It said the gigbag came free, but I checked the receipt, and it was another like $40, so, I took it back. // 9

Sound: I have a Schecter Damien FR, upgraded with active EMG pickups for metal, and I play a very wide variety of music and the emg's are pretty much only metal, so I was looking for something to cover the other half of the tonal spectrum. I looked into all fenders, and who uses them. Artists that use the 72 Tele, were Say Anything, Paramore, Coldplay, The Fray, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. I know people might say the expression "understatement of the century" alot, but me saying this thing is has widespread tone, and is very versatile, would be the understatement of mankind. This guitars tone is the SHARPEST tone I've ever played on, CLEARER THAN EMG's, I never thought I'd catch myself saying that, but yes, more clarity than EMG's. The sound is thin, but with a little tweaking, (adding mid/bass/ reverb), it sounds great. The odd thing is, that it has a really fat neck, but I can play faster leads than on my Schecter, or my old Jackson. The tones it can reach; I had to catch my breath(this thing still takes my breath away), I have a Line 6 Spider III amp with all those artist presets, and it can get Cliffs Of Dover by Eric Johnson VERY CLOSE, Sweet Child of Mine(if you don't know who wrote that, you pretty much should reevaluate your music hitory knowledge), and With the '65 twin reverb ripoff on the Line6, you can get ColdPlay, Say Anything, Muse, Almost anyone who uses a tele, you can easily match their tone on that channel. I could honestly go on forever about this guitar's tone, and I'd give it a 12/10 if I could, however, I'll keep it short and give it a skimpy ten. Even tapping and arpeggio's on this thing shine. Sustain isn't that great though, but that's not what I bought the semihollow version for. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is pretty much not adjustable, there's a normal nut, and the only adjustment you can do on the bridge is intonate it. When I got it from guitar center, who got it straight out of the box from the factory, the pickups were VERY high, so I had to lower them, but that's a thirty second fix. All the electronics were perfect, absolutely no flaws cosmetically. The only thing I would change is straplocks, and new tuners. The tuners are absolutely HORRRRRRRIBLE! Replace them if you get it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: With new tuners and straplocks, I'd do a dozen live shows with this in a row. Everything is solid, I've had it for five months now. The finish has a weird felling to it, that makes it seem like it'll last a long, long time. The strap buttons are getting replaced soon. And I would, and plan on gigging this thing until I have to put it out of its own misery. // 9

Overall Impression: This is probably one of the best under $1000 guitars I've played, that includes many of the(not all of the) the Schecter's and ESP/LTD's under 1G with EMG's/SD's Floyd Rose's, Grover Tuners, none of that can match this for what I wanted. This guitar just sounds great, is beautiful, and plays better than my schecter. If it were lost or broken, whoever broke it would get broken legs from yours truly, and if it were lost, i'd get another one. Or Two ;). I compared this to some ibanez's and epiphones, and this just took the gold for me. And I know it sounds like I'm trashing those companies, but this guitar really outshines those guitars in the $600 range. // 10

'72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue Reviewed by: BurnTheInnocent, on november 09, 2012

Features: -Reissue of the 72' Telecaster Thinline, made in Mexico. -21 Frets, really thin, fast neck (hence the name). -Laminated Top. -Ash body with a solid maple neck. -Natural Finish. -Telecaster Body -String-thru body bridge. -Stock pickups are passive. -One volume knob, one tone knob, 3 way pickup selector, but does have the ability to get those in between sounds. -2 Reissue Fender Wide Range Humbuckers (72' Reissue) -Non-locking tuners. -Most likely comes with a gig bag depended on the distributor you buy from. // 9

Sound: This is going to come as a surprise but I actually play metal. I first found this guitar while just playing around at Guitar Center, I played it in contrast with the other guitar player in my band (owns a Gibson Explorer) and found that it sounded great (even in drop tuning). It has a brighter tone that really compliments the Explorers beefy murderous tone. I'm playing through a Yamaha half stack (solid) right now and it sounds fine. I also use a Metal core pedal in conjunction with a Line Six distortion box. Puts out a really nice chunky sound. Not noisy at all, sounds really nice for blues through any measure of an Acoustic amp, it does get a significant amount of feedback but you'll learn what to do to avoid it, that just comes with the territory of owning a semi-hollow body. Bright tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Personally I love the stock pickups, however, this really varies from person to person, many people really hate the stock pickups on this guitar. When I first opened the case I was ready to adjust the action but I found that the stock action was perfect, really quite well done. Haven't had to adjust the pickups at all. They sound great. Be sure to buy new strings with it as the factory set are weak and will break with excessive playing. No flaws out of the box. Slight discoloration on the lower left portion on the back of the body but this is most likely simply due to the nature of the natural finish. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live gigs without a problem. The only thing I would be sure to get control of (unless you want to use it) is it's feedbackish nature. The hardware is probably the weakest part of this guitar, it will last but I doubt for long, it just seem pretty weak. I'm planning on replacing the stock machine heads with locking tuners. The strap buttons are sufficient for home playing, but if you plan on playing Live be sure to get some strap locks. I could easily use this guitar at a show without a backup, however, I wouldn't simply because It's always nice to have an extra just in case. Laminate finish ensures long lasting Shine. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a variety of styles of music, right now I play in a metal band and this guitar fits perfectly, I've been playing for 4-5 years and find that this guitar is one of my favorites. Before you buy this guitar be sure to go to a local retailer Who has one of these to see if it fits you right, also, don't expect ridiculous sustain with this guitar as it's neck is built for speed. Make sure you buy a hard case if you're going to be taking it everywhere with you, the gig bag that comes with it isn't going to hold up long. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Mustang V (V.2) 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 12/22/2014