American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS
All the refined features found on the American Deluxe Stratocaster guitar, but brimming with beefy tone thanks to a Fender DH-1 humbucking pickup, S-1 switching system and LSR Roller Nut with locking machine heads.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.9
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.9
 Features: 9.7
 8.7
 9.5
 7.9
reviews (8) 27 comments vote for this gear:
American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: CkY freak, on november 09, 2012

Features: I bought this guitar a few days ago, and I love it. The orignal price of the guitar was $1000, but I was cut a deal, and I couldn't pass it up. I have an awesome crimson red transparent with a black pickgaurd, black covers/knobs, and a sweet matching black headstock. This guitar has 22 frets medium jumbo frets, with abalone dot position inlays. The pickups on this guitar are amazing, there is a Fender DH-1 humbucker in the bridge, 1 Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Strat Pickup (middle), and 1 Hot Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Strat Pickup (neck). This guitar has the 5-way selector Switch, with the S-1 switching. Its got a modern C shape maple neck too. And it even has Fender/Schaller Deluxe Staggered Cast/Sealed locking tuning machines. This guitar is amazing. // 10

Sound: The DH-1 isn't as hot has the Dimarzio X2N in my Ibanez RG470, but thats to be expected. But overall, I think this guitar sounds better than my Ibanez which has top of the line DiMarzio and Fender pickups. The pickups aren't noisy at all, because they are noiseless pickups, and I'm running it through a DigiTech GNX4 through a 100 watt Peavey Bandit 112 amp. I play hardrock/progressive rock, and this guitra could definitely suit those styles with ease. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had to lower the action a bit when I got home, other than that, nothing was wrong with it at all, and the pickups are perfectly positioned. The finish looks like it will last a life time, I am very happy with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand anything, its a Fender, so you know its reliable. The hardware is top of the line, its got an LSR rolling nut, and a super nice bridge, this guitar has it all. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said above, I play hardrock/progressive, and I think it could handle it well. I've been playing about 3 years, and I'm so happy I got this guitar. This guitar has everything, noiseless pickups, S-1 switching, an LSR rolling nut, it's just perfect. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this guitar. The only thing I wish is that I would have gotten this guitar earlier! // 10

American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: Hendrix On acid, on november 09, 2012

Features: The American Deluxe Strat HSS delivers all the refined features found on the American Deluxe Strat, but brimming with beefy tone thanks to a Fender DH-1 humbucking pickup, the S-1 switching system, and an LSR Roller Nut with locking machine heads. The two Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups (neck and middle) are wound extra hot for proper balanced with the humbucking pickup. The amazing S-1 switching system lets you Switch instantly from humbucking to single coil tones - just tap the Switch hidden in the crown of the master volume knob. // 10

Sound: My music style is Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, but I do a lot of other stuff with it. I play anything from the Eagles, the Beatles, Metallica, Godsmack, 311, Sublime, Guns N' Roses and a lot more. I use a Fender Frontman 25R ($229.99) amp with no other effects. Although I plan to get a Boss pedal soon, I can't say how that will turn out. The guitar is incredible sounding, and the humbucking pickups alow rich, full sound while the Tex-mex delivers a more twangy, high-treble sound. This guitar can do whatever you want it to. It's one of the best Fender offers, and if you're looking to get something that you will never come up short with, this is your guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Not a single scratch or spot on the guitar when it came. The pickups were adjusted perfectly, the bride was routed fine and everything was secure and good sounding. After you tune it you're ready to go. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned earlier, I play a lot of different music, and this guitar can play it all. I own two other guitars, one electric and one acoustic, both of normal quality. If this guitar was taken from me by one twist of fate or another, I'd go right back and buy it again. I love everything about this guitar and hate nothing, as you can see by all the 5's. I say that if you have the movey for this baby, get it. You're gonna love it. // 10

American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: JDawg4098, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Skips Music

Sound: When I first began looking for a guitar, I was looking for versatility and flexibility of sound. I wanted to play rock and blues, but I also didn't want to be restricted from playing metal on the same guitar. This Stratocaster was perfect for my needs. The guitar can hum a B.B. King tune, or it can scream Metallica or Slayer sounds. There's great versatility on the tone selectors, I was surprised how much the tone can change with merely using the knobs. My previous guitars could not change their tone so easily. I use a Fender HotRod Deville 60 watt tube amp with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory did a magnificient job on this guitar. The stings hug the fretboard as close as they can possibly get without ringing, making it extremely easy on your fingers, unlike korean and other outside-US made stratocasters, which are more difficult to play. The pickups have obviously undergone wonderful fine-tuning, they are factory-angled at an upward slant towards the high E string for maximum tone and volume leveling. The finish is incredible, after admiring the instrument fully, I could not find one imperfection in the finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar in a gig without a backup guitar and have played it at least an hour, maximum 5 hours, everyday for the past month and one-half of owning it. The factory stings still sound top notch and clean, and have no visible marks after all this time. While my fellow band member is changing stings every week on his guitars, my Strat has not failed me. The solid feel of this guitar adds a sense of security when playing live, which helps very much if you are inexperienced. The guitar does not go out of tune when using the whammy bar, surprisingly. The strap buttons obviously fit the factory strap perfectly, although the roughness of the strap can annoy your shoulder if playing for prolonged times. This guitar will still be playing in 50 years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play whatever the crowd wants, which normally turns out to be a wide variety from metal to blues. This is why I bought this guitar. But I didn't expect this guitar to be so perfect. When I think of a guitar that can be perfect, a guitar that can do everything, sound perfect, feel great, look great, I can't think of anything else that can be better. I would not buy another one if this guitar was stolen because the MSRP is over $1000, the price is the only pet peeve I can find about this guitar. I know it seems immature to be so positive and "superficial" but, I'm not exaggerating how amazing this guitar is. Nine for me, only not 10 because of the price. // 9

American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: jarrah, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Allens Music Store Pitt St. Sydney

Features: Made in 2003 USA, California. Standard 24 Jumbo Frets, rosewood neck. This was an off the shelf, deluxe american Fender Stratocaster with built in S-button technology. Essentially giving it humbucker capabilities by combining two or all three of the single coil pickups. I use this guitar in conjunction with a 100w Marshall DFX Amp. The sound that I can achieve with this guitar is incredibly flexible. I bought it with the intention of following up my jazz/blues acoustic feel, yet found myself seduced by the overdriven excellence it offers. For a single coil guitar, I can achieve amazing overdriven tones and distorted sustain. Quite simply, this guitar has handled by change from John Mayer and Eric Clapton to Tool and Deftones without missing a stride. I have no critical issues with this guitar. Perhaps the only point of interest is if you are looking for a humbucker guitar soley, then get one, if not, this guitar can handle any style with amazing tones and feeling. The price is high, actually starting around $3900 Aus, but in my opinion it's more than worth it. it's always a good idea to haggle though guys, I got this with my Marshall amp and saved over $1000. It came with a case, strap, lead, picks, humidifier and tuning tools. // 8

Sound: I use this guitar in conjunction with a 100w Marshall DFX amp. The sound that I can achieve with this guitar is incredibly flexible. I bought it with the intention of following up my jazz/blues acoustic feel, yet found myself seduced by the overdriven excellence it offers. For a single coil guitar, I can achieve amazing overdriven tones and distorted sustain. Quite simply, this guitar has handled by change from John Mayer and Eric Clapton to Tool and Deftones without missing a stride. I have no critical issues with this guitar. Perhaps the only point of interest is if you are looking for a humbucker guitar soley, then get one, if not, this guitar can handle any style with amazing tones and feeling. This guitar is well worth trying out for anyone with the money and flexibility in their guitar playing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is amazing, so easy to play. I bought this guitar on a wing that my 2 years playing experience would not affect an exponential growth in my playing ability if I had good equipment. I was right. The guitar is exceptional, works well in all situations and survives the hard slog of gigging. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played live with this guitar and it has never once had an issue or become stained from my sometimes lethal sweating. This clearly is an off the shelf guitar built by the best people in the business at Fender. I'm sure it will not pose any problems in the future. // 9

Overall Impression: As I've said, the flexibility I have achieved from this single coil guitar is amazing. The S-Button technology really gives the humbucker feel that I was looking for eventually. This guitar is quite simply amazing. Well worth a test try by anyone. It can be played Live, works amazingly well with my Marshall amps and I would recommend the combo to anyone. // 10

American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: Rockwontdie, on november 09, 2012

Features: The year it was made was 2008 and it is fantastic. Its a 22 fret rosewood neck with a solid top. The body is alder and the neck wood is rosewood, it looks nice with the blue finish. It's a simple Strat model. It has a string thru body like most strats do. It has a volume and 2 tones. The bridge pickup is an HHS Humbucker which really makes it sound great. It has Sperzel locking tuners and came with a gig bag. // 10

Sound: The sound is absolutely fantastic. I play mainly Hard Rock and progressive and at fits my style perfectly. It is not noisy on any of the pickup setting. The guitar, on the mid and neck pickup sounds like a classic Hendrix tone which I like a lot and would recommend this guitar to anyone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly at the factory but the only flaw was that my volume knob really didn't enhance the volume it kinda just sounded like the volume was turned on to the max. Other than that it was nice. The bridge was properly routed and bookmatched top, no intonation problems at all. The action was swell. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands live playing quite nicely. I'm playing gigs all the time with it. The strap buttons a perfectly solid although I did add locking tuners to enhance that effect. The finish will pretty much last forever unless you don't take care of it. It is a very sturdy instrument and it will be a very nice adition to your instrument rack. :) // 10

Overall Impression: This instrument is a perfect match for the style that I play, as I mentioned before. I have been playing for 7 years and I own a Marshall JCM 900 SL-X Series and it sounds nice playing through it. If this we're stolen or lost, I would be very pissed, but I would by it again. I mainly love the tone of the guitar and the finish. It is a beauty. I didn't compare this to other products because I knew this would blow everything else away, except a Gibson Les Paul, lol. It's a great instrument so go ahead and buy it! // 9

American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: My American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS was made in 2008. It has 22 medium jumbo frets. It has a maple neck, which is so smooth and fast. The finish is absolutely beautiful without a blemish on it. It has 1 volume and 2 tone nobs. 5-way selector with the s1 switching which gives you 9 different tonal options. It has 3 Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups, 1 Humbucker, and 2 Single Coils. It also has locking tuners, and a LRS roller nut. It comes with a fitted Fender case with all the case candy. // 10

Sound: My band's style is ska, punk, and hip hop infused reggae, with elements of grunge, rock, expiremental, blues, and alternative, and it fits that perfectly. Until my Fender deluxe blues reissue comes in I'm just using it on a crappy peavy practice amp, but the guitar still shines through. I also use a Crybaby wah. With the pups you can get pretty much any sound that you want, short of metal. If your looking for a heavy metal guitar get a all humbucker guitar, if not then this guitar will probably suit your musical tastes. It's extremely versatile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came set up perfectly other than the fact that I had to tune it. There was nothing wrong with the guitar in any way. The pups were well adjusted, and quality of wood was good, it's a Fender after all. The only thing I hate is the plastic they put over the pick guard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played this guitar Live yet, I just go it the other day, but I see no reason why it won't stand up to Live playing. Everything on this guitar seems like it will last a lifetime. I plan on putting on strap locks, but I don't think I really need to the strap buttons seem to work great. This will be my main axe, but I won't use it without a backup, just in case, I wouldn't use any guitar Live without a backup. The finish is not only beautiful, but it seems like it will last a lifetime. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about two years now, and I also own a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and between the guitar there is no comparison. I would never let this guitar get stolen but if it was I would buy thig guitar again in a instant. I love everything about this guitar but the thing that stands out to me is the neck. It's so smooth and so fast, very tasty. I will take this guitar to the grave with me, peace. // 10

American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: KainThornn, on november 09, 2012

Features: So I picked up the American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Limited Edition Guitar Center model from (well DUH! ) Guitar Center. For a guitar with an MSRP of over $1700 you'd expect the need for little or no setup, but that's just ducky. I had to set intonation, string height, and the truss rod. The Suire Bullet-esque single action truss rod. Some of the fret ends are sloppily dressed so if I do a fast slide with any pressure on the sides of the neck I'm likely in for a band-aid. Enough of the crap, let's talk about the good stuff. The finish on the body was flawless and glassy smooth. The finish on the neck was velvety satin, excellent for slippery runs. The hardware was well made and polished like an apple on a 2nd grade teachers desk. // 10

Sound: Initially I wasn't pleased with the pickups. I waned the American Strat tones but they were out of american standards! WTF? Guitare Center out of stock on one of their boggest sellers? So I asked the pinhead on commission what else had American Standard pickups, he showed me the American Deluxe. Noiseless samarium cobalts do NOT sound like American Standards. I was however able to dial in a good useable bluesy tone. The humbucker is? But can be made to rock out like a beast with moderate coaxing, even pinched harmonics howl out like stuck pigs. I found the S1 switching system confusing and nothing I did with it made me all wet with excitement, so I never use it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup for high end Fenders is supposed to be done by the same experts who say the USA Jackson custom models are acceptible. If that's the case then Jackson is gonna lose a pile of cash to ESP cos the factory setup sucked! Intonation, truss rod, string height all had to be set by yours truly. I don't mean minor tweaks for personal taste, I mean they had to be set in the first place. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I haven't done much live playing with it, but what I have done went well. No squeals, squeaks, shrieks, screeches, or blurbs. // 10

Overall Impression: If Fender has the balls to charge nearly twice as much for so few extra features, I expect that guitar to practically play itself. // 8

American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Reviewed by: conor1423, on november 09, 2012

Features: I just got my 2004 50th anniversary deluxe Strat HSS today. I have to say it is incredible! For the money, I couldn't hae gotten a better deal. This is my first nice guitar and I will this guitar for many years to come. // 10

Sound: I play classic rock and blues and this guitar is perfect. I play it through a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV and a Vox tonelab SE. Since the pickups are noiseless, there is no extra noise. The variety of sounds is unbelievable. The S1 switching system is fun, but it's only noticeable on the neck pick up, but it just makes the neck pickup sound like the neck pickup. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this used from a person rather than a company, but it was basically new since the plastic was still on the pick guard. But it was all great but the strings had never been changed, but other than that, it's perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was made to withstand anything for a lifetime and more. The finish is beautiful in the three tone sunburst with the maple fret board. // 10

Overall Impression: It's an american deluxe, what more is there that you can ask for? // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Mustang V (V.2) 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 12/22/2014