American Deluxe Stratocaster FMT HSS Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: American Deluxe Stratocaster FMT HSS
The new American Deluxe Stratocaster FMT HSS is a stunning piece of classic Fender craftsmanship!
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 8.7
 9.2
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
American Deluxe Stratocaster FMT HSS Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Sound: Awesome sound, anything from blues to hard rock. It wouldn't go to metal, though. I play Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, AC/DC, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, and some other stuff. It suits most of them. Could have a little fatter tone when play AC/DC solos, and could be a little more edgy for RHCP. For that edgy RCHP sound I totally recommend an ash Strat. Fender Japan makes an awesome guitar perfect for RHCP. But this guitar is perfect for the sounds in between, especially thanks to the humbucker. I use a Big Muff, Boss Chorus, Boss Digital Delay, Electro-Harmonix Mini Q-Tron, CryBaby, Line 6 Modulator, and Boss Overdrive. Works great with all of them. It didn't sound so good with the Boss Distortions so I sold them. I use an Ibanez 50-watt and it sounds so sweet with the gain up. Must use noise suppressor if you use the dangerous amount of gain I do. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came to me with everything set up. Not a single thing need adjusting. However, the contact came a little loose. But I just opened the input jack up and saudered it. No prob. The beauty lies in the neck. Its so easy to play on it. I have an Ibanez semi-acoustic and with the same strings, the Ibanez feels way way heavier. Also this baby never goes off tune. I can choke and use the trem and itll never slide. Finish is beautiful. Beautiful neck! // 8

Overall Impression: Perfect match for hard rock, or anything soft. its a good guitar for a wide variety and with the right effects it can sound like anything. The s/c pickups give a nice round tone for slower stuff and the humbucker explodes with edge. I wish, however, that I tried out the ash Strat version of this guitar first. That gives a more overall edgy yet fat tone. The neck can't be beat. Sounds fatter at times than the SG and the neck is way more reliable. Not to mention the looks kick ass. If this guitar was stolen, id buy the ash version of this. Good 1st or 2nd guitar when you still want to explore all kinds of sounds. A little pricy but in the end, the small things make the big differences. // 10

Features: It was made in 2004 it's a 0th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat. It's a 22 fret long maple C shaped neck. The cool thing about the deluxe strats are that they have an S-1 Button. You push it and it switches the pickups around. It came with great noiseless pickups, locking Fender tuners. It came with a whammy bar, '50th Anniversary Tweed case, a strap, a cord and polisher. // 10

Sound: This Strat is very good for anything. But very good for Rythym and Blues. This suits me very well. I use a Line 6 Spider II and it sounds great! Excellent rich full bold sound. You can do anything with this guitar! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: They set it up very good. Pickups knobs and everything is fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is good for playing live. Everything seems it will last long. I can depend on it at a gig without a backup. The finish is great. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Rock and blues it's great for me. I've been playing for six years. I have owned a Epiphone SG. But this is 20 times better! If it was stolen I would for surely buy it again. I like everything about it, don't hate anything about it. But the coolest thing is the S-1 button. // 10

American Deluxe Stratocaster FMT HSS Reviewed by: handlerb, on november 09, 2012

Sound: This a very versatile instrument, but at its heart is blues. I play lots of classic rock, blues, and jazz, for which it is great. Although its immense variability allows for just about any playing style. A very bright tone is easy to get with any amp, and the creamy bridge pickup delivers as it should. The one problem I have with the instrument is the lack of rich bass sound. But this is a Strat, and that can be expected. It simply isn't that type of instrument. The new pickups, called SCN (samarian cobalt nickel), are fantastic. They deliver great sound, and have virtually no standing noise, even with all settings very high on both guitar and amp. I am very impressed with the S1 Switch, which allows you to combine a mixture of different pickups, creating a variety of tones. Overall the sound quality is great; very clear and powerful, exactly what one would hope for when purchasing a strat-type guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up was acceptable. It wasn't set the way I'd like, so it took a bit of time to remedy this. Overall though it was fine. Pickups needed a bit of adjustment, but again these are things one can fix themselves. There were no real problems (rusting, scratches, unwanted noise, loose hardware, etc) that I wasn't able to quickly fix. // 8

Overall Impression: For the price range (sub-$1000) I can't imagine finding a better guitar. I'm very happy with this purchase, a wouldn't hesitate to buy a similair one if it were lost. // 10

Features: - Body: select alder with flame maple top - Neck: maple, modern "C" shape (satin polyurethane finish) - Machine heads: Fender/Schaller Deluxe Staggered cast/sealed locking tuning machines - Fingerboard: ebony, 9.5" radius (241 mm) - Frets: 22 medium jumbo - Pickups: 1 Fender DH-1 humbucker (bridge), 2 Hot Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Strat pickups (middle/neck) - Controls: master volume (with S-1 Switch), master no-load tone control - Bridge: Fender Deluxe 2-point synchronized tremolo with pop in arm - Pickup switching: 5-position blade and 2-position push/push S-1: S-1 Switch up: Position 1. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series (Lead Tone Control); Position 2. Middle Pickup and Inside Coil of Bridge Humbucking Pickup in Parallel (Lead Tone Control); Position 3. Middle Pickup (Lead Tone Control); Position 4. Neck and Middle Pickup in Parallel (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls); Position 5. Neck Pickup (Rhythm Tone Control S-1 Switch Down: Position 1. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series (Lead Tone Control); Position 2. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series, in Parallel with Neck Pickup (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls); Position 3. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series, in Parallel with Neck and Middle Pickups that are Paired in Series (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls); Position 4. Inside Coil of Bridge Pickup Paired in Series with Neck Pickup, in Parallel with Middle Pickup (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls); Position 5. Middle Pickup in Series with Neck Pickup (Rhythm Tone Control) - Hardware: chrome - Strings: Fender Super Bullet 3250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-3250-003 - Case: Deluxe Brown Hardshell case - Pickguard: none - Scale length: 25.5" (648 mm) - Unique features: S-1 switching, ebony fingerboard, LSR roller nut, abalone dot position inlays, highly detailed fret work, black anodized mini-barrel knobs, black plastic parts - Width at nut: 1.6875" (43 mm) - Accessories: hard case. // 8

Sound: The sound of this guitar is not up to usually Fender standards. The bridge pickup is too quiet and does not work well with my Boss DS-1 pedal. The bridge humbucker takes away the gain on the pedal. My other guitars which I have do not do this. At gigs, I use a Marshall JCM half stack and compared to the other guitarist, I am getting a poor sound. The only difference in our set up is our guitars. The clean sound on the guitar is terrible. It is far to "bassy" for what I would like. It is has a very dull sound to it due to the amount of bass. I have tried getting rid of the bass using effects but I am unable to. So a poor sounding guitar compared to others made by Fender! // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is a nightmare to play with. The action is too slow to play any decent lead breaks. So the lead which I play in my band is not as effective as it should be. The pickups were to high so I was getting a restricted sound, especially on the humbucker. The fret alignment was poor. I had to send the guitar away to get the frets re-aligned professionally. The neck is constantly warping and I have problems with the electronics becoming loose and eventually disconnecting. I am unable to change pickups in the middle of a song because the when I move the selector Switch, I get a cracking noise. // 4

Reliability & Durability: As I said before, the connections keep coming loose so te reliability is poor. The hardware seems like it will last but because there have been so many flaws already, I would not put my life on it. I would definately take a backup to a gig as I am not confident and do not trust the guitar enough. The finish is good but scratches and dents show up well which is obviously not a good thing. // 6

Overall Impression: The only reason why I choose this guitar was that Fender are usually reliable and they have a good reputation. I have had Fenders in the past but non have been as poor as this one. As a guitarist who has been playing most of his life, I am amazed at the price I paid and the quality I got. I just goes to show that you don't get what you pay for. // 6

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 08/01/2014