'89 Stratocaster Plus Review

9.1
 7.2
reviews (2) pictures (6) 22 comments vote for this gear:
'89 Stratocaster Plus Reviewed by: Ben Wright, on november 09, 2012

Features: This beautiful guitar was made in 1989 in America. It comes with 22 normal sized frets stretched out along a maple fretboard that has finish of the highest quality. It has a solid top which adds to the heaviness of the whole guitar. The body of the guitar is made of solid Ash and the neck is made of solid maple which again adds to the sheer weight of this guitar. It comes in a Fiesta Red finish coated with lacquer that gives it a beautiful shine. It has a Strat body which is very comfortable to hold and play. The bridge is a Standard Strat bridge. It also has a roller nut at the neck which helps it to stay in tune a great deal and hardly ever needs major tuning. Volume controls include 3 pots which are: volume, tone and tone along with a 5-way selector switch. The pickups are brilliant Fender Lace Sensor pick-ups which contribute greatly to the beautiful sound of the guitar as a whole. The tuners are Fender locking machine heads. When I bought it, it included: an original Fender hardcase. The original Fender Strap. A set of Ernie Ball slinky strings. The original Fender tremelo arm. A Squire practice amplifier. // 10

Sound: It's commonly known as a blues guitar that generates that 'plink' sound. My own music style is rock and metal and it doesn't really achieve that genre of sound. I am currently using a Marshall MG100DFX amplifier along with a bit of chorus that is built into the amplifier, it sounds brilliant. It's never an extremely noisy instrument but I tend to find out that if you leave it switched on with the volume up, it gives a bit of feedback off the bottom E string and A string. The guitar makes the perfect blues, jazz and punk sound but cannot achieve the perfect metal sound. It plays more genres of music well then genres that it doesn't. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Seeing as I bought it off eBay, I wouldn't be able to compliment and criticize it due to the action when received from the factory but what I do know is that the person I bought it off only had to tune it a few times seeing as the roller nut helped it to maintain it's tune. The pickups were very well done apart from the fact that the middle pickup was slightly loose. It had a good bookmatched top and a very well routed bridge. The only fault I found with it was that when I received it the middle Lace-sensor pickup was slightly loose but again, this didn't affect the overall sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing as I have gigged it myself and found no problems at all. The hardware seems of very good quality and in all its years, it hasn't rusted yet. The strap buttons are solid and very reliable. I will always be able to depend on it. I usually take a back-up to a gig anyway but I've never had to use it, therefore I would gig this guitar without a backup. It would take a lot of playing indeed to wear off the quality finish of this guitar, definitely made to last. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a metal player and to be perfectly honest a Fender Stratocaster Plus doesn't achieve that 'crunch' sound and therefore isn't a very good much. On the contrary, if you are a Blues, Jazz, Folk or Punk player then this is the ideal set-up for you. I have currently been playing 1 and a half years and this is a joy to be able to play after so short a period of time. I personally own: 1989 American Fender Stratocaster Plus (this guitar). Tanglewood Strat copy. Marshall MG100DFX Amp. Fender Sidekick Reverb 25 Amplifier. Behrhinger Blues Overdrive Pedal. I should have researched about them a bit more to find out the sounds they were capable of producing. If it were stolen, I would definitely think about investing in one again but I would also like to maybe buy a Gibson Les Paul or Explorer so I could finally attain a good metal sound from my equipment. The thing I love about it is the fact that I can achieve a beautiful clean sound that only a Fender could achieve. However, I do hate how, probably due to the pick-ups, I cannot achieve that heavily distorted sound I would like to achieve. My favorite feature on the Fender has to be the roller nut due to the fact that you don't need to tune it every time you want to play it. I wasn't able to compare this guitar to any others because it's in a world of it's own, truly unique although ESP and various other manufacturers have tried to create replicas but failed to create the perfect Strat sound in my opinion. I do tend to wish it had humbucker pickups so I could get a greater distortion sound although that's probably mean my clean sound will decline in quality and also, if I decided to do it myself, would decrease it's value. // 8

'89 Stratocaster Plus Reviewed by: xXmegaRoryXx, on november 09, 2012

Features: The 1989 Stratocaster Plus (American made) is a uniuqe Stratocaster becasue o its features that is has. This particular one has a tuning head locking system which grips the strings tight for trmolo use. Also it was a roller nut so there is less friction and is better for tremolo use. Also to add to the help of tremolo use it has a hipshot tremsetter in the back of the guitar that brings the tremolo system back to where is was no matter how violent the usage of the tremolo system is. It has 3 Fender Golf Lace Sensor pick ups (neck, middle, bridge) that give of less feedback than usuall single coil pick ups which is ideal for blues. The body is made from alder (although I'm not quite sure.) and the neck s maple with a rosewood fret board that has the Standard 22 frets. There are three control dials which are volume, tone and TBX and a control Switch that has 5 different positions for different pickup usage. When I got given this it came with a Fender M-80 Chorus but I'm not sure if you would get one if you had bought it new. Although it loks like a Standard Fender it a a really good piece of kit. // 10

Sound: I have a wide range of styles for playing guitar but mostley I tend to play quite funky rythm guitar for blues lead guitar but I have my moments when I play heavy metal or hardcore but also I have my moments when I play jazz and this guitar seems to fulfill all of them very well. For blues lead it works well because the Fender Lace Sensor Pickups have much less hum it has a cleaner sounder under distortion but still brings the gritty metal distortion sound. I use a Fender M-80 Chorus twin amp that has a chorus and a overdrive Switch and the guitar sounds amazing comeing from that amp but from a cheaper amp like my marshal MG15 it has less magic to it. The guitar it self has quite a twangy sound under clean and if you mess around with tones you can get a very bluesy sound out of it or even a Acoustic sound out of it but once you add effects it sounds much more different and it will sound how you will want it to sound. With distortion and other efects all together with heavy use of the tremolo bar you can hit some pretty narly sounds and effects and with the distortion on the harmonics are easily hit for effect. Over all it is a very nice sounding guitar and will fulfil your needs but only to a certain extent. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Then action on this guitar is a very nice one. I have ernieball super slinkys which are guage 9-45 and with those srtings, bending and soloing becomes very nice and effortless. The pickup adjustments are slightly to close to the strings so if there is alot of heavy strumming you may hit the pickups from time to time but over all th adjustment was good. The guitars Bridge was way to high when I got it. And the intonation was out a tiny bit but those flaws are easily adjustable but this this was probabl due to the guitar strings that were on the guitar. Over all this had good action and good adjustments but it needed just abit of work. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I play my guitar a HELL of a lot and have maybebashed it a around a couple of times by accident and it has held on very well. This guitar is a pretty heavy guitar so you can't really throw it around ot unless you have a very secure guitar strap. This is a dependable guitar there are no technical faults in it and it has near enough no feedback from other electrical equipment becasue of the Lace sensor pick ups. And the finish on it is very durable and had yet to see signs of it wearing away. // 10

Overall Impression: I am in love with this guitar is sounds good it is very stylish and it is impressive because its not like any other Fender guitars. It has unique features on it and is the first Fender guitars to have locking tuning heads with a roller nut to have much much easier tuning. This is an amazing guitar and I would recomend it to anyone. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014