American Deluxe Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: American Deluxe Telecaster
The new American Deluxe Telecaster guitar is a top-of-the-line American-made instrument for the player seeking an alder body with more modern appointments.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.3
reviews (3) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
American Deluxe Telecaster Reviewed by: PartyShrimp, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: A$ 1800

Purchased from: Musos Corner

Features: I believe this is a 2008 Fender American Deluxe Tele from Corona, Cali. It has a fairly long neck of 22 frets made of maple. It has just a simple 3 way pickup selector, volume and tone. The pickups are noise canceling and are very nice. It came with a hard case that looks like a WW2 bunker. // 9

Sound: It was okay to begin with, but then I changed the strings and it's great now (Not sure what they were, but now I have Power Slinky's). I probably would get some Seymour's or DiMarzio's but I haven't thought about it. You can get a good tone with it, but my amp isn't very good, so it's probably very good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up when I bought it. The strap isn't very good because I Tye it to the guitar with it and it comes undone sometimes. It has a good neck which is what initially brought me to this guitar because it a wonder to slide and jam on this neck. And it has a big scratch on the pick guard but that is my fault hehe. I was taking off the stickers. Oh and it's a sunburst color. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this would be fine, but I would have a backup for strings. I would like to get another guitar with humbuckers as the single coils can be a bit "thin" sometimes. I think this guitar will last as well, as the screws are all well done and the like. I haven't played it at church yet but I might in a couple of days and it will be alright. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of KOL, Strokes, RHCP, stuff like that, and the Tele is kinda the Indie flagship. I have been playing for exactly 1 year, but I am very musical, get lessons and practise for 2+ hours a day and this fits me fine. I would get something else if it was stolen because I would like to try other guitars but I would consider it. It really stood out because of the neck. It is a f--king big update from my crap little Squier Strat, so yeah, and it's as good acoustically as my Maton. // 10

American Deluxe Telecaster Reviewed by: druz15_UG, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 1200

Purchased from: Avenue Guitars

Features: This thing is a glorious beast! Made in 2001 in USA. 22 medium jumbo frets with a beautifully smooth and fast C-shape maple neck with rosewood fretboard. A solid alder body finished in a rich almost shiny black color. Comes with modern double pin Fender saddles which are supposed to be really easy to adjust intonation, I haven't had to yet. Passive electronics this axe comes with two Samarium Cobalt Noiseless single coils. They sound great and unless you really crank the gain or have a lot in your signal path they really are noiseless, no hum at all. A master volume master tone knob work wonders for rolling off overdrive to clean sounds without losing too much volume, and rolling off the high end when using the bridge pickup If it is too trebly and a Standard 3 way Telecaster Switch. Fender/Schaller deluxe tuners and all chrome hardware. Comes with a molded case, owners booklet, and a cloth for getting rid of the dust and grime. Also has nice tortoiseshell binding on the top of the guitar which looks really sexy. I only rated a nine because my bridge pickup is slightly weak and lacks bass compared to the neck but this is because it was second hand and the previous owner took it apart and apparently rewired the pickups badly I just haven't got round to taking it in for a check up yet. I really should this babe is the best guitar I have ever played. Note: this is an older 2001 model so it does not have the S-1 switching feature the newer models have. // 9

Sound: I play everything from Blues, R&B, funk, rock and grunge to classic rock and sometimes things like techno inspired alt-rock a la NiN. It suits all of these styles and would do metal if I played it. I am running it through a Modded Boss DS-1 and a Biyang OD-7 into a Boss GT-8 into an Orange Tiny Terror. Straight into the TT it sounds great going from clean to Overdrive but it really shines when I've got it set up with a nice pre-amp and a smooth OD and reverb on the GT-8. I also use the GT-8 for crazy Muse-esque sound effects (like the stutter in Map of the Problematique) and it all sounds fantastic. If it ever sounds bad, it's because of the settings I'm using not the guitar. It only ever gets noisy If I'm cranking it with say fuzz or lots of FX going on, but I must say these are the quietest single coils I've ever heard. When I first got it I let my guitar tutor at Uni play it and straight away his jaw dropped and said "man this is a nice guitar" He ended up playing it for about ten minutes after the lesson and kept staring at it during saying "man that's a nice guitar". Everyone Who's seen it or heard me play it has commented on what a gem it is. All in all, floored through a decent tube amp, this thing sounds like a million bucks. It even sounded great going straight into the clean channel of my crappy Crate solid state amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup by the lads at Avenue guitars and the action is amazing, super low but absolutely no fret-buzz, plays like a dream. Hardware and construction-wise this things perfect, it's basically the top line of Telecaster you can get unless you go custom-shop so needless to say everything is perfect except for the pickup issue I mentioned which is not the factory fault. The finish and binding are perfect and I cringe whenever I bump this baby into anything or when I dinged the side a wee bit on a chair. The only tiny thing was the master volume is a wee bit loose but not at all affecting the guitar it just moves around a little bit. For a 7 year old guitar, it seems like it's Brand New, most people can't tell the difference. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged this thing a few times, and always get comments on it. It's Ultra reliable, I have gigged without a backup but I usually have backups anyway for alternate tunings and humbucker guitars etc. The hardware is solid and should last forever. It came with strap-locks on so I'm not sure the Standard strap buttons were like, I'd imagine Fender Standard. The finish will last but this is the ind of guitar you keep forever so I'd imagine in 10 or so years the finish may wear a little bit, which is cool, I like a weathered look. I've heard stories of people throwing Telecasters down stairs and aside from a few bumps, they looked the same and stayed in tune! Needless to say I'm not gonna be throwing this down any stairs in a hurry but you know you can depend on the first mass-produced electric guitar in history when it comes to durability, considering Keith Richards is still playing the first Teles he ever bought // 10

Overall Impression: This matches my styles of music perfectly especially blues and funk and rock. I have been playing 8-9 years and I also have a custom made POS Strat with a fat-ass neck, an Epiphone LP100, a Crate GT212, Boss GT-8 distortion pedals and a Tiny Terror. If it were stolen I would definitely use the insurance to get another, although I wouldn't be able to get one exactly like it, especially since the black ones don't come with the same color pick-guards anymore. I love the look, sound, playability and all-round awesomeness of the guitar. I only hate that it's previous owner Who was a collector and had it on display it's whole life put the pickups back badly and I'll need to get this fixed. My favourite features are the cream binding and noiseless pickups which make it look and sound like a million bucks. I compared it to an American Standard Telecaster and a Highway 1 Telecaster, which are both good guitars but none of them had that amazing quality guitar feel to them. When you pick up this guitar you can feel it's greatness before you even play it. // 10

American Deluxe Telecaster Reviewed by: johnpjm, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 1650

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: This particular guitar was made in 2010, it has 22 frets and the scaling is 25.5 inches. It is a very nice guitar, it has a 3-tone sunburst finish. Very nice. It has Schaller locking tuners, and WOW they help A LOT! The noiseless pick-ups sound AMAZING. The S1 Switch is really cool too, it adds some more versatility to a already versatile guitar. The fretboard is made from BEAUTIFUL Brazilian Rosewood. // 10

Sound: As many people know, Telecaster's have a distinctive twangy-sound. A very bright sound that country-players are attracted to. But it also has a GREAT rock-tone. The S1 Switch on the volume knob creates a parallel mode in the middle pick-up selection. You can get a lot of sounds from it. I use it for progressive and garage rock. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was well set-up, though, I had a professional set it up. I also adjusted the bridge pick-up to give more treble. Everything was great from the start. When you buy a Fender, you buy one the best! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The reason why I gave this a nine instead of a ten, is because mine has a few minor problems (that where fixed for free). Some of the rings you put the strings through fell off. Easy to put back in though. Also, my tone knob it's hard to move from the full-treble setting. That cause the knob to fall off. These are probably due to shipping to Canada or just a screw-up. It wasn't much of an issue though. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is amazing! There's a reason why Telecaster's have been around since the 50's! It's because they are amazing guitars! It's packed full of features and can be playing on just about every genre! I personally use it for Progressive Rock, Garage Rock and Hard Rock. If you got the cash, and the need for a Telecaster, no question, get this guitar! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014